Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Where are the votes in the Legislature?

If you can figure out how to get 21 in the State Senate and 41 in the Assembly, I'd be very interested in hearing your plan.

Fresno Rifle? If so, please share.
I don't have a plan, but then, neither, it seems, does the NRA.
Old 02-11-2008, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
This site was created years ago so that people may get involved. Stop complaining and do something.
I am doing something. I'm complaining that nobody is doing anything.
Old 02-11-2008, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I don't have a plan, but then, neither, it seems, does the NRA.

Roll it off to a new topic, please.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-21-2008, 7:37 PM

Default Another Question

Newbie here, just Looking for clarification. Could I purchase a "Sig X" not on the "safe gun list" in Arizona and then take it home to California and legally register and own this gun? Still learning about all the gun laws and have not seen anything telling me I cannot own or register such a gun not on the list, just that I cannot purchase in the state of Cal.

Thanks,

EagleRider
Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRider View Post
Newbie here, just Looking for clarification. Could I purchase a "Sig X" not on the "safe gun list" in Arizona and then take it home to California and legally register and own this gun? Still learning about all the gun laws and have not seen anything telling me I cannot own or register such a gun not on the list, just that I cannot purchase in the state of Cal.

Thanks,

EagleRider
Quick answer, NO
Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks,

EagleRider
Longer answer:

Quote:
Why can’t I buy ‘gun x’, not on the Roster, from Joe Smith, or even Joe Smith, FFL, when those folks are out of state?

Federal law requires interstate transfer to go to an FFL in the receiver’s state. [18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5)] If you live in California, you can’t receive a handgun from out of state unless you have an FFL – and an FFL cannot sell a non-Roster gun to a non-LEO.

the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Old 02-23-2008, 7:59 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that if I bought the gun out of state it had to transfer it into Cal through a FFL, which would easily explain why I was overlooking that detail.

Anyone know the gun laws in Michigan, where my mother resides. I get the impression that I could have her purchase one and "gift" it to me. Do half-brothers fall into the family transfer section?

Thanks,
Eaglerider
Old 02-23-2008, 9:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRider
Could I purchase a "Sig X" not on the "safe gun list" in Arizona and then take it home to California and legally register and own this gun? Still learning about all the gun laws and have not seen anything telling me I cannot own or register such a gun not on the list, just that I cannot purchase in the state of Cal.
Since you are a CA resident, you cannot purchase a gun outside CA (or if you do, you're in trouble with the Feds). If a CA resident wants to purchase a gun it needs to run thru a CA FFL dealer. Don't attempt to 'paperless private party' purchase a gun in another state, it's illegal, and you'll get the other guy in trouble too.

If there's a gun outside CA you wanna buy, you generally need to have it sent to a CA FFL. If it's a handgun, it's gonna have to be on the Roster of Handguns Approved for Sale in CA (because even though you 'bought' it from an out of state supplier, the sale is in effect thru your transfer FFL in CA) - unless it's C&R or an exempt single-action or single-shot.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that if I bought the gun out of state it had to transfer it into Cal through a FFL, which would easily explain why I was overlooking that detail.
Yeah. Big trouble at the *Fed* level. BATF watches gunshows for this.

Quote:
Anyone know the gun laws in Michigan, where my mother resides. I get the impression that I could have her purchase one and "gift" it to me.
If your mother purchases a gun, she can gift it to you. It will have to run thru a CA FFL dealer to keep the Feds happy, but it can be a non-Rostered (nonapproved) handgun since intrafamilial transfers & inheritances are exempt from Rostering requirement. Best to have a gift letter "I, Mary Jo, am giving this gun to Billy Eaglerider." that the FFL can insert into his files for possible future audit.... when he uses the DROS computer, he will have to override the Roster entry with a reason, which will be 'intrafamilal transfer'.

