Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Question Is The Gun Range okay for taking a newbie shooting? UPDATE: Had a great time!

My girlfriend has never shot a gun before, but much to my delight, she's expressed an interest in going shooting. I don't have a .22, and none of my friends have one either, so I need some place that rents pistols. No way I'm starting her on my .40 S&W (which I want to sell anyway, the recoil is too much for me).

Around here, The Gun Room in Elk Grove seems to be the least expensive choice. Would it be a good place to take her?

Does anyone know when it would be less crowded?

If the Gun Room is not a good place for newbies, would The Gun Range in northern Sacramento be better?

(Sac Valley Shooting Center seems much more expensive than either of the others.)

EDIT: Searching Calguns has revealed threads that indicate The Gun Range to be vastly superior to The Gun Room. Example: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=595491

I guess that settles it. I need my girlfriend's first shooting experience to be positive, or she might become an anti and try to disarm me.

I still welcome input and advice though. When is The Gun Range less crowded?

UPDATE, POST #26: I had a great time, and more importantly so did she.

Last edited by Dreaded Claymore; 09-05-2013 at 9:21 PM.. Reason: Changed title
Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 AM

It's indoors, the guys there (the gun range) are chill. If you know what you're doing, they'll let you practice more advanced techniques. Their prices are reasonable. The gun room is probably one of the most expensive places to go. Not any better either. Go to the gun room.

Don't rush her. Let her watch first, let her grasp the environment and atmosphere. There are a few girls shooting there too so she won't be too intimidated. Make it a positive outing. She'll love it. My gal loves it.
Old 08-06-2013, 9:27 AM

You want to go to The Gun Range on weekdays and perferrably before everyone gets off of work, but its not that bad even after 5.

Fri-Sun will be the most busy time for them. You'll be waiting for some time.

As with other ranges, you are charged per person and not per lane. Have fun and be safe.
Old 08-06-2013, 1:29 PM

The Gun Range (North Highlands) is far superior to The Gun Room (Elk Grove).

RANGE has far better lighting, ventilation, and staffing service.
ROOM is always easy to get a lane at cause they are never all too busy.

RANGE is $2 more at $17 per person. No time limits.
ROOM is $15 per person. No time limits.

RANGE has a better collection of rentals for rifles and handguns. They almost always have ammo needed for rental guns as well.
ROOM has an ok selection of handguns for rental. Last few times I went, they only had ammo of one or two calibers making you unable to rent most of their selection.

RANGE lets you rapid fire when you feel the need to release stress, at the price of quickly spent ammo. This is not important for beginners, but is fun for those with experience.
ROOM is quite strict with the 1 second between each shot rule.

If you live in Elk Grove or south of Sacramento, ROOM is an ok choice if you just have to do some shooting and don't want to drive 30+ minutes each way to your destination. RANGE is well worth the drive, just be sure if it is a long drive you plan to spend at least a couple hours there to make it fully worth the longer drive. Of course, if you are closer to North Sac or North Highlands, you have no reason to ever waste your time at ROOM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 PM

I agree with the gun range (week days before 5). As it's an indoor range, good ear protection will be key. Also, avoid going on real hot days. They do not have real A/C.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Gun range is a fine place for an indoor range. My recommendation is let us know when you plan to go, other calgunners can meet you and probably let you/your gf shoot their 22.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

Sac Valley Shooting Center is a completely different experience because it's all outdoors. The fee to shoot there is $14/day. I just looked on their website. If you're a member, it's just $3/day. One other BIG issue with Sac Valley is that while they sell ammunition there, they do NOT rent firearms. You will have to bring your own.

If you want to rent, the Gun Room, the Gun Range, or Cordova Shooting Center should be able to handle your business.

Of the two indoor ranges, based on what I've seen here in this thread, and what I know of the Gun Room, I'd give the nod to the Gun Range.
Old 08-08-2013, 1:12 AM

I've taken a number of new woman shooters to the range.

I and they prefer Sac Valley Outdoor to an Indoor Range. Sac Valley is quieter and less confined. The guys with short barrel 40's or magnums are not a few steps away in an outdoor range.

You learn to deal with Range Commands. You get the Cease Fire time to talk to other shooters if wished.

Finally the big plus is at Sac Valley you have the little Steel Targets on the 22 rimfire range to hit. Even adult enjoy the "ding" and watching the targets fall like at a Carney.
Old 08-08-2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-fishing View Post
I've taken a number of new woman shooters to the range.

I and they prefer Sac Valley Outdoor to an Indoor Range. Sac Valley is quieter and less confined. The guys with short barrel 40's or magnums are not a few steps away in an outdoor range.

You learn to deal with Range Commands. You get the Cease Fire time to talk to other shooters if wished.

Finally the big plus is at Sac Valley you have the little Steel Targets on the 22 rimfire range to hit. Even adult enjoy the "ding" and watching the targets fall like at a Carney.

