Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 56 8.01%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 461 65.95%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 17 2.43%
I paid too much for my Membership! 34 4.86%
They will go out of business this year! 18 2.58%
Don't want anything to do with them! 113 16.17%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1641  
Old 01-21-2014, 1:06 PM
DSMeyer's Avatar
DSMeyer DSMeyer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Just south of Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,893
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Maybe?
Reply With Quote
  #1642  
Old 01-21-2014, 9:45 PM
beanz2's Avatar
beanz2 beanz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,422
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
The magazine fed shotguns that I have seen ran real well. They have the same malfunction proceedures as a mag fed rifle. Last class had the 1919 (ar looking 12 ga) he was spot on with it.
Good to hear. I'm debating whether to start shotgun classes with my Mossberg 500 or my Vepr-12. The Mossy is my under-the-bed HD gun, but it comes with no rear sight but I am very familiar with the AK manual of arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
The shoot one load one is just a emergency reload for them. Drop the spent mag and insert the fresh one. I didn't get to see how he did the select slug drill.
So it sounds like anyone with a semi-auto shotgun has to eject the buckshot first out of his chamber to do the select slug drill?
Reply With Quote
  #1643  
Old 01-21-2014, 9:51 PM
Blackhawk556's Avatar
Blackhawk556 Blackhawk556 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: FresNO, Ca
Posts: 3,558
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Anybody from the Fresno area going out there in April? I'm thinking of doing the 4 day handgun class. What road do you recommend I take going from Fresno?
Reply With Quote
  #1644  
Old 01-22-2014, 7:49 AM
AAShooter's Avatar
AAShooter AAShooter is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,334
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 View Post
Anybody from the Fresno area going out there in April? I'm thinking of doing the 4 day handgun class. What road do you recommend I take going from Fresno?
Here you go (to Pahrump):

http://goo.gl/maps/sHglP
Reply With Quote
  #1645  
Old 01-26-2014, 7:01 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Just a heads up, for anyone looking for 9mm NEW for their training class, check out freedommunitions.com They currently have 240+ boxes of 115 grain FMJ @ $126.87/500. http://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-...115n-b0500.htm

We got 1,000 rounds and put 200 rounds downrange and no issues. From my initial impression, it's a fairly clean ammo too.

They had 45 ACP for a very, very short while early on Tuesday morning of this week. They've been out of stock every other time I've checked.

Happy shooting and be safe!
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #1646  
Old 01-26-2014, 8:12 PM
DSMeyer's Avatar
DSMeyer DSMeyer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Just south of Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,893
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Cool heads up, need to replenish the tad over 700 rounds the boy shot over MLK weekend. Instructors dig kids shooting! Everyone benefits from more shooting. I couldn't believe hearing people complaining that they were almost exceeding the 600 rd requirement and they had to buy more. Good ol' Craig Bishop, " well you didn't come here to sit, did ya? You can always do a relay dry".
My son had a blast, was super nervous at first, but I told him I wanted only two things ingrained at first. First was trigger finger always high on reference point until pointed in and ready to shoot, second was always be muzzle aware, do not cover anything your willing to destroy. By day four, we was in concealment and blasting away like most first timers. Shot a 22 on paper with a total score of 46 with lates and procedures on malfunctions. A very good first time score. I created a monster, already asking when the next skill builder is.
Reply With Quote
  #1647  
Old 01-26-2014, 9:17 PM
christ on a crutch christ on a crutch is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 59
iTrader: 0 / 50%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Just a heads up, for anyone looking for 9mm NEW for their training class, check out freedommunitions.com
this is my new favorite supplier too. shot 400 rounds without a hiccup, and it left my pistol cleaner than the win white box and rem umc just before it.
Reply With Quote
  #1648  
Old 01-26-2014, 9:30 PM
ke6guj's Avatar
ke6guj ke6guj is offline
Moderator
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 909
Posts: 22,746
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
Cool heads up, need to replenish the tad over 700 rounds the boy shot over MLK weekend. Instructors dig kids shooting! Everyone benefits from more shooting. I couldn't believe hearing people complaining that they were almost exceeding the 600 rd requirement and they had to buy more. Good ol' Craig Bishop, " well you didn't come here to sit, did ya? You can always do a relay dry".
no kidding. its not early 2013 anymore, you can get ammo if you need it. I'm heading out for a 4 day handgun class with a friend and we'll each have at least 1k each in the trunk. it doesn't cost anything to bring it with us and I would hate to get in a bunch of trigger time on the first 3 days and then have to stop shooting to save enough ammo for the test.
__________________
Jack
Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #1649  
Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
no kidding. its not early 2013 anymore, you can get ammo if you need it. I'm heading out for a 4 day handgun class with a friend and we'll each have at least 1k each in the trunk. it doesn't cost anything to bring it with us and I would hate to get in a bunch of trigger time on the first 3 days and then have to stop shooting to save enough ammo for the test.
I'm hoping at least 800 rounds should be o.k. Or, I'm going to have to buy another 500 rounds...Dang! At least I got in on the X-mas special for the memberships!
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #1650  
Old 01-27-2014, 6:23 AM
Blackhorse2010 Blackhorse2010 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 699
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

