Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-13-2013, 6:27 PM

Default VORTEX PST OR BUSHNELL ELITE TACTICAL

Hello, need your help in deciding between VORTEX PST 6X24X50 and BUSHNELL ELITE TACTICAL 6X24X50. will be mounted on a 308 with a 24in barrel.Range from 400 to 1k . If you guys are familiar with PIRU range ,at 700yds bowling pin .

Last edited by emy; 09-13-2013 at 11:30 PM..
Old 09-13-2013, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

What's it going on? Intended use, etc? FWIW, I really like the newer Bushnell Elite Tactical line, but haven't had much hands on with Vortex stuff. The Bushnell has the better reticle of the two with the G2DMR, but I aside from that they should be pretty comprable to one another.
Old 09-13-2013, 7:07 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'd go with the best priced...

I have the Bushnell and am very pleased... The Votex 6-24x50 gets very good reviews and I trust that it is worth getting... however (fwiw), the 4-16x50 is disappointing (for me) and I nixed it in favor of Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 (which I couldn't be happier with).

Check Grabagun.com and Manventureoutpost.com on good pricing for the Bushy - the ET6245FG has G2DMR reticle (definitely the one you want)
Old 09-13-2013, 9:42 PM
Banned

Bushnell-

I'd favor the 3.5-21 instead...

I asked people I know and trust that have seen and used the vortex and bushnell, they say the vortex is fine, but the bushnell is worth the price difference.

I went with the bush 3.5-21. Not saying you should do the same, but people I know and trust who shoot matches with this gear steered me to the bushnell. Whenever I hear of a new scope, and some random review by someone I dont know... The people I do know, who shoot in matches with me are the ones I listen to. Someone posts a review of the primary arms or 'vixen arms' advertised on the page might not have a great deal of knowledge and experience and can give a glowing review.... The people I know and shoot with in competition have seen/owned and played with all the better brands out there. Schmidt and bender, premier, US Optics, NF, loopy mk4, bushnell, vortex, weaver, nikon, etc... If they say something is decent or something is garbage I pay attention because I see them at every match, and have some idea their experience and knowledge compared to some random review that says 'this new $200 tactical scope is the shiznit!!!!' (primary and vixen were just examples of new scopes some people have mentioned lately- scopes who -no one- *I* trust has yet to review.

Some of them shoot the vortex and like it just fine. It's not a bad optic- and priced well, and has unbeatable warranty. Though the consensus is... the bush 3.5-21 is better and worth the money.

You wont go wrong with either one.

Last edited by postal; 09-13-2013 at 9:51 PM..
Old 09-13-2013, 9:46 PM
Made in the USA

^^^ the 3.5-21 is in an entirely different class and price-point from the two the OP is asking about... it's a great scope - but well over 1K where the two he is looking at are under 1K (with the Bushnell being cheaper at most places).
Old 09-13-2013, 9:55 PM
Banned

Ah.... wasnt familiar with that model, and didnt know is was considerably cheaper.

My post above was a specific comparison between the 3.5-21 and the pst 6-24...

Which I knew was a few hundred different....

The rest of my post I feel is accurate- as I just came home with a 3.5-21 last month based on advice from fellow competitors...

However I have no specific info or advice regarding the bush 6-24 vs pst...
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

The Bushnell should be considered against the Vortex Razor, not the PST line. Check out both and get back. Also, what is your intentions, what rifle, what targets, what settings, etc.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
Ah.... wasnt familiar with that model, and didnt know is was considerably cheaper.

My post above was a specific comparison between the 3.5-21 and the pst 6-24...

Which I knew was a few hundred different....

The rest of my post I feel is accurate- as I just came home with a 3.5-21 last month based on advice from fellow competitors...

However I have no specific info or advice regarding the bush 6-24 vs pst...

the Vortex 6-24 and Bushnell 6-24 are comparable - and priced within $50 to $100 of each other (Bushy being cheaper)... the 3.5-21 is $400 to $500 more and not really a fair comparison (the Viper PST is not anywhere near the scope of the one you are referencing).

Last edited by LBDamned; 09-13-2013 at 10:12 PM..
Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
The Bushnell should be considered against the Vortex Razor, not the PST line. Check out both and get back. Also, what is your intentions, what rifle, what targets, what settings, etc.
not the one he is asking about...

I think some of you guys are confusing the Bushnell scopes...

OP is comparing apples to apples... his use won't matter because the scopes are the same in spec... minor differences are zero stop, illuminated reticle - and maybe slight difference in glass... but his use won't dictate one scope over the other.

And no, the Bushnell he is referencing is not in the class of the Razor.

He is asking about a $850-$900 Bushnell vs a $900-$950 Vortex that are as close to the same as you can get... you guys are talking about a different level of scope all together.

OP - the Bushnell ET6245FG is a great scope. The Vortex Viper PST is reportedly good as well... Both are FFP have very good glass for the money and have features that should suffice (with the Vortex having a few more bells & whistles)

ETA: I favor the Bushnell (and I am a fan of Vortex, having a 1-4x24 PST, two Stikefires and a SPARK - but in this category of optics, I prefer the Bushnell you are considering)

Last edited by LBDamned; 09-13-2013 at 10:14 PM..
Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 PM

I'm a big fan of the new Bushnells. I have the 10x and really like it
Old 09-13-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
not the one he is asking about...

I think some of you guys are confusing the Bushnell scopes...

OP is comparing apples to apples... his use won't matter because the scopes are the same in spec... minor differences are zero stop, illuminated reticle - and maybe slight difference in glass... but his use won't dictate one scope over the other.

And no, the Bushnell he is referencing is not in the class of the Razor.

He is asking about a $850-$900 Bushnell vs a $900-$950 Vortex that are as close to the same as you can get... you guys are talking about a different level of scope all together.

OP - the Bushnell ET6245FG is a great scope. The Vortex Viper PST is reportedly good as well... Both are FFP have very good glass for the money and have features that should suffice (with the Vortex having a few more bells & whistles)

ETA: I favor the Bushnell (and I am a fan of Vortex, having a 1-4x24 PST, two Stikefires and a SPARK - but in this category of optics, I prefer the Bushnell you are considering)

I like the Bushnell3.5x21,but my budget of. 1k for scope and $200 for the mount.
I will be mounting this on a 308 with 24in DPMS barrel.
Thank you for all the help.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 AM

vortex are running Filipino glass, what is bushnell using? If its Japanese glass then go bushnell, if its Filipino, then look at features, C/S, reviews etc.
Old 09-14-2013, 1:54 AM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand1911 View Post
vortex are running Filipino glass, what is bushnell using? If its Japanese glass then go bushnell, if its Filipino, then look at features, C/S, reviews etc.
Bushnell is Japanese
Old 09-14-2013, 6:07 AM

I think it's assembled in the Philippines with American tooling and maybe Japanese parts Chinese paint , German control .etc. etc. etc . The guy that does quality control is from SEMI VALLEY.
Old 09-14-2013, 9:44 AM
Made in the USA

^^^ possibly... (hee, hee)...

but they slapped a Made in Japan sicker on mine.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy View Post
Hello, need your help in deciding between VORTEX PST 6X24X50 and BUSHNELL ELITE TACTICAL 6X24X50. will be mounted on a 308 with a 24in barrel.Range from 400 to 1k . If you guys are familiar with PIRU range ,at 700yds bowling pin .
Go Bushnell. Vortex has more bells and whistles but the Bushnell has the better reticle (important) and the Vortex may or not need warranty service where the Bushnell has good warranty service but is usually never needed.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

I'd get the Vortex. I think the EBR reticle is a LOT nicer than the standard mil-dot reticle. Very user intuitive, very nice and fine as well for those precise shots. Great warranty, great glass, and illuminated reticle.

Vintagearms, why do you feel the bushnell reticle is better?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Banned

^^^ Seen the "G2" reticle? Very nice. A lot of people prefer the g2 over the ebr. That reticle was designed with input from George at GAP.

Warranty- both have lifetime warranty, however vortex even covers stupidity- Bushnell has lifetime transferable warranty on the elite and elite tacticals. Pretty much the same, but vortex covers more.

Bushnells are made in Japan at the LOW factory
Old 09-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
I'd get the Vortex. I think the EBR reticle is a LOT nicer than the standard mil-dot reticle. Very user intuitive, very nice and fine as well for those precise shots. Great warranty, great glass, and illuminated reticle.

Vintagearms, why do you feel the bushnell reticle is better?
take a look at the Bushnell reticle he is considering: http://swfa.com/Bushnell-6-24x50-Eli...pe-P51670.aspx

As good or better than the PST... however, it is not illuminated... I used to only consider illuminated and previously got the mil-dot illuminated that you are reffed to, immediately returned it in favor of the G2DMR (in link above)...

The reality is, if you can't see non illuminated reticle, you probably can't see your target either - so I realized it's not nearly as desirable as I used to think... one of those neat bells and whistles that really isn't all that practical.

ETA: as member "postal" mentioned above - they are made by highly regarded Light Optical Works (LOW) in Japan: http://www.light-op.co.jp/english/?page_id=22

Last edited by LBDamned; 09-14-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Oh, excellent! I'd prefer the G2DMR reticle as well. I thought they only came in the standard mil dot reticle. Over that though, I actually prefer the Vortex HS XLR reticle the best. If you're used to MOA measurements, its a really great reticle.

I'm not sure about the subtensions of the Bushnell are, but these days I'm a Vortex fanboy if you're on a budget. I'd take the 4.5-30x50 Elite Tactical with the G2DMR over most anything else these days.

Given the budget, and what he's looking for, I'd go with this:
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper...pe-P51720.aspx
Old 09-14-2013, 2:28 PM

I have the pst you are looking at on a r700 .308 26" barrel, with a 20moa base. With that setup I was able to get on paper at 1000 yards, dialing elevation only, no holdovers (I was hardly accurate at all, and the rounds were spinning sideways, but it hit the target). I like the scope well enough. I really do like my ebr reticle. I have never used a g2dmr reticle so I can't tell you what I would think shooting it, but as a keyboard champion it looks busy to me.

What I am not super impressed about the vortex is the glass quality. I can see the target and its clear, its just not amazingly clear or bright. The scope quality is good, it tracks and repeats and always returns to zero. It is a good scope.

If it means anything, I still look at other scopes I would like to try and to put the PST on another rifle. The other scopes I would like to try are all another $600-800 more though.

For your budget of $1000 I have been very happy with my PST, I'm also sure I would have been very happy with the bushnell (personally would have got the BTR reticle). Good luck in your choice!
Old 09-14-2013, 2:36 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Oh, excellent! I'd prefer the G2DMR reticle as well. I thought they only came in the standard mil dot reticle. Over that though, I actually prefer the Vortex HS XLR reticle the best. If you're used to MOA measurements, its a really great reticle.

I'm not sure about the subtensions of the Bushnell are, but these days I'm a Vortex fanboy if you're on a budget. I'd take the 4.5-30x50 Elite Tactical with the G2DMR over most anything else these days.

Given the budget, and what he's looking for, I'd go with this:
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper...pe-P51720.aspx
for sure the 4.5-30x50 - that is a sweet scope... but very pricey!

The HS line is made in China isn't it?... I haven't looked through any, but I don't think the glass in in the league of the PST or Elite.

With the stated budget of 1K (for scope and mount), I'd go with the Bushnell ET6245FG and ADM Recon mount (in fact, that is what I went with on one rifle)... I'm sure the PST would be a fine choice - but wouldn't be able to to it with the mount under 1K - and the added cost just isn't worth it (imo). Frankly, I don't think the Vortex is a better scope - yet it costs more.

*I am (generally) a Vortex fan though.
Old 09-14-2013, 3:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian23 View Post
I have never used a g2dmr reticle so I can't tell you what I would think shooting it, but as a keyboard champion it looks busy to me.
The G2 reticle is very simple. A mil based reticle with .5 mil and 1.mil hash marks with even number mils marked with a number for quick reference. Then has a small tree with marks for windage on the lower section if you were shooting at distance with hold overs and wind hold.

Out on the edge of the reticle is 1/10mil hash marks to measure objects to 1/10 mil accuracy for distance calculation/mildot master.

I dont find it cluttered at all.

If you think that reticle is busy... take a look at a horus... You cant see your target because all the junk on the reticle!
Old 09-14-2013, 3:41 PM

I have a Vortex viper PST but it's second focal plane. Has the EBR-MOA reticle though which I find easy to use since MOA is what I know. Haven't tried the Bushnell either, but some of my decisions were based on eye relief at max. power, and total internal adjustability. Vortex came out on top in both. I put a 20 MOA mount on my 722, and it gets it just fine out to 800 yds which is the max I've been able to go due to space constraints. The warranty is hard to beat also.
Old 09-18-2013, 8:25 PM
Banned

I own both scopes the OP is talking about. Both in FFP. Glass is comparable between them as is build quality. Personally, I like the Vortex slightly better but much of that is due to ergonomics.

If you can find a used SWFA 5-20 for a grand get that. The one I have is my favorite scope to date.
Old 09-19-2013, 2:04 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
I'd go with the best priced...

I have the Bushnell and am very pleased... The Votex 6-24x50 gets very good reviews and I trust that it is worth getting... however (fwiw), the 4-16x50 is disappointing (for me) and I nixed it in favor of Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 (which I couldn't be happier with).

Check Grabagun.com and Manventureoutpost.com on good pricing for the Bushy - the ET6245FG has G2DMR reticle (definitely the one you want)
normally the Bushnell is priced better (and favored, imo)...

but here ya' go OP: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Vort...st-624f1-m.htm use coupon code "vortex10" for 10% off... that's $855 OTD

or if you prefer MOA: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Vort...st-624f1-a.htm

you're not gonna find a better deal on FFP Viper PST.
Old 09-19-2013, 2:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
normally the Bushnell is priced better (and favored, imo)...

but here ya' go OP: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Vort...st-624f1-m.htm use coupon code "vortex10" for 10% off... that's $855 OTD

or if you prefer MOA: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Vort...st-624f1-a.htm

you're not gonna find a better deal on FFP Viper PST.
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v..._the_day_aug_8

camera land's "deal of the day" runs until they run out of stock of the item for that deal.
Old 09-19-2013, 2:50 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v..._the_day_aug_8

camera land's "deal of the day" runs until they run out of stock of the item for that deal.
Those are demos ( which usually means returned)... Nothing wrong with that necessarily - but I'd spend the extra $45 for nib...

I've never seen them new for less than Joe Bob is selling right now.
Old 09-19-2013, 2:55 PM
Banned

Bushnell, digital oasis.com is usually the cheapest I've seen online.
Old 09-19-2013, 7:54 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
Bushnell, digital oasis.com is usually the cheapest I've seen online.
grabagun.com often has great deals too...
Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 AM

I'm seriously looking at the Vortex HS XLR over the PST. Hopefully the 10% coupon will be around for a few days. Back to reloading.
Old 10-13-2013, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy View Post
Actually...
I think you would be happier with the Horus Falcon 5-20x50 with your choice of one of the Horus reticles.
Horus has steel tube vs Vortex which is aluminum. Horus has Japanese glass vs Vortex which is Made in the Philippines. Horus Falcon also has steel zoom dial compared to the plastic dial of Vortex PST. Additionally, Horus Falcon has metal turret covers that enclose the elevation, windage and the 6 position rheostat. I purchased one to go atop of a newly built JP Enterprises PSC-12 .308.
I chose the Horus H59 Reticle, very pleased with everything about the scope. Horus is also located in San Francisco so you can feel good about supporting a California business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 10-14-2013, 6:17 AM

I went with the Bushnell Elite. I spent days reviewing before I made my decision. If im paying big bucks I dont want my stuff made in the Philippines with glass shipped from Japan (vortex). Bushnells are made in the LOW plant in Japan which has a great rep. I got mine from Grabagun yesterday.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
I own both scopes the OP is talking about. Both in FFP. Glass is comparable between them as is build quality. Personally, I like the Vortex slightly better but much of that is due to ergonomics.

If you can find a used SWFA 5-20 for a grand get that. The one I have is my favorite scope to date.
I own 3 Vortex PST scopes and this is the same for me… amazing what they are able to deliver at that price point.