Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Default Airforce MPs

Hey guys,

So heres my story. Im 21 years old and graduating from college in the spring. My ultimate career goal is to become LE. But, with the economy in the dump, becoming LE (especially without a POST) is difficult. I was talking to a buddy of mine who also wants to become LE and brought up the idea of doing a stint in the military and becoming MP until things get better. Ive looked into the military before but at that time didnt work out. So can you guys give me a feeling of what its like? What you had to do etc?

Thanks

Snake Plissken:Got a Smoke?
Malloy:The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no guns, no alcohol, no women-unless your married-no foul language-no red meat!
Snake Plissken-(sarcastic)Land of the Free
Ironic how fiction slowly becomes reality, isnt it?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

What you do could vary from LE type work, guarding a concrete box all day every day, or light mechanized infantry type work. No way you will know until you get orders after training. Also the Airforce has "security forces" not MPs.

Anyway, you are better off putting yourself through an academy and getting a job at a smaller or rural dept, then doing a lateral transfer, at least from what I have heard.

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Calguns Addict

When it comes to being a civilian LEO, being an MP doesnt give you an advantage over say combat arms.

That being said, if you want to be taken seriously, avoid the Navy or Air Force.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater OPS View Post
What you do could vary from LE type work, guarding a concrete box all day every day, or light mechanized infantry type work. No way you will know until you get orders after training. Also the Airforce has "security forces" not MPs.

Anyway, you are better off putting yourself through an academy and getting a job at a smaller or rural dept, then doing a lateral transfer, at least from what I have heard.
That was a my bad, for some reason I put MP's when I knew better Im also looking at putting myself through also, but since ive always been interested in the military I figured id inquire about this. Thanks for your input.

Malloy:The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no guns, no alcohol, no women-unless your married-no foul language-no red meat!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Calguns Addict

If you want to be LE you want to look at infantry , they get picked over MPs. Thinking that MP will transition you into LE is a common mis conception.

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)Glock 17
3)80% arms router jig for AR15
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME
Old 01-20-2011, 1:00 AM

From what I've been hearing, it's essentially impossible to get hired as a new LEO in California right now. The few departments that are hiring are pulling from the pool of laid off officers. I have several friends who put themselves through POST and are unable to find work. You may want to look at starting in another state if you are set on this career.
Old 01-20-2011, 6:52 AM
In Memoriam

My girlfriend was Security Forces "Airforce MP" for several years. She served in Kuwait and basically spent her time as a fire team leader running LP's around the airfield. Got into some firefights etc...

Ironically the Airforce didn't help her become a cop, she was already a Sac County deputy before they deployed her. In fact the Airforce took away her ability to be a Deputy, because during a fire fight she fell down a flight of stairs and fractured her spine. She still served our country and is proud of it, but she will never be a cop, ever again.
Old 01-20-2011, 7:08 AM

It's what I first did in the Marines...we called it Barracks duty...pretty mutch was a guard at the gates and patrol....but I served in Panama and it got pretty hairy at times....not Iraq or afghanistan hairy, but we had a sqirmish or two.
Old 01-20-2011, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Vegas Metro is hiring right now.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Yes, nothing wrong with serving your country, but Solider415 said earlier.
If you want to stand out, you might want to join Army or Marine. At the same time, pick either infantry or highly skill jobs like military intel or linguist.
If not, since you are going to graduate soon, try out for officer instead of E-class.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcuits View Post
My girlfriend was Security Forces "Airforce MP" for several years. She served in Kuwait and basically spent her time as a fire team leader running LP's around the airfield. Got into some firefights etc...

