Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-11-2013, 8:48 PM

Default cheapest range finder thats decent?

whats the cheapest range finder that you would recommend that could range to 1,000? will the cheaper range finders range to 1,000 or no? im looking for something cheap that is decent. if its off by a couple yds that wont bother me. i know nothing about range finders, but everything out here in western Colorado is long range

" Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
Old 09-11-2013, 9:04 PM

I too would like to know others opinions or experience with range finders in this catagory. Although not necessarily 1000 yds., 600-800 yds would be fine for me ?
Old 09-11-2013, 9:43 PM
Veteran Member

I don't have your answer and I'm interested to hear people's recommendations.

One thing I have heard is that on a lot of the cheaper ones they may say 1,000 yards (for example) but there may be fine print that the 1,000 yards is only on "Reflective Targets", and they're only good for 1/2 that distance on non-reflective targets.

I don't know about you, but most of the stuff I shot at is not very reflective, so it's something to think about.

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 09-12-2013, 1:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

I don't know about any inexpensive range finders that go out to 1,000 yds, but a buddy got an inexpensive golf range finder (he uses for shooting too) that does fine out to about 500 yds.

I take that back... many here go to 1,000 and beyond: http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/display?...FcU5Qgod1SUAzA
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 09-12-2013 at 1:10 AM..
Old 09-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Bushnell ARC 1600
Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveguns View Post
Bushnell ARC 1600
+1

If you're on a budget, the Bushnell ARC rangefinders are pretty good although I've had trouble ranging things smaller than a car past 500 yards on a sunny day.

If you're willing to save up more, I would recommend the Leica 1600B. It can range stop signs from 800 yards away.
Old 09-12-2013, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
+1

If you're on a budget, the Bushnell ARC rangefinders are pretty good although I've had trouble ranging things smaller than a car past 500 yards on a sunny day.

If you're willing to save up more, I would recommend the Leica 1600B. It can range stop signs from 800 yards away.
I have ranged rocks the size of a car from 1400yds away with the Arc 1600. Its not a Vectronic but hard to beat for the price.
Old 09-12-2013, 6:07 PM

I bought a Leupold RX-600 about a year ago for about two bills and I love it. It's only rated for 600 yards but I've gotten ranges as far as 700 hitting large flat metal surfaces. That impressed me, but then Leupold usually does.

Last edited by Mojaveman; 09-12-2013 at 6:21 PM..