Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-27-2013, 9:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Sacramento and New DOJ Form

When I renewed I wasn't required to complete a DOJ form. My son has his renewal appointment coming up, and has to complete the new DOJ form. For justification, it states that if you are requesting for self-defense you have to give additional justification as to why you feel threatened (or something to that effect.) What are Sac renewal applicants putting in that section? Thanks.

"A city's strongest tower of defense is brave men" -Alcaeus
Old 08-27-2013, 9:45 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I put "see attached" on my app and used the same justification statement I submitted on my original app.
Old 08-27-2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugerdaddy View Post
When I renewed I wasn't required to complete a DOJ form. My son has his renewal appointment coming up, and has to complete the new DOJ form. For justification, it states that if you are requesting for self-defense you have to give additional justification as to why you feel threatened (or something to that effect.) What are Sac renewal applicants putting in that section? Thanks.
I was looking for the area you talked about and could not find that wording. on the app where is it located?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 PM

Sac DOJ application:

"If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others, or for the protection of large sums of money or
valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause for issuance of the license. For example, has your life
or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, locations, and names of police
agencies to which these incidents were reported."

I wonder how those who used " self protection" as a reason are going to explain their self for renewal now?

Sig P220 Combat
Sig 1911 Nightmare Carry
Sig P938 Nightmare
Sig P238 Rosewood
SpringFeild XD 9mm Sub Compact
Browning X-Bolt 308 WIN Carbon fiber/White Gold medallion
Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmosher View Post
I was looking for the area you talked about and could not find that wording. on the app where is it located?
See Sig916's quote above. I don't know the exact section number, my son read it to me on the phone.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig916 View Post
Sac DOJ application:

"If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others, or for the protection of large sums of money or
valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause for issuance of the license. For example, has your life
or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, locations, and names of police
agencies to which these incidents were reported."

I wonder how those who used " self protection" as a reason are going to explain their self for renewal now?
Exactly. And that's what most Sac applicant's used as their justification, as did my son and myself. So, how do we handle this now?

Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
I put "see attached" on my app and used the same justification statement I submitted on my original app.
Are you saying that your justification for needing your CCW for self-defense was self-defense. That is redundant. Did they accept that? How will everyone in Sac respond to this question (or, how HAVE they responded) who used self-defense as their justification?

Old 08-28-2013, 6:02 AM

I wrote the same exact thing for my renewal that I wrote the first time around: Self defense and the defense of my family. That's it. They accepted it, no problem. No changes are necessary. There's an earlier thread on this in which numerous people reported the same thing.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 08-28-2013 at 6:08 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 6:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I wonder what they might have to say about "Future Self-Protection". Then you could indicate that your justification is something that has not yet happened, that you cannot possibly forecast the future, or the kinds and quantity of assailants cannot possibly be numbered due to court ordered inmate releases.

I think it is absurd that renewals are being asked to provide good cause justification, when they are already established this in the initial application and as incident free carry licensees. Have you ever encountered such questioning upon renewal of your California Drivers License? Do you really need to retest to be sure you are good to drive?-- because we need to ask every 2 years, just to be sure...

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-28-2013, 6:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
I wrote the same exact thing for my renewal that I wrote the first time around: Self defense and the defense of my family. That's it. They accepted it, no problem. No changes are necessary. There's an earlier thread on this in which numerous people reported the same thing.
I searched, but nothing came up. Was the thread in this sub-forum, LTC Discussion?

Your answer implies that you don't understand the issue. The new DOJ form asks you to justify your request to carry for "self-protection". If you are requesting for self-defense, as most of us have, you now are required to explain WHY you need self-protection, including dates, times, locations, and police reports of the incident(s) that drive you to feel you need a LTC.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Would you please find a copy of the "new" DOJ form and post a link or an image? AFAIK, DOJ has not modified the standard LTC app, so "new" seems an odd descriptor.

Oddly, where PC specifies an application, it does not actually say renewals must use the standard form
Quote:
26175. (a) (1) Applications for licenses,
applications for amendments to licenses,
amendments to licenses,
and licenses under this article shall be uniform throughout the state, upon forms to be
prescribed by the Attorney General.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I searched, but nothing came up. Was the thread in this sub-forum, LTC Discussion?

Your answer implies that you don't understand the issue. The new DOJ form asks you to justify your request to carry for "self-protection". If you are requesting for self-defense, as most of us have, you now are required to explain WHY you need self-protection, including dates, times, locations, and police reports of the incident(s) that drive you to feel you need a LTC.
I understand the issue perfectly, dude. My answer is as follows:
You are NOT required by Sac County to explain why you need self protection. Clear enough? I renewed with the new form and used the exact wording I used on the old form two years ago. Seems like you're the one who lacks comprehension today. Now, if you wanna argue the abstractions involved in the strangely reworded DOJ form instead of the practicalities in how SSD is handling renewals with the new form, have at it, but, at least in the case of Sac County, that's a different discussion.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
If you are requesting for self-defense, as most of us have, you now are required to explain WHY you need self-protection, including dates, times, locations, and police reports of the incident(s) that drive you to feel you need a LTC.
No you're not. Not in Sac County, anyway. Ask anyone who's renewed in Sac County since the change. I've already answered you; ask some more people.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Would you please find a copy of the "new" DOJ form and post a link or an image? AFAIK, DOJ has not modified the standard LTC app, so "new" seems an odd descriptor.

Oddly, where PC specifies an application, it does not actually say renewals must use the standard form
Here's the verbiage on SSD's website:

http://sacsheriff.com/organization/o...heriff/ccw.cfm

New application/renewal form:

http://sacsheriff.com/organization/o...cw-doj-app.pdf

The wording in question:

Now, if some of these guys wanna worry about this instead of listening to the numerous members here who've been renewed just fine, that's up to them. They can always email Amber and ask, but they're already pretty busy down there.

Funny thing about all if it is that I recall that notice being on the website AND the DOJ form including that wording before I renewed in June, but now the advisory is dated 7/11/13. Bizarre.
At any rate, the same good cause as ever has been working for people. I believe the original thread may have been in the Sacramento County forum.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 08-28-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 PM

The first time this issue arose was in the "Sacramento: Time to Apply" thread, on page 40 of the thread. Here's the post that clears up everything, including my own bemusement at the time wondering what the "new" wording supposedly was.

Long story short: SELF DEFENSE WORKS AS GOOD CAUSE IN SAC COUNTY.
Additional long story short: Before I start acting all contentious, I should check to see if I've forgotten already having the same conversation and being somewhat confused at the time myself.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 08-28-2013 at 12:42 PM..