Ironically the Airforce didn't help her become a cop, she was already a Sac County deputy before they deployed her. In fact the Airforce took away her ability to be a Deputy, because during a fire fight she fell down a flight of stairs and fractured her spine. She still served our country and is proud of it, but she will never be a cop, ever again.
Firefights in Kuwait?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM

'74-'78 USAF Security Police, now security forces--stay away, its not police work. Check out Metro Police--Las Vegas.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Well, we do not call them Military Police (MPs). We have two kinds. Security Police (SPs) and Security Forces (SF). Security Police is a tad more prestigious. They actually perform duties you would typically associate with police officers. They are the guys in the squad cars with radar guns enforcing the speed limits, responding to 911 calls, etc. Security Forces perform mostly asset protection. They are the guys patrolling the flight line and base perimeter for intruders. One is more cop and the other is more security guard.

Civilian police departments really do these guys a disservice when they try and transfer into civilian life. Even if you were an SP, and did the exact same things a patrol officer did and had even better than training that a patrol officer gets they do not give you the same credit for that experience or training as they would a lateral transfer from another department. It makes sense that would not value the experiences of an SF the same way the would a lateral transfer, but it does not make sense to do that to an SP. The duties are exactly the same. It may have something to do with most bases being inherently safer than say a ghetto, but it certainly is no safer than a middle class or affluent neighborhood.

So while you would get a great look at what being a police officer is all about, and get some great on the job training, those jobs will not help you make a lateral transition into civilian law enforcement. If there is something else you are interested in doing in the military, that you want to explore just in case law enforcement is not your only aspiration, do that instead. Later, if you do decide to get into law enforcement it will look just as good on your application as if you had been an SP or SF and you will have truly ruled it out as life long career. Many career fields would make you a better cop than your fellow officers because they would be a great complimentary skill set. For example, extensive medical training would come in very handy for a police officer. It could save your partner's life or even your own life someday.

If you decide to reenlist, if you were an SP or SF it probably would be a lot easier to transfer into the Office of Special Investigations, or OSI. These guys are basically the Air Force version of NCIS (which you have probably seen on TV). NCIS is glorified version of what the real guys do, but you get the idea. You will need to be an NCO (Sergeant) before you can join OSI. The time you spend as an OSI Agent will be recognized as law enforcement experience at a detective or special agent level by civilian law enforcement agencies. However, it is definitely not easy to become an OSI agent. You will need to have a spotless record, and be an elite Airman during your first enlistment period.

As for people not taking the Air Force or Navy seriously, that is just moronic. As a Navy Seal or Army Delta Operator who served in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan how he feels about Air Force Combat Controllers or Air Force Pararescue. He will give a glowing testimonial about how they are some of the best trained, most dedicated, crazy brave operators he has ever had the pleasure of serving with. Any one who thinks the Air Force just sits behind a desk and fly the planes just doesn't know how things really work on today's battlefield. More often than not, it is a motor pool guy or clerk who bashes the other services and actually means it. It is more about his own ego and feelings of inadequacy than anything else. Guys who have had to put their lives in the hands of people from other services have nothing but respect for them. They'll tell a joke or two...but when it comes right down to it they respect the hell out of them.

Something you should seriously consider...

These days the National Guard and the Reserves looks just as good on your resume as active duty but allow you the ability to fast track your civilian career and education. As soon as you complete basic and your technical school training you would be able to use the money you earned to pay for and attend POST on your own dime. Then you can get hired on with a law enforcement agency while you are still serving out your enlistment. You won't have to wait four years to become a cop. It is also a lot easier to go to school full time to earn your degree in Criminal Justice and serve in the military part time that it is the other way around. Last time I checked the National Guard and the Reserves both had tuition programs that made going to school dirt cheap and drastically out shined the standard GI BILL.

This is the smart career minded way to do it. You won't have as many options on what career field you get. You might have to settle for something other than police or security, however you will definitely be able to find something that compliments a law enforcement career. As far as civilian law enforcement is concerned all military service is the same (unless you are OSI, NCIS, CID, etc. which is not available on your first enlistment term). However during your final interview the Chief will probably look very highly on someone with advanced medical training or something that strongly complimented a law enforcement career. Mean while you are free to get your POST and your degree and continue applying to Law Enforcement Agencies, all the while getting a leg up above those without military service despite not having finished your first enlistment obligation yet.

