Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-07-2013, 3:46 PM

Default LEOs & Neighbor Relations

I was curious as a reasonably new LEO (just over 1 year on the job), how many of your neighbors know that you're an LEO?

The background for this question:

I don't live in the nicest of towns, and in that town I don't live in the nicest of neighborhoods. It's fine for the most part, but there is a lot of transient foot traffic and a few neighbors I suspect don't make their ends meet by legal employment. Since moving into the neighborhood, even before starting my career in LE, I've kept to myself, but afterwards I took special care in not advertising my chosen profression.

While heading out on some field work today (I'm a P.O. and was out doing home visits) I realised I left my cuff keys at my house that morning. There was no extra in the car so I had to run past my place and get them. I ran inside, snagged them and left hoping no one would see me in my field uniform. I got all the way to the car and then my neighbor called out to me and said hi and waved, but he had an "Oh sh*t!" look on his face. He's a guy who I know uses marijuana and there is a lot of traffic that comes and goes from his house, but he and his wife are quiet overall and they've always been friendly to me. My hope is that now that they know I work in LE, it isn't going to make things difficult at home.
Old 10-07-2013, 4:51 PM

Never tell your neighbors you're LE if you can help it, regardless of how nice/not nice of a town you live in, it just causes nothing but problems.

On a serious side note, you should probably look into moving since you've already been burned.
Old 10-07-2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVines View Post
Never tell your neighbors you're LE if you can help it, regardless of how nice/not nice of a town you live in, it just causes nothing but problems.

On a serious side note, you should probably look into moving since you've already been burned.
As it turns out I have been waiting for a call back as to whether or not I got a spot in a very nice gated apartment complex. Really want them to hurry up and call now.
Old 10-07-2013, 5:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You have to live with the knowledge that eventually your neighbors will know what you do. It is best to keep it on the way down low.

Some happened to me, some happened to people I worked with:

Asking to sign off fix it tickets

Asking for legal advice and grumbling about the citation either they or their friend got

When there is a problem warranting a call to law enforcement, the neighbors show up at your door

Asking you to run the license plate of a vehicle they saw in the area

Asking you to check the criminal record of somebody they know

Then there are the incessant donut jokes - Thinking they are the first ones who ever did that

They think it's funny to call you Barney - Thinking they are the first ones who ever did that

They think it's funny to assume a wall search position when they see you - Thinking they are the first ones who ever did that

They think it's funny to accuse you of being corrupt and on the take - Thinking they are the first ones who ever did that

Be ready to be accosted by a barrage of "what if" questions. With each "what if" they bend the question to hear an outcome they want.

The list will go on and on and when you don't do what they ask you, they get angry with you. Be ready to get the same if not worse treatment from your relatives.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org

Last edited by diverwcw; 10-07-2013 at 6:16 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 6:15 PM

I live 6 miles from my district.
The patrol car in my driveway when I come home to eat is hard to miss.
Never been a problem.
Old 10-07-2013, 6:21 PM

BURNED is a BIG WORD..WHAT WOULD That MEAN? and WHAT WOULD SOMEONE WITH IT DO?Lived Next to a (Retired) Sargent in Porter Ranch I say,s Hi He say's Hi all is well. LEO's in and out all day. Live Behind one now in the Valley, I say's Hi He say's Hi all is well.. No Harm No Foul..LEO's in and out all day..

Last edited by Clever; 10-07-2013 at 6:27 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 7:32 PM

It really all depends, so there's no "one size fits all". I know one Officer who told some gang bangers that live on the same block he holds them personally responsible if anything happens to his house--regardless of who does it. I know another Officer who keeps a low profile but whose neighbors know what he does, and they haven't asked him anything LE related.
Old 10-07-2013, 7:41 PM

I says Hi. LEO,s all day.. Its all good
Old 10-07-2013, 7:43 PM

My neighbors are all quiet about it. No questions, no hassling, no drama. Most of them are ex military. None of them are "questionable" people. I'm pretty lucky. The worst I've ever got was a neighbor asking for gun advice....nothing wrong with that. I can imagine other people's situations are very different though.
Old 10-07-2013, 8:06 PM

I think it totally depends on the area you live in. The OP lives in a sketchy neighborhood so I think he is absolutely right in being cautious. For those who live in a nice neighborhood then it isn't as big a deal.

My opinion is to keep things close to the vest for a variety of reasons but one of my concerns is that people assume law enforcement has guns in the house and could become a target of burglaries to get said guns. This could be more likely in not so good neighborhoods but could be an issue even in nicer areas with idiot juveniles or some parolee who moved in with grandma next door.
Old 10-07-2013, 8:09 PM

Default LEOs & Neighbor Relations Reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryang View Post
It really all depends, so there's no "one size fits all". I know one Officer who told some gang bangers that live on the same block he holds them personally responsible if anything happens to his house--regardless of who does it. I know another Officer who keeps a low profile but whose neighbors know what he does, and they haven't asked him anything LE related.
You are right, as a young man (NO BANGER) in L.A. I have had my share.. Even been warned by a Certain LEO that"He owned this street!!" Happens I GUESS..
Old 10-07-2013, 8:58 PM

My next door neighbor works for the FCSO and is a great guy. I've even bought him ammo when the shortage was at its peak. We BBQ together & I consider him a good friend. He occassionally tells me a funny story about the job but he's pretty much just a normal guy like me. I'm very happy he's my neighbor.
Old 10-07-2013, 9:20 PM

My cousin is a Secret Service officer. Protects the Governer.
Old 10-07-2013, 9:23 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever View Post
My cousin is a Secret Service officer. Protects the Governer.
Doesn't chp protect the governor?
Old 10-07-2013, 9:26 PM

Ye sir, that is the route he took. They are CHP officers before the step forward
Old 10-07-2013, 9:27 PM
Lurker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Xxccx

"Saying we don't need guns because we have cops is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firefighters"

"My lemonade stand was robbed once by two thieves. I shot them both. No more robberies."

