Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-07-2013, 8:53 PM

Default I will be issued M9, but maybe not a holster (need recommendations)

Iím going to be issued an M9 (down range), and am being told thereís a chance I may not be issued a holster with it. Iím not quite finding an ideal solution in one holster. Iíd like something that can be mounted on the front of the armor, but can also be used behind the wire without the armor.

This will be coming out of my clothing allowance.

Any thoughts? The Serpa Combo Kit says it is NOT for the M91A

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ser...it,84,1416.htm

Thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 9:01 PM

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/prod...T/XST-RTI.html

Skip the serpa G code with the rti wheel should do the trick.
Old 11-07-2013, 9:03 PM

Get a Gcode holster with a rei wheel and you can transfer it from your plate carrier to hip or thigh holster within seconds as far as the serpa goes I try and stay away from it never happened to me but I've heard of rocks getting inbetween the button and holster itself and prevents you from drawing your pistol last thing you need if you have to draw it especially with that afghani sand give them hell and stay safe brother!
Old 11-07-2013, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Two good suggestions. However im sure the serpa will fit because unless you for some reason acquired a railed m9 yours should be the non railed old as dirt version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscooler View Post
I have Paramilitary training
Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 PM

The guys above nailed it.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 PM

Do they make any that will accommodate a flashlight mounted to the M( if its railed?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 PM

Are you typically issued an M9 or is this something that is happening just for this deployment? I am asking because I have carried an M9 for 14 years and on several deployments and never needed more than just a basic snap holster on a drop down rig. Once you start adding it onto the front of your body armor it impedes your ability to move around inside of vehicles and quickly egress if you need to. That's just my personal experience though.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg0777 View Post
Are you typically issued an M9 or is this something that is happening just for this deployment? I am asking because I have carried an M9 for 14 years and on several deployments and never needed more than just a basic snap holster on a drop down rig. Once you start adding it onto the front of your body armor it impedes your ability to move around inside of vehicles and quickly egress if you need to. That's just my personal experience though.
The arguement was always the reverse of your experiance as to why chest carry became a standard, except for those in the fob and cop. If i recall the op is a new sham shield possible promotable e5 in a non combat arms mos. So my guess would be this deployment and not typical. I could be mistaken on authors though.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Yes, this is for Deployment.

I'm going to be in WAY over my head. I wouldn't have got this deployment if I wasn't E5.

So I understand, it hinges on if I get one with a rail or not.

Thanks for the additional solutions. I plan to hold this purchase off as long as I can.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

If you really want the Serpa call Blackhawk customer service and check with them. I can't see why they don't have a holster that will fit the M91A.

I've called and emailed Blackhawk several times and they have always been quick and very curtious to me.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 11-08-2013, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

M9A1. You could always get a leathermaker to make a holster for you that has the molle attachment adapter built into it.

Kydex is also cheap enough to make your own.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2013, 3:02 PM

I would go to pendleton yardsale and just shop around.

Personally I think drop leg holsters are retarded because you are just coving up a cargo pocket and anyone who has patrolled knows the vaule of cargo pockets. Rarely do you see people who actually use their guns run drop leg. The serpa is nice because you can easily unclip it and go from belt to flak when you get in a vic or have to sit for long periods of time.
Old 11-08-2013, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

Even in garrison cargo pockets are awesome but yeah. Cargos are usually bloated pack full of stuff down range lol.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2013, 4:00 PM

I would recommend getting something that can be easily removed put on your flak or belt as someone above mentioned. I personally use the safariland mounting systems with their holsters and I've used the Blackhawk version while I was active as well. Both work really well. Definitely get a holster with retention since it won't be your primary weapon system.
Old 11-08-2013, 7:00 PM

The mission will be the primary driver of what and how you should carry. What will you be doing? Keep in mind the guy you will be replacing just got done doing your job and will most likely have some good advice and maybe the gear he could sell you before he heads home if it is not something he has to turn in. That being said worst comes to worst the PX at your mob site and probably the last stop before you actually head to your final AO should have something that will at least hold a weapon someplace on your body till you can place an order for what you end up really needing. Then the CSM will see it and ban you from using it!
Old 11-08-2013, 7:14 PM

While on patrol I always carried my M9 in a Safariland drop attached to my belt (gun belt with M9, 2 xtra mags, drop bag). Yes, sometimes the xtra mags were covered by the vest but that is why I had 3 on my vest. This way even if for some stupid reason I lost my flak I was always armed. Personally I did not like loading all the crap up on my vest. Got to thick and made it difficult to go through small areas (vest, mags, radios, frags, camel back, IFAC... the list is endless).

