Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-28-2013, 6:38 PM

Default New computer problems...

Well i finally spent the money on new computer components and built a new one. I fired it up on friday night and everything seemed to be working well. I went through and started installing drivers for my video card and mobo and had a few problems with the mobo drivers so i said i will worry about them later and shutdown and went to bed. Well i get home from a long day at the fair today to see my case fans running but spinning down to a stop. I thought that was weird so i tried to fire the computer up and now it turns itself on and off without any input from me, sometimes it will stay running for a few minutes other times only seconds. I went and reseated the connectors on the mobo, drives and video card but the same problem exists. I dont know what the next plan of action is aside from sending the psu and mobo back for replacements would be. I will list the components and see if the calguns tec support can help me fix it.

mobo- Asus z87 pro

cpu- i7 4770k

cpu cooler- Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer

memory- Patriot Viper 3 16GB- 2 x 8GB, PC3-15000, 1866MHz,

psu- XFX Pro Series XXX Edition ATX Power Supply - 850W,

video card- Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR5-4GB OC WINDFORCE 3X

os- Windows 8 64 system builder

hdd- Samsung 840 Series (SSD) 250 GB Sata

and please no "should have bought a Dell or other pre-made computer" comments

Last edited by incredablehefey; 07-28-2013 at 6:41 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

In before the "go buy a apple computer" crowd.
Old 07-28-2013, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Check the power switch and the connector that goes into your motherboard, what you can do is to disconnect it from the motherboard and see if the computer still boots itself up for no apparent reasons. If it does not do that, you can turn the computer on without the switch by touching the pins with a flat head screw driver. See if the computer still turns itself off.

It might be something as simple as a busted switch on the case.
Old 07-28-2013, 7:45 PM

Perhaps you can try switching all motherboard settings to default and clearing CMOS.
Old 07-28-2013, 7:52 PM

No BSOD on shutdown? If BSOD, run memtest. I see you already checked the PSU seating...

Do you have the memory timing and voltage set to spec? If not is it underclocked? Even if underclocked if the timings are too tight this can be an issue.

If bsod, memtest passes, remove video card (I see that mobo has onboard) and see what happens.

Could still be the PSU but I would check all of that first, if issues still persist run a Linpack and see how it responds. I normally use LinX.

What does the event log say?
Old 07-29-2013, 3:30 AM
Calguns Addict

See if 12V yellow/black (4 square, or 8 pin rectangle) is lose...
Reseat that, and the ATX power connector, just a guess.

Make sure the latch catches.
Old 07-29-2013, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

That's the same motherboard and CPU I just got a few weeks ago. Same hard drive. Similar RAM, and I'll keep my Corsair PSU TYVM. Your video card is better, though.

With the Z87-Pro you can instantly rule out memory issues. There's a button on the motherboard on the upper right corner that when you push it, there will be status lights next to your memory to tell you if it's good or not, and it will automatically figure out what memory timings to use, and set them for you..

Also, there's another button, on the bottom edge of the board near the center, that will boot you directly into the BIOS.

Try these, see if anything helps.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 07-29-2013, 6:33 PM

CPU overheat? Ensure that cooler is seated on the CPU correctly.
Old 07-29-2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishanh View Post
CPU overheat? Ensure that cooler is seated on the CPU correctly.
Aside from all the good advise above, I was going to suggest this too. Is the CPU cooler plugged in correctly to run the pump and fan?
Old 07-30-2013, 7:58 PM

well its up and running today.. for whatever reason i cant seem to get the bios to set the memory to 1866... im bummed about that but it seems stable now.
Old 07-30-2013, 9:38 PM

glad to hear you didnt kill a new build

another thing to try next time to ease the build is to use the on board graphics. just get the build running to load all the new drivers for the mobo and cpu stuff. then add the vid card as well as load the drivers for that bad boy. it cut out a few variables if something is causing issues with the build.
Old 07-30-2013, 9:39 PM

dam dude that is a sexy mobo you have
Old 07-31-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredablehefey View Post
well its up and running today.. for whatever reason i cant seem to get the bios to set the memory to 1866... im bummed about that but it seems stable now.
It's been awhile since my last build, but....

