Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 10-29-2013, 5:55 AM

Son drove by on the weekend...said it was still there and looked good....

We had a good soaking rain last night...at least it sounded that way from the confines of my nice warm bed.... Hope it was so....
Old 10-29-2013, 6:32 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I did a rain dance last night and the dog peed on my boots, I reckon more practice is needed

Speaking of artwork, has anyone ginned up any type of artwork for a Glass Factory design on shirts, sweatshirts etc?
Since we are stirring up the primitive hunting juices here put some thought into some designs or a concept while we have the time to tinker.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers
New eCommerce site is up, if you have any problems with it, let me know.

The Gulag Archipelago - Online read .pdf
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Things in the works guys in regards to steel and target stands and a mess of range safety improvements up there. We are just waiting for approval to put it into motion. Patience, patience.

I agree with the stuff about rain, so far, we are no wetter up there than we were in August. We are going to need some serious, consecutive storms to get us anywhere near opening back up up there. It would be weird if we were closed until January but I guess it could happen.
Let me know if you are taking contributions for the targets.
Old 11-10-2013, 6:02 AM
CGSSA Associate, Ventura Co.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosoomi View Post
Son drove by on the weekend...said it was still there and looked good....
That's encouraging, thanks for the update.
Old 11-10-2013, 9:45 AM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

The cool mornings are stirring the reminders of how cool it is to be up there at sunrise for a morning of shooting. A hundred rounds or so before it turns into a zoo.

-178S
Old 11-11-2013, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One78Shovel View Post
The cool mornings are stirring the reminders of how cool it is to be up there at sunrise for a morning of shooting. A hundred rounds or so before it turns into a zoo.

-178S
In by 8 out by 12. Unless I drank the night before............................ Its comforting to know that no one has gone up there and dumped more crap during the closure.
Old 11-15-2013, 5:54 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Get this guys, my wife, who I have only taken shooting twice in 29 years of marriage, mentioned that she would be interested in going shooting as she wants to share some more of my interests. Now I really need the Glass Factory to open back up, I don't want to drag her to an indoor range! We are trying for meetings with the Forest Service for our proposed range improvements but it has been slow going to make that happen. We are still on it, have drawn up a proposed plan, now we just need to have a meeting to pitch it.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 11-21-2013, 3:16 PM

Any word on if the range is open yet?
Old 11-21-2013, 3:18 PM

Dude we just got rain! It will take alot more than this to get it open, patience. I know no one wants to hear but I still firmly believe if we see it open before new years we will be lucky.
Old 11-22-2013, 1:38 PM

Doug.... It's raining again.... Be a good boy and run up there and see if it's open... :-))
Old 11-22-2013, 2:03 PM

I'll be in Oxnard on Saturday though I may head up in the hills on Sunday to shoot some pics. If I do I will swing by.
Old 11-22-2013, 5:33 PM

I'll take a ride up there this weekend. I'll let you know.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Watch the Los Padres National Forest website for alerts regarding closure or opening of the Glass Factory (aka - lifting fire restrictions):
http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/lpnf/home

Last fire restriction went into effect in July, and has not yet been lifted, this would include the Glass Factory:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/h...telprdb5401877
Old 11-24-2013, 8:35 AM

Any news if it's open?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM

I heard after thanksgiving the GF would be open for business but it looks like it might take a little longer then that. Really looking forward to this.
Old 11-27-2013, 3:23 PM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

Just heard on KNX that Kern county has canceled their fire restrictions so here's hoping we're soon to follow.

-178S
Old 11-29-2013, 8:09 PM

Got more rain last night
Old 11-29-2013, 8:52 PM

Hoping its open ..
Old 11-30-2013, 2:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus805 View Post
Hoping its open ..
Nothing official yet. I doubt we'll know anything until at least Monday.

But I'm sure the weather will help. We have more rain in the forecast during the week.

I will still be surprised if it opens before 2014.
Old 12-03-2013, 9:39 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

SoCalMountainMan, who runs the GF Facebook page, receives a text from a ranger friend as soon as the GF is open. Assuming you are on Facebook, like the GF page and you will know before anyone when it opens.

Old 12-04-2013, 9:32 PM
CGSSA Associate

saturday is supposed to dump more kittens and rainbows.

Might be enough... we need like 122x what we got the other week. **** the range - if you live here, you should be concerned about potable water supply *sorry for getting blue, but we're in bad shape here
Old 12-05-2013, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post

Might be enough... we need like 122x what we got the other week. **** the range - if you live here, you should be concerned about potable water supply *sorry for getting blue, but we're in bad shape here
Yeah I know.. I think I heard that the dam is empty and cachuma is down to 40%
Old 12-06-2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post

Forecast has been downgraded, there is supposed to be showers between 4am tonight and 10am tomorrow. Not very promising.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 PM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellArmedSurfer View Post
Forecast has been downgraded, there is supposed to be showers between 4am tonight and 10am tomorrow. Not very promising.
Glad I broke down and went to Piru this past Wednesday. IMO, we are not only fighting mother nature, but I'm sure there is a little politics involved as well.

But on average, it has been anywhere from the first to third week in December when it normally opens

-178S
Old 12-10-2013, 4:42 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Stay tuned...things brewing.

Old 12-10-2013, 6:42 PM

Good things? Or bad things Capy?
Old 12-11-2013, 3:34 PM

Per edhat as of today

Fire Restrictions Lowered
updated: Dec 11, 2013, 2:43 PM
Source: Los Padres National Forest

Recent rainfall across Los Padres National Forest has led to rising fuel moisture levels, prompting officials to reduce fire restrictions on the forest effective immediately.

