Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-22-2013, 8:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Need help with tablet decision

Hey guys,

I am contemplating picking up a tablet, but dont know what to get. iPad or a droid based tablet.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 already, but also have an iPod and my wife has an iPhone, so I have been back and forth between the platforms.

Basically, what I am looking for are pro's/con's for each.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Con: If you have to install iTunes on anything, or can't use it as a drive when plugged in to a computer without a proprietary application...
Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit315 View Post
Hey guys,

I am contemplating picking up a tablet, but dont know what to get. iPad or a droid based tablet.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 already, but also have an iPod and my wife has an iPhone, so I have been back and forth between the platforms.

Basically, what I am looking for are pro's/con's for each.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie
My wife loves her ipad but being unable to drop memory cards in it is a big limit. But if you go android; stick to samsung. A lot of other companies pads are really bad.
Old 08-22-2013, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

yeah, if I go droid based, I am planning on sticking with the samsung. I figure it will go well with my phone.
Quote:
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Is this your Calguns?

Old 08-22-2013, 1:16 PM

I'm also on the fence with this stuff. It's pretty over whelming.
Old 08-22-2013, 1:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I am waiting for the new nexus 7 LTE to come out.
Old 08-22-2013, 1:17 PM

My wife has the Google Nexus 10; I have an iPad Mini.

I'm a Mac user, so I like the interface and compatibility between the iPad and Mac (and my iPod Touch). The iPad is very easy to use, and as a OSX user I found the interface intuitive. The only major bug I've found is that Google Maps has a serious bug. I love the bluetooth interface with my Mac, especially with iTunes, since I have a huge music collection.

My wife likes her Nexus, but sometimes gets frustrated by certain things not working as smoothly as they ought. I find it less intuitive and don't care for the interface as much, but the touchscreen works well. It's got a very nice screen. Being full-sized, it's a bit heavy and can be fatiguing to hold after a while. On the other hand, the larger screen means less eye fatigue and a greater viewing distance, so it's a trade-off.

Basically, 95% of the apps are going to be available on either platform. Productivity apps on either platform are crap. You're better off getting the laptop out. They work well for reading, casual browsing on the internet, casual games, and as remotes and media viewer/controllers. They also can replace a day planner. But a computer replacement they won't be for most people.

If you have more specific questions ask away; I can even get my wife's feedback on her tablet. I will say, I didn't think I wanted one, my wife gave me the iPad and now I use it every day - more than my home desktop.
Old 08-22-2013, 1:20 PM

Get android.

Their open source operating system allows much more advanced app development. Also, you can do a lot more with an android tablet than the ipad. I have a nexus 7 and ipad(from work) and the nexus is much better.

But if you're the type of person who just needs something basic and easy to use, and won't be customizing anything, the ipad will do fine.
Old 08-22-2013, 4:12 PM

What are you using it for? Is there specific apps you need/want to use?

Personally I don't use apple stuff so I can't say much about it.
So in terms of androids, one major divide is Nexus or no Nexus. Each manufacturer has their own custom UI on top of android. Nexus will not have that but it will mean faster OS updates and longer OS update support. If you don't mind tinkering with it, you can get better OS update and support via cyanogenmod. The second divide is 7" versus 10". I found 7" tablet to be easier to carry around and you can hold it longer. It depends on if you need the larger display of the 10" screen.
Nexus 7 (2013) - nice small tablet with a good resolution screen. Good that they added the camera in the back for some simple pictures. very good value for money.
Nexus 10 - larger one with a better processor and screen resolution. I would wait for the end of the year for the tech refresh on this.
Samsung Note 10.1 - similar to the note 2 phone. nice screen and the pen is useful in scribbling notes instead of having to type. OS updates are slow.
Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 - pretty much like the note 10.1 but without the pen functionality.
Asus Transformer- nice and somewhat slim. never found much use for the keyboard accessory.

Personally right now I like the Nexus 7 (2013) since it's got a nice screen and pretty fast processor. Also with the recent OS update, it does make it faster. Smaller screen but I have a chromecast to compensate for it. I use the N7 to control netflix on my TV and can also display high res youtube videos on the TV.
Old 08-23-2013, 3:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit315 View Post
yeah, if I go droid based, I am planning on sticking with the samsung. I figure it will go well with my phone.
In order to go with a "droid", I believe it would have to be authorized through Verizon and officially licensed via Lucas Arts (or can Disney do that too, now?), Verizon would probably charge too much.

"Android" FTW.

I don't trust devices where you have to go into your camera app to see screenshots you took...
Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Oh, I see, we've got jokes....lol.
Quote:

Is this your Calguns?

Old 08-23-2013, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 08-23-2013, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

Go with a nexus 7 Gen 2; great form factor, and is alot better than the iPad mini. If you want to go big, just wait for the Gen 2 Nexus 10

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 09-02-2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbr View Post
Go with a nexus 7 Gen 2; great form factor, and is alot better than the iPad mini. If you want to go big, just wait for the Gen 2 Nexus 10
+1.
Old 09-07-2013, 1:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Samsung tablets are among the most reliable and best BANG for the buck!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-07-2013, 1:21 PM

The general advice is that if you already have Apple products, stay with them. They work together without any effort on your part.