Quote:
Do half-brothers fall into the family transfer section?
No the only exemptions to Rostering in PC 12078(c) (I think it's (c), at least) are for 'direct line' family: between any of grandparent, parent, child or grandchild. Relatives such as aunt/uncle, cousin or nephew are not considered valid exempt interfamilial parties. "Stepfather", etc. may be questionable, not sure.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-23-2008, 9:30 PM
Banned

Does the law state specifically how the PPT is to be done ?

Quote:
Any California resident can transfer a non-Roster handgun to another California resident using Private Party Transfer. That has to happen at an FFL dealer, but the Roster does not apply to PPT.
Old 02-24-2008, 4:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAutoSam View Post
Does the law state specifically how the PPT is to be done ?
PC 12072
Quote:
(d) Where neither party to the transaction holds a dealer's license issued pursuant to Section 12071, the parties to the transaction shall complete the sale, loan, or transfer of that firearm through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082.
Then, dealers do what dealers gotta do.

Old 02-24-2008, 4:37 PM
Banned

Ahh I see so the law does not specify that the Buyer and Seller must meet up at the same FFL correct ?

I have a Special way of doing a PPT to DROS a pistol that is not on the list.

Not that every FFL will take part is doing it this way but it is a way of getting a Pistol that is not on the list.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
PC 12072

Then, dealers do what dealers gotta do.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:41 AM

Great post!
Could I purchase a Colt 1911 Series 70 National Match from out of state under C+R. Or do I have to be a licensed collector?
Old 03-11-2008, 9:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr View Post
Great post!
Could I purchase a Colt 1911 Series 70 National Match from out of state under C+R. Or do I have to be a licensed collector?
Well this site seems to say that Series 70 guns were manufactured 1970 to 1983 (but I'm not a 1911 guy, so I may not understand that correctly); if so, that's not 50 years old, so it doesn't meet the 27 CFR 478.11 definition of C&R.

If it -is- C&R, then the CA FFL who receives it can over-ride the Roster. Or, if you are a licensed C&R Collector, you can go out of state and buy it directly, and send in the required $19 and form when you get back.

If it's -not- C&R then PPT from a California resident appears to be the only purchase alternative.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 AM

I want an H&K P30 and i'm in KALI. so how would i go about getting one?

1. a buddy of mine says, if i get a P.O. Box in Texas and have it for at least a month, i can purchase guns there. so can i transfer the P30 here to KALI through FFL? I'd still need to get a 10rnd Mag, and cannot bring the 15rnd over?

2. I heard that if a LEO purchases, say a P30 and wants to sell it, that i, a civilian can purchase it? True/False? and what about the 15rn mag? would i have to purchase it with a 10rnd mag?

3. If a buddy of mine outta state Purchases a P30 gifts it to his mama here in KALI...can she PPT, or sell it to me?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXR390 View Post
3. If a buddy of mine outta state Purchases a P30 gifts it to his mama here in KALI...can she PPT, or sell it to me?
The only people allowed to gift you off list guns are your father, mother, grandfather and grandmother.
Old 03-26-2008, 1:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXR390 View Post
I want an H&K P30 and i'm in KALI. so how would i go about getting one?

1. a buddy of mine says, if i get a P.O. Box in Texas and have it for at least a month, i can purchase guns there. so can i transfer the P30 here to KALI through FFL? I'd still need to get a 10rnd Mag, and cannot bring the 15rnd over?

2. I heard that if a LEO purchases, say a P30 and wants to sell it, that i, a civilian can purchase it? True/False? and what about the 15rn mag? would i have to purchase it with a 10rnd mag?

1) I can't speak to Texas laws, but Fed says if you, as a CA resident, acquire a gun out of state, the transfer must occur at a CA FFL, following CA requirements. That would mean no off-Roster handguns.

Can't bring in mags GT 10 rounds.

2) If a CA LEO buys an off-Roster gun, s/he may sell it via PPT to any CA resident. May not transfer mags GT 10 rounds.

