Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Default Terrible Gun Shop Experience!

Hey Guys,

This is my very first post to calguns. I've been meaning to register for a while now and after my experience at the Gun Shop on the corner of Hacienda Blvd and Colima in hacienda heights i felt the need to rant. Anyways, high prices aside...this is by far the absolute worst experience i have ever had in any gun store. The shop keep was incredibly rude. I asked if i could take a look at a mossberg 30-30 he had on display so the shop keep handed it over to me, however he never checked to see if it was loaded or not. So, naturally i inspected it myself as would just about everyone else I'm sure. Apparently to him i am, and i quote, "stupid and know nothing about guns". The shop keep then proceeded to rant about how he used to train cops, cia agents, and fbi and how none of them do a quick safety check to see if a gun is loaded. Is it just me or are any of you a bit confused here? Is opening up the action to see if a gun is loaded or not one of the very first things you teach? Even after i apologised and tried to explain i was merely checking for safety reasons he continued to insult my intelligence and gun knowledge. Just a heads up guys.....i recommend everybody STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHOP
Old 03-24-2013, 1:16 PM

Some people are just jerks. I always make sure any gun is unloaded.
Old 03-24-2013, 1:37 PM

Yup...always assume the gun is loaded when you first picked it up.
Old 03-24-2013, 5:18 PM

Even after watching them check it, I will double check it. You are not the douche here.
Old 03-24-2013, 5:55 PM

He probably felt dumb for not checking and tried to downplay the issue by putting you down.

Every time I pick up a firearm, I check if its loaded, even if I checked it few minutes before. I try to make it a habit. You could never be too careful.
Old 03-24-2013, 6:07 PM

Agreed, you are not the problem, but the solution to folks who get lazy and forgetful, ALWAYS make sure your weapon is clear. If there is an accident, you are surely to blame, keep checking your weapons bro., YOU are right!
Old 03-24-2013, 6:11 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Smile

Welcome to CALGUNS!

Forget the issue you had. If the guy was awesome, he wouldn't be behind the counter... lolz (unless he's the owner..)

Old 03-24-2013, 6:19 PM

I agree with you, always treat the gun is loaded unless proven otherwise.

Everytime i show my guns to friend, i rack it twice, check it and handed it to them with bolt open. And encourage him to check it himself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-24-2013, 6:30 PM
Calguns Addict

They've been out a few years now.
Old 03-24-2013, 6:38 PM

I check every weapon every time. Even if I WATCHED another person do the exact same before handing me a weapon. I hope you took your money elsewhere. Welcome to CalGuns!
Old 03-24-2013, 8:00 PM

Google "Colima hacienda gun store". first result should be an old cal guns link. Apparently I'm not the only one who had this problem. The sad thing is.... This guy sells guns for a living... You'd think safety would be #1. Kinda disconcerning. Wouldn't wanna be at the range next to that shop keep
Old 03-24-2013, 9:26 PM

I have been there to, and the guy is totally rude he gave me the spiel about how he trained law enforcement for many. I then asked him if he had any AR's and he then proceeded to lecture me how they were illegal in California and how he used to work for Eugene Stoner. I then asked how turners and ammo bros were able to sell them and he said that they were breaking the law and that if anybody bought an AR from them that the ATF would be knocking at their door because as he said before AR 15's are illegal in California. The guys a tool! Talks down to you like you don't know nothing.
Old 03-24-2013, 9:44 PM

You are completely in the right. The store guy is an idiot. I ALWAYS check guns when they are handed to me, even if I watched the person check it before it was handed over. Heck, yesterday at a shooting comp I checked out a buddy's gun, he drew it, checked it, handed it to me, I checked it and the first thing he said was, "nice to see proper safety handling skills".

That is the only comment you will get from someone who has a proper respect/understanding of firearms.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:16 PM

even if you watch someone safety check a firearm right in front of you, it's customary to recheck it yourself....this practice makes it clear to both parties that you each have some understanding of good safety habits.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:39 PM

Default Hmmm

I had a customer of mine tell me a story about a few months ago when he purchased a winchester lever gun at a gun show. He asked to see the gun, which had a tie wrap affixing the lever to the stock so you couldn't work the action. The seller said "Let me take that tie wrap off so you can check it out better. After he removed it my customer opened the action and a live round was ejected onto the ground. The seller said "what was that?". and my customer said "It was what you thought it was". Keep in mind that at any time that rifle was shown to someone, all they had to do was cock the hammer back an pull the trigger an we all would have read about it in the news. NEVER assume a gun is safe whithout checking it yourself first.
You were the one that knew what they were doing in the gun shop. If he really trained the CIA,FBI, Police, etc., then why isin't doing it now instead of working in a gun shop? I smell BS all over the place.
Old 04-25-2013, 8:49 AM

Minimum wage + guns = a**holes!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 PM

I've been to that store and I think the guy is a crackpot. In addition to all the training he did for the FBI, NSA, Homeland Security, CIA, etc., he told me that he was a weapons maker. I asked him what he made and he said everything from nuclear weapons to pistols. He literally mumbled how he could make me a nuclear weapon.

