Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 3:26 PM
Banned

Location: Looking intently through my scope, slowing my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Who do you use for the DROS or does it not matter in these cases?
Robbie at golden state tactical. He works out of his house. Gets all my DROS biz.
Old 09-13-2013, 3:38 PM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

I've been to Wild Bills twice and they are the worst idiots I've ever tried to deal with. I won't go back. My business is going to MTG Firearms in Elk Grove. Best experience I've had at a LGS in a long time.
Old 09-13-2013, 3:58 PM

Did two PPT at Wild Bills and the ladies were great and the pony tailed guy was very polite, maybe I was there on a good day.

BTW: The Gun Room said they wouldn't do the PPT on the AR (it's against thier policy), Wild Bill had no problem doing the transfer.
Old 09-13-2013, 4:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terol View Post
I live in the Laguna side of Elk Grove and do my transfers and purchases from the Shootin' Shack.. It may be a small shop, but great guys to deal with.
Yep, Milt and the gang are great to me.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crob View Post
Wild Bill's can suck a fat one. Went in there one afternoon trying to help my pop find a deer rifle for my brother. As I put one foot halfway between the display cases and leaned forward to try and read a tag on one particular rifle, one of the guys came running over with his hand on his pistol. Told me to take a step back because "he didn't want to have to shoot me today". Joking or not, that is not the kind of stuff you tell a customer. I may have leaned in a bit too far for their liking, but a simple "can you please take a step back, I will grab that rifle for you to look at" would have sufficed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentarrow View Post
You should have called 911 RIGHT then and there. THAT'S a FELONY. BRANDISHING. His weapon is for the protection of LIFE. Your leaning over the counter does NOT threaten anyone's life.
I've never fully understood the reasoning behind why every swinging dick needs to carry a sidearm in a gun store. I can't count how many times I've entered a store to do a PPT and for all they know I'm a suicidal gunman who could easily take out one or two before getting killed. And yet they've always just assumed I was there for business...

I can understand the owner or shop manager on duty carrying a sidearm and employees having access to a firearm at various points around the shop, but it's obvious most can't handle the responsibility. I'd be willing to bet that if a shop owner implemented such a policy attitudes and general demeanor associated the power-trip of carrying would be minimally reduced... The exception being the a**holes at Wild Bills who are obviously too far gone to be saved.

Last edited by sierra11b; 09-14-2013 at 12:48 AM..
Old 09-14-2013, 2:21 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
I've never fully understood the reasoning behind why every swinging dick needs to carry a sidearm in a gun store. I can't count how many times I've entered a store to do a PPT and for all they know I'm a suicidal gunman who could easily take out one or two before getting killed. And yet they've always just assumed I was there for business...

I can understand the owner or shop manager on duty carrying a sidearm and employees having access to a firearm at various points around the shop, but it's obvious most can't handle the responsibility. I'd be willing to bet that if a shop owner implemented such a policy attitudes and general demeanor associated the power-trip of carrying would be minimally reduced... The exception being the a**holes at Wild Bills who are obviously too far gone to be saved.
Well said. Totally agree.
Old 09-14-2013, 9:18 AM

I read horror stories like this and I'm so glad for Faith Armory in Temecula and The Shootist in Murrieta. I've never purchased a firearm there yet, but the folks at Steelwater, in Temecula, seem very nice and friendly too.
Old 09-19-2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:

No no no...it's so I can have access to a loaded gun at all times when I go in. Lol. It's a good thing. I honestly feel good about that. If shiiit goes down, I can just grab the first awshole I see and grab his sidearm. Lol

...for those without the humor gene like those at "bills," that was a joke!
Old 09-19-2013, 8:07 PM
Banned

Tagged
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Robbie at golden state tactical. He works out of his house. Gets all my DROS biz.
This x 1,000,000,000,000,000
Old 09-20-2013, 11:57 AM

I guess I am just lucky. I have purchased guns, ammo, other items at Wild Bill's and have not had a problem. I have sold several guns on consignment there as well, and had no problems. There have been long waits at time when they were busy, but that can happen anywhere.
Old 09-20-2013, 2:35 PM

1) they wanted $500 more for a $450 gun (yes $950) then I showed them I could buy one for on Gun Broker. My wife really wanted it too. They wouldn't budge, 5 days later she did her paperwork at Golden State Tactical with Robbie. 10 days later she picked it up.

2) I was sold a Factory new Sig magazine (I had purchased my first handgun a month or two prior from them, last mistake) that would not stay in my gun. I went back and after much persuading I finally got them to exchange it. Now I know why they keep the package that it was in. So they can reload the package with more crap.

3) I took my Father-in-Law there once after 20 min of not being helped, mind you I had purcahsed a gun from here, magazines, and ammo, against my better judgement. Three people and 1 customer sat there talking about nonsense. After being brushed off multiple times we left. I understand when it is busy but when it isn't come on help the customers out.

I was lucky enough to find a few mismarked items. I found a low low price on a Mako buttstock. All the others on the rack were much more. I bought it.

I would recommend MTG Firearms (Bob) and Golden State Tactical (Robbie, mostly online then his house to pick up or delivery if not a firearm) over these guys.

Old 09-20-2013, 7:34 PM
Banned

Bob at MTG is great. Bought a pistol from him, always friendly and remembers my name. Great customer service.
Old 09-22-2013, 4:00 PM

Gee, thanks for all the negative responses. I really thought it was me because i didn't know the secret password or something. I'll admit I bought a box of shotgun slugs and a reloading manual there. FYI, I picked up a container of Lyman's corncob treated tumbler media and saw it had a price tag of 65.00 on it.
I think it's still there.
Old 09-22-2013, 8:40 PM
Banned

One can only hope to drive by these shops and see a "For lease" or "For Sale" sign in the window. No joke. If I saw that I'd give the next homeless person I saw a $50 bill to celebrate.
Old 09-26-2013, 6:56 AM

Unfortunately, the gun hobby sometimes attracts a few anti-social people who can end up on either side of the counter.
Old 09-27-2013, 7:15 PM

a ton of first timers and lesser informed people shop there.
I suggest MGT, nothing but good service from Bob, never spending a dime in wild bills or even gun room again
Never a cent from me since they jacked their prices up immediately after Sandy Crook. I used to look for parts there, but they don't seem to carry parts anymore.
Their selection of curious guns was cool for a while too. One guy there, Tracy, was always ok with me tho

Last edited by 3RDGEARGRNDRR; 09-27-2013 at 7:17 PM..
Old 09-27-2013, 7:29 PM

TrY GUNS FISHING & other stuff in Vacaville! LOL
Old 09-28-2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RDGEARGRNDRR View Post
a ton of first timers and lesser informed people shop there.
I suggest MGT, nothing but good service from Bob, never spending a dime in wild bills or even gun room again
Never a cent from me since they jacked their prices up immediately after Sandy Crook. I used to look for parts there, but they don't seem to carry parts anymore.
Their selection of curious guns was cool for a while too. One guy there, Tracy, was always ok with me tho

I would agree Tracy always seems genuine and helpful, he can't control the prices.

MTG Firearms and Bob just pickd up a XD40 from him yesterday

Old 09-28-2013, 3:54 PM

+1 MTG Firearms and Bob! I just bought a Glock 19 gen 4.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 PM

As the OP I anticipated some negative remarks considering my experiences with Wild Bills but nothing like this. But given my experiences I cannot say it surprises me...

There are some good dealers out there and I commend them greatly and encourage them to change the status quo that encompasses all the notorious dealers in our immediate area. I did not anticipate hearing of so many respectable dealers within the area that were otherwise unknown (to me at least) and will consider them when needed.

I just hope all the questionable dealers can see this thread and understand the following…

We're here to support you and provide you business; always have! This is especially important given recent times but fear too late for those that have mistreated their customer base for so long as their days may very well be numbered if the worst happens in the next days.

We all come from different plights, cut from different cloth, or from different backgrounds… Some of us just want household protection, some of us are sportsmen, some of us collectors and enthusiasts, some of us have been there done that, but ALL of us are supporters of the 2nd amendment… Even though i'd look like an overstuffed sausage in an old uniform I'd still be comfortable in a four-man stack entering that fatal funnel if need be…. That being said, I didn't ask about your resume and didn't divulge mine… I'm here to conduct business, maybe exchange polite banter, but nothing more… If you want to overcharge me or treat me like an unknowing thug off the streets then that's well within your right but rest assured we will not be back! Just treat me with respect and you shall receive mine and continued business.

Last edited by sierra11b; 09-30-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Old 10-01-2013, 5:41 PM

Big difference in message between your 9/5 post and your 10/1 post, OP. Sometimes sellers disagree with buyers as to value.
Old 10-01-2013, 6:16 PM

I have also had negative experiences at Wild Bill's and only go there as a last resort. I like Golden State Tactical, River City Guns and Shooters Warehouse on Micron Ave.

GREATER SACRAMENTO AREA REALTOR
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth.
Buy or sell with me and get a free gun!
BRE:#01443195 Realty First REO
Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestguns View Post
Big difference in message between your 9/5 post and your 10/1 post, OP. Sometimes sellers disagree with buyers as to value.
It is within their right but that doesn't change anything with me in regard to my standing with Wild Bills seeing how I'll never return. My 10/1 message was a blanket message for those notrious-area shops I've yet to completely blacklist whereas others here have. I can guarantee that unless some unknowing whale-of-a-buyer strolls into Bills that their SAA inventory will remain. The fact their SAAs had so much cosmetic damage is telling of how long they've sat waiting for so long. As I recall, their serials were late 3rd generation but years from factory fresh.