3) The intra-family bit works both ways - children to parents, parents to children, grandchildren to grandparents, grandparents to grandchildren. If your TX friend gives an off-Roster handgun to his CA grandmother, through an FFL and following the CA rules, then Granny may choose to PPT the gun to any other CA resident eligible to buy a handgun.

STILL can't transfer any mags GT 10 rounds. Might as well get used to that - if you don't own them already, you can't acquire them now.

Last edited by Librarian; 03-26-2008 at 1:33 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 2:55 PM

rgs1975 and Librarian, thanks much for the info. Wasn't really into hand guns, but after seeing the HK P30, WOW...just got myself a Stag15 Model 2. haven't had time to shoot it yet. Hopefully soon!
Old 03-28-2008, 4:29 PM

I have a Beretta 92F that I purchased in 1988 in New York. I would like to bring this handgun to California, where I have since become a resident, but I am unclear on that hand gun's status on the roster. I see the M9 listed in two versions (including the "commercial"), which I believe is technically what the 92F is, but just the military designator. When I first bought this gun in 1988, I don't think the M9 designation was instituted yet.

If this gun is eligible to be brought into California, along with a Sig 228 that I own (that appears to be on listed on the roster for exactly one more year as of today!), what is the best legal way to bring them into CA? Can I ship them? Should I fly them with me (I would have to use an airport other than one of the NYC ones)? Is a FFL to FFL dealer the best way?

I appreciate any help or insight into these questions any members may have for me. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 5:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom de Guerre View Post
I have a Beretta 92F that I purchased in 1988 in New York. I would like to bring this handgun to California, where I have since become a resident, but I am unclear on that hand gun's status on the roster. I see the M9 listed in two versions (including the "commercial"), which I believe is technically what the 92F is, but just the military designator. When I first bought this gun in 1988, I don't think the M9 designation was instituted yet.

If this gun is eligible to be brought into California, along with a Sig 228 that I own (that appears to be on listed on the roster for exactly one more year as of today!), what is the best legal way to bring them into CA? Can I ship them? Should I fly them with me (I would have to use an airport other than one of the NYC ones)? Is a FFL to FFL dealer the best way?

I appreciate any help or insight into these questions any members may have for me. Thanks!
For guns you purchased when you lived out of state, the Roster does not apply.

Presuming you are eligible to own guns, and the handguns do not qualify as 'assault weapons' (threaded barrel and magazine not in handgrip are the key forbidden features) you may become a 'personal handgun importer' and file the correct form and pay $19 for each after you bring them into California.

I have no experience doing that - didn't own any guns when last I moved into CA, and that was before the current rule anyway.

All I've heard about flying into and out of New York with guns has been bad. I'd choose to drive them, if I had the time.

Old 03-28-2008, 5:51 PM

Thank you, Librarian! I had been misinformed by a gun shop in LA. They told me it was unlikely I would be able to bring in these guns since they were "probably no longer listed on the roster" due to the the fact that I purchased them over 10 year ago. They were encouraging me to sell those handguns in NY and purchase new ones from them of course.

I won't be going there for any future purchases, that's for sure.

Many thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Any efforts lately to abolish the list?
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 04-10-2008, 9:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin2 View Post
Any efforts lately to abolish the list?
As your sig says, "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws. It's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

No change in the elected legislators, no reasonable possibility of getting the law repealed.

Old 05-04-2008, 1:46 PM

Default Getting Started on Purchase:

I am currently stationed overseas (forward deployed in Afghanistan) and I want to purchase a new pistol. I know how California has become a very liberal State when it comes to the sale/purchase of friearms, which I can live with, but I was wondering if there was a way to get the background check out nof the way, while deployed. Additionaly, I would like to know if my Miltary Status would allow an automatic "pass" for any course or safety crap I would have to take. I am obviously more than capable of handling a pistol and rifle, so do I need to take this crap? I have a valid CA Drivers License and took hunters safety when I was a kid. So my question woule be, who do I need to contact to get this ball rolling so when I am home for good in the Fall, I can either pick it up from the dealer (paid in full now) or have my father pick it up?