John, 800 each will be fine...but it never hurts to have more.

I did two things differently when I DG'd the final test during the ID Course.

1. Drank a lot of Gatorade late morning and through lunch.
2. Made sure I smiled. Yes, it sounds stupid, but I put WAY too much pressure on myself during the 4DHG. I had shot multiple 0's and 3's throughout the ID, so I know I can shoot, so I forced myself to relax.
Reply With Quote
  #1651  
Old 01-27-2014, 7:34 AM
beanz2's Avatar
beanz2 beanz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,422
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
no kidding. its not early 2013 anymore, you can get ammo if you need it. I'm heading out for a 4 day handgun class with a friend and we'll each have at least 1k each in the trunk. it doesn't cost anything to bring it with us and I would hate to get in a bunch of trigger time on the first 3 days and then have to stop shooting to save enough ammo for the test.
While I also like to shoot more than the minimum (like when people next to you sit it out for a little), I have to keep a close eye on my ammo supply before and after a course. I'm handicapped by having to fly in and out of Vegas, so I can only carry with me, theoretically, 11 lbs of ammo. Most of the time the Southwest desk does not bother, but I have been questioned if I have more than the limit.

The only real problem I had was when I had a bunch of ammo FS disallowed (Golden Tiger 7.62x39) that I ended up shipping home by UPS.

This is rough estimate of what 11 lbs of ammo holds:
9 mm 115 gr FMJ - 400 rounds
.223 55 gr brass case - 400 rounds
7.62x39 124 gr brass case - 300 rounds
5.45x39 60 gr Hornady steel case - 375 rounds
Reply With Quote
  #1652  
Old 01-27-2014, 7:39 AM
ke6guj's Avatar
ke6guj ke6guj is offline
Moderator
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 909
Posts: 22,746
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
While I also like to shoot more than the minimum (like when people next to you sit it out for a little), I have to keep a close eye on my ammo supply before and after a course. I'm handicapped by having to fly in and out of Vegas, so I can only carry with me, theoretically, 11 lbs of ammo. Most of the time the Southwest desk does not bother, but I have been questioned if I have more than the limit.
true. and if you are buying ammo onsite, you can't just buy a 1000 rounds from them when they limit you to the course limits.

I think you can have ammo shipped to the hotel if that helps, but then that adds an extra cost as well.
__________________
Jack
Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #1653  
Old 01-27-2014, 1:23 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse2010 View Post
John, 800 each will be fine...but it never hurts to have more.

I did two things differently when I DG'd the final test during the ID Course.

1. Drank a lot of Gatorade late morning and through lunch.
2. Made sure I smiled. Yes, it sounds stupid, but I put WAY too much pressure on myself during the 4DHG. I had shot multiple 0's and 3's throughout the ID, so I know I can shoot, so I forced myself to relax.

Thanks Bud!

Ok. 800 rounds and we're good to go.

I know I tend to psych myself out on these things. I need to turn the thinking part of the brain off and just let it flow. Same thing happens when I play guitar. Close my eyes and get in the zone and it comes out right, but, if I think too much, I screw up.

And I will definitely be drinking a ton! I've had heat stroke in the past and now it seems like I'm more susceptible to it. For whatever reason, a baseball hat just seems to hold all of that heat in in my head. My hair doesn't seem to help either. I'll need to adopt a shorter cut just for FS! LOL! Need to find one of those vented hats...give my noggin' some room to breathe!

On another note, where do you store your gear while you're shooting? Keep it in the trunk of the car or do they have lockers? Is the parking close by the range?