isn't memory 2 channel and therefore you set the speed in the BIOS at 1/2 the rated MHz of the memory? Your setting would be 933 if I am not mistaken.
Old 08-24-2013, 7:04 PM
Guns, Jeeps and Drones
CGN Contributor

Reseat your waterblock on the CPU. It is almost surely a heating issue. Properly clean the block and the CPU and apply a small pea size blob of TIM paste to the center if the CPU and evenly screw the cooler down. Also set you bios to defaults and work back up from there.

I have a 4770K running at 4.5Ghz @1.25v on an Asus Sabertooth Z87 with a Corsair H100i and 16GB of GSkill Ripjaw X 21300 DDR3 and a pair of Samsung 840 Pro 128's in RAID 0 running at no more than 130f playing BF3 maxed out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin 1818

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington 1790

Last edited by WiKDMoNKY; 08-24-2013 at 7:11 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 7:21 PM

I've had the same imac for 7 years and have yet to have a problem. Macbook pro for 5, no probs. Ipad & Iphone that my 3 & 5 year old boys play with (and drop) frequently. All still working great.

Our windblows based pc's at work crash multiple times a day, like clockwork. I was a network admin for 5 years in the Air Guard. I will NEVER own or work on another windblows based pc or network EVER again.

Sorry for your troubles, but they're built in, dude.
Old 08-24-2013, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Our windblows based pc's at work crash multiple times a day, like clockwork. I was a network admin for 5 years in the Air Guard. I will NEVER own or work on another windblows based pc or network EVER again.
I use Mac OS X, too, but I can still maintain Active Directory.

Blame the IT department, not Microsoft, for the shortcomings of your infrastructure at work.

IT: It's not just about Mac, Windows, or Linux and Unix.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
I've had the same imac for 7 years and have yet to have a problem. Macbook pro for 5, no probs. Ipad & Iphone that my 3 & 5 year old boys play with (and drop) frequently. All still working great.

Sorry for your troubles, but they're built in, dude.

But we have cooler games and they are not star trek based...

If OP is still having issues then you should take out the mobo and set it on the box, plug in the PSU and a monitor with only the RAM/CPU/MOBO plugged into the PSU. Remove the HD, OD, and anything else. Leave only 1 stick of RAM in it.

See if it turns on If it does let it idle in the BIOS and see if you can observe the temps. If your cpu goes like early 50s just sitting there it is prolly the over heating issue. Put a decent amount of thermal paste (decent = not too little or too much, like about a long grain of rice) and reinstall the cpu cooler. Then see if that changes anything. While you are at it you might want to have a closer look at your voltage. In the past with 2 motherboards I found that the AUTO voltage was too high and I had to drop the cpu voltage by a notch or two to get the temperature down.

Nothing is perfect, that goes for people, electronics and machined parts...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 08-25-2013 at 1:04 PM..
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 AM

The symptoms that you describe could be related to the heatsink/cooling solution you have chosen, so definitely clean and repaste the block - If only to eliminate this as the problem.

I suspect it actually to be your PSU. Despite some (many) of the reviews of this unit on newegg, the symptoms suggest that the PSU is the culprit (and many of the reviews back this up).

My own experience with XFX (as a company) gives me indigestion. And that is only dealing with 2 of their video cards and lack of response to general emails (I also now note that they have a specific email addy for newegg customers - something the other manufacturers do not have - hmmmmm) at their website!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Macs are for guys who dont get laid
Old 08-25-2013, 1:26 PM

+1 on the heatsink/cooling as the issue, CPU shutting down automatically usually to protect itself from overheating. I would recheck if everything is properly mounted.
Old 08-28-2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
they get laid plenty!! they just happen to have their finger break through the paper every time they #2..
Old 09-16-2013, 9:12 PM

Is it shutting down before or after you see Windows trying to load? If it's after, it might just be the drivers you had issues with. I recommend you boot into safe mode and see if it stops restarting on it's own. If it's fine in safe mode, I'd start by uninstalling the drivers you had issues with the night before.

