Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMike70 View Post
Congratulations

I'm glad to see that a few of you made it this far. I pm'ed you some suggestions. Good luck in the academy and I hope I get a chance to meet you on graduation day. Good luck

I just received my background packet in the mail. (Sigh of relief.) now to make sure that this is filled out correctly so I can move on to the next stage. How strict/ lenient are they in regards to background? I don't have any criminal records, not driving infractions, or drug use etc, but I am nervous because when I applied for LAPD those questions made it seem like I'm a bad guy. Are they less strict than LAPD?
Old 09-13-2013, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhaylock View Post
I just received my background packet in the mail. (Sigh of relief.) now to make sure that this is filled out correctly so I can move on to the next stage. How strict/ lenient are they in regards to background? I don't have any criminal records, not driving infractions, or drug use etc, but I am nervous because when I applied for LAPD those questions made it seem like I'm a bad guy. Are they less strict than LAPD?
That's great bro!! When did u do your oral? I have my fingers crossed and pray that I get one very soon too. Even if I don't, I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Thanks. I did my oral on April 20th. So I understand the "restlessness" of not hearing from them for months. I have a coworker who is going through the process as well. She scored band 1 as well with a score of 100 and she's still waiting for her big packet.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I did my oral on April 20th. So I understand the "restlessness" of not hearing from them for months. I have a coworker who is going through the process as well. She scored band 1 as well with a score of 100 and she's still waiting for her big packet.
Did u get a call from the department first or did the packet surprise u in the mail?
Old 09-13-2013, 8:15 PM

TYRTL

sent you PM
Old 09-13-2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
standard law enforcement background including polygraph. the biggest thing causing people to DQ is that they are not being truthfull on the background packet. It all comes out in the poly and then it is an automatic DQ for lying. If your honest and dont have much in your history then you will be fine. good luck.
Old 09-13-2013, 8:18 PM

@LtMike hello I finish the whole process can you pm on the next upcoming steps

Thanks
Old 09-13-2013, 8:23 PM

Hello Orachatodd

if you have completed the entire process including the polygraph, medical and psych, your full packet of info from alll of the various steps is sent to our quality control folks for a final review and approval. this usually takes about a month. If approved by QC then they will give you a call. If you are processing for GSN, DSO or DPO I then our next academy starts October 11. If you are processing for DPO II then we may (possibly) have and academy in december. good luck
Old 09-13-2013, 9:05 PM

@LtMike thanks for the update
Old 09-14-2013, 6:40 PM

I had my oral interview this morning. I wanted to ask you all a couple questions, first, how did you find out you passed? Did you get a letter, did you get a phone call or did you just receive your background packet and assume you passed? Second, how long did it take to find out you passed? Thanks in advance all!

www.just4fununlimited.com
Old 09-14-2013, 6:50 PM

I had my oral today. For those of you who are scheduled for one, they are not that bad. There are 8 questions. You have two Probation supervisors on the panel. Each one will ask a question, so each one asks you four questions. They are situational, and examples of past experiences. I would suggest you be respectful (yes, Sir, yes, Ma'am). I would also suggest you look at the person who asked you the question, and direct your answer to that person (eye contact). Lastly, I would suggest you listen to the question carefully, and think before you answer. You want to make sure your answer pertains to the question (no rabbit trails).

I was informed there is no way to study for the oral, however, if you "bone up" on the job description (for example, know that detention services is the juvenile halls, and the residential treatment is the camps), it will assist you.

Now I wait!

Good luck everyone!
Old 09-14-2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrtl View Post
I had my oral interview this morning. I wanted to ask you all a couple questions, first, how did you find out you passed? Did you get a letter, did you get a phone call or did you just receive your background packet and assume you passed? Second, how long did it take to find out you passed? Thanks in advance all!
I have applied for the Investigator Aid (IA) position with the Probation Department. During that process I was notified by letter how I did on the oral. It arrived a few days to a week after my oral (if I remember correctly).