If your end game and life's dream was to be in the military I would recommend active duty service. But it is not. So the above is the smartest, fastest way to achieve your goals while also serving your country with honor.

I did things the hard way, went active duty and then went to school. The Guard and Reserves did not have the benefits packages they do now when I was your age. I sure wish they did.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 01-20-2011 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

If OP joins Navy and becomes Navy SEALs, he will have my most and highest respect from me ever. I have worked twice with SEALs before in Iraq and they are very professional and good at what they do. I know how difficult is to become a special force, I barely passed my Scott & Sniper indoc.
However, if OP joins navy and gets MOS like cook or cleaning and repairing ships. I do not think those MOS will help him standout, but he will still get the additional points for being military service. In addition, he will have my thanks for serving our country. I have a friend who was in Navy and all he did was load ammo and missiles to the fighter jet and cut potatoes during his rotation time in kitchen duty.
If I were to go back to military right now, I will go as an Officer and I would try to get into military intel division instead of going back to infantry division or fleet.

Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 01-20-2011 at 11:15 AM..
Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Check out WGU get your BS...then go to OCS...civil servant jobs are real shaky right now.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Check out WGU get your BS...then go to OCS...civil servant jobs are real shaky right now.
The part I missed above is that he is graduating from college soon. Once he does I think he will be eligable for OSI, CID, NCIS, etc. if he goes to OCS and becomes and officer. I think only enlisted are prevented from doing so on their first enlistment. I think the only requirment is that you be an NCO or higher.

Talk to your recruiter about that. If it is not an option, you are better off enlisting in the guard and continuing your education and/or attending POST on your own dime and trying to get hired on by a civilian agency. If you discover you enjoy the military while serving in the guard, you will have an opportunity to apply for OCS after your first enlistment period is completed. The Guard recuruits officers from within (unless you were an officer on active duty prior to joining) and does not allow for you to go from college to becoming an officer, but the Reserves does I think.

I would not spend 4 years on active duty in a field that is not considered the same as a lateral transfer if your end game is to become an LEO. But I would definately do the Reserves or Guard.

Again, if your end game was a career in the military I would recommend active duty. But you have other career aspirations in mind. So I am just trying to think of the best way to achieve your goal.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 01-20-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Firefights in Kuwait?
2001-2002, I thought the same thing, but I don't question the wall of commendations, pictures and her lack of willingness to talk about it.
Old 01-20-2011, 5:00 PM

Quote:
2001-2002, I thought the same thing, but I don't question the wall of commendations, pictures and her lack of willingness to talk about it.
LoL fergie I dunno about firefights in kuwait brodo.
Old 01-20-2011, 5:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I have done two deployments to Iraq and all I remember in Kuwait was playing volleyball with air force and army girls until we were ready to fly back home. Of course, we took advantage of McDonald and Pizza Hut at Kuwait.
Old 01-20-2011, 6:07 PM

I would say if you have any interest in ANYTHING else try it in the military. Before I joined the Army I was a cadet and thought after the military stint I was gonna be a cop. After getting in the Army as a medic I realized I liked medicine more. I say get a skill you can fall back on in the military and then try to be a police officer when you get out. That way if there is still a hiring freeze or you don't like being a cop you have an exit strategy.

I would say try medicine (I am biased), intel, or some kind of work that gives you an actual skill. OR go balls to the wall do 3 years as an infantryman living a life of excitement. Ohh by the way when I worked at the police department a few guys actually talked about how they regretted not doing the military thing. Then there were a few cops who surprised me and were still Special forces, 1 was an airforce flight medic, a few were infantry. Good luck with what you decide!
Old 01-20-2011, 6:58 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Besides finishing up school im using this semester to explore options in both LE and other. Military is apart of that. The reserves might end being more up my alley if I get serious about it.

Old 01-20-2011, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Been said a couple times already but stay away from MP's , Security Forces , Special Police.

These MOS's will not get you preference in the law enforcement field.