Windows is set by default to reboot on system failure. If you don't go into startup and recovery properties to disable that feature, your PC reboots without showing you the error. Bad chipset drivers or video card drivers are usually the culprit here.
Old 09-16-2013, 9:22 PM

I took a quick peek at the Asus z87 pro specs. Looks like it comes with onboard video. For troubleshooting purposes, I'd recommend you pull out your Gigabyte GTX card and reboot.
\
Old 09-16-2013, 9:59 PM
Banned

whenever I've had that problem in the past...it was always a bad motherboard...I've built quite a few....
Old 09-17-2013, 5:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Most of them get plenty, the problem is that they spread hippie-diseases (VD).
Most don't know anything about what they are working on, hardware, or the tech behind it, they are too busy getting high to learn...

Last edited by the86d; 09-17-2013 at 5:07 AM..
Old 09-17-2013, 5:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Actually they give them more time to get laid since they don't have to constantly fiddle around with other hardware only the one piece that matters.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Why does the Apple crowd always jump on PC users with issues? Apple isn't the cure, he just built a new PC. Apple isn't infallible either! The old myth that Apples don't get a virus is simply because of the numbers; Apple still accounts for less that 10% of OS installs worldwide! So if your gonna write a virus you got for the OS with a large installed base. There are more and more virii that specifically attack iOS everyday.

...And there are many of us who have built and/or bought reliable windows based PC's! Mine has run 24/7 since 2008 as a media server. I reboot it about once a week just to clear out memory, etc.

OP - As most have suggested, check and double check all connections. Pay careful attention to all the small psychedelic spaghetti wires going from case to mobo... You don't have any leaks in that cooling system do you? I am also assuming this isn't your first build?

Also it may be a bad PSU since you saw all fans spin down. Wouldn't bee the first time I saw a bad "new" item!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well i finally spent the money on new computer components and built a new one. I fired it up on friday night and everything seemed to be working well. I went through and started installing drivers for my video card and mobo and had a few problems with the mobo drivers so i said i will worry about them later and shutdown and went to bed. Well i get home from a long day at the fair today to see my case fans running but spinning down to a stop. I thought that was weird so i tried to fire the computer up and now it turns itself on and off without any input from me, sometimes it will stay running for a few minutes other times only seconds. I went and reseated the connectors on the mobo, drives and video card but the same problem exists. I dont know what the next plan of action is aside from sending the psu and mobo back for replacements would be. I will list the components and see if the calguns tec support can help me fix it.

mobo- Asus z87 pro

cpu- i7 4770k

cpu cooler- Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer

memory- Patriot Viper 3 16GB- 2 x 8GB, PC3-15000, 1866MHz,

psu- XFX Pro Series XXX Edition ATX Power Supply - 850W,

video card- Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR5-4GB OC WINDFORCE 3X

os- Windows 8 64 system builder

hdd- Samsung 840 Series (SSD) 250 GB Sata

and please no "should have bought a Dell or other pre-made computer" comments
Quote:
Check the part number of your Patriot memory for actual specs. From what I gather, the Patriot memory is rated at 1600MHz stock. Higher speeds are considered overclocking and will require you tweak the latencies and voltage.

As far as stability in Windows, how long does it stay operational in the BIOS screen if you leave it there? If you increase the memory speed, reboot to take affect the new memory speed, and it locks up after reboot, then the memory settings aren't workable.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Why does the Apple crowd always jump on PC users with issues? Apple isn't the cure, he just built a new PC. Apple isn't infallible either! The old myth that Apples don't get a virus is simply because of the numbers; Apple still accounts for less that 10% of OS installs worldwide! So if your gonna write a virus you got for the OS with a large installed base. There are more and more virii that specifically attack iOS everyday...
Install Linux, and have less malware/virus issues than Mac users... If you need windows, run it in a FREE VM manager.