Their Wiley Clapp .44 special SAA had a sticker of ~$2900 as I recall. To be honest, their Wiley Clapp was near mint and I'd happily give them $2100 tomorrow but know that's an impossibility. I know SAAs are rare and that Colt custom shop has been increasingly slow and not accepting any custom order recently, but there are late 3rd generations to be found at or near MSRP, or far less than what they're asking and for mint specimens. Heck, you could get a custom B+ engraved Colt SAA from Jim Alaimo from Nutmeg Sports -- who used to run colt's custom shop and still provides them with ivory grips -- for $3600 and that's with an action job/ivory grips and without tax for a CA buyer. In fact, I have a gun with him as I type this getting carved ivory stocks...

The stigma with Wild Bills is that old-school salty curmudgeon mentality that the internet doesn't exist... That everything is centered around their shop as if they're still catering to a clientele utilizing covered wagons before the invention of the telephone and automobiles. The fact there are other numerous sources for buyers (even patient buyers seeking an SAA) doesn't justify their prices whatsoever. It's pure and simple gouging and they openly admitted to this given their policy of not conducting PPTs for like-models in their inventory.

Last edited by sierra11b; 10-01-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1957 View Post
I've been to Wild Bills twice and they are the worst idiots I've ever tried to deal with. I won't go back. My business is going to MTG Firearms in Elk Grove. Best experience I've had at a LGS in a long time.
They treat me pretty well there too. Always remember my name and very friendly. Thumbs up for MTG.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Banned

Add- Marge at Will Bills is very friendly and nice. Her daughter that works there is also sweet. Not all of the employees are clowns.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
It is within their right but that doesn't change anything with me in regard to my standing with Wild Bills seeing how I'll never return. My 10/1 message was a blanket message for those notrious-area shops I've yet to completely blacklist whereas others here have. I can guarantee that unless some unknowing whale-of-a-buyer strolls into Bills that their SAA inventory will remain. The fact their SAAs had so much cosmetic damage is telling of how long they've sat waiting for so long. As I recall, their serials were late 3rd generation but years from factory fresh.

Their Wiley Clapp .44 special SAA had a sticker of ~$2900 as I recall. To be honest, their Wiley Clapp was near mint and I'd happily give them $2100 tomorrow but know that's an impossibility. I know SAAs are rare and that Colt custom shop has been increasingly slow and not accepting any custom order recently, but there are late 3rd generations to be found at or near MSRP, or far less than what they're asking and for mint specimens. Heck, you could get a custom B+ engraved Colt SAA from Jim Alaimo from Nutmeg Sports -- who used to run colt's custom shop and still provides them with ivory grips -- for $3600 and that's with an action job/ivory grips and without tax for a CA buyer. In fact, I have a gun with him as I type this getting carved ivory stocks...

The stigma with Wild Bills is that old-school salty curmudgeon mentality that the internet doesn't exist... That everything is centered around their shop as if they're still catering to a clientele utilizing covered wagons before the invention of the telephone and automobiles. The fact there are other numerous sources for buyers (even patient buyers seeking an SAA) doesn't justify their prices whatsoever. It's pure and simple gouging and they openly admitted to this given their policy of not conducting PPTs for like-models in their inventory.
Probably a lot of truth in that theory. They were there before the Gun Room, Shootin' Shack, MTG, and were the only game in Elk Grove.
Old 10-03-2013, 5:30 PM

I bought three guns from them and they still don't remember my name. They never greet you when you walk in. They never say "may I help you with something" if you wait for them to help you it's not going to happen.
Old 10-03-2013, 6:02 PM

I guess I go to a Wild Bill's in an alternate universe. I just was there Wednesday, got greeted by name with two of the employee's. Pulled out a Smith & Wesson revolver from the back that I had been looking for. (model 24 44 special 3"barrel). Did the paper work on it in about 15 minutes. Again, maybe I am just lucky, but I never have had a problem there.
Old 10-03-2013, 9:10 PM

I checked them out on one of my rare days off from school and work a couple years ago. I patiently waited 30-40 minutes in line to ask about the mosins they had behind the counter. When it was my turn I asked how much they were (don't remember the price) and then asked if any of them had the hex receivers. The lady told me that I could just look myself (without handing me any of the mosins) and then went to help the next person in line that got there 10minutes ago. I would have looked myself BUT the mosins were behind the counter, near the floor and it was a bit dim in the store and the only part of the mosins that were visible from where I was, was the hand guard and buttstocks -_-

I tried asking for more help, but I was ignored. Maybe its because I'm a girl. Maybe its because I looked poor (hoodie, tshirt, jeans). Who knows.

