Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Calguns Addict

The top box is too wordy. The headline doesn't "grab".

Big & bold in just a few words is much more effective in getting people to read the rest - Appeal to curiosity of both sides with something like:

What THEY Are HIDING About Gun-Control...
Old 09-04-2013, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastureofmuppets View Post
2ndMass has a really good point about the wording, lead with what you want people to remember I think is sound advice.

Just an interesting link about the statistics of UK Vs. US in terms of homocide rates:

http://rboatright.blogspot.com/2013/...der-rates.html
Thanks for that link. While it makes sense now, I never really thought about the potentially major differences in how the USA and UK record homicides/murders.

Are you a member?
Old 09-04-2013, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyInSoCal View Post

Big & bold in just a few words is much more effective in getting people to read the rest - Appeal to curiosity of both sides with something like:

And I thought the pro-gun rhetoric in MY version was a little strong...

Are you a member?
Old 09-04-2013, 1:11 AM

Looks great, nice job with the graphics.

I agree with others, try shortening the words at the top to a short, key point. I assume this is a poster? I need to know what the point is when glancing over while walking by.
Maybe consider removing your name from the bottom right? Or add initials, or something. Some loony people out there might get upset...

I am surprised at the number of firearms in Germany, it is hard to own a gun there from the people I have spoke to. (Hunting is one of the main reasons)
Old 09-04-2013, 1:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastureofmuppets View Post
2ndMass has a really good point about the wording, lead with what you want people to remember I think is sound advice.

Just an interesting link about the statistics of UK Vs. US in terms of homocide rates:

http://rboatright.blogspot.com/2013/...der-rates.html
Wow, good link!

jdouglas, don't mean to throw extra work your way but, is there another country that can be referenced instead of the UK since now we know their numbers aren't comparable?
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 09-04-2013, 3:10 AM

Quote:

I see where you are coming from, but that example sounds a little link-baity. The way it is already presented is very straight forward and the graphics do the eyeball grabbing. The text isn't condescending, just a rational question, with answer pointing out that the data doesn't support the common presumption.

Last edited by pastureofmuppets; 09-04-2013 at 3:14 AM..
Old 09-04-2013, 4:18 AM

Crime rates in Japan may not be comparable, according to Freakonomics they only list a death as a murder if they can solve the crime. Otherwise it is called an abandoned body. This is intentional so that criminals, seeing a close to 100% capture and conviction rate, will think twice before committing a crime.

I do not have a suggestion on how to introduce that tho.

http://filthyskies.com/2011/11/17/fr...-enviornments/
Old 09-05-2013, 3:42 PM

If only the anti's were this critical of the stats they use...
Old 09-05-2013, 4:18 PM
ISPCD
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

This is sharp jdouglas. Good job.

Quote:

Completely disagree (sorry dannyinsocal). It's clever and interesting and just the right amount to suck in the reader.
Old 09-05-2013, 6:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My suggestion to change the wording for the comparison between US and UK.

"The United States has 13 times more firearms than UK but a homicide rate that's only four (4) times higher."

ETA: I see AeroEngi has the same idea.
CGN and NVS
Old 09-06-2013, 4:58 PM

I'd love to see % of households with a gun, though that sounds hard to find.

I know that in some third world countries most households have a gun, as apposed to here, where about half have them, but many have several.
Old 09-06-2013, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

I can't remember but I thought Kenya or another country had a much lower per capita gun ownership but their homicide per capita was through the roof compared to the US.
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.” Mitt Romney 2012 Republican Presidential Candidate
Old 09-06-2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Mass View Post
I can't remember but I thought Kenya or another country had a much lower per capita gun ownership but their homicide per capita was through the roof compared to the US.
That's probably true; there are a good number of countries with very high homicide rates coupled with low numbers of firearms (in civilian hands). But the anti folks always go, "Oh, but those are third world countries and they don't count." So I left them off. :-)

Are you a member?
Old 09-12-2013, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

Bump

I love this thread

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Looking better, jdouglas

1 small tweak to the verbiage where you say: "...but correlation does not imply causation, especially when...."

This is kindof a train wreck. Correlation is never equal to causation, so adding the "especially when..." stuff sounds like you don't realize that fact. Therefore, I would absolutely get rid of the "especially" part.

More, is there even a correlation? There's so much evidence in your graphic which suggests there is NO correlation, so I would dump the whole correlation thing. I might go with, "Many would say yes, but you might be surprised what the numbers show" and just leave it at that.

I still like the idea of putting the "Japan and South Korea" blurb under the Japanese and South Korean stats, and likewise for the other blurbs. You can put the "..westernized countries" blurb under the UK and Canada.

Great stuff!