Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-17-2013, 8:25 AM

Default New Mossberg 930 loading problem

I just picked up a Brand new 930 Field combo. While loading rounds into the mag i have to depress the bolt release to get the elevator to move upwards to load each round into the magazine tube. Doesn't matter what position the bolt is in forward or back. I haven't even put one round through it yet. I haven't field stripped it yet, except swapping the barrels. Any suggestions?

I called Mossbergs so called customer support and talked to Roger who was worthless. I also bought this from Budsguns so any warranty issue would go through Mossberg.
Old 10-17-2013, 9:51 AM

That's the way my 11-87 loads. Need to push up on bolt release to load each round.
Old 10-17-2013, 9:56 AM

Once the bolt is foreward you should be able to load the mag tube. When the bolt is locked back the elevator is locked. No clue why you have to press bolt release to make the elevator work.
Old 10-17-2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Rat View Post
Once the bolt is foreward you should be able to load the mag tube. When the bolt is locked back the elevator is locked. No clue why you have to press bolt release to make the elevator work.

Yeah, I have no idea why either. I got a email for another technical support guy at mossberg. He wants me to video it and send it to him to see.

Personally, I don't think it should have left the production line like this. When I talked to the Roger from tech support he repeatedly told me to call the place I bought it from. Which I think is BS since they didn't manufacture the gun. It was also a internet purchase from Budsguns. Which was a smooth transaction.
Old 10-17-2013, 1:09 PM
Veteran Member

buds has nothing to do with it. that guys trying to pass the buck because he doesnt know wtf hes doing. you talk to mossberg until the issue is resolved. their customer service is supposedly pretty good. I havent had to use them yet but I may on my 930 JM pro
Old 10-17-2013, 1:30 PM

From what I keep hearing seems like their customer support can be hit or miss. Sucks cause bird season is here.
Old 10-17-2013, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
That's the way my 11-87 loads. Need to push up on bolt release to load each round.
Are you guys talking about the same thing? You do need to push the Carrier (elevator) up in order to insert a shell into the tube magazine.

The Bolt Release button releases the bolt if it is pulled back, and also unlocks the Carrier (elevator).

RWhat: If you drop a shell directly into carrier from ejection port, and then hit the bolt release button. Can you now insert shells into the tube magazine? The Carrier should be moving freely after you have hit the bolt release and should remain so until the bolt is locked back again.
Old 10-17-2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post

RWhat: If you drop a shell directly into carrier from ejection port, and then hit the bolt release button. Can you now insert shells into the tube magazine? The Carrier should be moving freely after you have hit the bolt release and should remain so until the bolt is locked back again.
Nope, I cannot. I played with it by loading dummy rounds into the chamber and then releasing the bolt. I still have to press the bolt release to get the elevator unlocked to insert each round into the magazine.
Old 10-17-2013, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwhat View Post
Nope, I cannot. I played with it by loading dummy rounds into the chamber and then releasing the bolt. I still have to press the bolt release to get the elevator unlocked to insert each round into the magazine.
I'm not an expert with shotguns but it doesn't sound right, hopefully you can send it back to Mossberg for servicing.
Old 10-18-2013, 4:38 PM

Where about are you? I have a 930SPX...maybe someone local can help you out...it's not rocket science to check out your shotgun.

If you do have to send it back for warranty work..make sure the shipping is on their dime and they send you a fedex shipping label.
Old 10-18-2013, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Something is wrong with your 930.

On my 930 when the bolt is closed, the elevator is unlocked and can be moved upwards with finger pressure. There is a weak spring that pushes it back down if it is not actively being pushed up.

When the bolt is open the elevator is locked in the down position.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 10-19-2013, 12:01 PM

As stated that's not normal or acceptable. Go to the www.mossbergowners.com forum and hit up yhe 930 forum. If nothing else you can get a good customer service reps direct email and they are quick to help.