Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 11-26-2013, 6:43 PM

Default Which safe is most secure?

The safe I have now is a hand me down from a family member, although it works for the time being I'm looking to upgrade to something much harder to break into. I'm out of state all week for thanksgiving and the time away from home got me thinking. I'm not so worried about the fire ratings, I want something that would stand up to a few thugs trying to get what's inside. What safe or brand if safe makes the most secure safe?
Old 11-26-2013, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

If they want it and have time they are going to get it. I've seen pictures of safe's that were cut open with tools in the owners garage. Keeping that in mind most burglars are opportunists, and strike randomly, they want in and out as quickly as possible, with as much easily carried and easy to sell stuff as they can get.

I don't think any one brand of quality safe has any significant advantage over another. As long as it is a good quality safe with a good locking mechanism it should be good to go.
Old 11-26-2013, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjoe View Post
The safe I have now is a hand me down from a family member, although it works for the time being I'm looking to upgrade to something much harder to break into. I'm out of state all week for thanksgiving and the time away from home got me thinking. I'm not so worried about the fire ratings, I want something that would stand up to a few thugs trying to get what's inside. What safe or brand if safe makes the most secure safe?
The one that no one knows about.

The reality is that if they want it and they have time they will get it. The most important is to keep quiet about what you have. As far as save construction goes. Look for plate steel instead of sheet metal with locking lugs on all 4 sides of the door.
Old 11-26-2013, 7:25 PM

Look at the doors on summit safes. Solid 3/8 steel even on the bottom model.
Old 11-26-2013, 9:20 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

See the forum sticky 'beginner's guide'.

Short: TXTL60x6 is the highest UL rating - resistant to tools, torches, explosives all 6 sides for a minimum of 60 minutes on each side (including the door).

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-27-2013, 5:54 AM

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 11-27-2013, 6:13 AM

all good info i use to build safes as a part time job the most important thing is how you land it to the foundation. if your safe can be tipped over on its face it can be opened from the rear in less than 10 minutes be it a liberty,cannon ,or china safe. a bolted door is a must have ?
Old 11-27-2013, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Good gun safes start at about $1,400 and up.

Find a brand / model you like, Google it for reviews, etc...

I've had a Browning & a Cannon, good safes.

Now I own a Sturdy. Best $$$ I ever spent.

Good luck & do your homework.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Like everybody is saying do your homework buy something US built, continuously welded, w 4 way bolt work, and an all inclusive warranty; good starting point. Safes are deceptive, if you have questions please feel free to call.

Check out a Fort Knox M2 line we offer, 3/16" box, 3/8" plate door, US built Fort Knox quality.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=837879
If not we offer 8 lines of safes for all budgets http://www.WestCoastSafes.com
Best,
Brad
West Coast Safes, Inc.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM

Layers ! Get a decent safe as big as you can afford and bolt it down. Put it in a closet with a deadbolt and solid door. Get an alarm for the house then make sure it is hard to break in. maybe get a barking dog. Get motion detector lights in front. Even all this will slow only slow them down. You want robbers to think it is too much trouble to break in your house and pick another. lastly don't tell anyone about your stuff and safe. Nothing is 100% secure.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 AM

A good quality safe starts around $600-700 for a smaller safe (10 guns or so). I base that on AmSec's entry level TF-series.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Thanks brad, I live about 30 min north of you, I might have to come down and take a look!
Old 11-27-2013, 2:26 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Firemanjoe, please do. We have some black Friday specials going on, Liberty has some rebates going for a few days. Have a great Thanksgiving.
Brad
West Coast Safes, Inc.
Old 11-27-2013, 2:54 PM

Do the safe companies offer rebates or deals on a fairly regular basis? Because with Christmas, I might not be able to swing a big purchase like that until after the new year.
Old 11-27-2013, 5:45 PM
Banned

What you want is a 1/2 inch solid steel body with a 1" steel door and dual locks (electronic and dial). I priced them from 3-7k based on sizes and features.

You can have other features added to defeat cutters and stuff like that but it gets costly.