NF nailed it. You can shoot paper at various ranges from like 3yds to 50yds, then move over to the rimfire steel target range. That little steel target range is fun too! You can easily spend half a day there. Take a big box of ammo, cleaning supplies, and some food & drinks.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you reload it's not that great since they don't let you collect your brass.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 AM

I think Sac Valley would be the best choice for a new shooter. The indoor ranges are great but can be a little overwhelming. Sac Valley has simple food and drinks available, coffee etc. They also have a picnic area across from the range office by the pond. It's a nice spot to go and take a break from the action.

I think the .22 rimfire rifle range with the little steel ducks and pigs and bunnies would be best. It's the quietest of all the ranges at Sac Valley and lots of families and kids are there on weekends, so it's not all the "hairy guys in camo" crowd. You'll want to go in the morning, it gets darn hot out there on summer afternoons. Bring your own ammo and don't count on getting it there. We never know what we'll have from day to day, and there hasn't been any .22 in a month.

They don't rent guns, but you can probably post here and someone with a .22 pistol or rifle will go shoot with you. Heck, I might go myself!

(BTW, JDay, if you meant that Sac Valley doesn't let you collect your own brass, that's just plain false. Lots of people there are re-loaders and pick up their brass.)
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 08-22-2013 at 12:08 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

Default http://www.sacvalley.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
Sac Valley Shooting Center is a completely different experience because it's all outdoors. The fee to shoot there is $14/day. I just looked on their website. If you're a member, it's just $3/day. One other BIG issue with Sac Valley is that while they sell ammunition there, they do NOT rent firearms. You will have to bring your own.

If you want to rent, the Gun Room, the Gun Range, or Cordova Shooting Center should be able to handle your business.

Of the two indoor ranges, based on what I've seen here in this thread, and what I know of the Gun Room, I'd give the nod to the Gun Range.
I agree with the above with a few thoughts added. Sacramento Valley Shooting Center is one of the nicest ranges in Northern California. They are one of the only ranges around here that offer a 1000 range. That's where you'll see a lot of IDPA, USPSA and Trap and Skeet matches. It is by far the premier range in Northern California imho. It's a little bit of a drive but that only helps make it better because it keeps the riff-raff out. The staff are superb too. I once rented a spotting scope there the 2nd time I went there and I turned in the scope but forgot to get my ID back (they hold it to make sure you bring the scope back) and when I called them and explained the situation they mailed it back to me no charge..

I also have to throw in the North Highlands range. They are some of the nicest people in the area as far as a gun place goes. They were on here before they opened up letting us know they were building a range and keeping us informed on the progress. Awesome people and a great range. Check out their facebook page too.

http://www.sacvalley.org/membership.html

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com

Last edited by negolien; 08-23-2013 at 6:36 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
(BTW, JDay, if you meant that Sac Valley doesn't let you collect your own brass, that's just plain false. Lots of people there are re-loaders and pick up their brass.)
I'm talking about The Gun Range. I know Sac Valley let's you pickup your brass, in fact the rules require you to do so.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Default The Range

The North Highlands Range is by far the best indoor range I have ever used. The owner and his employees are friendly and extremely helpful. Their prices are very good too. I would certainly feel comfortable bringing a new shooter and renting a firearm there.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The guys at the Gun Room in Elk Grove have always treated me fine, but I do not like the range there. I have big problems seeing where the shots land with their lighting. I've tried a few times, even using the glow shot targets. Finally gave up.

I love Sac Valley, but usually end up at Cordova Shooting Center because it's close and usually not crowded. For handguns you only have one option, a 15 yard range. Sac Valley allows all kinds of distances.

I have not tried the Gun Range in NH yet, but will some day. So far, the outdoor ranges are better for me as far as seeing what's going on.

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net
Old 08-22-2013, 5:07 PM

The Gun Range will let you pick up any brass that is behind the bench. Since there are no cease-fires you cannot go out beyond the bench. Maybe a brass trap will solve the problem.

Sac Valley's pistol range goes out to 50 yards, if you can hit anything at that distance. I have never seen the pistol range completely full. 80% maybe on a Saturday....
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 08-23-2013, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

I did my baton training at the Security and Firearms Training Academy yesterday. It's next door to the range. I didn't hear a peep from the range. Wonder how they made it totally sound proof.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 08-23-2013, 8:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The back and side walls are probably thick concrete.

Old 08-26-2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
If you reload it's not that great since they don't let you collect your brass.

Not true. They let me pick up my brass. They don't want people crossing the yellow line. Just ask them next time you go.
Old 08-26-2013, 9:09 PM

+1 For the Gun Range.

+1 For Sac Valley.

They are both great ranges.

I am NOT a fan of the Gun Room.
Old 08-26-2013, 9:41 PM

I am not a fan of the gun room due to their prices mostly.