Last edited by PopcornPuppy; 10-03-2013 at 9:12 PM..
Old 10-06-2013, 6:48 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm confident that refusing to perform and oversee a PPT for any reason other than suspected fraud or violation of law is in itself AGAINST the law and could harm their FFL status with ATF. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-07-2013, 6:10 AM

The OP's 9/5 post says he called them for an out-of-state transaction after finding that all the shops he called refused to do them: They refused him too. Then the OP's 10/1 post then says they refused a PPT: They didn't. A PPT (Private Party Transfer) is a face-to-face transaction between individuals, not an FFL-to-FFL transaction.

I saw them doing a PPT on a Romy G last week and they had a WASR on the wall for sale.

Last edited by Bestguns; 10-07-2013 at 6:16 AM..
Old 10-07-2013, 6:29 AM

Quote:
I'm confident that refusing to perform and oversee a PPT for any reason other than suspected fraud or violation of law is in itself AGAINST the law and could harm their FFL status with ATF. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
OP is confusing their policy on transfers with PPTs. They will PPT anything within the law... But they don't do non-ppt transfers on models they already stock or can get.

Edit: (Bestguns beat me to the punch above)
Old 10-07-2013, 6:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I hope these posts are going to Yelp. Check out some of the reviews of El Cajon Gun Exchange

http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-cajon-gun-exchange-el-cajon

After some of the scathing reviews (mine was among them), I don't see how they are still in business. If I were the owner of the business, I would certainly have a few come to Jesus talks with offending employees, some conversations likely accompanied by walking papers, to turn the place around.

As a community, we cannot afford to have a bunch of axehats talking to the general public. It's poor and outright rude service at gunstores like these that help to feed so much anti gun sentiment. We, as a community, should run them out of business.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 10-07-2013, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
We, as a community, should run them out of business.
Maybe you ought to try out our shops here before you tell people to run shops out of business. This thread has posts from local Northern California members who have commented on their positive experiences at this shop too.
Old 10-08-2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestguns View Post
The OP's 9/5 post says he called them for an out-of-state transaction after finding that all the shops he called refused to do them: They refused him too. Then the OP's 10/1 post then says they refused a PPT: They didn't. A PPT (Private Party Transfer) is a face-to-face transaction between individuals, not an FFL-to-FFL transaction.

I saw them doing a PPT on a Romy G last week and they had a WASR on the wall for sale.
I see what you meant and stand corrected. I knew the difference prior to posting this thread having done both, but should have been more clear by typing the correct acronym.

Still, it doesn't change anything and definitely doesn't excuse their poor customer service... When I called the other shops there was no ambiguity in their policy. With Bills they questioned what model weapon suggesting exceptions for ffl-ffl transfers and then balked even though it clearly wasn't what they carried despite it being an SAA (which they do). Let's not forget they hung up on me during this conversation.

Where does it begin and end? They could deny anyone on a whim stating they carry many guns in the same caliber as the gun a customer is trying to transfer. And it's a grey area policy which I guarantee isn't followed to the letter given so many variables in what is and isn't in their inventory. Imagine if someone paid for the out of state gun because the person on the other end of the phone said it was acceptable only to have the guy who spoke to me overrule the employee and reject the transaction.
Old 10-11-2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
How to they treat LEOs?
If they don't know you, just as crappy as anyone else. I go there to nose around and entertain myself once in a while. I never tell them who I am or what I am.

Or that I use one of our own guys (FFL) to buy through.

Bill's employees are surely precious, aren't they?
Old 10-12-2013, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPUTYBILL View Post
I guess I go to a Wild Bill's in an alternate universe. I just was there Wednesday, got greeted by name with two of the employee's. Pulled out a Smith & Wesson revolver from the back that I had been looking for. (model 24 44 special 3"barrel). Did the paper work on it in about 15 minutes. Again, maybe I am just lucky, but I never have had a problem there.
Went in to pick up my model 24 on Friday. Same as before, greeted by several workers, gave one my paperwork. Had my gun in about 15 minutes or less.
Maybe I lead a charmed life, but I have never had any issues with Wild Bills or any other gun shops in the area.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Mtg firearms hands down! Bob's polite, and respects everyone regardless if they buy anything. Best priceson most items too!
Old 10-15-2013, 1:24 AM
Veteran Member

It's quite simple, vote with pocketbook & spread the word! Crap shops (whatever their product may be) will either adapt or die.... And I for one, shed no tears for bad businesses going extinct (be it firearms or fire alarms)