Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

View Poll Results: Ruger Hawkeye or Savage Hog Hunter
Ruger Hawkeye 6 31.58%
Savage Hog Hunter 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2013, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Default Hunting rifle - Ruger Hawkeye or Savage Hog Hunter

I'm in the market for a 308 rifle and narrowed it down to these two.

Which do you recommend, tell me the good and the bad for both rifles if you have experience with them.

Personally I like the safety and smoothness of the bolt on the Savage but it's a bit barrel heavy. The Ruger on the other hand is lighter but the bolt isn't as smooth and the safety isn't as perfect IMO. All this boils down to both being equal so I'd appreciate your help steering me towards one of them.

Thanks,
Old 11-13-2013, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the Savage and have been extremely happy with it. Great action. I was wanting to buy a 700, but the M11 really turned my head and it was the right gun at the right price for me.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 11-13-2013, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

I like the hog hunter but I wish it had a lighter barrel. I don't get why they made it so heavy?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 PM

I have the Ruger 308 in LH. Love that rifle. action is a bit clunky and yes the safety is something to be desired. Very well made rifle in my opinion. Shot my first buck with it two seasons ago and to be honest you wont notice the safety or the action once the adrenalin kicks in.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
Personally I like the safety and smoothness of the bolt on the Savage but it's a bit barrel heavy. The Ruger on the other hand is lighter but the bolt isn't as smooth and the safety isn't as perfect IMO. All this boils down to both being equal so I'd appreciate your help steering me towards one of them.
So, in your case, it's safe to say the important parts (action, controls) suck on the ruger and excel on the savage (for you).

Did you have scopes on the guns? If you're going to have a scope on them anyway, handle them while scoped, then tell me if the savage seems a bit barrel heavy.

What decision is there to make?

The Ruger is far better looking if that matters to you.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Been hunting with a Ruger m77 mk II .308 since 1992... (Was that really 21 years ago?!) and have never had an issue. Reliable, light weight and decent accuracy for me 1" @ 100yds with Barnes TTSX 150gr. And that's with a bushnell scope.

No experience with Savage, nor new model Rugers though.

Attention Marines! (and military friendly employers); I'm the new OC rep for www.marineforlife.org, looking to connect transitioning Marines to civilian opportunities; employment, education, etc. PM me if you are a Marine in need, or if you have an opportunity for military members.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:32 AM

I considered the Hog Hunter, but it didn't have a bottom magazine release. At least for me, that was important to have.
Old 11-14-2013, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

I do like a flush bottom but a detachable mag or bottom mag release isn't important to me. A prefer a fixed magazine.

If the Savage was lighter I wouldn't hesitate as I like everything else about it. I guess I should check if there is a lighter weight savage in the same price range.

The hog hunter is around $475 and Ruger I like is about $525.
Old 11-14-2013, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
I do like a flush bottom but a detachable mag or bottom mag release isn't important to me. A prefer a fixed magazine.

If the Savage was lighter I wouldn't hesitate as I like everything else about it. I guess I should check if there is a lighter weight savage in the same price range.

The hog hunter is around $475 and Ruger I like is about $525.
If that's the only price difference just get the Ruger. I voted Hog hunter but for some reason I thought Rugers were a lot higher priced.
Old 11-14-2013, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

They normally are. This one has synthetic stock with blued steel. I guess it's a high value dealer exclusive.
Old 11-14-2013, 9:22 AM
Veteran Member

Update....bought the Ruger.

Thanks for all your input!
Old 11-14-2013, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Put a 3X9X40 Leupold scope with duplex reticle on it and a Claw sling and you are set for life.
Old 11-14-2013, 9:51 AM

I have a Ruger Scout which is the same action. It might have been a little clunky but after sitting and racking it back and forth about 500 times it smoothed out. Definitely acceptable but not as smooth as some.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen
Old 11-14-2013, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

I know the bolt will smooth out in no time. Looks wise the Ruger is more sexy for my eyes and I like how the stock feels. They had the same dealer exclusive rifles in 7mm-08 and I regret not buying one. I have the synthetic with blue 77/357 and really like it so I know what to expect. My 2013 gun buying is now done.