Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Mod without thumbs

Default Finnish WW II fleece hat and WWII German fire fighter helmet.

All right guys need some info on both of this will include a link to the things. I could not find any information on this. Was thinking about ordering one or the other but I don't know if they are wwii. If you guys have any info let me know.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1510574
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1024671
Old 09-18-2013, 10:42 PM

can absolutely guarantee the fireman helmet is not ww2. its modern. while the modern firemen helmets have the same general shape as the ww2 they're not. if you want a ww2 helmet this is not it.

cant speak specifically to the finn one as im not familiar with it but given that its the sportsmans guide and probably buys in bulk i'd also figure this is post war surplus.

the kevlar helmet CAguy linked to is the modern Bundeswehr helmet used by the german army today. The description is a bit misleading.... they forget to mention the bundeswehr used US ww2 style helmets for most of its life until the 90s when they adopted the style being sold here.

if you're looking for ww2 surp, sir, i would not recommend a mass retailer. their business models usually mean they buy large quantities and by definition these days these wont be authentic. they may be of a similar tyupe or look like ww2 surp, but i wouldnt think would be.

a good german ww2 helmet can be anything from 2-500, to much much more if its SS or somehow unique.

unfortunatley the market is so glutted with fakes since the rise of the internet and the end of the berlin wall (ironically, poland and belorus and other parts of eastern europe which suffered the most under the nazis are now making copies of Wehrmacht gear in large quantities) that its very difficult to find real stuff these days at decent prices. and again... probably not from mass retailers.

good luck and keep looking!
"If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."

Last edited by glennsche; 09-18-2013 at 10:51 PM..
Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 PM

Actually, they don't say the "glow in the dark" helmet is WW2, they say it's "WW2 style". I remember these helmets in use when I lived in Bavaria back in the 1970's, and still have one in my collection. With the bright greenish-yellow glow, these helmets are so ugly they're cool. These are made of light-weight aluminum, not steel like the WW2 fire department, police, air raid, and other law enforcement/civil defense/emergency helmets.

There are several different styles of WW2 German civil helmets. The Feuer Wehr (fire department) helmets often have a steel "comb" or ridge added to the top. Nice examples of these still show up once in a while. Another type that can still sometimes be found in nice original shape for a decent price are the blue Luft Schutz (air-raid) "gladiator" style helmets with the big, attractive, "Luft Schutz" eagle decal on the front.

It's kind of amazing, considering the size of the German armed forces and all the other organizations and agencies who wore helmets in WW2, how scarce and expensive decent condition genuine examples are today. Of course I also find it suprising how hard to find and costly nice undicked-with WW2 98k Mausers are too.
Old 09-19-2013, 6:23 AM

The hat is not Finnish. It may have come out of Finland but it is Swedish military issue known as m/1909 pälsmössa = fur hat. It's sheep skin. This particular one is unissued. The leather bill can also fold up inside inbetween the fur and lining. When the ad says one size fits most it means those with XL heads are SOL.

Unissued m/60 arctic parka also Swedish military issue.

Old 09-19-2013, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
Actually, they don't say the "glow in the dark" helmet is WW2, they say it's "WW2 style". I remember these helmets in use when I lived in Bavaria back in the 1970's, and still have one in my collection. With the bright greenish-yellow glow, these helmets are so ugly they're cool. These are made of light-weight aluminum, not steel like the WW2 fire department, police, air raid, and other law enforcement/civil defense/emergency helmets.

There are several different styles of WW2 German civil helmets. The Feuer Wehr (fire department) helmets often have a steel "comb" or ridge added to the top. Nice examples of these still show up once in a while. Another type that can still sometimes be found in nice original shape for a decent price are the blue Luft Schutz (air-raid) "gladiator" style helmets with the big, attractive, "Luft Schutz" eagle decal on the front.

