Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:04 AM

Default Trijicon TA01NSN vs Burris AR 332 Acog....worth the price difference?

Hello all I have been thinking about getting an acog for some time now. For so long I have had my eye on the Trijicon and from doing extensive research there is no bad side to the optic apart from the price. The Trijicon is $920 the Burris is $300. I began to search around for another cheaper version and came across the Burris. I know that the Trijicon is doubtlessly going to be a better optic but for civilian use, will the Burris be just as good? I have done a lot of research on the Burris and havent found any constant downside to it. If anyone here has seen or used a Burris first hand and could shed some light onto the two optics and if the Burris would be a good compromise I would be very grateful. I have links below with the two optics.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produc....php?pid=TA01B
http://www.burrisoptics.com/ar332.html

Cheers
Old 09-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I've used both before and I sold the ACOG because I had no need for such high end optics. I used the money I got from ACOG to put a fastfire on the Burris. The ACOG is definitely the nicer of the two with a wider FOV and clearer glass. For me it ultimately comes down to this, I do not need an ACOG on my range toy(s). The Burris combo does the job just fine at half the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You would probably do fine with the Burris, or maybe even the Primary Arms Acog type optic which is even cheaper.

What you will be missing out on
- amazingly clear glass
- absurdly robust construction
- battery free illumination (research this though, it has some downsides)

now do those differences justify the price difference?
Generally I would say so, but does that justify it for you is the bigger question?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
I've used both before and I sold the ACOG because I had no need for such high end optics. I used the money I got from ACOG to put a fastfire on the Burris. The ACOG is definitely the nicer of the two with a wider FOV and clearer glass. For me it ultimately comes down to this, I do not need an ACOG on my range toy(s). The Burris combo does the job just fine at half the price.
Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Do you by any chance have any pictures of the Burris with the fastfire attached to it? The Burris I have been looking at is the one with 3x magnification. I have seen a few more with 5x magnification. Still trying to decide which to go for. I am leaning away from the Trijicon now...the only reason being the price. If I had $1000 to burn on an optic by all means I would go ahead and get the Trijicon but alas my paycheck cant encompass equipment that expensive.
Old 09-15-2013, 2:43 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty View Post
If I had $1000 to burn on an optic by all means I would go ahead and get the Trijicon but alas my paycheck cant encompass equipment that expensive.
That said, what was the point of the thread?
Old 09-15-2013, 5:36 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I don't have a picture of it but check out this website. The advantage of that type of setup is you get a magnified and CQB optic all rolled into one. If you shop right it'll cost you about $500. To me this is the cheaper alternative to something like the Leupold HAMR or an ACOG with RMR

Quote:
Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Do you by any chance have any pictures of the Burris with the fastfire attached to it? The Burris I have been looking at is the one with 3x magnification. I have seen a few more with 5x magnification. Still trying to decide which to go for. I am leaning away from the Trijicon now...the only reason being the price. If I had $1000 to burn on an optic by all means I would go ahead and get the Trijicon but alas my paycheck cant encompass equipment that expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 09-15-2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
That said, what was the point of the thread?
The point of the thread was to gather information from people who have used one or both optics that I mentioned and share their experiences and personal opinion of the two optics. As expected I received very helpful advice from individuals that have used both optics and from there I was able to formulate a more definite approach to my future purchase.

"If I had $1000 to burn on an optic by all means I would go ahead and get the Trijicon but alas my paycheck cant encompass equipment that expensive."

Above is the sentence that you quoted earlier. I can see how it can be a little confusing and perhaps it is my fault for not being more accurate. The title of the thread is a question regarding the comparison of the two items and I merely wanted to know if the Trijicon is worth an extra $600-$700. I learned that it will be unnecessary for me to purchase the Trijicon over the Burris which is when I made that statement. If however I learned that the Trijicon is a must I would have probably included that I need to save some more money and possibly sell some items to afford the high end optic. I hope that I answered your question, good day to you sir.
Old 09-15-2013, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
I don't have a picture of it but check out this website. The advantage of that type of setup is you get a magnified and CQB optic all rolled into one. If you shop right it'll cost you about $500. To me this is the cheaper alternative to something like the Leupold HAMR or an ACOG with RMR
Very much appreciate your advice, I have decided to go with the Burris over the Acog. It makes much more sense to me for the price difference. Im sure I will not regret the purchase.

Regards,
Old 09-16-2013, 7:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Very much appreciate your advice, I have decided to go with the Burris over the Acog. It makes much more sense to me for the price difference. Im sure I will not regret the purchase.

Regards,
Good choice. I love ACOGs. I was issued a TA31 while in the Army and owned a TA01NSN. They are in a league of their own. However, without the fiber optics, I didn't have much use for a crosshair ACOG. The NSN was nowhere near as fast as my TA31, so I sold it. The fiber optics make a big difference.

I dont think the NSN is worth the price difference. However, a TA31 or MPO might be...

Chase B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 09-16-2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
Good choice. I love ACOGs. I was issued a TA31 while in the Army and owned a TA01NSN. They are in a league of their own. However, without the fiber optics, I didn't have much use for a crosshair ACOG. The NSN was nowhere near as fast as my TA31, so I sold it. The fiber optics make a big difference.

I dont think the NSN is worth the price difference. However, a TA31 or MPO might be...

Chase B.
I never realized there would be such a difference between the TA31 and the NSN. I was wondering how they would compare but I never gave it much thought. I figured that the only big difference would be the crosshair not the fiber optics. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-16-2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post

Chase B.
And of course thank you for your service sir
Old 09-17-2013, 7:19 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I never realized there would be such a difference between the TA31 and the NSN. I was wondering how they would compare but I never gave it much thought. I figured that the only big difference would be the crosshair not the fiber optics. Thanks for the input.
Yeah, the fiber optics make a big difference. Also, the TA31 line has many reticle options, all with the fiber optic illumination; chevron, croshair, horseshoe/dot, triangle, and doughnut.

I have more experience with the chevron, but the more I look through the horseshoe, the more i like it.

Chase B.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 09-17-2013, 7:22 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Quote:
And of course thank you for your service sir

Thank you.

Chase B.

OpticsPlanet
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Old 09-24-2013, 9:52 AM

I picked up a Burris 5x optic for my 20".....sold it and ended up getting an Acog....your going to end up wanting one...just save a bit and get what you really want...
1942 Toyo Kogyo Arisaka Type 99
1943 Royal Ordinance Lee Enfield