Thanks!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #1654  
Old 01-27-2014, 2:16 PM
DSMeyer's Avatar
DSMeyer DSMeyer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Just south of Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,893
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Thanks Bud!

Ok. 800 rounds and we're good to go.

I know I tend to psych myself out on these things. I need to turn the thinking part of the brain off and just let it flow. Same thing happens when I play guitar. Close my eyes and get in the zone and it comes out right, but, if I think too much, I screw up.

And I will definitely be drinking a ton! I've had heat stroke in the past and now it seems like I'm more susceptible to it. For whatever reason, a baseball hat just seems to hold all of that heat in in my head. My hair doesn't seem to help either. I'll need to adopt a shorter cut just for FS! LOL! Need to find one of those vented hats...give my noggin' some room to breathe!

On another note, where do you store your gear while you're shooting? Keep it in the trunk of the car or do they have lockers? Is the parking close by the range?

Thanks!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get yourself a medium sized range bag. It'll hold all your gear and ammo for that day and just leave it by your seat during the day. No one will take it.
Reply With Quote
  #1655  
Old 01-27-2014, 2:38 PM
mej16489 mej16489 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,790
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
Get yourself a medium sized range bag. It'll hold all your gear and ammo for that day and just leave it by your seat during the day. No one will take it.
+1

I use one of these bags

Easily holds 2 pistols, 750 rounds of ammo (I usually bring 3x Remington UMC 250 packs) Muffs, 10 mags (5 primary gun, 5 for backup) an UPLula mag loader, bladetech holsters, mag holders, etc.

I keep a case of water in the back of the car along with protein bars and yogurt bars. I try to drink one bottle of water and have a snack every hour at the range.
Reply With Quote
  #1656  
Old 01-27-2014, 2:51 PM
GM_77 GM_77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: California
Posts: 594
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Thanks Bud!

Ok. 800 rounds and we're good to go.

I know I tend to psych myself out on these things. I need to turn the thinking part of the brain off and just let it flow. Same thing happens when I play guitar. Close my eyes and get in the zone and it comes out right, but, if I think too much, I screw up.

And I will definitely be drinking a ton! I've had heat stroke in the past and now it seems like I'm more susceptible to it. For whatever reason, a baseball hat just seems to hold all of that heat in in my head. My hair doesn't seem to help either. I'll need to adopt a shorter cut just for FS! LOL! Need to find one of those vented hats...give my noggin' some room to breathe!

On another note, where do you store your gear while you're shooting? Keep it in the trunk of the car or do they have lockers? Is the parking close by the range?

Thanks!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For what its worth get a backpack type bag that doesn't scream I have firearms. Stay away from gun brand names, molle, coyote tan, and all black. Goes a long way when traveling. Swissgear Laptop bags are pretty good for pistols and range gear.
Reply With Quote
  #1657  
Old 01-27-2014, 3:34 PM
meyerlemony's Avatar
meyerlemony meyerlemony is offline
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Valley
Posts: 303
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

New member here! Just joined with my husband.

Membership Type: Ambassador
Membership Date: 2013
Courses Taken: None yet!
Next Course: 2 day defensive handgun - confirmed for March 21, 2014

Can't wait to head out and see what this is all about! I may have questions for you all soon
Reply With Quote
  #1658  
Old 01-27-2014, 4:36 PM
beanz2's Avatar
beanz2 beanz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,422
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
true. and if you are buying ammo onsite, you can't just buy a 1000 rounds from them when they limit you to the course limits.

I think you can have ammo shipped to the hotel if that helps, but then that adds an extra cost as well.
The only time I bought ammo on site was when my Golden Tiger failed Front Sight's magnet test. Bought 400 rounds of Yugo M67 for something like $250 back then, which I thought was expensive. In retrospect I should've bought their entire M67 stock LOL (no limits on ammo purchases back then)

For us, now it is the rule than the exception that we have ammo shipped from the vendor directly to the hotel than carried in our luggage. We figure we'd have to pay to have it shipped to our home anyway, why not have it shipped to Pahrump? Within reasonable time before our arrival of course.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_77 View Post
For what its worth get a backpack type bag that doesn't scream I have firearms. Stay away from gun brand names, molle, coyote tan, and all black. Goes a long way when traveling. Swissgear Laptop bags are pretty good for pistols and range gear.
Yep. I use a medical backpack with multiple pockets and compartments. The only caveat is that when you fly home, you better check every nook and cranny for left over ammo or TSA is going to strip search you .

