Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-27-2013, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible_Dave View Post
The feeling the the jail is "safer" than the street is an error in judgement and mindset. The threats are the same, the people are the same, the surroundings are different. If you need to sell it to your family that way, okay, but make sure your head is on straight before you hit academy/FTO.
That's true, I know the jails can be just as dangerous. It's just that people watch the news and see police officers getting shot while patrolling the streets more often then hearing about a deputy in jail getting injured.
Old 02-12-2013, 4:20 PM

Well got my results email (ahead of the projected 4 weeks too, which is nice for my nerves!). Passed with a pretty good over all score.
I'm in Band A and hopefully will get my next appointment soon to continue on to the next steps.

Fingers still crossed. Wish me luck everyone.
Thanks!

Old 02-12-2013, 6:20 PM

If you made band A you will be getting a job offer if the background comes out fine. The oral is used to weed out the people they don't want. I am retiered from CoCo and used to sit on the oral boards. No one fails the orals. If they did then they could appeal the decision. We were told if we had a bad candidate to rate them low enough to only make B list. That way they get strung along and fade away.

My advice on talking to family or significant other on you joining a Department is to be straight with them on your feelings. If it is what you want to do or if it's in your blood already you will never be happy until you earn a badge. If your wife/girlfriend is dead set against it then you are in a hard place. It will ruin your relationship. Working the jail first allows you to get to know the people you will be arresting in a kind of controlled environment. Use your jail time as a learning experience but don't think being locked in a module with 90 inmates is even close to safe.

Good luck and I hope you get what you want. CoCo was a blast to work for. And being retired from them is even better.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM

I sure hope so gorn! I'm really excited to make it this far.
Can't wait to get my next appointment.
Luckily for me my family is very supportive, and I'm single

What did you do in CoCo SO if you don't mind me asking? I'm interested in peoples different career paths since the department has so many different specializations to offer.

Old 02-13-2013, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperSYTFU View Post
I sure hope so gorn! I'm really excited to make it this far.
Can't wait to get my next appointment.
Luckily for me my family is very supportive, and I'm single

What did you do in CoCo SO if you don't mind me asking? I'm interested in peoples different career paths since the department has so many different specializations to offer.
Good job! I was also in Band A also and I moved on to the background interview. After that they will set you up for a polygraph.

I recently received a conditional offer from OPD after a year of being in the process from them. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2013, 3:25 PM

Congrats Legend!
You thinking of taking the offer? Or waiting it out to see how your other apps go?

Old 02-13-2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Congrats Legend!
You thinking of taking the offer? Or waiting it out to see how your other apps go?
Thanks! I'm taking the offer because OPD is the farthest in terms of the hiring process. Their academy is next month while CoCo already hired their deputies for their April academy. I would have been put into the following academy in September if I got hired with CoCo. Are you in any other processes besides CoCo?
Old 02-13-2013, 4:03 PM

Not right now. I know you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket but I really am attracted to that department and want to give it my full attention.

Good luck in Academy! Hope I get my chance soon!

Old 02-13-2013, 6:21 PM

Most of my career was in Patrol. I spent some time in Civil and Emergency Services. The end of my career was in Investigations.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM

CoCo County here. I'll try to address several other posts that I went over.

First, the jail. Definitely not a safer place. Intake is dangerous and you need to remain alert and aware. A few months ago a female made it all the way into intake and before her search, it was found she had a handgun in her bra. Jail deputies aren't armed, so its pretty serious especially if a hook can sneak something past the arresting officer into intake. Deputies also get in fights on the inmate modules all the time. Again you have a can of pepper spray and are lucky if there is a taser somewhere nearby. No batons, knives or firearms of course. We've had deputies locked in rooms with an inmate fighting until cover could get in there. The problem is the "boring" nature of things in between these high stress situations. They can pop off at anytime and you have to be ready.

Coco's academy was one of the best, I'm sure it still is with it's PT, training and everything else, but I've heard that mentally they've started cutting back on the yelling, stress and everything else. Maybe if a Calgunner who went at Class 170 or later could tell you more. When I went they were pretty hard core and in your face in everything they did.

Coco has terrible funding right now, technology wise, we are in the early 90's. Hopefully things will be getting better for our patrol division soon. Sheriff Livingston is really trying to beef it up, which is definitely a good thing. Sadly Coco is one of the lowest paid in the area. Lowest in the county for sure. We should be looking at raises soon though, since we just got hit with pay cuts.

