Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-23-2013, 8:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Calling All Tech Gurus (No AHCI setting in bios)

Please excuse the cross posting but I have posted this problem all over and have not found a solution. I will post the body of the OP here but please note that there are relevant comments in the following thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/....html#11412792

Original Post
I posted over in the motherboard forums because I figured bios = motherboard issue, but no one was able to help me.. so here I am. I bought an SSD and was trying to go through all of the tweaks to optimize it when suddenly I realized I don't have an option to change to AHCI in my bios. I've checked everywhere, I'm certain the option is not there. Since I haven't been able to find a solution over the past few days I just went ahead and tweaked everything else and installed programs that I wanted on the SSD. At this point, everything is basically done except that, as far as I know, I am still running in IDE.

I ran a check to see if TRIM was enabled, and according to CMD, it is. Am I correct in assuming that even though TRIM is enabled, it cannot function properly unless I'm running in AHCI?

Also, I'd like to know if there is a way to flash my bios to a version that will have AHCI support, because according to my GoogleFu research, this mobo should support AHCI and it seems like it's just an issue of neutered bios. Problem is, I have never had to flash bios and while I know what doing so means, that about sums up my knowledge of the matter. In other words, I have no idea how exactly to flash bios, or if doing so will even solve the problem.

Last question, if I do end up just being stuck in IDE, will this degrade the SSD more rapidly than in AHCI? When Googling my bios issue I have seen it mentioned that running in IDE can prematurely degrade the SSD but I'm not sure if that is just a rumor or what. There is certainly a lot of smoke and mirrors on the web when it comes to SSDs.

Mobo: ASUS P5QL-M EPU (P43)
SSD: Samsung 840 120gb

Thanks in advance!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 08-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
Please excuse the cross posting but I have posted this problem all over and have not found a solution. I will post the body of the OP here but please note that there are relevant comments in the following thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/....html#11412792

Original Post
I posted over in the motherboard forums because I figured bios = motherboard issue, but no one was able to help me.. so here I am. I bought an SSD and was trying to go through all of the tweaks to optimize it when suddenly I realized I don't have an option to change to AHCI in my bios. I've checked everywhere, I'm certain the option is not there. Since I haven't been able to find a solution over the past few days I just went ahead and tweaked everything else and installed programs that I wanted on the SSD. At this point, everything is basically done except that, as far as I know, I am still running in IDE.

I ran a check to see if TRIM was enabled, and according to CMD, it is. Am I correct in assuming that even though TRIM is enabled, it cannot function properly unless I'm running in AHCI?

Also, I'd like to know if there is a way to flash my bios to a version that will have AHCI support, because according to my GoogleFu research, this mobo should support AHCI and it seems like it's just an issue of neutered bios. Problem is, I have never had to flash bios and while I know what doing so means, that about sums up my knowledge of the matter. In other words, I have no idea how exactly to flash bios, or if doing so will even solve the problem.

Last question, if I do end up just being stuck in IDE, will this degrade the SSD more rapidly than in AHCI? When Googling my bios issue I have seen it mentioned that running in IDE can prematurely degrade the SSD but I'm not sure if that is just a rumor or what. There is certainly a lot of smoke and mirrors on the web when it comes to SSDs.

Mobo: ASUS P5QL-M EPU (P43)
SSD: Samsung 840 120gb

Thanks in advance!
I am no guru so I will take a shot at some of this stuff.

FIRST, goto Asus, No, I will. Here is the link: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q...rt_Download_30

You can usually tell what BIOS version you have when you boot up or when you enter your BIOS. You should have a look and see if you need to update or not.

SOMETIMES people like to hide menus within the BIOS like if you hold CTRL and hit F1 or F11 sometimes you get an advanced menu popping up that did not exist. Try that first and see if you have a hidden menu set. Usually I have seen that on Gigabyte boards though.

