Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-10-2014, 6:10 PM

Default Gun Safe Recommendations

Hello Ladies

I am looking for a small gun safe for new gun owner and wanted to solicit your opinions. She is a grandmother in her early 60s, is often taking care of her toddler grandson, and has decided to keep a Glock 19 for family defense.

I have been pouring over reviews for all sorts of small safes on Amazon.

If you have any recommendations for a first-time handgun and safe owner, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all in advance
Old 01-10-2014, 6:49 PM

For the price point this safe is tough to beat http://www.amazon.com/ParaGuard-Elec...pr_product_top. It is not fort knox but it does have decent weight and it has several options for bolting it down. Add in some ammo and the weight gets quite substantial. Mine arrived in good condition, but there was an interior scratch from the shelf banging around - imo it is inside so who cares. The combination can be custom programmed and there is an option to silence the keypad.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 PM

60yo, new gun owner, Glock 19 for home defense with kids in the house..

Can't wait to see how this pans out.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 01-11-2014, 6:12 AM
Banned

Grandma needs to take a defensive pistol class first... engaging a bad guy is one thing, engaging a bad guy(s) with a baby?
Old 01-11-2014, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickshooter View Post
For the price point this safe is tough to beat http://www.amazon.com/ParaGuard-Elec...pr_product_top. It is not fort knox but it does have decent weight and it has several options for bolting it down. Add in some ammo and the weight gets quite substantial. Mine arrived in good condition, but there was an interior scratch from the shelf banging around - imo it is inside so who cares. The combination can be custom programmed and there is an option to silence the keypad.
Hi,

I really appreciate the recommendation. Originally I was looking at safes much smaller than this (something that fits and bolts inside a drawer or under a bed) so she can keep her handgun and maybe a few small things in there. However your recommendation should definitely provide more options. I figure this one may be best hidden inside a closet and she can keep a few more valuables in there.

Thanks again!

Last edited by LT1Silverhawk; 01-11-2014 at 9:09 AM.. Reason: bad gramur
Old 01-11-2014, 8:58 AM

Gun vault mvb http://www.gunvault.com/microvault-b...ic-mvb500.html
Old 01-11-2014, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Stop the presses folks. Isn;t there some stupid law that states that ANY safe that is used to hold firearms MUST be DOJ approved/meet certain criteria? Usually being DOJ approved is a selling point.

I could be wrong, just sayin... Woulnd't that suxorZ for her if something ever DId happen and she got popped because she had a non DOJ approved safe?
Old 01-11-2014, 6:09 PM

FWIW, my FFL investigated the specs on my safe and it meets the requirements to fulfill the safe affidavit. I trust their judgement as they have a business at stake. If the DOJ shows up and tells me differently, i will adjust accordingly. Many of the stack on units qualify, and they are inferior quality to the one i recommended.
Old 01-11-2014, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
engaging a bad guy is one thing, engaging a bad guy(s) with a baby?
i think she is going to use the gun, not the baby but i could be mistaken.
Old 01-11-2014, 7:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickshooter View Post
i think she is going to use the gun, not the baby but i could be mistaken.
engaging bad guy(s) while protecting a baby? Come on! Do you hold the baby in front of you? or behind you? How do you do that? Defending yourself against a single threat is tough enough, let alone trying to protect an infant.... A 60 year old Grandma who has never shot a handgun in her life? even from a bench on a static target, with NO defensive handgun skills, or training, or experience, what do think the outcome will be?
Old 01-11-2014, 8:39 PM

I would like to respectfully ask: please stop the assumptions and unrelated advice - as good and well-intentioned as it may be - and stay on the topic. Should the need arise, the other topics can be discussed in their own threads. Nothing wrong has been said; this thread is stricly for safe recommendations.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bravo1p View Post
Hi 11bravo1,

Thank you. I have looked at the biometric safes but I am not fully sold on their reliability, especially during a stressful situation. but I have not ruled them out of the suggestions list and the one you recommended seems to have pretty good reviews.

Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2014, 3:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
engaging bad guy(s) while protecting a baby? Come on! Do you hold the baby in front of you? or behind you? How do you do that? Defending yourself against a single threat is tough enough, let alone trying to protect an infant.... A 60 year old Grandma who has never shot a handgun in her life? even from a bench on a static target, with NO defensive handgun skills, or training, or experience, what do think the outcome will be?
Come on man. WE all know that babies do not make good shields or butt packs, (even though they are very soft to land on) so the only way to properly use a baby in a firefight is to throw the baby at the assailant (because NOBODY wants to be known as a baby dropper...)

Now come on, back to safes.

OP:
Personally, when it comes to things like this, if there is really only 1 or so guns and minor valuables to be secured, then I would consider one of those GUN VAULTS or whatever that have a hand imprint on them and you pick a combination of the 5 fingers to open, then just tap that combo and it springs open and you can grab your gun. I have one but I forgot if it was considered good for DOJ, so now it just sits in the middle of the room collecting dust. I HAVE seen a few models that DID say DOJ approved. These thigns were little and cost around $100 or less usually at shows and what not. Plus, it seems simple enough even when the adenaline is flowing to just tap 3-5 times and open it up...

Last edited by stilly; 01-12-2014 at 3:23 AM..
Old 01-12-2014, 8:02 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Silverhawk View Post
I would like to respectfully ask: please stop the assumptions and unrelated advice - as good and well-intentioned as it may be - and stay on the topic. Should the need arise, the other topics can be discussed in their own threads. Nothing wrong has been said; this thread is stricly for safe recommendations.
Thank you. .....................

I like your assertive style!
I hope you become a frequent poster here in the Ladies' Forum!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buy a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
This^

Also, you can check the DOJ site for the approved safes/firearm safety devices. http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
OP:
Personally, when it comes to things like this, if there is really only 1 or so guns and minor valuables to be secured, then I would consider one of those GUN VAULTS or whatever that have a hand imprint on them and you pick a combination of the 5 fingers to open, then just tap that combo and it springs open and you can grab your gun. I have one but I forgot if it was considered good for DOJ, so now it just sits in the middle of the room collecting dust. I HAVE seen a few models that DID say DOJ approved. These thigns were little and cost around $100 or less usually at shows and what not. Plus, it seems simple enough even when the adenaline is flowing to just tap 3-5 times and open it up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally View Post
This^

Also, you can check the DOJ site for the approved safes/firearm safety devices. http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist
Thank you! I'll browse through that list and see which safes have solid reviews. Thanks for the details on the Gun Vaults as well. I was not aware that it was a five finger combo. Just thought all you had to do was line up the fingers at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
Lol thanks! I'm sure I'll posting here seeking help and advice from the experienced so I don't make any mistakes or incorrect assumptions in assisting any lady gun owners and shooters.