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2013, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuyy View Post
I have applied for the Investigator Aid (IA) position with the Probation Department. During that process I was notified by letter how I did on the oral. It arrived a few days to a week after my oral (if I remember correctly).

Good luck!

I greatly appreciate the information and good luck to you on the process as well.

Old 09-16-2013, 8:04 PM

tyrtl- I had my interview on August 31st and received a letter in the mail this past Friday. I scored a 98, so now it's hurry up and wait time!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:36 PM

Check out my sig line and pass the link on...
Old 09-23-2013, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1915 View Post
tyrtl- I had my interview on August 31st and received a letter in the mail this past Friday. I scored a 98, so now it's hurry up and wait time!
Congrats and thanks for the heads up. Good luck to you on the rest of the selection process.

Old 09-23-2013, 7:27 PM

If you have previous military experience, you get an extra 10 points. I've been told there is 5 pages worth of band 1 applicants.

Last edited by sfoan; 09-23-2013 at 7:32 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 7:30 PM

Does anyone have an estimate (or accurate count) of how many DPO I's the department is hiring?
Old 09-23-2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuyy View Post
Does anyone have an estimate (or accurate count) of how many DPO I's the department is hiring?
I heard between 200-250.
Old 09-23-2013, 7:48 PM

Ultimately as of this month we are still down about 650 positions in the field. These positions are for DPO II's. But we have to hire GSN, DSO and DPO I's to fill the bottom positions so that we can continue promoting those that are already in the department and are just waiting for the promotion.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:11 PM

Hello Ltmike70,

I took and passed both the written test and oral interview for DPO I and DPO II (T and C) earlier this year. I received my scoring letter and I placed in BAND 1 for both positions (DPO I-100 and DPO II- 97). I received the letter in March 2013 and I have not heard from the department since. I call bi-weekly for updates and I am told that I am on the list for a year. Do you have any information that can help me?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Unfortunately, all I can say is that they should get to you at some point. They process folks in blocks. I know they are completing written testing on a group of about 400 right now. You may may get a call to continue the process soon. Good luck
Old 09-24-2013, 6:45 PM

Here is a scheduled of when I tested to when I received a phone call for backgrounds

Written Test: 3/08/13
Interview : 4/06/13 Score: 97
Background : 9/16/13

While I would have loved to work for LA County Probation, another county was able to pick me up faster. I've been working as a P.O for a little over 2 months now and I love it!

Also Lt. Mike has been a great resource in finding employment in probation. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Thank you for your response Ltmike70. I was told that I am on the eligibility list for one year. Is it likely that a year will pass and I will have to restart the process over again?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Also thank you for your comment and post spread589.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM

Cora
We still have plenty of time to continue your process. You will stay on that list until one year passes from the date on your banding letter. After that, you expire and have to reaply. The only positive if you expire is that you will most likely not have to take the written since you already passed it. Lets hope they are able to get to you. On a positive note, processing on both lists gives you a greater chance of getting picked up since the rest of the process is the same for both positions. I would recommend that you also apply for DSO when that opens up next. Good luck
Old 09-29-2013, 7:40 PM

thank you for your response and feedback
Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spread589 View Post
Here is a scheduled of when I tested to when I received a phone call for backgrounds

Written Test: 3/08/13
Interview : 4/06/13 Score: 97
Background : 9/16/13

While I would have loved to work for LA County Probation, another county was able to pick me up faster. I've been working as a P.O for a little over 2 months now and I love it!