People need to stop doing stupid thing on their PCs, like click "sure" every-time something wants to install, especially while using IE on untrusted pr0n web sites (are there trusted ones?). How about do what you are supposed to do and NOT use a Windows Admin account for watching said pr0n, paroozing warez sites, or looking up lyrics?

Last edited by the86d; 09-17-2013 at 1:01 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 4:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Install Linux, and have less malware/virus issues than Mac users... If you need windows, run it in a FREE VM manager.

People need to stop doing stupid thing on their PCs, like click "sure" every-time something wants to install, especially while using IE on untrusted pr0n web sites (are there trusted ones?). How about do what you are supposed to do and NOT use a Windows Admin account for watching said pr0n, paroozing warez sites, or looking up lyrics?
Why take a brand new home built windows machine and load Linux??? Why even bother to post if you don't address OP's issue or Q?

WHY??? Cuz YOU like Linux? Maybe he's a gamer... no GOOD games for ANY distr0 of Linux! Unless poker or solitaire is your idea of a good PC game.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-17-2013, 5:09 PM

#@$! Cr-Apple Lovers , there stuff has problems too and hardware operation system limitations!

To fix you problem: hear is the solution.

1. Power on you Computer and go into the bios to the temp sensors for 10-20 minutes. If your temps on the CPU is between 25C-50C the heatsink is installed correctly, however if your CPU temp is higher that 60C them your CPU heatsink is not is installed correctly. Also verified that there is no heatsink (grease or silver) compound on the gold contacts of the CPU. Make sure the CPU fan the is plugged into the CPU fan header or this with cause you computer to turn-off because the bios is not reading the (900-2100 RPM) from the CPU fan sensor!

(You Are Watered Cooled)
2. If the computer turns itself off while in the BIOS, them physical hold you hand over the heatsink and make sure that you don't feel heat coming off the CPU heatsink, the CPU fan is spending down, the heatsink should be cool to the touch, and the water block wire connector sensor should be attached the to CPU fan header.

3. You have a GPU and Onboard Video, go into the BIOS ( Either F1 Key, F2 Key, Del Key) and disabled the onboard video for your the motherboard and save the changes the BIOS and exit. This will cause your computer to restart itself because it trying to run to graphics drivers and the onboard video at the same time. Boot into the Windows and run the Intel Chipset drivers from the motherboard vendor CD (ASUS) first and restart/reboot your computer. After the Computer is done from rebooting, run the (Gigabyte's) CD install video drivers for the GPU that the vendor supplied.

If you have more questions, Please PM please!
Old 09-17-2013, 5:48 PM

I had no idea this thread was active again... Im sorry for not keeping up with it but i did find the problem. After a some time messing with the computer i found the problem. The power button on the case was having intermittent shorts. I talked to Coolmaster and they sent me a new set of buttons. Im going to say that it would have been easier to just get a new case and move all of the parts over to it than have to do what i did and take the case apart but oh well whats done is done. I have not had any problems with it shutting down since the new buttons(other than overclocking problems). I have settled with a semi custom OC and if anyone is interested here are some test results I had it overclocked alot higher than what im at now but i would rather have the computer last a little longer and be more stable than have it OC'd to the max.

Thank you to all of the good reply's.

Last edited by incredablehefey; 09-17-2013 at 5:51 PM..
Old 09-18-2013, 2:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Why take a brand new home built windows machine and load Linux??? Why even bother to post if you don't address OP's issue or Q?

WHY??? Cuz YOU like Linux? Maybe he's a gamer... no GOOD games for ANY distr0 of Linux! Unless poker or solitaire is your idea of a good PC game.
As stated, I was referencing the quoted post (that I did indeed quote).
Old 09-21-2013, 5:28 AM

The reset and the power connections are crossed on the Mother Board. As you shut down you are actually restarting the unit.
Old 09-21-2013, 8:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

He fixed it already!
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote: