Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Default ticket in another country.

In Mexico, I know the police will take you to the station to pay the citation ( or take a bribe). I. Was wondering how do we handle foreginers here?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Calguns Addict

We write the ticket just like anyone else. They either pay the fine, or they don't.

I rarely wrote tourists. A permanent resident, that's different.

Most tourists don't need a ticket. They are nervous enough when driving here anyways. Our traffic and signs confuse them, since we don't use true international signs.

When I've driven in England & Scotland, I was often confused about the various signs. When I didn't know, I applied common sense and roadside courtesy to other drivers. I always received the same back, and I'm sure I committed some minor traffic infractions.

The parking signs in the UK and road markings are very confusing. Almost every time I parked my car, I would ask someone if it was legal to park there. I've done pretty well so far.

"Holy Crud, nothing seems to change on CalGuns.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
FPC Supporter
Old 09-27-2013, 2:12 AM
Calguns Addict

I have been fortunate to not have to drive in any left lane country's yet. Spain, Italy, Greece and here in Bahrain are all right drive countries. That being said, I hate driving here. People are nuts. I got rear ended (hold the laughs) and the guy just drove off. I asked about it, and got told "Oh yeah, thats normal". I am just glad there was no damage and it is a rental.

That being said, I, like Ron, am sure I have committed some infractions over here. They just dont bat an eye. I try to be the same way with people at home, tourists or not. I write very few tickets......do lots of warnings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 09-27-2013, 5:51 AM

I've stopped my share of visitors.... Illegals... scratch them every time under whatever name they gave me that day. Visitors with "papers", unless it was a DUI or the likes, let em go with some curbside driving education.
Old 09-27-2013, 6:16 AM
Veteran Member

All of the above. I find it amusing, though, very often the legitimate foreign tourists, after being stopped, ask if the can take a picture of me and my patrol car. Anyone else experience that? Not sure why there is such a fascination of American law enforcement, but hey, all in a days work.
Old 09-27-2013, 7:17 AM

Irish Joe, the fascination with American law enforcement comes from it being the one they mostly see on TV and movies. In Latin America and Europe over half the TV and movies they watch are American shows. e.g. for a French person an Spanish police officer is not very interesting, but I can see why they would want a picture of a real American LEO.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah that would make sense.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Joe, you should ave been pushing a black and white in the LA area during the Olympics in 84. More Kodak moments than you can sake a PR-24 at, especially when working Olympic events.

Smile and wave, boys, smile and wave.....

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
FPC Supporter
Old 09-27-2013, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

All of the "foreigners" I wrote were illegal. They usually had no ID, or fake ID. They got written and their car got towed. If available and I had time, I would have BP pick them up. I have heard with the new administration, BP is not so cooperative anymore.
Old 09-27-2013, 1:36 PM

Default Driving in Northern Ireland

While I cannot offer an opinion on what it is like to perform a vehicle stop on someone I thought I'd share the story of being stopped!

To put it in perspective, I'm Northern Irish but live in San Diego and have resided in California for over 15 years.

I was back home driving a car rented in Southern Ireland (different Country) and stopped in Northern Ireland for excessive speed (a legit stop & different country to where I rented the car) while driving on my CA license (entirely different continent).

Now for those of you that know what the PSNI are (Police Service for Northern Ireland are not well known for their sense of humor) you will know they are a very paramilitary style police force. They wear BDU's, some type of 'over the clothes' anti stab bullet resistant vest and many carry either an Mp5 or a HK G36. They are intimidating but very professional and I personally have never had issue with them or their actions.

Anyway, the officer approaches my car, "Are you having trouble taking off squadron leader"? I sit in stunned silence trying to figure out if I actually heard him right, while trying to contain what was surely the largest grin I have ever had.

I produce and tax book (same as registration) and I explained it was a rental, produced my CA DL and that's when it got interesting. As I was back home, my accent had/was returning and as far as Police Constable Weaver (yep, remembered his name) was concerned I was Northern Irish (correct) and that I needed a Northern Irish/UK license to operate that car (incorrect) and that should I fail to produce one sharpish then he would take me for a ride in his armored land rover. He returns to his vehicle, has a brief meeting with his colleagues and walks straight up to my car leans in and says "there are no low flying aircraft allowed on this road" Well, I couldn't contain myself any longer and I started laughing as did the officer. Turns out that they had a good sense of humor and were having a little fun at my expense and knowing a little of what the thin blue line represents I had no issues with their casual nature. No ticket, no fine, memorable experience and one that makes me proud to be from Belfast! Hope this made you all laugh, sorry for the length!

Slainte (Irish for Cheers)
Old 09-27-2013, 2:12 PM

I got a few when I lived in Europe. My wife drove me home when I was smashed one night and ran a red light. We got a ticket in the mail with a picture of me passed out in the passenger seat.

I also got 4 in Switzerland in a period of about 30 minutes from traffic cameras. 2 for driving 120+ K in a 30K zone and 2 for driving really slow in a 120K zone. 6 months later I got a 500 euro ticket in the mail. Not fun to pay.

We were also stopped at the border of Germany and detained while they searched our car for drugs for no reason. Tore the whole thing apart and sent us on our way. Didnt ask for consent or anything. Just told us they were searching and went on their business.
Old 09-27-2013, 2:47 PM

Other than illegals who usually get a ticket or taken to jail for driving with no ID, tourist and visiting (working) nationals create a problem because you can't use a foreign address as the courts will not mail their bail notice to another country. A passport or foreign license is useless for infractions as a means of identification because they are not in a database here.

If the violation is egregious or they are involved in a serious accident where they were at fault, I try to get a relative or work address for the cite. Their name and DOB should be enough to get them in the system if they FTA.

I work the Bay Area where few Americans reside nowadays and have many funny stops with foreigners, particularly Europeans where they drive like they are home. Italians are the funnest though as they try to become your best friend.
Old 09-27-2013, 3:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I inadvertently drove in a commercial zone in Eastern Europe. LE wrote the cite and I paid right then and there...something like 60 Euros...received a receipt for that amount with the cite. Don't know what would have happened if I didn't have the 60EU!
"The message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Old 09-29-2013, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro6golf View Post
I got a few when I lived in Europe. My wife drove me home when I was smashed one night and ran a red light. We got a ticket in the mail with a picture of me passed out in the passenger seat.

I also got 4 in Switzerland in a period of about 30 minutes from traffic cameras. 2 for driving 120+ K in a 30K zone and 2 for driving really slow in a 120K zone. 6 months later I got a 500 euro ticket in the mail. Not fun to pay.

We were also stopped at the border of Germany and detained while they searched our car for drugs for no reason. Tore the whole thing apart and sent us on our way. Didnt ask for consent or anything. Just told us they were searching and went on their business.
No reason is necessary when crossing an international border. They don't need your consent either.

FYI, you have no 4th Amendment rights outside of US territories.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
FPC Supporter