I came from a city police spot, so I've got a lot more experience with Patrol then I do with our jail. Overall though, we have a strong department. It will back you up and you have a lot of career opportunities and chances for advancement. The people in this department are great. Just keep your head up during the hiring process, it can be a pain but if you just stick with it, keep you chin up, I think you will do fine.

As for a spouse or significant other, this is a talk that you should be having long before you start the process. Most like they know what type of person you are and already know that this could be a career path for you. Talk to them about it though, tell them your feelings and stay open with them. That is important. They will be your pillar in the academy and especially when you are dealing with the real world of the jail and patrol.

If you make it into the academy the best advice I can give is to keep your head up and your mouth shut. Push yourself to be the best always, because you will be remembered for it. Work as a team, always as a team. When one fails you will all fail. This continues into detention, patrol or wherever you go.

I wish you and anyone else the very best of luck. I grey up in CoCo and this is my home, always. Your experience will be what you make it, so make it the best. This is a great Department to work for, aside from budget and pay issues. To all my fellow LEO's in the state and country, be safe.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Not right now. I know you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket but I really am attracted to that department and want to give it my full attention.

Good luck in Academy! Hope I get my chance soon!
Also, I only put in for one place back in 2007 in another state (Texas), 10% hiring rate, and made it. They loved me for that because it showed I wanted to be in THEIR department.

I did the same thing with CoCo, and again it showed I wanted a job but that I wanted a job with THEM. It shows them that you are dedicated to what their CCCSO stands for. I've always felt departments like that.

Just remember at the same time you need to make sure that you are taken care of, if that's applying to 10 different agencies to ensure you get a job, then do it.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:37 PM

Eikbyrnir, thank you for all of the info.
That was a great read and really gave me a better understanding of a couple of things.
Your second post echos my hopes for how it is viewed on behalf of the department and all I can do now is get this background packet filled out and keep up the waiting and gym time.

I do have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind me PMing you?
Let me know and thanks again for your posts.

Old 02-17-2013, 1:15 PM

Sure any questions you have I'd be happy to answer.
Old 02-17-2013, 6:14 PM

Would anyone mind if I shot a pm with a few q's?
Old 02-17-2013, 8:55 PM

Yeah if you have questions feel free to PM, I'll answer the best I can.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:41 AM

and remember when you guys get your badge and gun not to let your head blow-up. you're still human.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 AM

Well time to get the suit out and iron a shirt.
Pre-background interview appointment set.
Looks like I'm moving forward nicely.

Must be from all your crossed fingers out there for me!
Wish me luck.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I was a deputy in the jail when I first my future wife. She was my physical therapist for my second knee injury. Therapy for 10 days and than I took her out on a date. We were married 9 months later and tho she may not have known exactly what to expect, she understood I would remain a deputy. One of the happiest days for her was 27yrs. later in 2003, when I retired. She didn't have to worry anymore about the knock on the door.

I will reiterate what was said about working the jail. I worked it for 4yrs. as a deputy at the beginning of my career and 4yrs. as a sgt. at the end of my career. There were more inmate on staff attacks while there as a sgt. IMO, the inmates exhibited a lot more violence compared to when I worked the jail as a new deputy.

If you are hired, be situationally aware at all times and don't drop your guard. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 AM

Great advice. Thank you for your story!
In your honest opinion, how did you view your work in the beginning of your career in the jail?
Would you have been as prepared when you moved to patrol if you hadn't been in the jail first?

I know it is easy to say now since I haven't been in the situation yet, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge, although a critically dangerous one.

Thanks again for any and all input.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Great advice. Thank you for your story!
In your honest opinion, how did you view your work in the beginning of your career in the jail?
Would you have been as prepared when you moved to patrol if you hadn't been in the jail first?

I know it is easy to say now since I haven't been in the situation yet, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge, although a critically dangerous one.

Thanks again for any and all input.
I believe working the jail is a good learning experience for a new deputy. The inmates you meet there are going to be similar to the bad guys you meet in the street. Many of them will freely tell you how they did what they did. You may also be able to build up some informants that can help you while working the jail and perhaps later on the street. Even if you never see them when you get to patrol, you will have learned how to work them.

The major downside is the amount of time a deputy spends in custody. I spent 4yrs. in the jail, beginning in 1976 and that was entirely too long. When I returned as a sgt. 18yrs. later, it was 6-7yrs. due to budget problems. That is a morale buster and some deputies either quit or lateral to another dept.