Actually, my wife asked a TSA person after we passed the security check at LAS if they had found a round or two, being that we were just at Front Sight hours before. He said that unless they find a handful, they wouldn't have made a big deal of it. I figure we'll be ready to show the FS course certificate if that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerlemony View Post
New member here! Just joined with my husband.

Membership Type: Ambassador
Membership Date: 2013
Courses Taken: None yet!
Next Course: 2 day defensive handgun - confirmed for March 21, 2014

Can't wait to head out and see what this is all about! I may have questions for you all soon
Welcome! This FAQ will answer a lot of your questions, but ask away.
Reply With Quote
  #1659  
Old 01-27-2014, 4:43 PM
AAShooter's Avatar
AAShooter AAShooter is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,334
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerlemony View Post
New member here! Just joined with my husband.

Membership Type: Ambassador
Membership Date: 2013
Courses Taken: None yet!
Next Course: 2 day defensive handgun - confirmed for March 21, 2014

Can't wait to head out and see what this is all about! I may have questions for you all soon
If you can make it happen, I would really encourage taking the 4-day course. Regardless, you will learn a great deal and have a lot of fun. Welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #1660  
Old 01-27-2014, 4:48 PM
Michael_Js's Avatar
Michael_Js Michael_Js is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Greater Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,103
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerlemony View Post
New member here! Just joined with my husband.

Membership Type: Ambassador
Membership Date: 2013
Courses Taken: None yet!
Next Course: 2 day defensive handgun - confirmed for March 21, 2014

Can't wait to head out and see what this is all about! I may have questions for you all soon
Cool! You're going to the same course, 2 weeks after my fiance and I take it! Neither of us have the time for a 4-day course, since we need 2 days of travel...

Thanks...
Michael J.
__________________
__________________
Greater Seattle, WA!!
NRA, IDPA, 2nd Call
Reply With Quote
  #1661  
Old 01-27-2014, 5:42 PM
ke6guj's Avatar
ke6guj ke6guj is offline
Moderator
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 909
Posts: 22,746
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Cool! You're going to the same course, 2 weeks after my fiance and I take it! Neither of us have the time for a 4-day course, since we need 2 days of travel...

Thanks...
Michael J.
the unfortunate thing is that the option to take "day 3 and 4", aka the skill builder, is usually only offered during the week but for 2-3 times a year when they do offer a "weekend" class.
__________________
Jack
Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #1662  
Old 01-27-2014, 6:03 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
Get yourself a medium sized range bag. It'll hold all your gear and ammo for that day and just leave it by your seat during the day. No one will take it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
+1

I use one of these bags

Easily holds 2 pistols, 750 rounds of ammo (I usually bring 3x Remington UMC 250 packs) Muffs, 10 mags (5 primary gun, 5 for backup) an UPLula mag loader, bladetech holsters, mag holders, etc.

I keep a case of water in the back of the car along with protein bars and yogurt bars. I try to drink one bottle of water and have a snack every hour at the range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_77 View Post
For what its worth get a backpack type bag that doesn't scream I have firearms. Stay away from gun brand names, molle, coyote tan, and all black. Goes a long way when traveling. Swissgear Laptop bags are pretty good for pistols and range gear.
Thanks for all of the suggestions! Yeah, I try to keep it pretty low-key. I hate to broadcast to the neighbors or anybody within sight that I'm headed to the range or that I've got firearms.

That said, it's really tough to find a decent way to transport all of your gear to the range. I just picked up a Midway Range Bag. REALLY versatile and a decent price. Only problem is that it's so big, you wind up bringing too much stuff and it gets too heavy (for me anyways). I used a sharpie and blacked out the Midway logo part of it and it looks a little less like a range bag. For just heading to the range, this is o.k. I've got a nice little canvas tool bag for all of the ammo now too. It will easily carry 500 rounds or so.

I've actually taken a lot of the stuff out of that range bag to get the weight down and I've found that I really don't need all of that extra stuff. Trying to strip down to the basics.

What I'll probably do for FS is to pair everything down into several smaller bags. One for me and the wife to carry our pistol/mags/ears/eyes & ammo. I'll keep all of the other stuff in the trunk.

