Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-17-2013, 8:54 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default What am I missing? Various wireless routers only allow ONE device...

I find it hard to believe that wireless routers like the USR 8054 that does wireless in 802.11G/B will only allow a single cell phone to connect to it.

Is there something I am missing here? I have had this issue with several devices in the past, at different times, even mine at home does it sometimes it seems, I dunno about now though.

Is there a switch/setting that I gotta change to allow more than one because I thought be default they were supposed to be OPEN and unsecure...

See? It is these stupid little things that get me. Today I found that I do not know what the **** a pivot thingy is in excel...
Old 07-18-2013, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Are you trying to connect 802.11B (WEP, but no WPA/WPA2) devices to a WPA/WPA2 encrypted network?

What is the scope of DHCP? If you got it used and it is set to say 192.168.1.254-192.168.1.254 address that MIGHT be a problem.

I know on some of the old Actiontecs, if you entered the wrong WEP, WPA, or WPA2 code, Windows device would show them as connected, but couldn't pull DHCP, as they never authenticated, but thought they were.

WPA/WPA2 is case sensitive, could that be the problem (some 3rd part cheap routers might have an issue with WEP codes that have case issues)?

Have you tried to factory it, and start from scratch?

Last edited by the86d; 07-18-2013 at 9:37 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 9:52 AM

Is that router broadcasting b and g ? iPhone 4 is only b and the 5/iPads can connect to b and g IIRC
Old 07-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Is that router broadcasting b and g ? iPhone 4 is only b and the 5/iPads can connect to b and g IIRC
iPhone 4's and 5's don't do 802.11N?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
iPhone 4's and 5's don't do 802.11N?
4s does N.
5 adds 5ghz
Old 07-18-2013, 2:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Are you trying to connect 802.11B (WEP, but no WPA/WPA2) devices to a WPA/WPA2 encrypted network?

What is the scope of DHCP? If you got it used and it is set to say 192.168.1.254-192.168.1.254 address that MIGHT be a problem.

I know on some of the old Actiontecs, if you entered the wrong WEP, WPA, or WPA2 code, Windows device would show them as connected, but couldn't pull DHCP, as they never authenticated, but thought they were.

WPA/WPA2 is case sensitive, could that be the problem (some 3rd part cheap routers might have an issue with WEP codes that have case issues)?

Have you tried to factory it, and start from scratch?
802.11G to 802.11 mixed (B/G) Smart TV could not connect neither could a droid 4G phone with wifi, neither could my Nexus 7 wife tablet.
DHCP allows 99 connections.
It HANGS on connecting. ONE phone went right through and connected and works fine, everything after that gets stuck on connecting...
I had to reset it to remake the password. I had to reset it again to clear AP ONLY mode.
Old 07-18-2013, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

Have you tried updating the firmware on the router? Sounded like firmware bug to me.

Today's wireless routers/access points allow many devices to connect concurrently, some of them are even capable of handling both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency concurrently. We're talking about home routers and not the enterprise ones too.

If your firmware is up to date, I'm guess it must be defective.
Old 07-18-2013, 2:57 PM
Calguns Addict

How old is it?

Bad caps? I have seen an Actiontec with bad caps and it was a similar issue with being able to connect to randomly, intermittant issues. Also my old router had no leaking caps, but after pushing and pulling wireless for a bit it would make my lady's phone's wireless and another device's connection whack out like an iPhone that just had the rug pulled out from under it by a disassociate packet via a rooted Android. I swapped the router, and stopped having issues. (I actually thought a neighbor-kid was disassociating one of my wireless cameras, but the issue stopped with a new router.)

See if someone you know has a router in the garage/closet that you can borrow for testing.

If you switch routers, make sure to release DHCP from the WAN so you don't have to plug it back in and do it (or call the ISP and have them release the IP lease for your router's WAN MAC after), before plugging the new one in (most ISPs will have issues issuing people 2 IPs) and I usually unplug WAN connection IMMEDIATLY after DHCP release (mine auto-pulls DHCP again if I don't)...

(It's probably 254, if you are using subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, unless your only handing out 192.*.1-192.*.99 via DHCP scope. )

Last edited by the86d; 07-18-2013 at 3:07 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 3:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
Have you tried updating the firmware on the router? Sounded like firmware bug to me.

Today's wireless routers/access points allow many devices to connect concurrently, some of them are even capable of handling both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency concurrently. We're talking about home routers and not the enterprise ones too.

If your firmware is up to date, I'm guess it must be defective.
The LAST available firmware update is from 2005. There are no more updates.

I have started looking for a replacement, but how is it that they only designed the wireless portion to ONLY allow a single device to connect? It just makes no sense... Which is why I asked.

The dhcp is set to issue addresses from: 100-199 I have not bothered to modify it.

Last edited by stilly; 07-18-2013 at 3:31 PM..
Old 07-19-2013, 3:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
The LAST available firmware update is from 2005. There are no more updates.

I have started looking for a replacement, but how is it that they only designed the wireless portion to ONLY allow a single device to connect? It just makes no sense... Which is why I asked.

The dhcp is set to issue addresses from: 100-199 I have not bothered to modify it.
Hell, I have a 802.11G Netgear with the circular blinking lights just sitting around, and I am sure that you know someone with a similar issue... but:
$32-ish: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airlink101-A...-/170795319399

$80-$120: http://www.actiontec.com/prod_page.php

I am really impressed with the newer 802.11N Actiontec FiOS sent me, but there attention to detail on a consumer product is limited (I can't believe you can't sort DHCP by IP when looking at active leases, but M$'s DHCP on server products is limited in similar ways too). It may be Version's forced firmware, but having to delete a port FW, rather than modify it is something that wasn't though out either, and wasn't an issue on their older products. I am not currently using any MoCA through my router, but when I needed one when I had FiOS TV, it let me have Ethernet anywhere there was COAX piped in.
Old 07-19-2013, 4:23 PM
Banned

Yeah. I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wire...ireless+router

SOMETHING does not seem right, I mean come on now, 5100 reviews and it has a 4.3+ rating? There must be something we are not being told here...
I decided to stop banging my head against the wall with it and told him to get this other one.

I am still having a hard time accepting that anyone has bought 5100 of them on amazon... But DAMN...
Old 12-07-2013, 12:34 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Did you default it to factory? Something is wrong with the configuration. Never seen a wireless router that would only let you connect one device.