Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-02-2013, 2:14 PM

Default Anyone know what to do with a citation for expired tags?

So I was driving on expired tags. I had paid my registration fee, I had current insurance, but I still needed a smog. So the CHP officer said, "No big deal. You can keep driving but I'm going to give you a correctable citation. Once you get the smog done your registration will be complete, and if you show proof, the citation is correctable."

The citation is $25.

My question is- do I HAVE to go to court to show them proof that I finished it, or can I just pay the $25 and be done with it? (I live in OC and my court date is 8:30 AM in LA. Not worth it.) It also says something about in order to be corrected I need to visit a Police inspection center. I have never heard of that before. So I am confused as to whether I need to go to court AND go to an inspection station. Or if I can just pay it. And if I pay it does it go on my record? If I show proof does it stay off my record?

Ugh. I have so many questions. I called the number they provided but it's all automated and you can't actually ask a damn question. Went to the Superior Court website as well, didn't help.

Here is an informational letter they sent me. But it might as well have been written in Japanese:

Thanks guys

EDIT: Picture fixed

Last edited by OC Speedball; 10-02-2013 at 2:26 PM..
Old 10-02-2013, 2:25 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would suggest just calling your local CHP office and ask them. They should/might be able to answer your questions.
Old 10-02-2013, 2:35 PM

I believe that you can take your proof to a CHP station, have them sign off on it and mail it to the court. As the instructions say, be sure you have them put the sign off/stamp on the back of the citation and mail it in with your payment. And don't let them use red ink at all.

Disclaimer: this is not legal advice, just my interpretation - call the CHP and ask them.
Old 10-02-2013, 2:39 PM

I've had one of those, it's basically a fix-it ticket. After you get your smog done, take it down to the PD and the desk cop signs it off. You might still have to pay the $10 fix-it ticket fee though. I don't remember, it's been awhile.
Old 10-02-2013, 2:58 PM

Next time, go to the DMV and get a temporary registration tag to place on your rear window. It will have a number (1 to 12 matching respective month) on it designating that your vehicle is legal on the road until the 30 or 60 days (can't remember) is up. You will need to resolve the smog issue during the time allotted.

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law (in most cases). No current tags, not legal on the road. If you had the temporary tag, you wouldn't have gotten the ticket.

To your question, the above is correct. Treat it as a fix it ticket. You can call your local station and schedule a sign off appointment, but I believe that you still need to attend court to pay the fees for processing.

GL
Old 10-02-2013, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

Note...

If you do have your tags, don't just hold them against the inside of the window when the LEO walks up. She will still ask you to roll down your window, and she will give you a ticket. I'm Rocking Dec 2012 tags now, the rest are on the visor.

Also... If you are going to roll around with expired tags make sure you have your insurance card handy. If you hand them your registration with tags, insurance, and license you can get a lot of warnings.
Old 10-02-2013, 3:14 PM

You need to get it corrected. I don't know if they will do this but try calling the court and seeing if you can submit the proof and fee by mail without having to show up in person. Btw, just because you got a ticket does NOT mean you are ok to drive the car until your court date!
Old 10-02-2013, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

LA County Courts require a "Certificate of Correction" for fix-it tickets. CHP still does them for free, LASD charges $15 and they have an inspection lane at the Metropolitan Court (1925 S. Hill St.) where you can get the certificate. Then you can either take it inside to pay, or complete it by mail.

Just getting it signed no longer works at LA Courts. It will need an official stamp or certificate.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 10-04-2013, 9:33 PM

Thanks for your responses guys!

So are you saying they smog it for me at the inspection station for a small fee? Or do I just go and get a smog somewhere and then bring them the completion of registration from the DMV?

Either way, I'll be calling the CHP and asking them.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Speedball View Post
Thanks for your responses guys!

So are you saying they smog it for me at the inspection station for a small fee? Or do I just go and get a smog somewhere and then bring them the completion of registration from the DMV?

Either way, I'll be calling the CHP and asking them.
Smog is totally different, and you will need to take the smog certificate to the court. Some exhaust and emissions violations also have to go to a certified inspection station specific to those violations.

If the cite was just for reg, them get it smogged as usual so you can complete the reg. once you get the completed reg, some courts will accept the reg as proof of correction, others may require a seperate certificate of correction.

This is something that should be standardized statewide and not left to individual counties

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 10-12-2013, 10:58 AM

If you paid your fees but needed smog, the registration DMV sent you clearly says at the top of the registration, "This is not an operating permit." You paid the reg fees to avoid a penalty but this doesn't give you operating privileges.

You can be cited again for driving this vehicle or towed if you let it go too long. You are suppose to not drive the vehicle and get a "one day" moving permit to go and get it smogged and then wait for your "valid" operating permit and stickers and then you can get it signed off showing the valid reg and stickers.

As mentioned, unless you got the large operating sticker with the month on it, you are not suppose to drive the vehicle. I have cited numerous drivers who had a previous ticket in hand because they said they were too busy to get around to smogging their car. Hope this makes sense.