Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 AM

You might consider the Insteon Thermostat from Smarthome.com. Works well, it can be used with other home automation, and can be controlled from your cell phone. There are lots of accessories and bits that you can use with it, controllers, etc.

This does require require 24vdc at the controller so older, lower voltage and 3 wire systems require some adaptation to install.

I was able to install this on a two-wire millivolt system to control a gas fire place that was the sole source of heat at our cabin in the mountains. I could fire the heater up hours before we arrived and warm the place up.

Old 12-20-2013, 4:51 AM

I have a home automation system centered around my Honeywell Tuxedo touch. Im looking to add another tuxedo touch upstairs (going to add a WIFI) and then two smart t-stats. Really like the Nest but want something that will work with my tux touch. Any solid recommendations? BTW, house is brand new, built this year.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 4:57 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8toytruck View Post
Have the Wifi enabled $100 Honeywell from Costco.

The app is very straightforward and the interface is simple. Very quick to respond to overrides or temp adjustments. It doesn't learn anything but doesn't have to in my house. Set my weekday and weekend preferred temps and its been solid.

No more gf kicking me out of bed to adjust temp at 2am = priceless.

Worth the price I paid, can't justify a Nest.
I ordered the Honewell RET97E5D from Amazon for $100 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Just finished installing it and setting up the Wi-Fi app. Works great! I did not have the C wire but was able to use the G wire to supply power.