Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-15-2013, 6:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Removing Windows 8 and installing Windows 7: Help!

How do I do?
Old 10-15-2013, 9:06 AM

Back up any important files, photos, documents, music you have to separate memory source (external Hard drive, DVD-r, memory stick, etc).

Reboot PC and change boot settings to boot from DVD drive first.

Put in Win 7 disc. Reboot PC. When Win 7 install menu comes up, Full format hard drive. Clean install win 7. Change boot settings to boot from HDD first. Let pc do full update of win 7. (This will take a while, with multiple downloads and restarts).

There are multiple, multiple write ups and FAQs and DIY blogs on how to do a clean install of windows up on the net with a simple google search. I suggest you read a couple before you start.

Last edited by Iknownot; 10-15-2013 at 9:09 AM..
Old 10-15-2013, 9:22 AM
Veteran Member

Iknownot knows more than he thinks. He gave good advice. I did this a couple months ago, gave up on 8. I always keep my desktop/documents/pictures on a separate drive letter so I lose next to nothing if I wipe C: at any point in time. Just takes a bit of learning to find out how to change locations.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 10-15-2013, 9:47 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

I have both formats. I like windows 7 a lot, but I will keep windows 8 on my laptop and just run classic shell. If you haven't done that already, give it a try before you change things. You get your start menu back, your goodies you are probably missing, and it is SUPER stable for me thus far. I am running mine for web browsing, photos and music, recording music and mixing music tracks that my wife and I are playing, and just fiddling around on the computer for random stuff.

Hope this helps some!
Old 10-15-2013, 9:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknownot View Post
Back up any important files, photos, documents, music you have to separate memory source (external Hard drive, DVD-r, memory stick, etc).

Reboot PC and change boot settings to boot from DVD drive first.

Put in Win 7 disc. Reboot PC. When Win 7 install menu comes up, Full format hard drive. Clean install win 7. Change boot settings to boot from HDD first. Let pc do full update of win 7. (This will take a while, with multiple downloads and restarts).

There are multiple, multiple write ups and FAQs and DIY blogs on how to do a clean install of windows up on the net with a simple google search. I suggest you read a couple before you start.

Thank you for input. I guess I didn't ask the right question when I googled my query.
Old 10-15-2013, 1:09 PM

I just wanted to point out one other thing if you don't have a physical copy of your win 8 disc. Depending on where you got your PC from, your win 8 disc image may actually be on your PC hard drive (this is how Dell does it now).

So, make sure you check your PC documentation to make a set of OS discs so you can reinstall win 8 and any original software that may have come with your computer if you ever want to go back to the way your PC came from the factory.

If you format your harddrive, you may erase all this information and be unable in the future to go back to win 8 if you want to.
Old 10-15-2013, 2:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I just wanted to point out one other thing if you don't have a physical copy of your win 8 disc. Depending on where you got your PC from, your win 8 disc image may actually be on your PC hard drive (this is how Dell does it now).

So, make sure you check your PC documentation to make a set of OS discs so you can reinstall win 8 and any original software that may have come with your computer if you ever want to go back to the way your PC came from the factory.

If you format your harddrive, you may erase all this information and be unable in the future to go back to win 8 if you want to.
Thanks but I never want t go back... Windows 8 can go to OS hell as far as I'm concerned.

Take care.
Old 10-15-2013, 4:20 PM

You know there's going to be an 8.1 update with some revisions to what people are complaining about in 2 days right?
Old 10-15-2013, 4:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^ Windows is becoming sinister... I'll pass.
Old 10-15-2013, 5:56 PM

I had a computer with ME on it that blue screen of death'd on start up, fresh out of the box with no programs on it.... That's sinister. People may not like the changes 8 brought, but MS has certainly had much worse versions of windows in the past. I am still on 7 myself (and XP on an older PC) but from what I've seen, I don't think 8 is horrible. I just think it's too touch screen oriented for regular users. But you can run the classic mode if you want. I'd take 8 over Vista, of I had to pick between the 2. It's certainly more stable.
Old 10-15-2013, 6:27 PM
Veteran Member

Back in the mid 90s through mid 00s computers were in a boom stage, and most of the crashes people attributed to Windows (95, 98, ME) were often bad RAM. It was being thrown off the assembly lines as fast as possible, and used the future owners as quality testers.
Old 10-15-2013, 7:32 PM

ME was a pile of steaming dog doo. I later put XP on the same machine and it ran like a top after that point, all other hardware being the same.
Old 10-15-2013, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
ME was a pile of steaming dog doo. I later put XP on the same machine and it ran like a top after that point, all other hardware and software being the same.
ME was by far the worst OS they made, but XP was almost as bad for the first year it existed. All the people who were crying about Vista sucking at first either forgot or never saw XP in that first year or two. I had to revert back to Windows 2000 until Service Pack 1.
Old 10-16-2013, 3:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Since running Linux as the native OS for like 4+ months at work, I am going to drop Windows 7 back on it, however since I do not support Windows users at home, Linux is going on my Server 2008, and Windows 7 box as soon as a reinstall is in order for either.

Win8 is a POS and the most inefficient design for getting anything done quickly.
i.e. I always enable Run on the start Menu and hit Start => Run => dfrgui.exe/cmd/cleanmgr/"."/"/"/Etc <Enter> and such as it is quicker than the menu, and you can see more.
Batch files started failing in Windows XP (and every subsequent version) that have worked in EVERY prior versions of Windows and using variables for partial commands in the CLI because M$ failed to continue to support the basic function of them in batch files is just plain stupid, and I am not learning the scripting host or whatever the new .bat/.cmd equivalent is, as *IX scripts work for every version of *IX.

Last edited by the86d; 10-16-2013 at 3:58 AM..
Old 10-20-2013, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I ran win 98 for 12 years until I finally gave in (well technically Microsoft stopped updating) and built a new system almost 2 years ago with Windows 7.

No complaints for a casual gamer/internet user.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 10-21-2013, 8:50 AM

OP I'd check all the hardware drivers for Win 7 compatibility before you wipe it.
Old 10-21-2013, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castgold View Post
OP I'd check all the hardware drivers for Win 7 compatibility before you wipe it.
Windows 8 drivers and Windows 7 drivers are the same. So even if something was missing he could use the Win8 disk to put drivers on a Win7 install.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Wikipidiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artema View Post
Windows 8 drivers and Windows 7 drivers are the same. So even if something was missing he could use the Win8 disk to put drivers on a Win7 install.
Nope. Some win 8 drivers need special attention. Particularly if you have a "Win 8" compliant hardware with secure boot enabled. Going from 8 to 7 should be OK.

Win98SE was the best MS OS ...
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
We have the time and the hammers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown
Study and learn our history and law as it is -- not as you would like it to be.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

OP, make a copy of 8; you never know when it might come in handy. I've been using 8 for 2 weeks and I got over my initial barf reflex....
Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewan View Post
OP, make a copy of 8; you never know when it might come in handy. I've been using 8 for 2 weeks and I got over my initial barf reflex....
I'm playing games on Steam that I never played before because I was able to get them to not crash in Windows 7. When I open Windows Explorer (to save a file) it doesn't hang for 2 minutes because it is trying to resolve ALL networked drives prior to showing me anything. Windows 8 interface is not its only downfall. But like XP, it may recover in a few years.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM

My son bricks his pc so often I've saved drivers and what not on a thumb drive.