Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-05-2014, 5:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Congrats on your service, 9 reasons I won't hire you

Some very specific and good advice for transitioning veterans. For folks who are leaving (there are lots now due to wars ending), this guy speaks the truth. I've been on both ends, as a hiring manager and as a terrible interviewee (you mean you can't drop the F bomb during an interview?).

http://www.careerattraction.com/cong...wont-hire-you/
Old 01-05-2014, 5:11 PM

Good stuff, and I'm sure there are some points in those articles that vets won't take into account themselves.

Proud Member of:
Old 01-05-2014, 8:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

when I was much younger than I'am today I was specifically told they wont hire me because I was in the Reserves.

it sure sucks knowing that you are qualified for the job you weren't an idiot and know that you didn't get it for serving your country. that is what I have taken in the last 10 years of war. I decided to work for the Army atleast there when I have duty or when I got deployed it's no big deal it's more like see you when you get back.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-05-2014, 8:39 PM
Professional Beer Drinker
CGN Contributor

Don't have a linkedin profile? Seriously? No thanks. If not having a Facebook profile is grounds to not hire me then I think I'd rather not work there.
Old 01-05-2014, 8:49 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Uh, didn't get much out of this. I guess some companies and recruiters are different.
Old 01-05-2014, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

The problem with this is most employers (middle management) are too stupid to realize the benefit of hiring vets. Especially in today's time. They believe all veterans have ptsd and and are going to become psychopathic killers. And despite anything else troops transitioning out of the service are not taught how to write resumes or how to translate their skills. Many fortune 500 companies are veteran owned and operated.

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 01-05-2014, 9:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I have never been asked about social media or having a LinkedIn profile. Ive worked blue and white collar jobs.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Vendor/Retailer

They don't need to ask. Our hiring manager uses it all the time to cross reference folks' connections during resume review.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Civilians suck
Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dmedic View Post
Civilians suck
I have been saying that since I got out in 79. It only gets worse. Once I was on an interview team. A 23 year old kid that had done the job he was there to get somewhere else.
He said he worked construction, operated heavy equipment, managed 100 people as the foreman and worked for our company as a driver for 4 years.
For me, don't over sell yourself. Don't lie, don't cuss and don't talk down to anyone on the team. Answer the questions and ask questions.

Civilians lack much of what was drilled into us throughout our military time.
Discipline, loyalty, sense of urgency and honor to his team and company.
As an NCO, we understood we were only as good as our members. we take care of them, they take care of us.
Civilian foremen and others in management aren't taught that and have a weird relationship with their workers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 01-06-2014, 6:53 AM

Roger that sir!

They just say and do the dumbest Shiite. I had a guy once ask me how many people have I killed "over there"...in the interview...I was like WTF? I just stood up and left.

Another lady in an interview was like, you're not gonna start killing people or anything are you? Are you effin' serious? Where do they get these people?

I've been having a real hard time finding work. I just got a job working undercover for an undisclosed corporate giant. Finding internal and external thieves. Having a blast so far. But the civilians are just killing me. They are plain retarded. I didn't know the term "FO SHO" or phrase,"i was almost harlem shaking," was even acceptable when speaking to someone in authority.

Jesus Mary and Joseph, WTF is going on in this country...was I gone that much?...crap!

Last edited by 18Dmedic; 01-06-2014 at 6:55 AM..
Old 01-06-2014, 9:36 AM

The biggest hurdle I've encountered on the hiring side is the lack of translation of the skills/experience from the military to those required for the position that is available.

The best-qualified person (as determined from the interviews) typically is hired, so if someone cannot explain his/her potential value to MY organization, then the person's chances of getting the position are not as good as the candidate who can.
Old 01-06-2014, 9:58 AM

I've noted that it's beneficial to a returning veteran if they can get an "interim" job that may not be exactly in line with their ultimate career goal. The transition from active military to civilian isn't always that easy, but that "interim" job just might take the edge off of the difficulty.

I've also noted that many employers (and interviewers) are impressed with returning veterans that have enrolled in college, or taking college courses. It means that the veteran is trying to better him/herself beyond the education that they received while in the military. Even if you have merely enrolled, but not currently attending classes says that you have the desire to better yourself.

Times have changed! The PTSD "thing" is more prominent nowadays, due to the overexposure through the rapidity of the "new" media focuses. What I mean is, back in 1970, when I got out of the military, NO ONE seemed to think that PTSD was a reality, mainly because it wasn't focused upon in any way. Now, PTSD is one of the FIRST things that employers MIGHT think about, especially if the interviewee is a returning combat vet. That's due to the small percentage of TRUE PTSD cases having been so closely scrutinized by the news media. Don't know what can be said in an interview, other than something along the lines of, "That was YESTERDAY, I'm no longer in the military, and this is NOW! My military experience is in the past, not the present, not in the future!"
Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Roger that sir!

They just say and do the dumbest Shiite. I had a guy once ask me how many people have I killed "over there"...in the interview...I was like WTF? I just stood up and left.

Another lady in an interview was like, you're not gonna start killing people or anything are you? Are you effin' serious? Where do they get these people?
Both reasonable questions when you have 20 inch biceps and your self summary just says #OAF
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM

are you filipino?

Quote:
Roger that sir!

I've been having a real hard time finding work. I just got a job working undercover for an undisclosed corporate giant. Finding internal and external thieves. Having a blast so far. But the civilians are just killing me. They are plain retarded. I didn't know the term "FO SHO" or phrase,"i was almost harlem shaking," was even acceptable when speaking to someone in authority.

Jesus Mary and Joseph, WTF is going on in this country...was I gone that much?...crap!

Looking for a RIA 1911 Tactical
Old 01-25-2014, 3:40 PM

Once I got off of Active duty it took almost 6 years to get back to the level of responsibility I had in the Army. I have had a great career and each job has allowed me to move further but you do have to start earlier

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"