Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default So when did the DRIVERS rules change? (stop error D1 RANT here)

SO about a couple of months ago I loaded up my New G210 card in my main system to replace a dieing ATI Radeon that I had previously installed.

It fixed the issues and lockups and but it is a slower card. (I knew it was gonna be slow, I just did not think it would be THIS slow).

I finally decided to load up the drivers for it hoping that it would speed it up a bit (which it did) BUT, durring the process I grabbed the NVIDIA 320.49 DISPLAY drivers (please pay attention to the word DISPLAY). This was about a week or so after installing the new card.

Durring the LOADING of the drivers I saw that it wanted to load up some HD Audio drivers. But this was for a DISPLAY card, not a SOUND card and my SOUND drivers were FINE. So I told it NO. JUST load the DISPLAY drivers...

So now all the BS starts. Upon rebooting after loading the drivers, I start getting messages of the system finding new HD Audio devices and it wants to load the drivers... (MOTHER****ER...) What the hell do you NOT understand about DISPLAY ONLY drivers? SO, I figure that I can be more stubborn then the computer if I want to be so I decided to hit CANCEL all 4 times it wanted to install the drivers. I am NOT going to let it install HD drivers for something that I did not add and I had no intention on upgrading drivers because my sound was functioning FINE.

So I guess Windows XP decided to scheme on how it would prod me in the right direction to load the drivers, and this is what it did.

Shortly after changing my DNS the other night I left the comp and came back to a BSOD. It listed NO files, but the irql_not_equal_or_greater and it was a STOP D1 error.

I hit reset.

Come back shortly and get online, EACH time refusing to install the drivers again, about another hour or so and BSOD while I am online reading stuff.

So this goes on and I ALMOST posted "how can changing my DNS cause me to start BSOD all of a sudden." But I thought, okay, let's look into what this is about, it WAS a STOP D1 yet again. In fact, ALL stops errors were the same cause, and all were STOP D1 errors.

SO, I looked it up and found a TGIS.SYS or something file that was the root cause of a lot of these stop errors upon bootup.- EVEN though none of my STOP D1 errors listed any filenames. (just wanted to protect them I guess and remain anonymous).

I looked into that and found two utilz from MS that will yank the SYS file OUT of your system and make it more stable I guess. I grabbed them both but refrained from using them. I waited, about 3 hours later I come back inside and I am looking at another BSOD so I reboot and cancel the driver installs upon booting up into windows XP again and then I try to run the 32 bit version of the util I downloaded and it tells me it is not a valid 32 bit executable... Same with the 64 bit version.

I am now pissed.

SO, I do a little more searching and find that all of these STOP D1 errors are typically hardware or driver related. I am about to run my memtest and then I decide, LET'S stop and see if these damn HD drivers are the issue because I do NOT want to know if my hardware is failing. SO I reboot in safe mode and let the comp idle for about 6 hours, NO BSOD. Then I reboot, go hunt down the EXE file for the driver setup and run it. Now for the past 12 hours NO more BSOD...

WTFE. This is SUCH a dog and pony show of BS. I mean really, Everything was FINE until you (the computer) were told that I did not want to load up any drivers, so then you have an issue and throw a fit and ***** and moan until you get your way...

Anyways, moral of the story, I dunno if there is any moral, I am just pissed that I had to give in and load drivers for something that was working FINE but windows had issues and demanded those drivers even though they were in a VIDEO card package and not for my MOBO...

I swear to GAWD that Linux based VMware is going to get on this hardware sooner then you think...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 09-29-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Kill it with fire!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Does your 210 have an hdmi output like mine? This may be why it's trying to load audio drivers. Why not disable this cards audio ability in device manager?
Old 09-29-2013, 1:00 PM

I feel for you. I've told my PC a zillion times I DO NOT WANT Internet Explorer 10 (Win 7). Boot up and it loads. Delete it. Boot up, it loads. Repeat.

I now have IE 10 that's dead dog slow and renders as slow--if it decides to display at all. (Yes, I also use FF, and Chrome...but certain things require I.E)

NVidia will not update my drivers because it says my password is out of date, yet it won't up date the password, nor let me assign another.

Good luck---

Respectfully
Kyle
Old 09-29-2013, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

The reason that it's trying to load audio drivers is because modern video cards are also audio output devices via HDMI, genius. Been this way for a LONG time now.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 09-29-2013, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Lol...

Brevity, brevity.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 09-29-2013, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc1979 View Post
Does your 210 have an hdmi output like mine? This may be why it's trying to load audio drivers. Why not disable this cards audio ability in device manager?
Hdmi is that little connector that looks like a cross between firewire and usb correct? The connector that can carry power/ethernet/sound/video- essentially high definition multimedia interface correct? Don't have that.

Mine has two outputs.

One is VGA, the other is I believe DVI. I do not know of any audio at all, it is like a $35 card. Nothing fancy. I was expecting to be given crap for even loading it up. I do not know why there would be an onboard hdmi header either.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that a long time ago once you told windows NO a time or two it would remember that and stop trying to load drivers.

Now I have 15 things in my Audio section of the device manager. Thank gawd for the irq steering and sharing...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 09-29-2013 at 3:51 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
The reason that it's trying to load audio drivers is because modern video cards are also audio output devices via HDMI, genius. Been this way for a LONG time now.
You may have me here.

Hold on a second, I will be right back with a photo...

Old 09-29-2013, 5:06 PM

Stilly the HDMI drivers are for the HDMI video output. I had the same problem and found out 2 things. That Video card will not work with win2000 and with XP it refuses its own HDMI drivers. I have the drivers that work for the G210 on XP. If you like and if you are local I can let you copy off of my USB Drive. Let me know. I'll look for them.
Archie
818-292-6204

Last edited by Clever; 09-29-2013 at 5:09 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Hdmi is that little connector that looks like a cross between firewire and usb correct? The connector that can carry power/ethernet/sound/video- essentially high definition multimedia interface correct? Don't have that.

Mine has two outputs.

One is VGA, the other is I believe DVI. I do not know of any audio at all, it is like a $35 card. Nothing fancy. I was expecting to be given crap for even loading it up. I do not know why there would be an onboard hdmi header either.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that a long time ago once you told windows NO a time or two it would remember that and stop trying to load drivers.

Now I have 15 things in my Audio section of the device manager. Thank gawd for the irq steering and sharing...
Quote:
You may have me here.

Hold on a second, I will be right back with a photo...

Yes, I do have you here. DVI ports can output audio as well.

If you've got a DVI port, then you might as well have HDMI, and the card probably even came with a DVI to HDMI converter thingy. Hell, my video cards are from 2008 and have 2 DVI ports apiece. They came with 2x DVI-HDMI converters and 2x DVI-VGA converters.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Old 09-29-2013, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll just leave this here:

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 09-29-2013, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
Yes, I do have you here. DVI ports can output audio as well.

If you've got a DVI port, then you might as well have HDMI, and the card probably even came with a DVI to HDMI converter thingy. Hell, my video cards are from 2008 and have 2 DVI ports apiece. They came with 2x DVI-HDMI converters and 2x DVI-VGA converters.
Well if the DVI can do audio then so be it. Well played sir.

My card was a cheap card. HAH! I bet I have you there! My card is cheaper then anything you ever owned.

Not that I am bragging or anything, But this card came with NO adapters and I have never seen any cards that have come with vga/dvi to hdmi adapters. I am sure when I purchase an Evga 900 series it might come with an adapter. But these cheap cards that I keep on hand for backups are only supposed to be temp cards and not very expensive. I NEVER knew that DVI cards did audio. I have not noticed that as a selling point on any of the cards that I purchase. Of course most of the time the cards that I purchase I try to get with VGA outputs so maybe that is why.

:flickcig:

Okay, guns back in the holsters, let's all go back to having our drink...

Old 09-29-2013, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

One on top is DVI-HDMI, one on bottom is DVI-VGA.

Old 09-29-2013, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I never had a monitor that had DVI in so I never needed to use DVI PERIOD. Therefore I have never known that it can do audio.

Do you REALLY get audio out of that though or is it just IN CASE they decide to do it? Hmmm. This will have grave ripple effects on my future purchases now...

Forget my photo. I do not see a need to yank out the card and show there is no HDMI on it when there is a DVI on it. LoL. Learn something new every day...

Man, I aint had a revelation like this since that day I found out they had small and large pistol primers in .45 acp shells...

This whole world is going to hell...

What is next? A ****ing native exchange server built into networking cards?

Old 09-29-2013, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I never had a monitor that had DVI in so I never needed to use DVI PERIOD. Therefore I have never known that it can do audio.

Do you REALLY get audio out of that though or is it just IN CASE they decide to do it? Hmmm. This will have grave ripple effects on my future purchases now...

Forget my photo. I do not see a need to yank out the card and show there is no HDMI on it when there is a DVI on it. LoL. Learn something new every day...

Man, I aint had a revelation like this since that day I found out they had small and large pistol primers in .45 acp shells...

This whole world is going to hell...

What is next? A ****ing native exchange server built into networking cards?

You use something like this primarily when you're using an HDTV for a monitor. Works great when you want to play games in 1080p on the 62" in the living room.

That said, the DVI cable in the above picture is going to my primary monitor, which is a 22" Acer and has VGA / DVI / HDMI inputs.

Anyway, yeah, let your computer install whatever drivers it thinks it needs. Chances are good it knows why it wants to install them.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, just recovered from another D1 error and then right after that a 8E error, SO, gonna test RAM now...

I got a new mobo + cpu last night at microcenter cause they were on sale. I wanted a backup for this 939 so we will see what happens.

Old 09-30-2013, 2:28 PM

Stilly,

The G210 hardware has HDMI capabilities, the vendor you chose just decided that the HDMI output was not necessary. You might....MIGHT.... be able to go into hardware manager and disable the card as an audio device. But more than likely you should go in, UNINSTAL AND ERASE the old drivers, then download the driver package from Nvidia and install.
Old 10-03-2013, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMW View Post
Stilly,

The G210 hardware has HDMI capabilities, the vendor you chose just decided that the HDMI output was not necessary. You might....MIGHT.... be able to go into hardware manager and disable the card as an audio device. But more than likely you should go in, UNINSTAL AND ERASE the old drivers, then download the driver package from Nvidia and install.

I realized after coming here that it probably looks bad that a guy *****ing about not being able to get a tech job makes a post about his computer and is *****ing that the damn thing keeps BSODDING on him.

I just want everyone to know that behind the scenes I was observing and making notes on what was happening and trying to make a decision on my best way to proceed.

:flickcig: Cause this is what I do, but can't a guy come here and ***** about technology too?

SO. With that said. I am NOW educated about DVI/HDMI. Thank you and I THINK I have finally stopped these damn BSODS that NOW started to get random. Actually, I am expecting ONE more BSOD before I have to reboot and flush the entire system out with the new settings.

Yes Robert. I have NOW disabled the audio and here is why:

After getting tired of the D1 Stop errors I decided to go BACK to the drivers and tell them to REINSTALL and make it a CLEAN installation.

I do not know how clean it was since the operation ended in a NEW two line BSOD. But when I rebooted all drivers were installed again but the errors persisted. So I decided to locate the little *****es in device manager and DISABLE all four items. I stayed off calguns so that I could watch how it behaved as I scanned my ram with MEMtest since the last few errors ended up being not only D1, but 8E and 7F (random errors? check ram...)

Ram tested fine for 14 hours so I decided to go back and take care of the drivers. I THINK I am back now and all is well. This battleship of mine is still going but in the process I ran into another problem on my game system.

I clicked on a link and got hit with the ICE infection. The one that locks up your screen and tells you that you have 48 hours to pay them $300 before they send men in black to lock you up?

I just want to say, If I ever find you little ****ers I will personally kick your asses AND then take back my $900...

j/k.

I found that after scaring my neighbor (who was outside pulling weeds) into looking up at the window from all the screaming she heard that booting with Hiren's boot cd 15.2 to personally hunt down the files that were starting and blocking me and ripping them out with my bare fingers on keys was very satisfying. Then with the built in malware I ran it cleaned up the rest.

The only thing left was now my comp opens and there is NO explorer shell, but instead a CMD box with a black screen and I have to type EXPLORER.exe in order to get to my desktop shell.

I THINK I fixed that by locating in the registry a dword named SHELL and making it go from cmd (to activate their random lettered file) to explorer.exe.
Yeah. Game system is fixed...

All is well and I think this story MIGHT have a happy ending. I have been on here typing for the past 2 hours and no BSOD yet. I THINK this is finally done and over with.

:flickcig:

In the meantime I have started to rebuild my multimedia system after running into roadblock after roadblock I think I am on the right track. Maybe that will get posted in another thread.

Dammit. Another BSOD and then they just kept coming. I THINK I might have found some better drivers, in the meantime though I am now running my 285GTX... Damn card.