One thing that kind of complicates things is that CA transport requires a locked container. I do have a locking trunk, but transport back and forth between the car and hotel etc poses a bit of a problem. I monkeyed the stock Midway pistol rug with a plastic zip tie to make it locking. Yes, I know that CA doesn't really specify what exactly makes a locking container, but I'd hate to get hassled by LEO over my home-made/bubba'd locking pistol case. I was thinking of getting a double pistol case and lock that-The Voodoo Tactical Swank(?) pistol case looks like it will fit two pistols. This way, we both can carry our primary and backup pistol to and from the range and it will meet the requirements of the finicky CA laws.

Another question-do they let you walk around with your pistol holstered from the beginning? Or, do you have to keep all firearms in their case until you start class?

Thanks again for everything!!!

Happy shooting and be safe.
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #1663  
Old 01-27-2014, 6:13 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerlemony View Post
New member here! Just joined with my husband.

Membership Type: Ambassador
Membership Date: 2013
Courses Taken: None yet!
Next Course: 2 day defensive handgun - confirmed for March 21, 2014

Can't wait to head out and see what this is all about! I may have questions for you all soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
If you can make it happen, I would really encourage taking the 4-day course. Regardless, you will learn a great deal and have a lot of fun. Welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Cool! You're going to the same course, 2 weeks after my fiance and I take it! Neither of us have the time for a 4-day course, since we need 2 days of travel...

Thanks...
Michael J.
The 4 Day Defensive HG training that starts on Monday worked out perfect for us. Taking a whole week off of work, we travel on Saturday down to FS, spend Sunday to rest up and get acquainted with the town. Mon-Thur training and rest up on Friday. Drive back home on Saturday and rest up some more on Sunday. Back to work on Monday (ugh).

It just seemed like it was tough to justify taking only a 2 day class when I'm already spending a whole day driving to and from.

In any event, I hope you guys enjoy the class! Make sure to post a mini-review afterwards!

Happy shooting and be safe.
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #1664  
Old 01-27-2014, 6:20 PM
meyerlemony's Avatar
meyerlemony meyerlemony is offline
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Valley
Posts: 303
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Thanks everyone! Would love to do the 4 day, but I've only been at my current job for a year (next month!) and it is tough to take a 4 day weekend like that. Looks like it is offered in April/May and November a few times this year, so maybe as I get more comfortable sneaking away from work we'll make it happen.

It sounds like it is possible to change my mind and switch into the 4 day as long as I do it at least 2 weeks out. Schedule says they are starting a 4 day on the 21st as well. I'll have to ponder that one

I just finished reading most of this thread, and I'll work my way through the FAQs. I think I've about got it. Primary handgun + backup, 4 magazines, auto loader, 800 rounds or so of ammo (for primary + backup), dress in layers, drink TONS, pack electrolytes, and sleep as much as possible. I think I'll pack a big cooler and make my own lunches, because sometimes food doesn't agree with me, and I'd rather not get sick in porta potty land.

I have a perfect backpack that will fit my primary + backup, snacks, water, and all my ammo. Let's go! We're reserved at the Best Western for now, Silverton is booked up but that's ok.
Reply With Quote
  #1665  
Old 01-27-2014, 6:29 PM
acegunnr's Avatar
acegunnr acegunnr is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 1,872
iTrader: 178 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Another question-do they let you walk around with your pistol holstered from the beginning? Or, do you have to keep all firearms in their case until you start class?
Pahrump is open carry (loaded) friendly. Strap your pistol on when you leave your hotel and going around town. Front Sight requires it to be unloaded before you enter their front gate. You usually see cars pull over on Front Sight Road and Tecopa Rd. to unload (coming) or to load up (leaving).

Last edited by acegunnr; 01-27-2014 at 6:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1666  
Old 01-27-2014, 6:36 PM
Blackhorse2010 Blackhorse2010 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 699
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions! Yeah, I try to keep it pretty low-key. I hate to broadcast to the neighbors or anybody within sight that I'm headed to the range or that I've got firearms.

That said, it's really tough to find a decent way to transport all of your gear to the range. I just picked up a Midway Range Bag. REALLY versatile and a decent price. Only problem is that it's so big, you wind up bringing too much stuff and it gets too heavy (for me anyways). I used a sharpie and blacked out the Midway logo part of it and it looks a little less like a range bag. For just heading to the range, this is o.k. I've got a nice little canvas tool bag for all of the ammo now too. It will easily carry 500 rounds or so.

I've actually taken a lot of the stuff out of that range bag to get the weight down and I've found that I really don't need all of that extra stuff. Trying to strip down to the basics.

