Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Ventura Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Default AR-15 front sight gas block **gunsmith needed**

Ok, so my second AR was finished today, but I've got an issue that is making me uncomfortable and I have not even shot it yet.

My barrel is stripped, meaning it's just the barrel and nothing else. Purchased from a local shop. I bought a fixed A2 style front sight gas block from Bravo Company.

I knew it was not drilled and reamed for taper pins. Without going into too much detail, I need a gunsmith.

Why? I need someone to drill and ream the front sight gas block on the barrel.

Can anyone do this locally? I know it requires skill and machinery. If so, who? Where? How much would this cost?

Notes: I'm not wanting a quad rail with a flip up sight or any of that jazz. Also, I don't like the clamp on blocks first because they are all over $100 and because all the versions I've seen have folding sights, not fixed A2 style.
Old 09-17-2013, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

Nevermind. I brought my upper to McBride Tactical GunWorks in Oxnard.

Mike, the owner, offered to do the work and I took him up on his offer immediately. His asking price was also well below what I was expecting and I can't wait to pick it up.
Old 09-18-2013, 4:37 AM

For future reference, my boss has used Griswald Brothers (http://www.griswoldbrosgunsmithing.com/) and had nothing but good things to say about them. But it sounds like you already got your issue resolved at McBride.

Its nice that Ventura seems to have a very solid crop of area talent, and we haven't yet run them all out of town with recockulous laws governing their business at the county/city level. I hope we can keep it that way!
Old 10-04-2013, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Update; Picked up my barrel assembly today. All is good to go with McBride. Quality work.

Last edited by TacticalPlinker; 10-06-2013 at 3:53 PM..