Personally, I think 18 months is sufficient. One can learn a lot during that time and that experience should prove invaluable, tho it and of itself, does not necessarily mean you will make it off training. As far as me being better prepared due to working the jail prior to patrol, I honestly don't know.

As I said, jail work introduces you to one type of person that you will meet in patrol. One's jail experience will help when you meet that type in the field, so in that instance, yes, I was better prepared. That said, FTO is a totally different ballgame and having experience with that type of person is only one facet of law enforcement. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2013, 1:01 PM

Jails are dangerous, so are courts. Many of us were put into courts when first hired. We recently had a guy sneak into court with a razor blade (hidden somewhere, dont want to go into specifics) and attacked someone else. In trial they are usually not handcuffed, sometimes not even leg-shackled.. You can learn alot about dealing with the public and/or criminals there as well. I know that jails and/or courts get a bad rap sometimes by those in patrol. Dont let them talk you down. Be proud of where you work! You can learn a whole lot (and I speak from experience)

Last edited by Jonnyboy182; 04-02-2013 at 1:06 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 1:22 PM

some good info in here. good luck to the guys going through the process right now!

i have an app in for CoCo County as well, but my bigger preferences are more local to me with SacPD, mainly. i'd like to get into Sac Sheriff, but the problem with that is that i need to have a POST training already done or in progress.

i want to be much more selective like what Eikbyrnir was mentioning, but i think this may be the better course of action for me, at the moment. i have a PAT and exam coming up next week for Stockton PD and am heavily preparing for that to make sure that i'm even more ready for any future PATs and exams once SacPD begins their process in May.

again, good luck to CasperSYTFU and BayLegend. hoping my process will go smoothly.
Old 04-02-2013, 1:29 PM

Thanks for the Kind words esy, good luck to you as well.

Also again, thanks retired, your personal accounts are definitely good to hear.
Jonnyboy, definitely goes without saying, regardless of what you do, you can never let your guard down for even a moment huh? Like I said, I'm open to any and all learning experiences I may have an opportunity to get if I get the chance.

Thanks again all!

Old 04-02-2013, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the Kind words esy, good luck to you as well.

Also again, thanks retired, your personal accounts are definitely good to hear.
Jonnyboy, definitely goes without saying, regardless of what you do, you can never let your guard down for even a moment huh? Like I said, I'm open to any and all learning experiences I may have an opportunity to get if I get the chance.

Thanks again all!
Nope, never let your guard down. Remember the Brian Nichols case? Got a gun and killed several people. Then you have the Tyler courthouse shooting. It happens, and its scary. Always be ready and alert. Be safe and good luck if you do get picked up.
Old 04-02-2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
some good info in here. good luck to the guys going through the process right now!

i have an app in for CoCo County as well, but my bigger preferences are more local to me with SacPD, mainly. i'd like to get into Sac Sheriff, but the problem with that is that i need to have a POST training already done or in progress.

i want to be much more selective like what Eikbyrnir was mentioning, but i think this may be the better course of action for me, at the moment. i have a PAT and exam coming up next week for Stockton PD and am heavily preparing for that to make sure that i'm even more ready for any future PATs and exams once SacPD begins their process in May.

again, good luck to CasperSYTFU and BayLegend. hoping my process will go smoothly.
Thanks, Right now I'm going through my second week of the academy. It's pretty tough but easily doable if you put the dedication and effort into it. It's a long road ahead for me (24 or so more weeks left) and just a heads up, you need to be in top physical shape and mentally strong when you enter the academy.

Good luck in your hiring processes ESY.
Old 04-14-2013, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayLegend View Post
Thanks, Right now I'm going through my second week of the academy. It's pretty tough but easily doable if you put the dedication and effort into it. It's a long road ahead for me (24 or so more weeks left) and just a heads up, you need to be in top physical shape and mentally strong when you enter the academy.

Good luck in your hiring processes ESY.
Week 2 huh? I would highly suggest that you focus on your studies and avoid posting on message boards. You never know if one of your RTOs or instructor/FTOs might be reading these boards.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:04 PM

^Agreed with dave.
Old 05-01-2013, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
Not a silly question. Written test: long sleeve collared shirt, slacks, tie, dress shoes, etc. Basically a suit without the coat.