Focus on MOS that come with high security clearance and allow you to finish your schooling. The combination of these two will set you up for State and Federal LEA.

Think about what will make you competitive in the job market after you get out.

Look into infantry, recon,rangers,snipers,intel,data. These jobs will bump you ahead of a lot of people when looking for a job. The combat related MOS are geared more towards LE the intel & data jobs will put you in the FBI/CIA bracket.
Old 01-21-2011, 2:21 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standish View Post
LoL fergie I dunno about firefights in kuwait brodo.
Thanks Dave, I love you buddy, but I'll take the word of a girlfriend who was there 10 years ago, a month after 9-11, over someone who was still in high school at the time.
Old 01-21-2011, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dave, I love you buddy, but I'll take the word of a girlfriend who was there 10 years ago, a month after 9-11, over someone who was still in high school at the time.

ferg man im not trying to argue here but we didnt go into iraq until march 2003...... so kuwait firefights in 2001??

Last edited by Standish; 01-21-2011 at 2:48 PM..
Old 01-21-2011, 2:36 PM

Oh and I was actually in JUNIOR high when 9-11 happened. Didn't stop me from getting my *** over to them there mountain men and shooting me there that gal darn M14
Old 01-21-2011, 3:02 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standish View Post
ferg man im not trying to argue here but we didnt go into iraq until march 2003...... so kuwait firefights in 2001??
I'm not trying to argue either dude... There's no reason for my girlfriend to lie about her experiences to impress her Basic Training drop out, boyfriend... I wasn't there, you weren't there and all I know is that there is a wall of commendations and pictures from her service... She won't talk about a damn thing unless she is drunk, even then its very little.. For some reason when I play medal of honor or call of duty she leaves the room, despite the fact she plays every other damn video game I own.

She's said before, they weren't in knock down drag out street to street fighting, but they fired their weapons and exchanged fire on a regular basis with some of the locals around the airbase... I do not really care enough to bring the topic up with her, when she clearly hates talking about it.

My original point though was that she never needed the airforce to become a cop. She did it on her own and in fact lost the ability to be a cop, because of injuries sustained while in service in the Airforce.

Take it, for what it's worth.
Old 01-21-2011, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Not to be a dick here, but my shenanigans nerve is twitching.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 01-21-2011, 4:49 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
You should get that checked out then...
Old 01-21-2011, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Im with ya.

Maybe she was in the same unit as procoho?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That being said, if you want to be taken seriously, avoid the Navy or Air Force.
That's funny because the Marines handle most of the security and LE duties for the Navy. As well, the Air Force Security Forces are probably some of the best trained and most professional LE folks in all the branches of the military.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Well, we do not call them Military Police (MPs). We have two kinds. Security Police (SPs) and Security Forces (SF).
LE and Security in the Air Force combined AFSC's like 10 or 12 years ago. They have been "Security Forces" ever since. There is only one career field now, and whether you work patrol, guard an asset, work in investigations, K-9, physical security, etc., all depends on your rank, experience, and time on station.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Fobbit story for sure...

The only action folks in Kuwait got since 1992ish was scuds...

2001 the bases were logistic bases that were send aircraft down range to Afghanistan... But what do i know... I was in Afghanistan Dec '01... As others mentioned Iraq war didnt start off until 2003... GF is telling you tales... Believe it or not, doesnt make it more real.

As for becoming LEO i don't think any branch or job really will help you land the job more than another. The military history will give points over those who didnt serve... Short of comradity with your peers, thats all you will get from being Army / Marine or MP for that matter.
Old 01-22-2011, 5:41 PM

The 5 points are pretty sweet. And to think all you have to do is get shot at in a terrible country for a year....a couple times. If you want to do LE I would look at the border patrol. They like hiring ex 11B's. At least that is what they told me. Also it is a federal job and they are supposed to try and hire vets. I will let you know if this is true if i get a job.
Old 12-07-2013, 9:22 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Go SF in the Air Force and try to become CATM. Lot of cool weapon schools and training you do plus you still have law enforcement training.