Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Any Army or USMC recruiters in here?

Any Army or USMC recruiters in here? or anyone that knows someone who has recently enlisted?

I know wars are winding down and there are budget cuts and all that. Just wondering the CURRENT wait time between the point where you walk into the recruiters office to the point they ship you to boot camp. 2006 doesn't count as current

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:29 AM

DEPS (Delayed Enlistment Program, the 3-4 month period, typically where one is awaiting to ship to Basic/Boot) is typically a 3-4 month time period, yeah I already typed that; where you simply wait out going to recruit training. The Army puts you in the Future Soldier program the Marine Corps something similar. From the Active Duty guys I talked to in Initial Entry Training (IET, an Army thing) you meet once or twice a week to PT for an hour or so and learn military customs and get told what training/boot camp is like.

Army, you chose your MOS (job) and get 100% dialed in for it. Marine Corps I believe you pick your field, Marine Corps Reserve you can actually pick the actual MOS. Keep in mind, figure out whether or not you're color blind or not, for the Army it's kinda a big deal (it severely limits your MOS options to about 8, with the Marine Corps, it just keeps you out of later getting into SF or becoming a pilot --- 0311 (infantry) doesn't care if you're color blind, 11B (Army infantry) really cares.
Google the Ishihara test, the numbers in the color coded circles, is what they typically off of. If you're set on the Army and you're severely color blind, such as I am, the biggest combat related MOS's (not Combat Arms, but will serve in very close quarters with Combat Arms) are 68W (medic), 88M (truck driver, due to IED casualties have faced a high number of injuries and casualties), 31B, MP.

Also check out HIPPA. Not to be too specific, but the DOD's (the military) sole form of access to your medical records are what you put down on paper work; you trackin'?
No food allergies; right?
You can also go online and find out what medical, criminal and personality/mental past is deniable for enlistment.

Shop around and research as much as you can, do your homework and make sure your completely and competent to easily pass the Army/USMC PT test. In Basic/Recruit Training/Boot you'll be doing them at like 4 o'clock in the morning, none of that wake up at 9 and jog at noon on the beach crap I was so accustomed to.

Army IET is the entire time you are in training to be MOS Qualified (MOS Q'd), anywhere from like 3-4 months to up to a year. You'll learn far less regarding combat movements and badass Rambo type stuff than you think. The Army emphasizes you learning that kind of stuff once you become MOS Q and get sent to your unit. From what I experienced, I believe the Army was 'over' spending good money on ****bags (bad soldiers) who were kicked out; why show them stuff that would make them better criminals, or waste good training money on them?

As for the Marine Corps, I assume you'd learn far more combat related tactical stuff in Basic than you would in the Army, unless you're Combat Arms due to what I explained in the previous paragraph and the Marine Corps emphases on being a more mobile force with a higher (percentage wise) infantry force. Though don't let this escape you, every Soldier (in the Army, Marines are Marines) is a rifleman, you shoot and qualify twice a year, regardless of MOS.

You wrote of wars winding down and implying a longer wait time before shipping out to Basic/Boot, I assume to anticipate a better international climate for your prospective military service.
Every Serviceman, be it Airman or Marine is there to risk their life to defend the United States Constitution (you explicitly take an Oath to this), the People, follow the orders of the President and the orders of those above you. Take this into serious consideration before you enlist to receive the government benefits and social prestige of military service in a post-9/11 America.
Gay marriage, guns, a bureaucratic community college system, mandatory 10 day waiting periods, beautifully-ethinically-diverse-and-often-stuck-up-spoiled hot girls, marijuana licenses, San Francisco & Los Angeles, legislation for paparazzi, rioting in celebration (when the Lakers win), rioting for injustice (Rodney King), Celebrities Rights Laws, and non-stop beautiful weather; what not to like about our glorious People's Republic?

Last edited by slicknickns; 12-30-2013 at 12:32 AM..
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickns View Post
You wrote of wars winding down and implying a longer wait time before shipping out to Basic/Boot, I assume to anticipate a better international climate for your prospective military service.
Every Serviceman, be it Airman or Marine is there to risk their life to defend the United States Constitution (you explicitly take an Oath to this), the People, follow the orders of the President and the orders of those above you. Take this into serious consideration before you enlist to receive the government benefits and social prestige of military service in a post-9/11 America.
Hey thanks for your input.

I mention budget cuts and wars winding down because of the effect that might have on how many recruits they can take in and how fast they can get them to boot camp. I am not expecting to enlist and never be deployed or enlist and never be in harms way. Just wondering what the current wait time for boot is, given the current .gov circumstances. My criminal and driving record is clean as a whistle and I don't think I'd need any health waivers.