Android is great and has many nice apps. It is a bit harder to get everything working together though.

Since you have both systems, I would advise deciding on one or the other and staying with it.
Old 09-07-2013, 1:24 PM

If you want something that just works everytime you need it to, get the iPad.

iOS is just so stable. I have had the Android "Force Close" so many apps on my old Evo 4G that it sent me to buy apple.

Since then, I have purchased a few iPhones and iPads and have had no such problems.

But on the same note, it depends on if you ever want to jailbreak or root your tablet. The Android has a much bigger fan base that is willing to create custom ROMs. Sometimes they are more stable, sometimes they are less stable. iOS just always works.
Old 09-07-2013, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

get one of each, if you have a Samsung S3 then get an Ipad. I have a Samsung phone and and Ipad, and I'm covered with apps on either side. Prob better to have the Samsung phone, since Android has free tether apps you can find which you can then use to provide data to your ipad.
Old 09-07-2013, 3:11 PM

I just bought the Hisense Sero 7 Pro from Walmart for $129. I have been an iphone user since the 3g, and this is my first experience with Android. I must say, I think I like it better. It's about time for a new phone too, and I'll probably opt for Android. It's nice being able to sync media through Google services... I always found syncing my phone to be a pain, and basically never do it.

The Sero 7 Pro has a quad core processor, and better than 1080p display. It has a TF card slot, and mini HDMI out. I was looking at the Nexus 7 initially, but the features of the Sero 7 seem better, and it's $100 less. I also like that I can get a big box store warranty with it. No silly Apple Care. I can even watch flash videos and upload/download torrents on my tablet. I never could do that on IOS. Android feels more like a computer to me, where IOS feels like a front-end - without the ability to open the hood.

I like that Apple makes the hardware and the software, so they will always have an advantage in that regard. But I like the free side of Android - which seems to embrace open-source much more than Apple. For the money, Android is worth every penny. IOS is good, but overpriced.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Se...emory/24805142

Last edited by FalseProfit; 09-07-2013 at 3:16 PM..
Old 09-07-2013, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Forget that iPad garbage. Stick with android based platform. The tablets are far more consumer friendly with far better features and adaptability than the Mac system/hardware. I had a Zoom and loved it. HDMI output and SD card slot are my prerequisites for any tablet.

WTB:
Canik Stingray C Chrome
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 32" or 34" barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 09-07-2013, 5:14 PM

I always tell people to go with whichever OS they are running on their smartphone (not their PC).
Old 09-07-2013, 7:08 PM

Go wi the iPad. Better resale value on the back end...
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Google Nexus 7

/thread
Old 09-16-2013, 1:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

iStuff - Reliable because they control both the HW and SW.
Expensive for the same reason.
Heavy DRM restrictions if you have your own music and movie rips.

Droid based - Slightly less reliable because many companies make the HW and google makes the OS.
Very open to music and movie rips
Less expensive

Just make sure you get a GOOD (not one size fits all) protective cover for your specific model tab. Otterbox makes some of the best out!

Good luck with your purchase!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 11-08-2013, 4:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Just wanted to update this thread. I ended up with a 32g Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. I love it so far. Everything I use has worked fine, and I even set up the IR blaster to run the tv in my room.
Quote:

Is this your Calguns?

Old 11-08-2013, 8:28 AM

I find this kind of funny with all sorts of partial information. Comments about the iPad not having a SD card reader or HDMI output are only marginally correct. There are simple plug-in adapters for both, plus if you have an Apple TV, you can play your videos wirelessly from the iPad to your nice big screen television through the Apple TV.

Android devices have much more anti-malware software available than the iPad (or iPhone) does. Actually, there is none available for iOS. And yes, Dorothy, there are some nice big holes in the Android OS when users install apps widely available outside of "authorized" installation channels (Google). Big enough holes to have fostered a nice little niche in the security market.

So complain about the iPad for needing to buy extra adapters to suit your special requirements or complain about having to buy/install/maintain anti-malware software in your Android device. At least with the iOS device, you don't have the potentially significant security vulnerability - and subsequent damage to undo - that Android users face. Either way, neither is a perfect answer and each has significant benefits for nearly anyone.
Old 11-08-2013, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

My wife has the Ipad 2 and she loves it for simplicity. She uses it mainly for internet and email. She doesn't load music or vidoes on there so she doesn't use itunes at all.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I love it because it can do more than the ipad. It's go the micro SD card slot so I can drop files into the tablet much easier than the ipad. I don't have to use itunes to load music or videos which is a big plus.

My wife and I were having a similar discussion last night. If we had to buy new tablets right now what would we get??? Wife's response: ipad air. My response: google nexus 7.

Just in case you were wondering. Both my wife and I use the Samsung Galaxy S3 for phones.

LOL

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 11-11-2013, 9:16 PM

I have a Nexus 7 2013 and several iPad as well as a Galaxy tab. It all depends on your usage and if you're tied into an eco system.
If you're not I personally would get a Surface.
I plan on getting the pro. The things the Surface can do is pretty amazing for a tablet.