I really like the gun range and have been there twice, but i will share a recent experience there with you when i also brought a first time shooter.

this new shooter was a female and also very skeptical about shooting a gun. she was already scared of them and very reluctant to try it. this aversion was made about 100 times worse when we stepped into our booth at The Gun Range because:

- the guy next to us was shooting an ar-15 which was extremely loud and almost incapacitated my new shooter in fear
- the gun room allows rapid fire, which also scared the daylights out of my new shooter
- on this Sunday evening it was very crowded at TGR as well which increased the overall density of noise

i was also a little disappointed because i shoot .45 and i wanted to rent my new shooter 9mm to start with. i wanted to start her with a nice heavy metal frame gun like the beretta 92fs but the gun range only has one for rent and it was already rented, so i had to go with the beretta px4 storm. it would have been nice if they had another metal frame 9mm available instead of making me go with a polymer pistol, but only a minor annoyance there.

overall it was still a very pleasant experience because i like TGR, they have a decent variety of pistols available for rent and the people are nice and they allowed me to train my new shooter without some hotshot employee interrupting to show off his own knowledge to the lady. Also the guys at TGR had no problem with me picking up my spent brass.

while The Gun Range is still an excellent choice, if i had to do it over again, i would personally opt to go instead to Cordova Shooting Center (off douglas and sunrise in rancho cordova)

I like Cordova because it is outdoors and a little more quiet. if you can get there when it's not too busy and not too hot it is a really great experience for a new shooter.

At Cordova, your new shooter can breathe a little easier, no rapid fire or giant gun blasts going off in their ears, just a relaxed one-on-one experience with you to introduce them to firearms.

Last edited by mafbloggerdanny; 09-02-2013 at 9:57 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 AM

The Gun Room sucks balls.

The one and only time I've been there was to teach two girls about handguns and how to shoot. The people running the range were dicks and wouldn't allow two people at the firing point, even though only one was shooting. And they were dicks about it, too.

Screw that place. I'll NEVER go back there.

Semper Fi!

Old 08-31-2013, 8:00 PM

Another +1 for The Gun Range.

My wife shot a gun for the first time there today, and wasn't too scared. The partitions are nice for that.

We went at about 10:00am and got right in. There was a wait when we got out though.
Old 08-31-2013, 8:06 PM

The Gun Room will never get another cent from me. The staff could care less about you after they get your ID and sell you high priced ammo. Based on personal experience I would say that renting a gun their would be life threatening. Its the only place i know that will keep renting out a firearm that is dirty and malfunctions. They just make sure you sign the waiver and warn you that the gun could go off unexpectedly as if it is the norm. Also that so called single action/double action revolver for some reason wont keep the hammer in the cocked position so it is now a double action only. WTF This place is not safe at all. I have also had bullets bounce back from the stop and hit my in the leg and torso on more then one occasion.

I would rather recommend The Gun Range in North Highlands. Great people and if you need any help just ask they will be happy to oblige. Last time I was there they had a Walther p22 rental and various other handguns, most in 9mm, 40cal, and .45acp. It is just a good range to shoot at. They use a dirt berm to keep rounds from bouncing back at the shooter. Cement filled lane dividers so in the event someone shoots side ways you are protected at the firing line. You will enjoy the great ventilation system that keeps the bulk of the smoke and smell of burnt powder down to a minimum. They also have some dam good prices on now firearms too. Just the best place to shoot handguns I have been to.

When I was new to shooting I hit Magnan in South Sacramento. here is a link to the site http://www.cityofsacramento.org/park...tion/rifle.htm
The range officers really keep an eye on the shooters and they are very helpful if you ever need instructions. They actually didnt mind helping me get my groups tighter. It is cheap but they have limited hours of operation.
Old 08-31-2013, 8:22 PM

I have been to every range in the Sacto area and the best facility is Sac Valley Shooting Center. I teach a lot of new people and SVSC is well maintained and above all- they treat you like an adult. Other ranges get a lot of people who can't follow rules and therefore require scrutiny from the Range Master. Respect the rules and they leave you alone to teach.
Old 09-05-2013, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

I finally took her to The Gun Range. Well, actually my dad took her, and me, as a birthday present to me, which was very nice of him.

I brought my XD-40, and some hollow-points that I wanted to get rid of because I can't handle .40 and I'm going to sell the thing. We rented a Walther P22 for her because it fit her hand, and a Glock 17 for my dad.

She shot a hundred rounds out of the P22, and was a quick study. I don't think she missed the silhouette once, and she picked up trigger discipline fast. I taught her "tap, rack, bang!" malfunction clearing, and given that this was a .22 and a rental, she had lots of opportunity to practice that, and enjoyed it.

I also learned that I prefer, and can hit more with, a 9mm Glock that doesn't fit my hand over a .40 S&W XD that does fit. (Don't let my post count fool you, I'm just a mall ninja and I haven't shot nearly as much as I'd like.)

My dad took pictures. Maybe I'll throw 'em up later.
Old 09-07-2013, 6:35 PM

Good for you. That's where we shoot and they have been terrific with pointers for my lady. Good input without being condescending and very patient.

Great range!
Old 09-07-2013, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Claymore convert your 40 over to 9mm. All you need is a barrel and mags.