These guys will build a "jewellers safe" which is what you want.

http://www.westcoastsafes.com/graffu...nsfm7fp90ts336
Old 11-27-2013, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
What you want is a 1/2 inch solid steel body with a 1" steel door and dual locks (electronic and dial). I priced them from 3-7k based on sizes and features.

You can have other features added to defeat cutters and stuff like that but it gets costly.

These guys will build a "jewellers safe" which is what you want.

http://www.westcoastsafes.com/graffu...nsfm7fp90ts336
Yes !!! most "safes" are no more than heavy gun cabinets Browning or Cannon for example. They may be all you really need but there is lots of info on you tube about safes that are really safe if you want to spend the $$$.
Old 11-29-2013, 6:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Graffunder safes are very secure... if you can afford one. They're made to such high standards that you can barely fit a business card between the door and the frame.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/produ...es-weapon.html

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-29-2013, 6:56 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Graffunder safes are very secure... if you can afford one. They're made to such high standards that you can barely fit a business card between the door and the frame.
I've heard that.....

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 11-29-2013, 7:02 PM

American Security (Amsec) makes TL-30X6 safes, super secure and pretty fire resistant also. Not as nicely finished as a Graffunder, but less expensive for the same or better security. Look at the Amvault line. The Graffunder safes are really nice, with plate steel bodies. The composite safes are harder to break into than just plate steel though.

TL-30 means tool rated by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) to resist making an opening of 6 square inches for at least 30 minutes, with a wide variety of power tools. X6 means on all 6 faces of the box. The normal safes you see at the gun store, wally world, or any warehouse store, would last at most 3 minutes to the UL attack.
Old 11-30-2013, 2:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegiff View Post
The normal safes you see at the gun store, wally world, or any warehouse store, would last at most 3 minutes to the UL attack.
They're actually tested to survive a 5 minute attack. The higher quality RSC rated safe's will usually last longer. I'm talking 7 gauge walls and 1/4" or 3/8" plate steel doors.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-01-2013, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
They're actually tested to survive a 5 minute attack. The higher quality RSC rated safe's will usually last longer. I'm talking 7 gauge walls and 1/4" or 3/8" plate steel doors.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Not the same test between safes and RSC's.

RSC's test,from ar15.com discussion:
The tool list basically allows anything in your toolbox, with limits on the drill bit size to 1/4" diameter and sledge hammers no more than 3lbs, and prying devices no more than 18 inches long. The only power tool allowed is a hand-held drill.

UL Listed safes are tested with much larger power tools like abrasive saws, worm drive saws with carbide blades (zip right through a 7 gauge wall), sledge hammers and pry bars, power jackhammers, larger drills with any bit they see fit, and so on.
Old 12-01-2013, 8:06 AM
Veteran Member

It's all about "acceptable risk", really, as determined by you. Those who have said a determined thief will get in there are correct. The goal is to make it hard enough for the thief so that he/she will give up and go on to "easier pickin's". That generally means the smash-n-grab folks. For that purpose, a properly installed/bolted Costco-like safe, coupled with an alarm system (this could include a dog) that makes A LOT of noise (plus a link to the police dept. if not a dog), plus of course locking your doors and physical blocks on the windows, is likely sufficient for most people. If it weren't, we'd all be living in bank vaults anyway. Defense in depth, folks.

Also, don't advertise what you have. Seriously, don't. I'm speaking especially to those with all the NRA and other pro-2A stickers on their vehicles, signs on the house that say "This House Protected By Smith & Wesson", and the like. I know, Chuck Norris has "We Don't Dial 911" on his house. That's Chuck Norris, whose very name invoked anywhere on his property will kill a thief at 1,000 metres. The rest of us ain't Chuck Norris. Why proactively make yourself a target?
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

Last edited by Cowboy T; 12-01-2013 at 8:09 AM..
Old 12-01-2013, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

The "safest" safe is the one the government have at Forth Knox. And that's because they guard it with troops and tanks 24/7.
The safety of the rest of the safes is reverse proportional with the time the burglar has at its disposition to crack them.