ALWAYS look really sharp. Clean shaven, haircut, upbeat. It helps.
Not here for the SSD, but I guess it depends on the agency. It's workout clothing here (ie: running shoes, shorts, shirt). The SSD has their written and phsyical ability test back to back on the same day.

***Sorry. I am late and didn't realize this thread was from a couple months back. Glad to see you are moving through the process fairly quickly.

Last edited by StraightShot04; 05-01-2013 at 3:25 PM..
Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 AM

Thanks everyone. Passed my poly and entered my live-scan immediately following.
On to background I go.

I just want to thank, once again, everyone that gave me input and their stories so far.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM

Nice, congrats and good luck.
Old 08-06-2013, 1:08 PM

Backgrounds... ✓
Moving along, almost there.

Unfortunately just looking at timing, sounds like the 173rd may not be my class if all else goes well. 174th has a nice ring to it though, right?

Keeping my fingers crossed that everything continues smoothly and just going to keep plugging away.

Old 08-06-2013, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats man good luck in the academy!.

Don't be too friendly with other classmates, you never know who will turn on you. Just form a clique of some people you can trust, whom you can study the learning domains and scenarios with. Other than that don't try and volunteer too much. Bring a lighter (burn off small fibers) and a lint roller for the uniform, polish those boots.

When you make a mistake own up to it. Acknowledge it and move on, don't try and justify your actions in front of a tac officer that will only lead to further confrontation. When I was in the academy, I saw people try and make excuses. It always ended in more smoking for them...

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 08-06-2013 at 1:56 PM..
Old 08-06-2013, 2:04 PM

Duly noted. Good tips on the lighter and roller for the loose ropes.
Any other tips? PM if you'd be more comfortable. Willing to get all the advise I can possibly get.

Hopefully I get the offer for academy so don't want to get my hopes up just yet, but admittedly it's hard not to after 9 months of process.

Old 08-06-2013, 2:15 PM
Veteran Member

If your not working out already. I'd look into crossfit or get a copy of Insanity by Shaun T. You don't want to be miserable in the academy during PT, you want to enjoy it as a challenge.

The academy I was at, it was mostly PT for the beginning then we transitioned into academics towards the end of the month. Your'e going to be very fatigued and sore from PT, muscles you didn't know existed will be sore.

You may want to get some Glutamine powder and mix it into a protein shake. That will help with soreness or Motrin. Your choice..... Remember on top of all of this, you'll have academics which is just as important. That's why I said meet some friends in the academy, get a study group going on.

On top of that the instructors will give you memo's (L.A lingo) we call them ARJIS9's down here in San Diego. It's a remedial corrective piece of paper for a violation i.e. uniform out of spec, lint etc.. Imagine Bart Simpson writing on the chalk board over and over again, you'll be doing the same thing except on paper. Do it as soon you get home! Everybody gets them, I did mine late at night I feel asleep with white out on my cheek lol! That should give you an idea of how tired you will be. That was the first night!

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 08-06-2013 at 2:31 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Backgrounds... ✓
Moving along, almost there.

Unfortunately just looking at timing, sounds like the 173rd may not be my class if all else goes well. 174th has a nice ring to it though, right?

Keeping my fingers crossed that everything continues smoothly and just going to keep plugging away.
I've been wishing you luck this whole time. Keep pushing forward regardless of what happens. I'm still waiting to be contacted about my background.
Old 08-22-2013, 1:35 PM

Quote:

Hopefully I get the offer for academy so don't want to get my hopes up just yet, but admittedly it's hard not to after 9 months of process.
yea, thats a long *** time. hopefully it works out.
Old 09-05-2013, 9:36 AM

Final interview scheduled.
Thanks for everything along my journey so far.
You all have been invaluable.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:33 AM

Updates?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 AM

Should have one for you after Wednesday.
How's your process thus far?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can't go wrong with CoCo academy. Along with ALCO they produce a much different kind of graduate. Nothing against the other academies, but I have worked with officer's from other ones, if you don't go in there with the warrior mentality it isn't likely they will instill one in you.

Everyone who posted before is correct. Jails aren't safe. I am not envious of the deputies. Yeah they get to stay inside when its cold and rainy.....but they are trapped with the criminals patrol brings into them. I know I couldn't handle it.

Hit me up when it gets closer to your academy start date. I graduated CoCo a few years back and was top of my class. I would love to point you in the right direction....haha, but I won't be giving up too much of the mind games they will be playing on you.