Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

Ha! Too bad none of you live close enough to me. I am gun shot victim and I was back at the range the next time I was able. I could be the cheerleader.

Some people handle it badly, while others deal with it just fine.

Just help them along at a pace they are comfortable with. As long as it is safe.
Old 08-07-2013, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdawg View Post
Ha! Too bad none of you live close enough to me. I am gun shot victim and I was back at the range the next time I was able. I could be the cheerleader.

Some people handle it badly, while others deal with it just fine.

Just help them along at a pace they are comfortable with. As long as it is safe.

Were you a gun owner prior to being shot?

BK
Old 08-07-2013, 8:20 AM

I have never had a bad experience with guns. Honestly, I would steer clear of them whenever possible. My Father owned a gun and I wanted nothing to do with it.

My husband wanted to purchase a gun for home protection. I agreed with the promise that we both took a handgun safety class first. We signed up for a class in a nearby town, but I was unhappy when we dropped by to sign the paperwork the week before. The class was filled with gorilla sized men, no women. It was in a small concrete block room with a blackboard and a military looking guy teaching the class. We were to take three or four hours of class time, then leave the classroom and shuttle to a range for some hands on experience. I was not looking forward to any of this.

A few days later I went up to the foothills to a private range where my son was working. The range officer told me about a woman NRA instructor that gave private classes in her home and then did hands on at her private range on her property. I cancelled my class and signed up with her. She was experienced, confident and sympathetic to a woman who was a bit fearful. The class was eight hours long with a very nice lunch on her property overlooking the foothills. I was very excited when class time was over and I had the opportunity to pick any one of her guns and shoot it. I shot a .22, 9mm and a .38 revolver.

Long story short, I bought a gun the week after the class. I felt comfortable enough to purchase, know what I wanted and knew how to handle a gun in the store. Keep your lesson comfortable and non threatening. Don't show off your skills, but focus your attention on giving her your skills. Place safety above everything else. Constantly show her the gun is empty when you explain how to use it. Don't load the gun until she is ready to shoot. Let her load it and shoot it. Let her choose what she would like to shoot once she understands what to expect.

It is really great she wants to learn. That has to be a huge step for her. Good on you for taking her out and asking questions here to make her comfortable.

I hope your shoot went well.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 08-07-2013, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Were you a gun owner prior to being shot?

BK
Yes and no.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdawg View Post
Yes and no.

"Yes and no"? I think you already know what I'm getting at here. Your post states that some people take being gunshot victims harder than others and, for you, you took it rather well. (and I am very glad to hear that!!) However, you posted stating that you were "...back at the range the next time I was able". To be back at a range presumes that you had been at a range previous to being shot.

I understand what you are trying to say and I absolutely agree that people react to things differently. However, I propose that a firearms enthusiast may have an easier time getting over it than a victim who has no prior knowledge or experience with guns. The OP's friend was at a bachelorette party in Las Vegas when she was shot unexpectedly. If that was her first introduction to guns, then I can empathize with why she reportedly feels fear. On the other hand, for example, a person who is a competitive pistol shooter and 2-time national champion may not react as "badly" to a shooting incident. The champion shooter will be ahead of the curve in this scenario because she likely already has a positive view on guns and will "only" need to deal with the gunshot part. (and I say "only" in quotes as I know it's easier said than done.)

What we don't want to do is to downplay this woman's fear or her experiences just because other people may have been more successful at coping. With that being said, someone like you could be a big help because you likely have a more positive outlook and can share how your positive coping skills got you through it.

Edited to add: Maybe you can write a letter or note of encouragement to the OP's friend? You could PM it to him here and he could print it out and give it to her.

BK

Last edited by BadKitty; 08-07-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

The Yes and No part was due to me being a minor when I was shot with a pistol, so the most part I technically couldn't be an "owner" of a handgun.

Anyways, my wound was a accident caused by my own self. Now I sympathise with the OP's friend, but I would consider my instance worse. The OP's friend had never been around guns and was then shot by one, so her fear of firearms can be expected.

As for me, I was raised with guns and hunting, so I knew safety. And all it took was that one instant when the gun was not handled properly and then BANG. I recieved large wound where a .45 slug entered from right below the knee-cap and then exited over half-way down my clalf, turning my leg into a flabby mess a point-blank. Bullet barely missed by bone and just grazed by my artery. The doctor told me that if the bullet (a slug from a 45 Long Colt) had hit the artery, I would have died well before Emergency Services got to me. If it had it the bone he would had to have amputated.

Now, I am sure most readers will be thinking that I am an idiot and shouldn't be trusted with a firearm and am a fool menace at the range. And that is exactly the problem.

I was teased and ridiculed for months after my accident, especially by friends and family who are big into shooting. I felt like a fool and a jacka**.

However, that didn't stop me from going back to the thing I love doing. I had support from friends and family that knew better about me. Hell, a good friend was a Sheriff's deputy and had shot his hand while cleaning a pistol, so he knew all about it.

All it takes is the will to know that it will never happen again and to not let failure and misfortune force you to live in fear.

Last edited by Emdawg; 08-07-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

One more quick thought here that I meant to put in my original post:

If you can arrange to have you both with some electronic ear protection like the Howard Leight Impacts, it will likely help as you'll be able to communicate with each other without having to shout and get over the "what? what?" issue. I have found these type of ear protection to be really helpful with folks that are new to shooting and already tense or nervous on the range.
Old 08-08-2013, 6:29 PM

OP will you please tell us how this turns out? Also what worked for her, and what didn't? We all can use the input.

And thanks for being willing to do this.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 08-09-2013, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
OP will you please tell us how this turns out? Also what worked for her, and what didn't? We all can use the input.

And thanks for being willing to do this.
Will do!

My friend has had super busy weekends with work and other fun things planned. We will be meeting up in September to do handling and if she feels up to it shooting as well.
Old 09-09-2013, 4:20 PM

For those interested in supporting my friend get some justice, please like this FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/JusticeforBrittany

If you have any ties to the Las Vegas justice system or LEO, please spread the word.