Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-14-2013, 5:28 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Yeah, that sightmark Ultra looked and felt NICE. Well, Actually I was like, OH WOW, YOU ARE SO NOT AN EOTECH but still feel so good hugging that top rail of the blue plastic arf that Turner's has in the store... Oh I am gonna put you on my Christmas list... (Not you Ladyrr, the Sightmark Ultra)
If you would like I can put you on my list but I just assumed that nobody would want to be stuffed down my chimney and put under a sap dripper for 6 or so hours listening to the termites in the hardwood floor...

I forgot about it doing infrared too for the nightvision. That was another cool thing. So then I can put it on in conjunction with my goggles when I am hunting rats at night in the backyard with the M-rod... Will make for some killer shots and you-tube videos. All of that for UNDER $100 on sale or so.

Last edited by stilly; 11-14-2013 at 5:30 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Get a std. M4 AR simple, reliable, light wt.accurate any of the name brands are fine. You should be able to get one for about $700.00
Old 12-09-2013, 1:53 PM

I'm not sure what you mean about a 'modern rifle' but if you aren't stuck on the "black gun" look, you might consider a Ruger Ranch Rifle. They go for under $1k. Mini 14 shoots .223, semi automatic, relatively short, and you can have nice wood and stainless steel, or you can get one that is a "takedown", comes in two pieces for easy transport. http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14...le/models.html

Ruger also makes a 'tactical rifle in .223 http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14...le/models.html

And Ruger also makes a Mini 30, which is 7.62 http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html

The mini's have a relatively short barrel, easy to shoulder, but not so good for 1000 yards, but who wants to walk all the way out there to change a target?
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 12-09-2013, 5:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
The mini's have a relatively short barrel, easy to shoulder, but not so good for 1000 yards, but who wants to walk all the way out there to change a target?
I think you meant 100 yards...
Old 12-09-2013, 8:48 PM

[QUOTE=BonnieB;12947021]I'm not sure what you mean about a 'modern rifle' but if you aren't stuck on the "black gun" look, you might consider a Ruger Ranch Rifle.

+1 on the Mini. I have a 25 year old Mini Stainless Steel that has never missed a beat. When my daughter won a bet with me on her SAT score I had to buy her a gun and she chose a new stainless Mini 14 over the AR. She is deadly with it out to 400 yds from a bench with iron sights or double tap 4 different targets at 100 yds. It's as rugged as an AK and the new ones are very accurate. The gun is extremely simple, reliable, light, and the stainless is almost maintenance free. I would highly recommend shooting one before you make a decision. People that have shot mine always end up wanting one. Most fun and reliable gun I own. In 25 years I've never had a jam that was not caused by a bad after market magazine. The new one my daughter has had a half dozen fail to ejects during the initial break in period, but has run flawlessly since. It can look like a traditional Ranch Rifle or you can customize it to make it as black rifle as you want. You can even put a folding stock on it to make it 26" to fit in a back pack. You can get rails and hang as many contraptions on it as you want or you can keep it simple and light, less than 7 lbs unloaded.

Last edited by wxl; 12-10-2013 at 1:56 PM..
Old 12-10-2013, 5:19 AM
Banned

While there is nothing wrong with a Mini 14 for casual use, the current price is over that of entry level AR15's. The aftermarket good stuff is becoming more available lately but nowhere near the amount of trick stuff for an AR15. Mini 14 trigger jobs are gun smithed, not drop in externally adjustable, like the AR. Mini's only run 100% with factory mags. You still need good glass at the end of the day. Shot for shot, an AR15 will stay tighter, even though the newest Mini is better than the pencil barrels of the first gen. There is a reason why no one runs Mini 14s in 3 gun competitions where a typical 400 yard shot will be on LaRue target, 11" wide by 23" high.

However a Mini 14 can be made to run well by these guys

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

Last edited by HighLander51; 12-10-2013 at 5:30 AM..
Old 12-13-2013, 9:18 AM

Nothing wrong with a mini but, AR parts are every where . Learn about rifle shooting & maint. At the same time.
Old 12-13-2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Girl in CA View Post
I don't have a rifle. That said, I want one. But I don't want Dad's hunting rifles, or his shot guns or anything bolt-action - I want a modern rifle, which leads me to the AR 15. Trouble is, I am floundering trying to ascertain what I need, what brand, gas vs piston, etc. I want to target shoot, and I want it for defense in case of foreign invaders and all that good stuff.

I know at least one lady on here recently got one, and I need advice. Or at least something to start from. Help me, Girls!
Same here, although the only thing I want when my dad dies is his old *** shot guns. Mostly for nostalgia I guess.

If you seen my thread than you know I went with the S&W M&P.

I went to Turners and was sold, 1200.00 later. A buddy is picking up the same rifle tonite from Turners

Good luck and cant wait to see what you end up with.

Windy
Old 12-15-2013, 1:16 AM

Ok let me update you on the sightmark....