Last edited by Colt-45; 12-30-2013 at 1:02 AM..
Old 12-30-2013, 1:00 AM

More than likely you'd be far more likely to have a longer DEP time before you shipped out, far more likely in the Air Force or Marine Corps.

I've heard of year and a half wait times in the USAF. A guy I knew in Basic, a Battle Buddy, was in the DEPS for 9 months with the Marine Corps, felt his recruiter was bad and was upset at lack of communication, so promptly went to the Green side of the DOD (the Army) and shipped to Fort Leonard Wood instead.
Gay marriage, guns, a bureaucratic community college system, mandatory 10 day waiting periods, beautifully-ethinically-diverse-and-often-stuck-up-spoiled hot girls, marijuana licenses, San Francisco & Los Angeles, legislation for paparazzi, rioting in celebration (when the Lakers win), rioting for injustice (Rodney King), Celebrities Rights Laws, and non-stop beautiful weather; what not to like about our glorious People's Republic?
Old 12-30-2013, 1:14 AM
Calguns Addict

How long ago did this happen to your buddy?
Old 12-30-2013, 1:17 AM

I swore in at L.A. MEPS (Military Entrance and Procession Station) Dec. 27th, 2012. It's a date I plan to celebrate a bit on for the rest of my life.

Shipped out to Basic, February 24th. Short time due to me being National Guard
Old 12-30-2013, 6:49 AM

Expect 3-4 months generally. Stuff always comes up...

Don't lie. It will bite you in the *** later...ESP when and IF you retire. When applying for benefits, they'll deny you based on your lies and then proceed to prosecute you for a few things. I've seen it happen.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 AM

You shouldn't lie if it's stuff that can be easily found out.

Such as you have a criminal record, you have horrible asthma that's going to flare up when you run a mile, you have a steel plate in your foot.

But if it's things they can't find out then you should lie, a lot of people lie to get into military and right now they can be very picky on who they let in.

DEP time depends entirely on job, service, and where you are in the country. I had a 10 hour notice before I shipped for bootcamp, he literally called me and was like hey you're going tonight get ready. I know guys who have walked in and shipped 3 weeks later, I also know people who sat around for 10 months. If you just want to get to go and job isn't a big deal you can literally ask what job will ship me the fastest or if you have a good asvab that qualifies you for a lot when someone drops out of dep your recruiter can give you his spot and viola now you're shipping.
Old 01-02-2014, 4:51 PM

I came off recruiting in 2010. Jobs can dictate timeframe sometimes. For the Corps you should expect a 4-6 month minimum wait time. If you just want to go and are willing to go open contract which I do not recomend they can probably find you a spot. Also if you are a HS grad already they are going to use to to fill a spot that they can't fill with a HS senior. FMAM February March April May, are the hardest months to meet shipping usually so this time of year is good for shipping but not as good for job options. New jobs release in Oct based on fiscal years. Some of the real high desirable jobs will be gone but most of the good tech jobs will still have openings now. If you have any other questions shoot me a pm as I don't check this forum very often.
Old 01-02-2014, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sarge View Post
I came off recruiting in 2010. Jobs can dictate timeframe sometimes. For the Corps you should expect a 4-6 month minimum wait time. If you just want to go and are willing to go open contract which I do not recomend they can probably find you a spot. Also if you are a HS grad already they are going to use to to fill a spot that they can't fill with a HS senior. FMAM February March April May, are the hardest months to meet shipping usually so this time of year is good for shipping but not as good for job options. New jobs release in Oct based on fiscal years. Some of the real high desirable jobs will be gone but most of the good tech jobs will still have openings now. If you have any other questions shoot me a pm as I don't check this forum very often.
LOL, I went open contract (27-years ago) and it worked out great for me. I loved the infantry I wouldn't trade my experience and the lifelong bonds that I have made for anything in the world.
Old 01-02-2014, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Currently in usmc dep and is about 4-6 month wait. Why not just go and speak to a recruiter now?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the input guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalXJ View Post
Currently in usmc dep and is about 4-6 month wait. Why not just go and speak to a recruiter now?
I will speak to a recruiter once schools starts back up. The recruiters office is 45 mins from where I live.
Old 01-04-2014, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

I will speak to a recruiter once schools starts back up. The recruiters office is 45 mins from where I live.
Call them. My recruiter came over to my house.
Old 01-05-2014, 6:29 PM

Yep recruiter will come to you. He has a government car and gas card for that very reason!
Old 01-05-2014, 6:42 PM

Don't do it! Stay on school!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-06-2014, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickns View Post
I swore in at L.A. MEPS (Military Entrance and Procession Station) Dec. 27th, 2012. It's a date I plan to celebrate a bit on for the rest of my life.

Shipped out to Basic, February 24th. Short time due to me being National Guard
Hahhahah
Old 01-08-2014, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
Hahhahah
Very hilarious.