It's kind of amazing, considering the size of the German armed forces and all the other organizations and agencies who wore helmets in WW2, how scarce and expensive decent condition genuine examples are today. Of course I also find it suprising how hard to find and costly nice undicked-with WW2 98k Mausers are too.
what i find odd about helmets is how much more money they tend to cost than rifles. That doesnt really make sense to me on a number of levels. a helmet has no real utility to a collector, its a stamped piece of metal with no real craftsmanship and is in no way as bad *** as a rifle, yet RC k98s are less than a decent condition helmet.
"If the American Left wanted to decrease interest in shooting, they should have the government make it mandatory like they do here in Switzerland. Nothing makes you not want to do something like when the government makes you do it."
Old 09-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Mod without thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsche View Post
can absolutely guarantee the fireman helmet is not ww2. its modern. while the modern firemen helmets have the same general shape as the ww2 they're not. if you want a ww2 helmet this is not it.

cant speak specifically to the finn one as im not familiar with it but given that its the sportsmans guide and probably buys in bulk i'd also figure this is post war surplus.

the kevlar helmet CAguy linked to is the modern Bundeswehr helmet used by the german army today. The description is a bit misleading.... they forget to mention the bundeswehr used US ww2 style helmets for most of its life until the 90s when they adopted the style being sold here.

if you're looking for ww2 surp, sir, i would not recommend a mass retailer. their business models usually mean they buy large quantities and by definition these days these wont be authentic. they may be of a similar tyupe or look like ww2 surp, but i wouldnt think would be.

a good german ww2 helmet can be anything from 2-500, to much much more if its SS or somehow unique.

unfortunatley the market is so glutted with fakes since the rise of the internet and the end of the berlin wall (ironically, poland and belorus and other parts of eastern europe which suffered the most under the nazis are now making copies of Wehrmacht gear in large quantities) that its very difficult to find real stuff these days at decent prices. and again... probably not from mass retailers.

good luck and keep looking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by v/dBrink View Post
The hat is not Finnish. It may have come out of Finland but it is Swedish military issue known as m/1909 pälsmössa = fur hat. It's sheep skin. This particular one is unissued. The leather bill can also fold up inside inbetween the fur and lining. When the ad says one size fits most it means those with XL heads are SOL.

Unissued m/60 arctic parka also Swedish military issue.

Thanks all I appreciate it you saved me some money. Was just thinking about it, because there having free shipping on cloths.

Quote:
what i find odd about helmets is how much more money they tend to cost than rifles. That doesnt really make sense to me on a number of levels. a helmet has no real utility to a collector, its a stamped piece of metal with no real craftsmanship and is in no way as bad *** as a rifle, yet RC k98s are less than a decent condition helmet.
I know what you mean I have rifles, that have accessories that are worth more then the gun. I guess that is just how collecting goes.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:46 AM

Yes, but this generally applies only to German helmets and German rifles, and very loosely. When you get more specific and detailed, and compare the values of captured and reworked German helmets to captured and reworked German rifles vs. original German helmets to original German rifles, the results change quite a bit.

An all original, undicked with, WW2 German 98k is a $1,000+ rifle these days. Clean straight original WW2 German helmets can be had for less - of course something like a real SS or other premium helmet will be pretty costly.

Post-war reworked German helmets like the ones from Norway, ones supplied to allies like Finnland, low grade/beat up shells/"restored" WW2 German, etc. are relatively inexpensive. A post-war reworked German 98k, such as Russian, ,Czech, Yugo, or Romanian capture, sells for significantly more than one of the above mentioned helmets, but for a fraction of the price of a nice original 98k.

True, unless you are someone like me who likes to wear vintage military helmets while riding my Harley, they are not highly useful items. But they are interesting items that display well and easily, and have a kind of "macho" appeal. I at one time had a rather extensive collection of helmets that I had displayed on the shelves in my library and on a long shelf above the doorway...I have been selling them off but still have a number. Just by virtue of it's length, a rifle takes up the spac e of a half-dozen helmets. And helmets you can set pretty much anywhere, rifles have to be hung on a wall or stood up in a rack that also takes up additional space. Helmets are less likely to scare timid quivering liberals and enrage gonad-gargling gun grabbers, and are less a target for theft.