Under the reduced fire restrictions, campfires and charcoal barbeques will be allowed in all areas of Los Padres National Forest. A California Campfire Permit, available free of charge on the Forest Internet site, is required to build a campfire outside of a designated Campfire Use Site. A list of Campfire Use Sites and information about how to acquire a campfire permit is available at all Los Padres National Forest offices.

Visitors who construct wood or charcoal fires outside of designated Campfire Use Sites also must clear all flammable material for a minimum of ten feet in all directions; have a shovel available for preparing and extinguishing the fire; have a responsible person in attendance at all times; and extinguish the fire with water, using the "drown, stir and feel" method.

Prohibitions on smoking and target shooting in Los Padres National Forest are also being lifted.

"As we move into the rainy season and reduce fire restrictions, it's important to remember that fire can happen at any time of the year," said Los Padres National Forest Supervisor Peggy Hernandez. "I strongly encourage all visitors to exercise caution while they are enjoying the forest."

The following fire restrictions will remain in effect:

Spark arresters are required on all off-highway vehicles, chainsaws, and other internal combustion engines and equipment;

A permit is required for all welding, grinding, cutting, or use of explosives;

Tracer ammunition is prohibited at all times;

Fireworks are prohibited in Los Padres National Forest at all times and in all places.

Visitors are encouraged to call the local Ranger Station for more information on conditions and restrictions.

So I'm taking it things are open?
Old 12-11-2013, 3:51 PM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

Thanks

-178S
Old 12-11-2013, 6:14 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Yup, we are officially open tomorrow! Remember, as a Calgunner, when you shoot up there, please, please, please keep it clean and ask others to as well.

We have range improvements in process and if we are lucky enough to get the Forest Service to approve them, we won't be able to implement them if we have to have another range cleanup in a few months. Frankly, we need your help to keep the GF open and keeping it cleaner is the first step.

Old 12-11-2013, 7:09 PM

I'll be up there Sunday and I'll let people know what's up and to keep it clean
Old 12-11-2013, 9:07 PM

Flipping sweet!!!! Means I get to take my son up there after Xmas to try out his new rascal!
Old 12-12-2013, 6:02 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Thanks Jesus805. We all need to pitch in and keep this place clean or it will be going away. The Forest Service, Congress Members, County Supervisors will all be watching the Glass Factory very carefully this season. Remember, we removed 41 tons of garbage in January and another 16 tons in May. It's very simple, if we, as a community of shooters, cannot keep the place much cleaner, it will close permanently. There are forces who already want this to happen as we speak, very influential and powerful people who can make it happen. So it is up to us to not only keep doing the range cleanups, but to police the place and strongly encourage others to NOT pollute it, to clean up their mess each and every time or there will be no more public shooting area up there. Hope all of you can help us keep it cleaner.

We are hoping that our proposal to do massive range improvements is approved soon. If we do get approval, prepare to see a huge CGSSA fundraising effort to improve the area to make it cleaner and safer to shoot at. If not, we still need it keep it clean so we will have it as a great place to shoot at for the foreseeable future.

Old 12-12-2013, 6:12 PM

Yeah no problem
I have a big dump truck (ford f550) when it gets dirty again I am more than happy to use it and clean up up there.... If guys/gal want to help out with a little $$$ for gas and dump fee that would be cool...
Old 12-13-2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Thanks Jesus805. We all need to pitch in and keep this place clean or it will be going away. The Forest Service, Congress Members, County Supervisors will all be watching the Glass Factory very carefully this season. Remember, we removed 41 tons of garbage in January and another 16 tons in May. It's very simple, if we, as a community of shooters, cannot keep the place much cleaner, it will close permanently. There are forces who already want this to happen as we speak, very influential and powerful people who can make it happen. So it is up to us to not only keep doing the range cleanups, but to police the place and strongly encourage others to NOT pollute it, to clean up their mess each and every time or there will be no more public shooting area up there. Hope all of you can help us keep it cleaner.

We are hoping that our proposal to do massive range improvements is approved soon. If we do get approval, prepare to see a huge CGSSA fundraising effort to improve the area to make it cleaner and safer to shoot at. If not, we still need it keep it clean so we will have it as a great place to shoot at for the foreseeable future.
I am always careful to pick up all my trash when I'm there and a little extra. I wasn't able to make those cleanup days though. Would definitely be interested in kicking in some funds.
Old 12-13-2013, 6:51 PM

Maybe someone could make some flyers on a .pdf that we can print and pass out up there.
Old 12-13-2013, 7:49 PM

There is the KEEP IT CLEAN OR LOOSE IT FLYER floating around somewhere. I will be up there Sunday morning doing my best to spread the word. Having somethingto pass out would definitely help though.
Old 12-15-2013, 6:34 PM

I was up there this evening. Still seems somewhat clean but I guess it's only been open a few days.

This sign was posted at the gate:

And this is what we packed out, as well as another bag of trash I missed for the pic and a cooler full of brass:
Old 12-15-2013, 8:30 PM

Was up there from 10 until 1 today. It was pretty clean still! I saw a big hood and bumper from a truck when I arrived and wasn't sure who had brought it. But to my surprise the person who brought it packed it out! Because they had been on calguns and seen all we are doing to keep this place open. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVERYONE.
Old 12-15-2013, 8:32 PM

Yeah I took the hood and bumper back .. Trying to keep it clean up there
Old 12-17-2013, 2:30 AM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

Hope to make it up there a day this week. Maybe Fri or Sat.

-178S