I also remember asking him for a particular pistol. He said that they hadn't made it in years and I would never find it because it was so old. He spent about 10 minutes lecturing me about that. When I showed him it was a current model, he instantly changed his story to how he could get it for me next week and that he just sold one last week.

Crackpot.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRoadKing View Post
Even after watching them check it, I will double check it. You are not the douche here.
THIS!
Old 06-04-2013, 2:33 PM

That should be ingrained reflex by now for such a high status trainer...
Old 06-04-2013, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing View Post
You are completely in the right. The store guy is an idiot. I ALWAYS check guns when they are handed to me, even if I watched the person check it before it was handed over. Heck, yesterday at a shooting comp I checked out a buddy's gun, he drew it, checked it, handed it to me, I checked it and the first thing he said was, "nice to see proper safety handling skills".

That is the only comment you will get from someone who has a proper respect/understanding of firearms.

^this
""When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws donít protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged", 1957"
Old 06-05-2013, 5:49 PM

I live right by this place and I would NEVER give him any of my money. I would rather drive out of the way to the West Covina Turner's or even to OC or San Diego for purchases. The local stores in Hacienda Heights are all pretty ridiculous.
Old 06-08-2013, 3:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up! It is too bad that you had this unfortunate incident with this shop owner. This is probably the guy that the news media would go to for a quote and he would be stupid enough to give one.

If you would like a totally different experience, I recommend a great gun store here in Torrance.

Crosshairs USA: http://www.crosshairsusa.com/

Reviews on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/crosshairs-u...by=rating_desc

The owner, Mike Flick, is a retired Marine and he hires active military for help. He business is based on a philosophy of selling only firearms that they are personally familiar with. Therefore it is mostly law enforcement and military stuff. But if that is what you are looking for, JACKPOT!!

BTW, they have a LOTS OF AMMO!! If you can't find any near you, try making the trip to Torrance. Treat yourselves to this experience.

Last edited by nrasbmc; 08-03-2013 at 9:27 PM..
Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 PM

I can't believe someone would try to make you feel stupid for being safe! As if it's not bad enough he didn't check the gun, he then tries to talk down to you because you checked it? What a douche nozzle!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Biggest d--k around. I never go there. Go to Old West Guns on Hacienda and Valley. It's only a few minutes north and the owner is nicer. You just can't play with the guns there.
Old 06-24-2013, 5:42 PM

I find the same, to a lesser degree, at almost every gun store and range I go into. These are the same guys who will tell you they would have joined the military if it wasn't for some medical condition.
Old 06-28-2013, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

well i guess i am going to be that one guy that likes him. he is from Taiwan and it is a cultural thing. i treat him with respect and i enjoy talking to him. i recently bought a beautiful 1944 M-44 from him. i also last year bought a 1907 M-91 TULA from him. i totally understand some people not liking him. i like old dank gun stores. his stories are true. he is fussy about handling the guns. he has told me many stories of idiots breaking or damaging his stuff looking at them.

i have been treated worse at the turners in chino hills more than one time.just saying
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
Welcome to CALGUNS!

Forget the issue you had. If the guy was awesome, he wouldn't be behind the counter... lolz (unless he's the owner..)

he is the owner, he can be difficult. i get along with him ok. he sold 2 fine rifles to me. one he held it for me with only 100 down for 2 weeks.
Old 08-02-2013, 4:57 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Not sure why the majority of people that work an gun stores or ranges are total d*cks. Everyone cries about people coming together to fight the antis for our 2A rights, but when a new guy walks through their door they treat them like crap. Not the best way to promote the sport/hobby.
Old 08-04-2013, 8:59 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience! I for one encounter a stupid D**k like that this weekend, cheat and know it all a**hole! Don't waste your time and money dealing with this shops. Turners west covina is an alternative, great customer service every time!

Keep doing what your doing, always check and treat one like it's loaded.
Old 09-11-2013, 5:53 AM

Default kalifornia gun stores

The only reason to have a gun store in kalifornia is to mine the state for
collectible items that the store low balls (rips off the customer) and sells at top dollar out of state.

The difference between gun stores in kalifornia and "free states" is that when you enter a gun store in kalifornia the proprietor glances up and says "what do you want"?

IN free states you walk in to gun stores and they say "Hi - How you doing, what can I do for ya"? - "how can I help"? (and most are clean)

kalifornia gun owners are police or (mostly) pussies. kalifornia deserves what it gets

The Constitution is the supreme law of the land
Old 09-20-2013, 1:56 PM

LOL The shop keep is an idiot for opening himself up to that kind of liability by handing someone a gun and not checking it first.. I would say someone knows nothing about guns if they DON'T check EVERY gun they pick up.. you did nothing wrong at all