Excepting German and really choice WW1 or WW2 U.S. helmets which can have significant collector value, most other military hemets from Ww1 to the modern age are a $20 to $50 item, with a few going for a little more. Yeah, there are some scarce and historic variations - like WW2 Russian, Spanish Civil War, etc. that have more value to a dedicated helmet collector who knows what they are.

And as pointed out above, with desirable and valuable helmets - especially German - there is a big problem with fraud and fakery. And some of the fakes are very, very good, made to fool experienced high-end collectors, not just some schmoe who could be scammed by a Spanish or West German "stahlhelm" pattern helmet with a rattle-can flat black paint job and a set of cheap replica SS decals.
Old 09-19-2013, 1:54 PM

Markus,

because of you i have added the word "undicked-with" into my vocabulary. i like it.

there used to be this old guy who had a militaria shop in berkeley along..ashby i think it was. he had amazing pieces. huge ww1 pickelhaube collection, even some neat souvenirs from the trenches like an old german sign saying "here you are entering enemy gas area" written in the old regimental fraktur font.. he had a lot of odd pacific theater stuff and even some old bones hanging from the ceiling that he wouldnt say what or from whom they came.

Anyone else remember this guy? he was an old vietnam vet, chainsmoked, and last time i saw him he was in real bad shape and i assume he's passed away by this point.

anyway i was in his shop at one point and picked up a nice ss camo helmet he had on the counter. He said "careful with that. scratch it you buy it. volunteer Croatian SS, its $5000." Never been so careful putting down an object before or since.

Last edited by glennsche; 09-19-2013 at 6:36 PM..
Old 09-19-2013, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

I have a WW2 Whermacht steel helmet that my grandfather brought back from Germany. I used to play with it as a kid, never thinking of the historical value it could have in the future. It is still in pretty good shape though. The war eagle and swastika are still very visible. It sits on top of my gun safe now.
Old 09-19-2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CavScout View Post
I have a WW2 Whermacht steel helmet that my grandfather brought back from Germany. I used to play with it as a kid, never thinking of the historical value it could have in the future. It is still in pretty good shape though. The war eagle and swastika are still very visible. It sits on top of my gun safe now.
depending on its markings and condition, might be worth something between a Mosin m44 and a garand. or even more if its got those 2 letters on it.

i have two.

one is a luftwaffe ground troop, named, in very good shape. just missing chin strap.
the other is a double decal (flag on one side, eagle w/ swastika on the other) with the overlapping edge brim, also named, with broken chin strap.

i'm not sure what they're worth at this point.

Last edited by glennsche; 09-19-2013 at 6:57 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by v/dBrink View Post

That hat should be standard issue to all the Obama KoolAid drinkers....

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 09-20-2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
That hat should be standard issue to all the Obama KoolAid drinkers....
Wouldn't a Soviet era Bolshevik cap with a red star, or a fez with some of that militant fundamentalist Islamist Bin Laden Arbic scrawl, be more appropriate for the Obamites?
Old 09-26-2013, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
depending on its markings and condition, might be worth something between a Mosin m44 and a garand. or even more if its got those 2 letters on it.

i have two.

one is a luftwaffe ground troop, named, in very good shape. just missing chin strap.
the other is a double decal (flag on one side, eagle w/ swastika on the other) with the overlapping edge brim, also named, with broken chin strap.

i'm not sure what they're worth at this point.
It's not an SS helmet. Just has the eagle and swastika on the left side. I will have to take some pics. I also have a flag, a dagger and some belt buckles that he brought back. I had a Sauer and Sohn pistol that he brought back as well, but gave it to my cousin years ago. Kind of wish I still had it now.
Old 09-26-2013, 5:04 PM

That "firefighter helmet" is a horrible post war fake. PM if you want to see an actual vet bring back Feuerschutzpolizei helmet.

Issues with it:

1. Its steel - Real are made of aluminum
2. no glowing helmets ever existed.
3. the liner and chipstrap are modern rip offs of the ww2 german paratrooper helmet.
4. the neckflap is the wrong type of material aswell.

Last edited by SunsetIE; 09-26-2013 at 5:08 PM..