"Went to the Giants game yesterday. For opsec reasons I said I was going next week. Can never be to careful."
Old 10-07-2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhoppa View Post
Xxccx
???
Old 10-07-2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Ye sir, that is the route he took. They are CHP officers before the step forward
what? The governor is protected by members of CHP's Protective Services Division.

To the OP, it's a mixed bag. Would I prefer that no one except for neighbor/friends/family that I explicitly trust knew I was a LEO? Of course! For that reason I take great pains to not be seen in/around my house with duty gear/marked units/etc. That being said, I think that by now all of my immediate neighbors know I am a LEO. They are all, however, fantastic neighbors. Some have family in the business and are particularly understanding; the rest are just good ol' Americans. I understand I am in a somewhat unique situation by having ALL good neighbors, but I personally find it important to get to know my neighbors a little bit. We all watch out for each other, eat food together now and then, etc. I know when I leave town that if an "undesirable" were to start creeping around my property my neighbors would call both myself and the local law enforcement in a heartbeat. And I'd do the same for them.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Definitely depends on the neighborhood. Once I got to know the neighbors, I felt comfortable taking the patrol car home for Code 7. When I first moved in and the neighbors asked what type of work I did, I just told them that I worked for a local government in the compliance department.

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Um, if he protects the Governor, he's still CHP. If he thinks he's Secret Service, he's delusional

"Holy Crud, nothing seems to change on CalGuns.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
FPC Supporter
Old 10-08-2013, 7:48 AM
Calguns Addict

My neighbors all know. If I had not told them, the BI knocking on their doors would have clued them in. But, I live in a great neighborhood. Starting across the street and going around the cul de sac back to the cross street, I have a LT in the same agency, a retired Master Chief, a retired Sergeant First Class, a pair of teachers at a catholic school, active Navy, new people I dont know that well yet, me, an EMT, more active navy, and a retired Master Gunnery Sergeant.

I dont feel like I have to worry too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 10-08-2013, 7:51 AM

My next door neighbor is a retired deputy (34 years on the job), 2 houses down from that lives a current deputy and down the street is the head mechanic in the area for the CHP (Probably net technically LEO, but involved in LE) and I personally don't ever ask those kinds of favors or anything from them. We talk, shoot the breeze or what not but that's about it. I really think it depends on who lives next door versus the pure and simple fact that you are LE. I am in the hiring process for an LE job and if I get in, I don't plan on advertising but I don't plan on concealing it too much, either.
Old 10-08-2013, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Um, if he protects the Governor, he's still CHP. If he thinks he's Secret Service, he's delusional
If they're working protection for Brown, they're CHP Officers.

I live in a nice, quiet neighborhood. My immediate neighbors to either side know, as well as the two immediately across the street. I try to keep positive relations with all of them (They're all good peeps).

My neighbor 5 houses up is a LEO as well.

I have driven the patrol car home several times for a quick lunch or just to see the wifey/ kiddos. My 5 year old always makes me turn on the Code 3 lights

I otherwise try to maintain a low profile, if that makes sense.

It all depends on your surroundings I guess. I did make it a point to get to know my neighbors as soon as I moved in.

YMMV
Old 10-08-2013, 8:13 AM

My neighbors think I am probably on welfare or grow weed. My crazy old Israeli neighbor knows, but we have known each other a long time. I just don't bring it up when socializing with them and change my clothing at work.

Still alive, still fight.
Old 10-08-2013, 8:14 AM

I too live in a sketchy neighborhood and I try to keep my profession to myself. I live around some of my clients, its not easy. I've been seen by a former inmate in front of my home, that wasn't fun. Most of my neighbors are OK with a few exceptions. I've been questioned by couple of nosy neighbors because I leave for work when its dark and come home when they leave for work. Move when you can, if you can.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchur6 View Post
I too live in a sketchy neighborhood and I try to keep my profession to myself. I live around some of my clients, its not easy. I've been seen by a former inmate in front of my home, that wasn't fun. Most of my neighbors are OK with a few exceptions. I've been questioned by couple of nosy neighbors because I leave for work when its dark and come home when they leave for work. Move when you can, if you can.
My first run in outside of work with one of the offenders I supervised was right in front of my house, he was driving one way, and I was driving the other. He saw me and waved, I waved back, and instead of turning into my drive way, I kept driving.

Next time I had a visit with him he asked if I lived in the area. I told him I was on my way to Target.
Old 10-08-2013, 9:54 PM

I had to go around and introduce myself to all my immediate neighbors and list them in my background packet. They all eventually got a visit and some questions about whether I ever fight with my wife or if I am visibly drunk or loud at night,etc.