Please let me know
merkley.chad@gmail.com

thank you
CPL Chad M. Merkley
US Army (Airborne)
Afghanistan
Old 05-04-2008, 2:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk.usarmy View Post
I am currently stationed overseas (forward deployed in Afghanistan) and I want to purchase a new pistol. I know how California has become a very liberal State when it comes to the sale/purchase of friearms, which I can live with, but I was wondering if there was a way to get the background check out nof the way, while deployed. Additionaly, I would like to know if my Miltary Status would allow an automatic "pass" for any course or safety crap I would have to take. I am obviously more than capable of handling a pistol and rifle, so do I need to take this crap? I have a valid CA Drivers License and took hunters safety when I was a kid. So my question woule be, who do I need to contact to get this ball rolling so when I am home for good in the Fall, I can either pick it up from the dealer (paid in full now) or have my father pick it up?

Please let me know
merkley.chad@gmail.com

thank you
CPL Chad M. Merkley
US Army (Airborne)
Afghanistan
Glad you're coming home, CPL Merkley.

Unfortunately, there's nothing useful you can do until you get here; the Handgun Safety Certificate is trivial, but you do need to spend the money and take the test in order to buy a handgun. Generally only California FFLs do the HSC, though some firearms instructors also have that ability. There's no background check associated with it - that happens every time you buy a gun through a dealer. The background check is supposedly the reason for the 10-day wait between buying a gun and receiving it (even though other states can manage it in under an hour, I'm told.)

A work-around: your father (who also would need an HSC) could buy it and pick it up. When you get here, he can GIVE it to you, after you get your own HSC, with one simple bit of paperwork and no dealer required.

Last edited by Librarian; 05-04-2008 at 2:43 PM..
Old 05-13-2008, 8:03 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_S View Post
So let me get this strait...

All new "safe" guns need to imprint a serial number in 2 places on a casing as it is ejected.

In other words, all new handguns that aren't already on the list are for all intents and purposes banned.
No. Microstamping is not required for new handguns before the later of: 2010, or DOJ BoF certifies that there is an unencumbered technology available to manufacturers. Since it will be 20ish years before there is an unencumbered technology, we don't have much to worry about from Microstamping.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 05-13-2008, 8:58 PM

That's actually going to be an issue for me, I can't buy a handgun until 2012.

And on the very DAY of my 21st I intend to walk right in and get a 1911.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_S View Post
That's actually going to be an issue for me, I can't buy a handgun until 2012.

And on the very DAY of my 21st I intend to walk right in and get a 1911.
Everything that is on the list may and probably will remain on the list.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 05-14-2008, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
No. Microstamping is not required for new handguns before the later of: 2010, or DOJ BoF certifies that there is an unencumbered technology available to manufacturers. Since it will be 20ish years before there is an unencumbered technology, we don't have much to worry about from Microstamping.

-Gene
Who gets to verify that the technology is "unencumbered" Looks like we have the fox guarding the henhouse, yet again! If you believe those that brought us this fine concept (our legislators did), that time is now!

"please guys please no ridiculous offers....Im a girl, not an idiot" Mistisa242
Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfaxjim View Post
Who gets to verify that the technology is "unencumbered" Looks like we have the fox guarding the henhouse, yet again! If you believe those that brought us this fine concept (our legislators did), that time is now!
The OAL process is actually pretty good. If they screw it up, then you get to sue them in court. We'll be watching this one closely. Certification will be just like the previous rulemakings and we'll all get a chance to comment. Encumbered is a well understood concept under patent law.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 05-20-2008, 8:53 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

If you have a major question or issue that should be added to this sticky please PM Librarian or myself. If you have a general question please start a new thread.