Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

I pick up the last of my uniform stuff from Blumenthal on Friday (nothing like cutting it close ). Oh, they fixed the DAS form online too, finally. It actually has the backside now with the 7 areas that must be completed to be able to finish the front, lol.
Old 09-02-2013, 9:25 AM

I have all my old uniforms, I am in a position that does not require me to wear a uniform. So depending on your sizes. Pm me your sizes. I have the shirts, and the correct cargo pants and a couple jumpsuits.
Old 09-23-2013, 6:28 PM

Default Gear - Question

I got my gear at Quinns and am all set up, except for the P.A.D./PAD Case. They didn't know what it is and I can't find it online. Can anyone help?
Old 09-23-2013, 7:10 PM

That's a personal alarm device case, or just an alarm case. Can be hard to find online, but should be able to walk into any local uniform shop that is close to an institution and find it.
Old 09-23-2013, 7:19 PM

Additional info. I know that Aker leather makes them. And if you are looking at nylon, then hero's pride makes the. Hope the additional info helps.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Gear - Question

Thank you so much, that really helps.
Old 09-26-2013, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Both the leather and nylon PAD case can be bought from the canteen store at the academy as well.
Old 06-08-2014, 4:59 PM

Any updated to this? I'll be headed to the academy soon and was hoping to get some leads on necessary equipment and uniform.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_t0ny View Post
Any updated to this? I'll be headed to the academy soon and was hoping to get some leads on necessary equipment and uniform.
What do you want to know exactly? I can answer your questions; just need to know what you want answered specifically.

As far as nylon gear goes, I can say that the Hero's Pride stuff is cheaper than most, and it also seems to fall apart quicker than the other stuff. I bought the PAD case from them since no one else made a nylon one that I could find. I'm glad that I bought it though because it is cheap, and I haven't had it on my belt since I left the academy (the few times I've been in a position that I needed to wear an alarm, the institution has snap-on leather holders that I've just snapped onto my belt). I bought most of my Aker A-Tac nylon gear on eBay through "ecop!" The only thing that didn't hold up was the radio holder: some of the rivets popped off on the back. I now have a black leather holder that has a metal back on it. No worries now.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:18 PM

PM on the way. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 9:00 PM

My Heroes Pride alarm case is holding up great. Their belt keepers not so much. The black paint came off pretty quickly and looks like crap now. I got a leather alarm holder but I almost broke the alarm trying to get it out. I'll stick to the nylon one.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 06-13-2014, 1:23 PM

Default Academy and Career accessories

Let me share a little wisdom from an old retired Correctional Sergeant. First of all, congratulations to all of you that are about the join the "family". Second of all, good luck you are going to need it. Things have changed a lot since I joined the department since I started back in 1987. Things you could get away with then will get you fired/sued for just thinking about them now. Buy your stuff at the academy store, it is usually a little cheaper than the uniform stores but not by much. But, and it is a big BUT, no not that one, the store may not have it in stock and can't get it for a while and every cadet at the academy that is trying to buy the same item you are and will be in the store (it is not too big) at the same time as you. So go prepared and have the peace of mind you have what you need, there will be enough for you to worry about while you are there. One final thing, should I get leather gear or should I get nylon? Nylon is the new thing of the future compared to the old stand by leather. It is lighter to wear as far as weight, don't know about it being more comfortable mainly because I never used it. It all gets hot and heavy when you have to wear it constantly for 8, 10, 12 or 16 hours before you finally get to go home and try to sleep before your next shift. However, one thing to consider and that is. If you are involved in an altercation in the prison and you get body fluids/excretions/blood on you, yes it will happen this I guarantee. Leather for the most part will clean up but sometimes not. Nylon is harder to clean and get all the little and big "bugs" off of it once it's on there. Just consider the possibilities, in prison, it can and will happen just a matter of time. Again, congratulations to you all, keep an open mind both at the academy and inside the prisons. Have a sense of humor, it will help you survive both. Oh, and take all the "war stories" with a grain of salt, it helps. Sorry, one last thing old age you know, the alarm case or PAD as it is called. Don't get the one that has the strap and snap to fasten it to your Sam Brown belt, you'll spend a lot of time picking it up because the snaps get worn and won't stay snapped. They will also come loose when your in the middle of a tussle with an inmate. Been there done that. Get the one that slips onto your belt and will stay.

Last edited by Harold1950; 06-13-2014 at 1:30 PM..
Old 06-13-2014, 2:15 PM

Any place in So Cal (626/714) or surrounding areas that you'd recommend to get uniforms/gear from?
Old 06-13-2014, 6:08 PM

Quartermaster will have everything you need. www.qmuniforms.com
Old 06-15-2014, 6:22 AM

Quarter Master has a big Father's Day sale on I think through this weekend. Either 15-20%off. Get on their mailing list and they will send you notifications of discounts for those on their mailing list every once in a while.