Its personal preference. If you can try some rigs out before you buy it may save you some money.

And before you ask, in garrison it was in a Fobus under my blouse.

Semper Fi,
Michael

01 FFL, Chula Vista, CA
www.westcoastsurvivalarms.com
info@westcoastsurvivalarms.com

Last edited by mcisniper; 11-08-2013 at 7:19 PM..
Old 11-08-2013, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcisniper View Post
And before you ask, in garrison it was in a Fobus under my blouse.

Semper Fi,
Michael
We call that the ft hood carry. Some soldiers do not and will not become another target while on post....

Quote:
Old 11-08-2013, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
We call that the ft hood carry. Some soldiers do not and will not become another target while on post....
AWESOME in a f-ed up sort of way.

01 FFL, Chula Vista, CA
www.westcoastsurvivalarms.com
info@westcoastsurvivalarms.com
Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have the same XD serpa holster. Love it.

ALL ITEMS FOR SALE ARE FROM NORTH SD COUNTY AND WILL SHIP (EXCEPT AMMO CANS)

$30 - M16 PREBAN Magazines - ***30+ AVAILABLE***
$7 - .30 CAL AMMO CANS

Old 11-09-2013, 11:30 AM

I'll throw in another vote for the Black Hawk SERPA holster. Mine worked great then and continues to work great now. There's plenty of different mounting option, including that quick detach disk that will let you swap from vest to belt if that's what you want.

Although, to be honest, I bought a Miami vice shoulder holster for my walk to the ****ters. Easier than trying to latch onto my gym shorts.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.Ē

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 11-10-2013, 4:50 PM

I don't like the SERPA holsters. It lines your finger up with the trigger when you draw it. I have heard more than one story of dudes shooting themselves in the leg or foot while drawing from one. And if you do a quick google search there are plenty of articles on it.

I like to use the Safariland holsters.

Similar to this on:

http://holsterfinder.safariland.com/.../Details/10157
Old 11-10-2013, 10:15 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebloodsonthewall View Post
I don't like the SERPA holsters. It lines your finger up with the trigger when you draw it. I have heard more than one story of dudes shooting themselves in the leg or foot while drawing from one. And if you do a quick google search there are plenty of articles on it.
I've been running SERPAs since they first came out. Never had an issue with my finger going into the trigger well when drawing or holstering it. Those that have had that happen and zapped themselves, have an undisciplined trigger finger.

- Alejandro Gillick
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 PM

If you are going to be issued an M9 it will be issued by the UIC you are deploying with, not when you arrive. CIF will issue you a holster, usually either a Safariland, London Bridge, or Blackhawk drop leg. Work with your readiness/supply NCO to get what you need if you are mobilizing as an individual augmentee.

I am currently using a blackhawk SERPA CQC with duty belt and quick disconnect adapters. The duty belt adapter is attached to my ALICE pistol belt and my 2nd quick disconnect is on the front of my IOTV. Get a level 3 holster unless you want to be cleaning Afghan dust out of the hammer and barrel locking lug areas every couple days and accidentally disengaging your safety.

You will be hating life if you don't bring your pistol belt. You will also get very tired of a drop-leg rig. Stick with a waist rig and just put it on your vest if you go outside the wire.

Or better yet, don't bring an M9 at all. Unless you are aviation, on regular foot partrols, a CSM, or a field grade officer you'll be better off with just an M4 (personal opinion, of course).

Last edited by MRX9989; 11-11-2013 at 12:37 AM..
Old 11-11-2013, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

my son got issued a holster and probably wont get an M9
I also have a reversible, or ambidextrous m9 holster if you dont find what you want
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 PM

If your around Oceanside I can probably get you one. Your M9 won't have a rail. That I can promise you. Go Blackhawks or Safariland. Each is preference based on what you like in the retention system. Personally I like the Safariland thumb release but being left handed I opt for the Blackhawks so I can mount it on my flack in a vehicle or on my leg while on foot.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Calguns Addict

use the Serpa with the quick disconnects so you have options , thats how most of my guys on the unit it did it. HOWEVER if you plan on interacting with locals I strongly advise against putting it on the front of your body armor , most combatives/hand to hand classes advise it gets placed on the side area

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)WW1/WW2 45ACP Ammo
3)WW1 or WW2 era US Army 1911
Pre 1924 preferred (Not Arsenal Refinished)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 PM

I own and have used both the safariland 6K series and BH SERPA and they both work(ed) fine. Not one issue ever.

