Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-24-2013, 8:47 PM

Another question came to mind with regards to the bullet button. If I don't go featureless and have to use a bb then what is the best way for quick reloads? Sorry for all the silly questions but I want to gear up my guns so I can be competitive in these sports. Can't wait to move to a free state again!
Old 05-24-2013, 9:23 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
How can you possess an XDm hi cap mag legally in California? LE? The XDm was not available until after the high cap mag ban in Ca, in 2000.
Just a reminder that the magazine law isn't about possession. It is about selling, manufacturing, or importing. You can find a bag of standard capacity mags at a shooting spot on BLM land, and it is perfectly legal for you to take them home. Unlikely, yes. But perfectly legal if it were to happen.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0wnShifT View Post
Another question came to mind with regards to the bullet button. If I don't go featureless and have to use a bb then what is the best way for quick reloads? Sorry for all the silly questions but I want to gear up my guns so I can be competitive in these sports. Can't wait to move to a free state again!
You just need to have a bullet finger
Old 05-25-2013, 1:30 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtabiker View Post
Yes, if you had 5 large cap mags pre-ban then you can have 5 large caps mags, you can rebuild them into other types of mags legally.

There is nothing in the law that says it has to be rebuilt into same for same, it's just not there.

Also, anything over 10 is a large cap mag, there is no language in the law that says it must be rebuilt into the exact same capacity, it's a large capacity mag period.

Honestly the law is very poorly written and they could have included language that prevented that, but they didn't. I'm surprised they they didn't add taking possession of one after the 1999 to the list.

Anyway, this all could be a moot point in the not to distant future.
This isn't right and I don't think its advice you should be giving out. What you fail to differentiate between is "rebuilding" and "manufacturing". While you can legally rebuild a magazine into the SAME magazine, the term rebuild does not apply to exchanging your (hypothetical) beretta mag for an xdm mag. If none of the parts are interchangeable you're not rebuilding, you're MANUFACTURING, which is a felony.

The term rebuild literally means to "make again" while manufacturing is "to create". So yes, the law does say a mag needs to be built same for same. It is implied in the terms manufacture and rebuild.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 05-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Just shoot California legal division. You will be using the same type of equipment as the other shooters in your division. You won't be competing against any of the hi-cap shooters.

All three 3 gun matches down South have a 10 round BB division. If they don't have it up North ask the MD to have one.
Old 05-25-2013, 3:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0wnShifT View Post
There is something called a mag magnet, but it's been made very clear that it's illegal so don't go that route. I have seen where people wear a ring / tool that will pop the mag out. There are also mags that have a little nipple on them that can be used to pop out the prior mag - so you grab your mag for the reload and it has a tool on it to pop out the current mag. Here's a video.
Old 05-27-2013, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Just a reminder that the magazine law isn't about possession. It is about selling, manufacturing, or importing. You can find a bag of standard capacity mags at a shooting spot on BLM land, and it is perfectly legal for you to take them home. Unlikely, yes. But perfectly legal if it were to happen.
Over the years there actually have been people posting here on the forums who have found firearms and asking what to do. I think one of them was hidden in a car they'd bought at auction, another tucked away in an attic, that kind of thing. And at least some of them had standard capacity magazines in the box as well. It happens.
Old 08-25-2013, 7:37 PM

Default + 2 or +3 mag extensions

Are these legal in ca?
Old 08-26-2013, 6:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damineg34 View Post
Are these legal in ca?
It's illegal to modify a magazine to make it accept more than ten rounds.

Otherwise, same rules apply: If you had one that you owned prior to the ban (1/1/2000), you can continue to use it.
Old 08-31-2013, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
How can you possess an XDm hi cap mag legally in California? LE? The XDm was not available until after the high cap mag ban in Ca, in 2000.
All the competition shooter I know and see, all run legal guns and magazines.
Shooters that can not own high cap mags for one reason or another, just shoot, Limited 10, Production, or Single Stack, or shoot IDPA.

Just a heads up.

The HS2000 was exported from Croatia by Intrac and distributed by HSAmerica,
before the year 2000.

It was in 2002 that Springfield got the licensing rights to rebrand the HS2000 under the XD name for US sales.

HS2000 mags were in this state before the law. They are the exact same mag as a new XD mag. So people can use a rebuild kit to keep their old mags running or to eventually replace all the pieces.

Please help support The Calguns Foundation by clicking this link before your next purchase

Old 08-31-2013, 8:39 PM

If you did have a HS2000 before the California mag restriction, yes you are right. But my statement was about the XDm, not the XD. They are not interchangeable.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 AM

I use a little plastic finger pick designed for punching Blackberry keys in 3gun Cal-Legal.
You wear it on middle finger does not interfere with trigger finger so you give the pols "the finger" when you change mags. You do have to drop from shoulder to get enough leverage then remount. With enough practice I can keep up with the standard cap guys, planning reloads while moving and not missing. Remember one shot to the A zone is all you need for rifle or slug (2 for pistol).