Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-20-2013, 5:04 AM

Default NIkon p223.. mounting help

Question for you optic guys out there!

- Should I be mounting this scope as far back as possible??

Thanks

Old 09-20-2013, 5:48 AM
Vendor/Retailer

You want to mount it for the eye relief you need. best thing to do is shoulder the rifle and move the scope closer or back to get a full picture, and tighten it down there. Eye relief can vary from scope to scope, some are at 2'', most are around 3.5''-4'', then you have your scope setups at 8-12'' +. Mount the scope where you need it for your eye relief. I would say though, you ideally want the rings/mount on the same rail. ie, both rings on the reciever because there can be a slight height change from handguard to receiver on that particular setup, offset rings are typical on AR setups.

A quick personal observation...your scope does look pretty forward. If you have a full field of view from low mag thru high mag with that stock position and hold, great, but it does look a little more forward than norm.

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!

Last edited by OpticsPlanet; 09-20-2013 at 5:51 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
You want to mount it for the eye relief you need. best thing to do is shoulder the rifle and move the scope closer or back to get a full picture, and tighten it down there. Eye relief can vary from scope to scope, some are at 2'', most are around 3.5''-4'', then you have your scope setups at 8-12'' +. Mount the scope where you need it for your eye relief. I would say though, you ideally want the rings/mount on the same rail. ie, both rings on the reciever because there can be a slight height change from handguard to receiver on that particular setup, offset rings are typical on AR setups.

A quick personal observation...your scope does look pretty forward. If you have a full field of view from low mag thru high mag with that stock position and hold, great, but it does look a little more forward than norm.

Trevor B.
Hey thank you man I really appreciate the extensive help. I will play with it when I get home from work.. thanks again
Old 09-20-2013, 6:36 AM
Vendor/Retailer

For sure! Biggest thing is where you need the scope placed for YOUR eye relief. I usually keep my stock at the 4th position (depending on tube type). So, place the stock where you will have it most often (there will always be play anyway, so its not like you wont have a full picture if you change the stock position), hold to your cheek weld, and adjust.

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 09-20-2013, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
For sure! Biggest thing is where you need the scope placed for YOUR eye relief. I usually keep my stock at the 4th position (depending on tube type). So, place the stock where you will have it most often (there will always be play anyway, so its not like you wont have a full picture if you change the stock position), hold to your cheek weld, and adjust.

Trevor B.
Again.. Thank you! much appreciated!
Old 11-30-2013, 7:53 AM

That front sight looks like it completely blocks the scope.
Old 11-30-2013, 9:05 AM

Welcome to the learning curve. We've all been there so no worries. Yes, the scope needs to come back towards your eye and you need a taller set of rings.

Look at high rings - close to 1.5" (from top of rail to tube center) - or better yet, a one-piece AR mount like a Burris PEPR or Leupold IMS would be ideal, IMHO.
The rings you're using are far too low and aren't going to work well.

Last edited by Dinosaur Jr; 11-30-2013 at 9:14 AM..
Old 11-30-2013, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Most of my scopes have the rear of the eyepiece near the rear of the charging handle...I start there and then make adjustments based on the specific scope. I think as you move it back, the front sight is going to be more of an issue. As close as it presently is, it's likely blurred out. It's affecting your sight picture, but you may not notice it. As you move the scope back, it's going to be more of a factor.
Old 11-30-2013, 6:18 PM

The Nikon P series mounts are a worthy consideration, kind of cheap and only weigh 5 ounces. Gets it up a little for better field of view
Old 11-30-2013, 7:01 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

I have a similar setup and used a PEPR mount. I ended up putting a short riser (3/8"?) under the mount for better alignment with my eye and to provide a little more clearance above the charging handle.

I don't see the front sight at all through the scope at 4-5 magnification.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 12-02-2013, 2:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You might have to mount it a few times and adjust rings a few times to get it perfect for you. I always get the rough ring position (on tube and receiver) and eye relief first before putting it in a rifle rest to level the scope and tighten everything down carefully.

I'd definitely move it back and mount both rings on the flat top (not one on the receiver and one on the handguard). Regardless of your eye relief preference.

I ordered one of the P-223 3-9x40 on special today, so we'll see how mine mounts up when I get it. I have mounted a 40mm scope on my flat top already, so it won't be a big surprise (I'll use the same rings). I switch between a Aimpoint PRO and the scope, so I just mount the rings on the scope really well and note the Tmarks so I can swap without losing eye relief or zero. I'd prefer a one piece like the PEPR, but trying to make due right now.
Old 12-04-2013, 6:44 PM

I mounted my p-223 on a leupold mark 2 mount, front sight is not an issue even at full magnification. On another note, my scope is right over my charging handle, my BCM Mod 4 faciltates things.

Last edited by Devilmonkey89; 12-04-2013 at 6:47 PM..