What I'll probably do for FS is to pair everything down into several smaller bags. One for me and the wife to carry our pistol/mags/ears/eyes & ammo. I'll keep all of the other stuff in the trunk.

One thing that kind of complicates things is that CA transport requires a locked container. I do have a locking trunk, but transport back and forth between the car and hotel etc poses a bit of a problem. I monkeyed the stock Midway pistol rug with a plastic zip tie to make it locking. Yes, I know that CA doesn't really specify what exactly makes a locking container, but I'd hate to get hassled by LEO over my home-made/bubba'd locking pistol case. I was thinking of getting a double pistol case and lock that-The Voodoo Tactical Swank(?) pistol case looks like it will fit two pistols. This way, we both can carry our primary and backup pistol to and from the range and it will meet the requirements of the finicky CA laws.

Another question-do they let you walk around with your pistol holstered from the beginning? Or, do you have to keep all firearms in their case until you start class?

Thanks again for everything!!!

Happy shooting and be safe.
On Day 1 you'll get there and put your belt/mag pouches/holster on in the parking lot. Take the rest of your gear (including pistols in the cases) to the check in at the little trailer (have your DL's out) and they'll point you to the inspection area.
There, an instructor will check your equipment and remove the pistols from the cases, ensure they're unloaded, and make sure they're functional (make sure you have at least one empty mag per gun handy).
After that, the instructor will place the gun into your holster and tell you to not f*ck around with it. If at any time you're NOT on the firing line and the gun needs to come out of the holster, let an instructor know and "give him/her your hip", then they'll take it out for you.
Once you're done with check-in, depending on what range you go to (usually Range 1A-1E for the first two days), you can drop your bags at the range next to the chairs and go into the classroom.
On subsequent days, you're expected to show up "fully dressed" with an unloaded gun.
No one has ever had their stuff intentionally taken from a range.
Note: Don't take all 600 rounds to the range every day. 200 per day is plenty.
Reply With Quote
  #1667  
Old 01-27-2014, 6:58 PM
acegunnr's Avatar
acegunnr acegunnr is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 1,872
iTrader: 178 / 100%
Default

Any else get the call about getting your own Front Sight personal concierge?
Reply With Quote
  #1668  
Old 01-27-2014, 7:03 PM
AAShooter's Avatar
AAShooter AAShooter is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,334
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Any else get the call about getting your own Front Sight personal concierge?
What's the offer?
Reply With Quote
  #1669  
Old 01-27-2014, 7:06 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerlemony View Post
Thanks everyone! Would love to do the 4 day, but I've only been at my current job for a year (next month!) and it is tough to take a 4 day weekend like that. Looks like it is offered in April/May and November a few times this year, so maybe as I get more comfortable sneaking away from work we'll make it happen.

It sounds like it is possible to change my mind and switch into the 4 day as long as I do it at least 2 weeks out. Schedule says they are starting a 4 day on the 21st as well. I'll have to ponder that one

I just finished reading most of this thread, and I'll work my way through the FAQs. I think I've about got it. Primary handgun + backup, 4 magazines, auto loader, 800 rounds or so of ammo (for primary + backup), dress in layers, drink TONS, pack electrolytes, and sleep as much as possible. I think I'll pack a big cooler and make my own lunches, because sometimes food doesn't agree with me, and I'd rather not get sick in porta potty land.

I have a perfect backpack that will fit my primary + backup, snacks, water, and all my ammo. Let's go! We're reserved at the Best Western for now, Silverton is booked up but that's ok.
Ahhh...New job. I know THAT feeling all too well. Hopefully this new job will turn out to be a great job for you!

IIRC, they now have flushing toilets at FS right? I mean...RIGHT!?!?!? If not, I just may need to re-think this whole thing! J/K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Pahrump is open carry (loaded) friendly. Strap your pistol on when you leave your hotel and going around town. Front Sight requires it to be unloaded before you enter their front gate. You usually see cars pull over on Front Sight Road and Tecopa Rd. to unload (coming) or to load up (leaving).
Being a California native, I just may freak out a little when I see that. But, ME?! Carrying a pistol?! Loaded?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse2010 View Post
On Day 1 you'll get there and put your belt/mag pouches/holster on in the parking lot. Take the rest of your gear (including pistols in the cases) to the check in at the little trailer (have your DL's out) and they'll point you to the inspection area.
There, an instructor will check your equipment and remove the pistols from the cases, ensure they're unloaded, and make sure they're functional (make sure you have at least one empty mag per gun handy).
After that, the instructor will place the gun into your holster and tell you to not f*ck around with it. If at any time you're NOT on the firing line and the gun needs to come out of the holster, let an instructor know and "give him/her your hip", then they'll take it out for you.
Once you're done with check-in, depending on what range you go to (usually Range 1A-1E for the first two days), you can drop your bags at the range next to the chairs and go into the classroom.
On subsequent days, you're expected to show up "fully dressed" with an unloaded gun.
No one has ever had their stuff intentionally taken from a range.
Note: Don't take all 600 rounds to the range every day. 200 per day is plenty.
As always, thanks for all of the detail & help!