READ your HOW TO FLASH THE BIOS documentation at the website or that came with the mobo. It is very easy reading and you must follow the directions correctly or else you could have a dead board. When you are done flashing your BIOS you should enter it and reset ALL settings to default and then reboot and then make your changes.

I have flashed probably about a dozen motherboards in my 20+ years that I have been building SOHO machines and networks. I have never bricked one yet but as we get more advanced it gets easier and easier to flash them. Time seems to almost stand still when you start a flash. The reason why is because if ANYTHING happens to the power while you are flashing, you just lost your board. So be careful. And being Asus they might have a safety net for any such thing by now.

I can not tell you much about SSDs and AHCI vs IDE. I can tell you that you need to be careful, you are ONE letter away from STDs and those can REALLY get you BAD and no motherboard replacement guru can fix that...

Good luck and I hope someone else answers your question with more info. I know we got a few smart ones here.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 08-24-2013, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've been trying to find a more recent bios version, but I'm concerned because all I can find from ASUS is P5QL/EPU BIOS 0408 which is dated before the bios version that I have, albeit the one I have is numbered 0221. I'm working up the courage to try it out but I'm really worried about having the wrong version and bricking my system. I do plan to upgrade the mobo/CPU in this system next, but I really just don't have the money to do so any time soon - it's gotta last me a while.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QLEPU/#support_Downl...

I'm "pretty sure" it's the right one, but I guess I'm just trying to wait for absolute certainty.

EDIT: I see our links are the same haha. Smooooooth.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood

Last edited by Meety Peety; 08-24-2013 at 3:18 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Another person mentioned that the CM5571 and retail box mobo are not the same and that I should use the bios update specific to the computer model, found here:

http://support.asus.com/download.asp...fzXPQRwPjUYpUW

Old 08-24-2013, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

You know you can activate AHCI as far as OS by using this tutorial.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ta.html?filter
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg View Post
You know you can activate AHCI as far as OS by using this tutorial.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ta.html?filter
That's only to swap the drivers over. Under normal circumstances, you would first set the bios to either IDE, AHCI or RAID depending on what you are trying to do and THEN install Windows. If the system already has Windows installed, you must either switch the drivers over via Regedit or reinstall Windows.

Basically you are disabling the IDE drivers, forcing Windows to search for the SATA config upon reboot and auto-installing the correct drivers, which after the reboot are now AHCI instead of IDE. It's the method you use to make the switch after Windows has already been installed.

My situation is not how to switch from IDE to AHCI, it's a matter of finding a bios version that supports AHCI, which I believe I have found, just need to confirm. I've flashed the bios already and didn't brick the system so that's the good news. Now I'm waiting on a rather large update for a program to complete and then I will go check the new bios and confirm that AHCI is now present. Cross your fingers!

EDIT: Just checked the BIOS and the update did not fix my problem. Still no AHCI support in BIOS. FML, SMH, facepalm, etc.

Last edited by Meety Peety; 08-25-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

So you don't see these options?

Main -> Storage Configuration -> SATA Configuration -> Enhanced

That makes available this setting:

Configuration Options -> AHCI

These are from the manual for the motherboard, which is typically written for the originally shipped BIOS.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Negative, sata config is not in my bios. I have checked under every page in the bios, its not there. My last guess is that the fine print in the manual suggests that I may have to manually install an ahci driver before the bios will enable the setting and let me change it. I could be wrong, that was just my interpretation of the fine print. I linked a screen shot of what I'm talking about in the link in my op.. somewhere in the comments.
Old 09-22-2013, 2:51 AM

In your BIOS the screen that shows AHIC can be changed to SATA. This will recognize the SSD and let you load Windows..
Go to Bios
Open window that shows the AHIC feature selected
Scroll down and highlight AHIC
Press Enter
A selection will open
Choose SATA
Press Enter
exit Bios
SSD Will show in booting screen
Insert CD
Load Windows..

Last edited by Clever; 09-22-2013 at 2:53 AM..