Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 11-13-2013, 3:31 PM

Default Gun cleaning pads?

Ok, time to get a real pad instead of using cardboard or newspaper. I only have pistols so I don't need a long rifle pad but want something a little bigger so there is plenty of space. I researched a little and I think I've narrowed it down to the 16x20 Drymate pad but then read a bunch of bad reviews. I think material like a mousepad would be great to be honest, but maybe I am crazy.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 11-13-2013, 5:10 PM

I threw this in the cart when ordering some stuff from Cabelas.

I like it. I still lay down some blue shop paper towels or a grocery store flyer ad over it if its a messy job.

But on cleaner projects I like using it. Feels a little more professional then the typical paper towel or newspaper homeade mat.

Im sure there are cheaper ones, check Amazon maybe.

And a old mouse pad would work great.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...ts/1370826.uts

Please help support The Calguns Foundation by clicking this link before your next purchase

Old 11-13-2013, 8:06 PM

I use a planet eclipse mat that I use when I clean my paintball markers. It won't slide it's nicely padded, cleans easily and has ribbing and little areas where you can put parts in without worrying about em rolling around.
Old 11-14-2013, 9:15 AM

It looks to be in the same league as Tipton or Hoppes cleaning mat so go with the cheapest.
Old 11-14-2013, 9:23 AM

I've been using just old thick tshirts folded in half long ways. Absorbs everything and can just roll up when I'm done. I use white shirts so when it gets dirty enough I fold it the other way and have a fresh side to work on.
Old 11-14-2013, 9:25 AM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod4936.aspx

Expensive, but resistant to solvents - gives great traction and wipes up easily. Mine is stained from use, but the Glock mat and Cabelas mats I had eventually became too saturated with solvents and cleaners. I used several layers of blue shop towels on top of them too. The Ransom Mat has been the one that just held up.

My $.02

Edit: the little ridges at the top are awesome to keep parts from escaping. It's one of those things that I never realize I would use, but find myself using it almost every time I use it.

Last edited by Kodemonkey; 11-14-2013 at 9:27 AM..
Old 11-14-2013, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Check the HD or Lowes for cheap carpeting or rubber mat material...you can get it by the foot and dump it when it starts wearing.

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 11-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodemonkey View Post

Expensive, but resistant to solvents - gives great traction and wipes up easily. Mine is stained from use, but the Glock mat and Cabelas mats I had eventually became too saturated with solvents and cleaners. I used several layers of blue shop towels on top of them too. The Ransom Mat has been the one that just held up.

My $.02

Edit: the little ridges at the top are awesome to keep parts from escaping. It's one of those things that I never realize I would use, but find myself using it almost every time I use it.

That is a nice one, might have to make a Brownels order.

Please help support The Calguns Foundation by clicking this link before your next purchase

Old 11-14-2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodemonkey View Post

My $.02

Actually that isn't such a bad price considering the rifle parts mats that are sold at the gun shows cost $20.

Thanks kodemonkey!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:00 PM

I use a yoga mat. Works perfect and can cut to size!
Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I like TekMat cleaning mats.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 AM

puppy training pads - single use and absorbent.

i clean my guns at the kitchen table and the only time one of these pads failed to protect was when i accidentally tipped over a bottle of hoppes that didnt have the cap on and a good 3 ounces poured out.
Old 11-23-2013, 5:13 AM
Veteran Member

I second a rifle length tekmat to clean multiple pistols. Might even be a blk fri item on many sites. Very similar to a mouse pad. Easy to clean, and i just lay a paper towel across to absorb cleaners.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Following up on this. I found a guy on ebay that makes custom mouse pads in large sizes (14"x24") which would work perfect for me. I sent him my image and should be getting it in a week. Price was $20.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cleaningpad.jpg (5.9 KB, 12 views)