This thread really came back around and has been a GREAT SOURCE of information. I'm almost thinking maybe even Sticky-worthy!
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #1670  
Old 01-27-2014, 7:06 PM
acegunnr's Avatar
acegunnr acegunnr is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 1,872
iTrader: 178 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
What's the offer?
It is probably going to lead to this...

http://gvc.frontsight.com/
Reply With Quote
  #1671  
Old 01-27-2014, 7:17 PM
LCU1670's Avatar
LCU1670 LCU1670 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coachella Valley
Posts: 2,425
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Any else get the call about getting your own Front Sight personal concierge?
Not yet, will it be the greatest offer ever?
__________________
Waterborne!

Commander of Front Sight Member
Reply With Quote
  #1672  
Old 01-27-2014, 8:36 PM
beanz2's Avatar
beanz2 beanz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,422
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
It is probably going to lead to this...

http://gvc.frontsight.com/
Uh oh, here comes the again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post

IIRC, they now have flushing toilets at FS right? I mean...RIGHT!?!?!? If not, I just may need to re-think this whole thing! J/K!
It depends what range you're assigned to and how far you want to walk. At ranges 1-8, you really have no choice but to use the "Comfort Station," nice flushing toilets with running water to wash up. From Rifle 1, ranges 10-19, to Rifle 2 and 3, you can use the "Brown Rooms." Not too bad if you're a guy, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Pahrump is open carry (loaded) friendly. Strap your pistol on when you leave your hotel and going around town.
Funny thing is, the locals say when you see a guy open carrying in town, he is usually a FS student lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerlemony View Post
I just finished reading most of this thread, and I'll work my way through the FAQs. I think I've about got it. Primary handgun + backup, 4 magazines, auto loader, 800 rounds or so of ammo (for primary + backup), dress in layers, drink TONS, pack electrolytes, and sleep as much as possible. I think I'll pack a big cooler and make my own lunches, because sometimes food doesn't agree with me, and I'd rather not get sick in porta potty land.

I have a perfect backpack that will fit my primary + backup, snacks, water, and all my ammo. Let's go! We're reserved at the Best Western for now, Silverton is booked up but that's ok.
We like to buy frozen pizza or something from the freezer at Walmart and cook them in the microwave ovens FS provides. The rooms at the Best Western have small refrigerators with tiny freezers to keep those. Sometimes we bring food from Panda Express or Subway for lunch.

Worse come to worst, you can make PBJ sandwiches at the Best Western breakfast buffet and have it for lunch

Reply With Quote
  #1673  
Old 01-27-2014, 8:40 PM
DSMeyer's Avatar
DSMeyer DSMeyer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Just south of Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,893
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
It is probably going to lead to this...

http://gvc.frontsight.com/
Holy hell! Is this a shooting academy or some type of late night QVC channel? Dr P is really throwing a huge effing net for cash. It's no wonder there are so many haters out there. From all of the member manipulation to the pyramid type scenes and infomercial style pitches and sales. He's his own worse enemy. Talk about straying from the original course.
Reply With Quote
  #1674  
Old 01-28-2014, 4:50 AM
Blackhorse2010 Blackhorse2010 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 699
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Ahhh...New job. I know THAT feeling all too well. Hopefully this new job will turn out to be a great job for you!

IIRC, they now have flushing toilets at FS right? I mean...RIGHT!?!?!? If not, I just may need to re-think this whole thing! J/K!



Being a California native, I just may freak out a little when I see that. But, ME?! Carrying a pistol?! Loaded?!



As always, thanks for all of the detail & help!