Day after thanksgiving I took nephews 6 plus their dads to the local range. Somehow with their rapid firing of the ar they destroyed my sightmark. I do not know exactly what they did. I had 2 adults set up at the range and had 2 kids per adult. I taught safety to the dads, and had one dad on the ar and one on the 9mm pistol. All of the kids has a blast, and I played safety monitor on both lanes, then took the 45 into lane 3 with the older boys and we shot the 1911.

I had my first 3 gun match that coming Sunday. Went home cleaned my rifle and pistols. Went to the match and the sightmark was loose. I tightened the mount and the top was still loose. I ended up having to shoot my match with iron sights and removed the sightmark from the rifle.

Needless today, I read the warranty and I am SOL.

My recommendation is a Burris, or primary arms for weekend shooters. For my comp rifle I now have a leupold and the sight mark will go on the rifle when I am taking new shooters to the range. I still puts a red dot on paper but not reliable enough for competition.
Old 12-15-2013, 9:23 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxl View Post
It can look like a traditional Ranch Rifle or you can customize it to make it as black rifle as you want. You can even put a folding stock on it to make it 26" to fit in a back pack. You can get rails and hang as many contraptions on it as you want or you can keep it simple and light, less than 7 lbs unloaded.
You can, but remember that if you add 'features' like a folding stock or pistol grip, you will need to add a magazine locking device ('bullet button' or equivalent) first, and thereafter may use only 10-round (or less) magazines.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-15-2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
You can, but remember that if you add 'features' like a folding stock or pistol grip, you will need to add a magazine locking device ('bullet button' or equivalent) first, and thereafter may use only 10-round (or less) magazines.
You are correct, except OP moved from Ca to Nevada, free at last. Personally I think a featureless Mini 14 with pre ban mags is the only semi I would have in Ca, but in other states you have many more options.

Last edited by wxl; 12-15-2013 at 1:19 PM..
Old 12-15-2013, 4:57 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxl View Post
You are correct, except OP moved from Ca to Nevada, free at last. Personally I think a featureless Mini 14 with pre ban mags is the only semi I would have in Ca, but in other states you have many more options.
Yay!

I'll take good news where I can get it.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-15-2013, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Mini 14 shoots .223, semi automatic, relatively short, and you can have nice wood and stainless steel, or you can get one that is a "takedown", comes in two pieces for easy transport.
I think you are confusing the Ruger Mini-14 (.223 Rem) with the Ruger 10/22 Takedown (.22LR).
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 12-16-2013, 9:10 AM
Banned

Mini 14/30 are not take down guns. The Ruger 10/22 comes apart because the barrel is bolted to the receiver with a v block.

Mini 14

AR15

Last edited by HighLander51; 12-18-2013 at 4:18 PM..
Old 01-01-2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:

This made me almost drop my coffee hehe.
Old 01-03-2014, 8:45 AM

Ok read this whole post and though I agree with a lot of these opinion's it seems there's a lot of ar snob replies ... sure u can go as deep as you want into the ar underworld but at the end of the day s&w has a great rep . lifetime warranty, easy to get parts for , and when u pull the trigger it goes boom ..every time mind u.. spend your money as u see fit. my m&p sport was $650 out the door. with my commie state bullet button and its evil features. with the iron sights and my wobbly arms was able to shoot within 4 inches of bullseye at a 100yds. with my big 5 $100 barska scope sitin at a bench ,1 to 1.5 inch groups. I've taken down to pigs and a deer. so over all I got a great rifle .. just my 2 cents...
Old 01-03-2014, 9:29 AM
Banned

In my 3 gun competition experience running AR15's, you get what you pay for. I have seen plenty of $100 scopes quit in the middle of a stage, and factory AR triggers are just horrible compared to after market triggers. Now that doesn't mean a $650 AR won't run, but it would run alot better with an aftermarket trigger, a good scope and a free float hand guard.
Old 01-03-2014, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Girl in CA View Post
I don't have a rifle. That said, I want one. But I don't want Dad's hunting rifles, or his shot guns or anything bolt-action - I want a modern rifle, which leads me to the AR 15. Trouble is, I am floundering trying to ascertain what I need, what brand, gas vs piston, etc. I want to target shoot, and I want it for defense in case of foreign invaders and all that good stuff.

I know at least one lady on here recently got one, and I need advice. Or at least something to start from. Help me, Girls!
You don't need to waste you $$$ on a gas piston . Buy a Bravo company, or a Colt or a Daniel defense. They are the highest quality ARs on the market using the proper metals and building and testing procedures. There is a difference, they are quite the value for the $$$ considering their quality. Buy one of these brands and sleep well at night.
Old 01-04-2014, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
In my 3 gun competition experience running AR15's, you get what you pay for. I have seen plenty of $100 scopes quit in the middle of a stage, and factory AR triggers are just horrible compared to after market triggers. Now that doesn't mean a $650 AR won't run, but it would run alot better with an aftermarket trigger, a good scope and a free float hand guard.
agreed . apples and oranges op is not a running at three gun. and if ya just want ta shoot.. m&p outa the box is a very nice rifle for a very small price ..no brainer..