Also Lt. Mike has been a great resource in finding employment in probation. Thank you!
Spread589,

what agency did you get hired with and are they still hiring? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMike70 View Post
Cora
We still have plenty of time to continue your process. You will stay on that list until one year passes from the date on your banding letter. After that, you expire and have to reaply. The only positive if you expire is that you will most likely not have to take the written since you already passed it. Lets hope they are able to get to you. On a positive note, processing on both lists gives you a greater chance of getting picked up since the rest of the process is the same for both positions. I would recommend that you also apply for DSO when that opens up next. Good luck
LTMIKE70,

Where can I go to signup for an alert so that I can apply for the DSO position as well. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 AM

It has been a while since anyone has posted any updates. I guess I'll be the one. @Lt mike, I have turned in my background packet two weeks ago and my polygraph is next Thursday. Also I have my written test for the psych eval. After that is medical eval.

Can I get some advice on both processes. What exactly are they looking for on both parts?

Written test/ Psych eval

Poly

Medical

What should I be expecting for these?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM

The psychological written is usually the MMPI psych exam. You can look it up online and find lots of info on it. The psych interview is a general sit down with a psych. Its their job to determine if you are fit for law enforcement. They are going to ask you about all aspects of your life history from when you were a small child to your curent relationships and how you deal with stress. The poly is what is DQing lots of folks. I have said it before, as long as you were honest in the PHS, you will most likely be fine. If you left stuff out in the phs, the poly will catch it and thatt is why folks are getting dropped. The medical is just a standard medicalexam. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM

On a side note, good luck to the 32 folks that were hired and are starting training this friday. I know at least three of you are on this board. You have a tough academy to get through, but with commitment, persistence and dedication, you can make it to graduation day. Good luck.

Last edited by CaptMike; 10-09-2013 at 11:27 AM..
Old 10-09-2013, 6:39 PM

Greetings everyone, I wish I found this forum back in February. It would have given me some peace of mind. Like many others here, I applied for DPO I back on Valentine's Day. During the wait I also applied for DSO just to be safe.

I am one of the lucky few to have been hired so far and will start with the upcoming class on Friday the 11th.

I want to thank LtMike70 for being so kind & helpful with everyone here.

I went through the same waiting & wondering. I have friends & family in the brotherhood of law enforcement. They all told me to be patient and understand it is a waiting game. But not knowing anyone else going through the struggle at the same time made the wait all the more difficult.

I believe I took the physical and psychological exam at the same time as another poster on here. I wish we had been able to connect.

I have to admit to being a bit anxious and nervous about the academy. I hope it goes well for all of us. I want to wish the best of luck to all the other people here who have applied and are waiting. Hopefully many of you will make the next class in December.

Last edited by Easy_Rawlins; 10-09-2013 at 6:41 PM..
Old 10-10-2013, 7:32 PM

Got my interview results back about 2 weeks ago 96.5...
Band 1...
Who else has been recently banded?
Old 10-13-2013, 2:30 PM

Great job, 1971. Keep us posted on your progress. I sent you a PM.

LtMike70, if you see this, I sent you a PM as well. I was hoping you could respond. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2013, 8:03 PM

Rawlins. Pm replied
Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Nice. Good luck to everyone. I have both parts of my psych eval, polygraph, and medical eval scheduled between October 15th-23rd. Is anyone else around this part of the process? Wish you and anyone else going through the process the best. Let me know.
Old 10-14-2013, 5:36 PM

That sounds good, when did you apply? I applied in February and got my banding letter in March and haven't heard anything since. I placed in band 1 and Now I am just waiting.
Old 10-14-2013, 5:42 PM

Hello LtMike70
I have a two part question. The first is about the government shut down and if it has any impact on the departments ability to hire. The second question I have is do you know who I can contact to obtain the status of my application. Thank you for your help and time once again.
Old 10-14-2013, 5:53 PM

Applied in feb. Got my score in April. Turned in my background packet in sept. Poly psych eval and medical eval in oct. It was a very long nervous process for me as well. I now fully know patience is the answer. If lt mike said only 32 have been hired and they are hiring in the range of 200 POs then I think our chances are pretty high in band 1.

@cora2cord. Just be honest in your background. Let them tell you no. Don't dq yourself by lying.