Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-19-2013, 1:56 PM

Default Out of state storage?

I was wondering if the advice in the link about storing fire-arms out of state is still applicable and legal for Californians as an option based on impending and future laws in the years to come?

This would be based on a potential AWB in Ca where an individual who was a law abiding citizen would not want to leave the state but not lose one's possessions.

LINK:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/06/...-of-state.html

The article suggests renting out of state "non bank" private vault storage containers, particularly in Nevada.

Also, if you guys have not done so, now would be a very good time to purchase a good revolver in .357 or .44 mag and lever action rifle in a 30-30 or preferably 45-70 caliber. They are not ideal of course but they are all we are about to have left.

Last edited by Stripeknight; 09-07-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

Some people moved firearms to out of state storage facilities due to previous AW legislation. I have been to one of these facilities in Carson City, NV.

I have a house in a nearby state where I had a walk-in vault designed and constructed as part of the house. I included the vault since I knew I would not be living there full time and wanted more than just a plain gun safe and security system. Depending on what legislation is eventually passed and signed by the Governor, I will probably switch my primary residence to the house and cease to be a California resident, taxpayer and surf.
Old 08-19-2013, 2:39 PM

it's legal to store firearms out of state. this has been done in the past when they passed the first aw ban in ca.

"I want the truth! You can't handle the truth!!!" A Few Good Men
Old 08-19-2013, 2:46 PM
Veteran Member

I have a couple gun safes in my house in AZ. I just bought a new one to make more room because of the impending legislation.
Old 08-19-2013, 2:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

None of the state's business what I own in other states, other than what they can try and screw me for taxes on. I could take my BB'd AR over to Reno and fix it so it works like it SHOULD and California can't do squat about it. Of course if I want to bring it back I have to neuter it again

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 08-19-2013, 3:03 PM

If they make you dispose of your firearms of any type then they have to compensate you. An Attorney in NY is organizing a class action to force the state of New York to compensate firearm owners to the tune of $4 billion dollars. That is billion with a "B". The same thing could and should take place in California.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/law...-safe-act.html
Old 08-19-2013, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldblu View Post
If they make you dispose of your firearms of any type then they have to compensate you. An Attorney in NY is organizing a class action to force the state of New York to compensate firearm owners to the tune of $4 billion dollars. That is billion with a "B". The same thing could and should take place in California.

So which impending law the OP mentioned will force CA gun owners to dispose of their firearms? They are still bills right now, you know?
Old 08-19-2013, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt View Post
So which impending law the OP mentioned will force CA gun owners to dispose of their firearms? They are still bills right now, you know?
here's list of current bills, banning AW, mags, etc..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=776966

Old 08-19-2013, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

One of my buddies is thinking about bring his small safe to my place in Nevada, I already keep everything there that the PRK thinks can get up on it's own and perform mass killings.

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
"I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"
Count Palatine of Posen
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1775 View Post

Maybe dblblu should read the list of bills, because none of the guns we currently own will be disposed of like he implies. Posting stuff about New York to mislead people about the impact of the current CA bills is FUD in my book.
Old 08-20-2013, 1:11 PM

with so many bills on the agenda, it's not too hard to get confused, which probably one of the power grabbers' goals...

you do have to dispose of so called "AW" or take them out of CA if you don't want to "register" them...

and even worse for large cap mags/repair kits since there's no registration/grandfathering for them...

Old 08-20-2013, 3:18 PM

Gosh, since the OP was talking about impending and future laws, I thought my post was relevant or, at least, interesting. I apologize to one and all if it was not. People should feel free to use "Report post" and maybe the moderator will delete it.
Old 08-20-2013, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

If these go through (and they will), I have already secured storage space for a safe and my guns I refuse to pay more to register and have confiscated next year when they decide that they got away with violating the constitution in regards to magazines.

Question though, can I write off the expenses of complying with new laws?
Old 08-20-2013, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

While storing firearms out of state is an option, one must consider the following.

-Storing at a friend/family members house: Aside from the risk of a friend or family member using, breaking, or stealing your stuff.... there is always a risk they could go 5150, get a restraining order, or become prohibited by other means. Your stuff could be taken before you get your pants on and could cost $$$$$ to get back.

While results will vary, you just never know. Proceed with extreme caution.

-Storing at a rental property or storage unit out of state: Theft is a huge risk right out of the gate. Once someone gets wise to you never being there or the contents being stored.... watch out. Then there is risk of fire, flood, and other damage.

Again, results will vary and proceed with extreme caution.

-Long term storage at any location: Even if your stuff is safe and sound, free from theft and all that other mother-jazz.... think of the elements (humidity, heat, cold, large temperature swings) can cause major damage to your babies. Probably more likely with outdoor storage units, in a garage or in a primarily vacant home that you don't pay to heat/cool.

Results will very, use caution.

Just some food for though. Really think it through before you pack up next weekend and head across the boarder to drop your stuff off.

Working on a California exit strategy.
Old 08-20-2013, 7:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Does anyone know of an out of state business that stores firearms that is worth a damn?
Old 08-20-2013, 7:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldblu View Post

Exactly. Illegal taking is just that. It's completely unconstitutional. Our betters are really pushing it with this garbage.
Old 08-20-2013, 8:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1775 View Post

the magazine bill is the one to watch since it takes legally owned property to be disposed of or better yet taken by the state.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 08-20-2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack956 View Post
Does anyone know of an out of state business that stores firearms that is worth a damn?

I smell an extremely successful entrepreneur.

NO ISSUE / MAY ISSUE / SHALL ISSUE - LTC progress over time since 1986

Old 08-21-2013, 6:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I want to say ironsight or one of the shooting places in nevada was going to store guns at their facility in 2000.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM

Some people make a long term loan to a trusted friend or family member who lives in "Free America".

You may be being deprived of the use of your property, but at least you get to decide who does get to use it.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

At least it won't end being destroyed by a STATIST.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack956 View Post
you should run with this!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

I mentioned to my wife a month or so ago the idea of opening some sort of gun bank in the neighboring free states
Old 08-21-2013, 3:11 PM

A range complex just outside the CA border that included either private safe/locker space in a climate controlled, secure area, or allowed you to check your guns in to an armory for long term storage might be a viable business.

The bigger question is whether insurance and other factors would make it cost prohibitive.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.
Old 08-21-2013, 4:05 PM

A gun store in Eugene, Oregon already offer storage of firearms in their vault; they bought the vault when a bank there went belly up! Can't remember the name of the store ... Shouldn't be hard to google ...
Old 08-21-2013, 4:07 PM

Found it .. Baron's Den and Shooting Range ... http://www.baronsden.com/services.php
Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Bumping this thread as I think it will be very helpful now with all things considered.