The SERPA can have the Molle clip back that can be attached for chest or battle belt carry. Great if you have to ride around in a hummer or other vehicle. You can't really get to your secondary firearm on a thigh rig while in a vehicle...plus you have muzzle sweep...The main issue however...is that the door kinda gets in the way. lol

FYI
******I do not recommend a thigh rig for combat******the only reason for a thigh rig is to clear gear.

If you're dead set on using one, however...heed my advice. I prefer the safariland rig and always modify my rig by removing the higher strap and making the belt strap shorter. This way, the holster sits higher. A friend of mine has a video that outlines this mod. I put a youtube link here for you that has his video for sale. It allows for enough drop to be low but still effective (and not too low). Remember, just low enough to clear your gear.

Get your gear situated properly. I can't stress this enough. You do not want to find out in a firefight that your plate carrier is situated haphazard. It may cost you your life or the life of your teammate(s).

Here's the link to his vid:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hNSn19NnxLI

BTW, the SERPA does have a quick disconnect option too and is effective...but I find that it just sits too low.

Give one a whirl. You'll get into a groove and once you pick a system...practice, practice, practice!

Last edited by 18Dmedic; 11-11-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Old 11-12-2013, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

Safariland drop holster.
Old 11-12-2013, 5:14 PM
CGN Contributor

The guys all above nailed it. I used a Safariland SLS drop leg that I bought on my own dime first time around. Was issued a POS spectre universal that cost the same as a blackhawk, but the thumbstrap rivet broke and dropped my pistol. Second time, people were issued the Blackhawk Serpas and they worked fine. I had a buddy send me the offset jacket slop mounting platform for the Blackhawk. Make sure if you buy your own Serpas though, get the level 2 or something that covers the rear sights and safety/decocker. Too easy for that stuff to get tripped with the open top and then some overpaid safety nazi to come screaming down.

I wore the holster on a drop leg for the 1st deployment, second time I used the Blackhawk on the jacket slot offset platform. Figured I could learn something from cops, and the offset helped clear the vest. Also had a shoulder holster (uncle mikes) to use when out and about on the FOB. Some other friends of mine bought the uncle mikes pancakes and just wore it on their belts, but I preferred the shoulder holster in case you're going to the head or wearing something that didn't have belt loops.

I didn't see it mentioned above but check your unit's SOP on the subject of lanyards. My career was saved by buying a good braided lanyard (see above comments about universal nylon holsters). If you want something out of the way, get the retractable leash ones.
Support your resource! Become a Calguns Contributor!

Last edited by roll2li; 11-12-2013 at 5:23 PM..
Old 11-16-2013, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Why is your amory not issuing out holster as well? Pretty sure they issue out cleaning gear and slings with the TO weapon as rifles, so they also do that with pistols,. What unit are you with? Might want to talk to the battalion gunner...
Old 11-16-2013, 4:31 PM

Some units don't have the cash to buy new stuff when it's lost or broken.
Old 11-16-2013, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Smoke View Post
Some units don't have the cash to buy new stuff when it's lost or broken.
This. Im sure you are well aware of strict budget cuts army wide. Lots of units dont even have the money for basic stuff that we usually get no issues.

Quote:
Old 11-16-2013, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewgun87 View Post
Why is your amory not issuing out holster as well? Pretty sure they issue out cleaning gear and slings with the TO weapon as rifles, so they also do that with pistols,. What unit are you with? Might want to talk to the battalion gunner...
I am augmenting another unit. So ďourĒ weapons are not going with us, and the receiving unit is issuing their weapons to us. Itís sounding like on my end itís going to be a crap shoot.
Old 12-08-2013, 9:39 PM

Apparently we are getting Glock 19ís so my holster choices have expanded dramatically.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow, lots of options with that, chest rig?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 12-09-2013, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Apparently we are getting Glock 19ís so my holster choices have expanded dramatically.
Hmmmmm, interesting.... Sounds like contractors are involved somewhere....

Just go for a shoulder holster with chest and belt adjustment.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Quote: