Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-28-2013, 5:06 PM

Default Ocsd oral board

Hey guys I am scheduled for an oral board with Orange County sheriffs department and was wondering if you of you guys had any advice for me.

This will be my first oral board and I want to be prepared. I have some of the basic stuff down like know about the department, know why you want to work there, and the generic stuff.

Any little tips from any of yu guys especially any actual oc deputies will be greatly appreciated
Old 09-28-2013, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

I went to their oral board two years before I got picked up by RSO.
They will ask you to tell them about yourself first.
2) What have you done to prepare yourself to become a DST or make it through the academy.
3) What can you do/offer for the department.
4) Scenario questions

Good luck, OCSD very professional department and they do not mess around during their oral board process. Dress nice and do not talk with other applicants or play with your phone.

Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 09-28-2013 at 5:18 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Thank you, what was the scenario question if you don't mind me asking? Also as far as offering the department are they looking for a certain answer or anything like that?
Old 09-29-2013, 12:38 PM

Also they will let me leave a closing remark anything special I should say then?
Old 09-29-2013, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I cannot give you details on scenario, but all I could say is be honest and try to answer from your own understanding and experience.

Closing remark: Something to aviod
*Do not ask what type of gun am I going to get issue.
*How long is the academy.
*What type of insurance and retirement plan does department offer.

Just be honest, humble, and look sharp.
Old 09-29-2013, 9:40 PM

I'm not LE, I hope I don't step on any toes by chiming in. I'm in your shoes, study the department and think of ways to highlight your strengths and how they will benefit the agency. Use that thing between your ears to your advantage while being humble, and genuine aka avoid canned responses to scenarios.

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing to have sat through quite a few panels but I have and I see more in my future those points have yielded me the best results so far. No job, but good scores and motivation to continue.
Old 09-29-2013, 9:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Been seven years since I have taken OB's with them. They were the first Dept. I tested with. I was dropped from backgrounds because I had a few things in collections (rightfully so) that totaled a small amount of money. They told me I would likely take money from inmates for favors because of it. I found it funny Corona was indited for embezzlement not too long after.

There are no tricks, it's very straight forward. Like BoJack said, be careful what you say in the final statement, but make sure you say something...

Think of it this way... If you ace the rest and say nothing, you will only get a C+ on the test. Half the people there will ace the test but have no clue how to talk to people or sell themselves.
Old 10-02-2013, 1:29 PM

thanks for all the tips guys, im still stressing out about the final statement and what to say

also when they say tell us about yourself do you give a shortened life story or mainly qualities about yourself? like im a motivated person...etc and what can i offer the department. i can say the generic stuff like hard work and motivation but are they looking for something else besides that? im sure that will be the answer everyone will give on what they can offer.

Last edited by xmikex; 10-02-2013 at 1:35 PM..
Old 10-02-2013, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikex View Post
thanks for all the tips guys, im still stressing out about the final statement and what to say

also when they say tell us about yourself do you give a shortened life story or mainly qualities about yourself? like im a motivated person...etc and what can i offer the department. i can say the generic stuff like hard work and motivation but are they looking for something else besides that? im sure that will be the answer everyone will give on what they can offer.
Tell us about yourself part:
*Do not start telling your baby stories and stuff.
*Start from after you got out from high school.

For example, after graduating from high school I joined Marine Corps and I have learned this and that.....

You can always ask this as your final question. What type of applicant is OCSD looking for and what can I do to meet that standard in order to have successful career with OCSD.

Good luck
Old 10-02-2013, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikex View Post
A closing is good, but don't memorize it. Make a quick list of bullet points and rehearse it, out loud, in the mirror, paying attention to your facial expressions. It will come out different every time, but it will sound genuine and be no more than 1 minute long. Trust me, that's a lot of time.
A basic bullet outline could be:
Team player
Balance (task oriented vs people oriented) Getting along and team building and don't leave your family, education and community inovlvement out
Loyalty positive attitude, ethical, willing to do the right thing
Accountable Give examples of past accountability
Thank them for their time

Good luck
Old 10-02-2013, 2:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Scenario questions could be anything from what would you do if you saw your partner steal some candy bars at a store to witnessing an obvious excessive force situation. What would you do if you saw your partner engaging in criminal conduct. How far would you go with a vehicle pursuit?

They might ask you which call you would respond to first: vehicle theft in progress, drowning child, armed robbery in progress.

If they ask you the cornball question of naming one of your weaknesses, don't tell them you are a workaholic.

Best of luck!

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 10-13-2013, 2:54 PM

Thank you guys for all the help, I passed my oral. Moving onto backgrounds.
Old 10-13-2013, 3:49 PM

Congrats!

As soon as they give you the academy study guide learn everything in there. YES I mean everything. The academy is demanding and if you know your speeches/memorization it will help you and your class. Last thing you want to be is a truck.
Old 10-13-2013, 4:01 PM

Thank you sir, what ever information they are going to give me I'll be sure to memorize it. I have already started with some of the basic stuff like the alphabet, and the ten codes and other radio codes.
Old 10-13-2013, 6:59 PM

Congrats on the next step.

Are you running and PT-ing yet? If you show up Day 1 being in "better" shape, it's one less thing to worry about. You'll still get your tail smoked but it won't be as bad.

If you haven't been through it yet Santa Ana College offers a prep class specifically for OCSA (TAP). It would be 16 hours well spent.
Old 10-13-2013, 7:28 PM

I run regularly and play hockey and Brazilian jiu-jitsu and crossfit when I have time. I feel like i should run more but I comfortably run 2/3 miles on the street.

I wish I could get out there but it would be hard I live about an hour and twenty mins away from OC. I am going to try and make it out there at least once or twice.

At certain workouts I should specifically look into? I know I'll have to do a lot of push-ups in the academy and I don't struggle with them unless I max out and towards the end my arms get baby deer legged
Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 PM

Ill say this, TAPs is essential. I cant imagine not going. Not only does it help you it will help the class. An hour and twenty minutes is nothing with the knowledge gained and the career ahead.
Old 10-14-2013, 3:08 PM

With respect to working out, the PT testing is not the issue. It's the 400+ of each push-ups, squat thrusts, mountain climbers and sit-ups you'll do thorughout the day/every day before you get to PT. My class got to the weight room less than 5 times in 26 weeks and there were no tests or evals on lifts. So save the iron for after the academy.

Your workouts need to prep for the high volume body weight work and running. The nice thing about that is you can do it on your own for the price of running shoes. But any regular workout program along these lines will be good. Since you already Crossfit, you may hit up your coaches for some advice. They may have you go with a CF Endurance program.

Running: if you can hit Day 1 being able to do 3 miles on the road at a 9min/mi pace, you're on the right track. I don't think we ran more than an 8 miler. Keep in mind: the runs are in formation at some one else's pace, you'll be setting road guards and singing cadence. Very different than just heading out the door for a morning run.

PM if you have any questions.