This thread really came back around and has been a GREAT SOURCE of information. I'm almost thinking maybe even Sticky-worthy!
Oh yeah, if you're not wearing cargo shorts/pants, you may want to add a small dump bag onto your belt.
It'll keep you from being "that guy" taking boxes of ammo onto the firing line, or from having to make repeated trips back to the shade area to replenish your ammo.
Of course, if you come out in the summer, repeated trips to the shade is pretty nice.

Edit: Save your money and don't buy a concealment vest (as shown on the site).
If you're going in the warmer/summer months, a windbreaker or light jacket will work.
Hell, you can even use an old button-down shirt.
Anything, as long as it covers the gun.

Last edited by Blackhorse2010; 01-28-2014 at 6:05 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #1675  
Old 01-28-2014, 8:38 AM
meyerlemony's Avatar
meyerlemony meyerlemony is offline
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Valley
Posts: 303
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

All great tips! Really appreciate all of the info here.

XDJYo: The job is AMAZING!! It really is my dream job. I did construction litigation (defense side) from 2006-Feb. 2013, and then I started in-house at this architectural firm (hint: we're ranked #1 of the top 100 architectural firms in the world). It is such a fun place to work, with really creative individuals, and I get to apply all of that litigation knowledge to "prevention" rather than "triage." (Which is all litigation really is.) I get to teach, too, which is amazing.

beanz2: I'm going to go "fancy" on the lunch I'll hit our Whole Foods on the way out for sandwich fixins. I'm thinking of my favorite long-hike sandwich, roast chicken, mozzarella, olive spread, and basil on sourdough. And some kettle chips, and a cookie from the WF bakery.

Blackhorse2010: I think I'm going to pick up a few pairs of the 5.11 women's breathable / stretch cargo pants. They look to be a little tougher than my standard cargo / hiking pants that I usually get from REI / Columbia. I've got great button-down sun shirts that I use for hot weather hiking, so I'll throw those in too.

I'm totally geeking out over being able to carry in a holster while I'm there. Silly, but a friend of mine that's been to front sight was giving me some beginner tips and I had my holster on in my living room, and I was having fun just walking around with it on. Husband thought it was hilarious.

I've floated the idea of switching to 4 day, lets see if the husband and/or job go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #1676  
Old 01-28-2014, 9:06 AM
Blackhorse2010 Blackhorse2010 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 699
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Be sure to get a sturdy belt like the Blackhawk or Galco instructors belt.
Reply With Quote
  #1677  
Old 01-28-2014, 9:10 AM
DSMeyer's Avatar
DSMeyer DSMeyer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Just south of Los Angeles.
Posts: 1,893
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

If you can, really switch to the four day class. The four day is really MORE geared to personal/home defense compared to the two day. On day two night is the tactics lecture. The beginning day three is monsters inc. as well as scenarios sim bay. Followed by learning to present from concealment. Day three and four are so much worth the added two days. Then you'll be better educated and aware of what's expected if you on the 2 day skill builders.
Reply With Quote
  #1678  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM
mej16489 mej16489 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,790
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerlemony View Post
Blackhorse2010: I think I'm going to pick up a few pairs of the 5.11 women's breathable / stretch cargo pants. They look to be a little tougher than my standard cargo / hiking pants that I usually get from REI / Columbia. I've got great button-down sun shirts that I use for hot weather hiking, so I'll throw those in too.
That's exactly what my wife wears too.
Reply With Quote
  #1679  
Old 01-28-2014, 1:08 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

***BIG HEADS UP! For 5.11 gear, LA Police Gear is having a 30% off that ends tonight at midnight! Coupon code is FIVE1130. The email I got said it was a single use coupon. So not sure if it's tied to my login or not.

Hope someone gets to out it to good use!

That said, I recently bought both the 5.11 and the Blackhawks lightweight tactical pants. I prefer the BH over the 5.11. A few nicer touches, like the hidden expanding waist, the zipper pockets on the thigh, mag pouches inside the cargo pouch and a zippered hidden pocket on the RH side.

Happy shooting and be safe!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-Stainless
Glock Gen 4 G19 (Wifes)
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Reply With Quote
  #1680  
Old 01-28-2014, 1:55 PM
meyerlemony's Avatar
meyerlemony meyerlemony is offline
CGSSA Associate
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Valley
Posts: 303
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Wow XDJYo, THANKS!

Talk about major enabling of my gear shopping

I went by their size chart, so we'll see if my guesses are right on the size. If not it looks like exchanges are pretty easy. Also picking up the good 5.11 gunner's belts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:33 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.