Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 3:53 PM

been there twice the past month. One on a friday and a sheriff did roll by and gave us the good nod. Didnt bother to get out of his ride. Barely anyone there. Then last saturday and it was packed. I had to ride deep and in dirt roads (4x4) to get to any available spots. There were campers out there too. I suggest a weekday visit to get a decent spot.
Old 07-31-2013, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbology View Post
been there twice the past month. One on a friday and a sheriff did roll by and gave us the good nod. Didnt bother to get out of his ride. Barely anyone there. Then last saturday and it was packed. I had to ride deep and in dirt roads (4x4) to get to any available spots. There were campers out there too. I suggest a weekday visit to get a decent spot.
If the Forest Service was smart, they would actually designate the location as a shooting range. I'm sure they could receive some Federal grant money for it. Other FS lands in this state have designated shooting ranges and even work with private citizens or groups to help maintain them. Wait...were talking about the ENF.
Old 08-02-2013, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIga_Rob View Post
If the Forest Service was smart
Haha yea I think that is too much to hope for.

So is the general consensus that the signs are pretty much BS?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Anyone kind enough to share where on the trail there is to shoot? Heading up there with my brother and his friend for the first time so we are unsure of where to go
Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Can someone recommend a spot here and what kind of targets we should bring? Is there a way to put up our targets?
Old 08-05-2013, 2:03 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

There was a fire over the weekend pretty close to the spots where people go to shoot. If anyone gets a chance to go back up there, please update us if it's open.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopwell View Post
There was a fire over the weekend pretty close to the spots where people go to shoot. If anyone gets a chance to go back up there, please update us if it's open.
I went out with my brother and his friend. I tried to pick up all the brass I could find and toss out all the fired rounds we shot. It's open it appears, but I did not see any signs or people that have said it was closed
Old 08-08-2013, 1:37 AM

There are little turn off points where you can shoot. Once you go you can tell where you can shoot. Just be sure to be facing a hill when shooting and be aware of your surroundings (do not shoot towards roads or campsites and always have a safe backdrop i.e a hill). Bring paper, soda cans, shaving cream etc. Just be sure to clean as much as you can when you are out there. Have fun and be safe.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

I've been itchin to go up to the forest and shoot, but since the I-80 corridor is affected by the American Fire, I may have to consider finding a new spot here in El Dorado NF. I've been turned off by the NFS law enforcement. Are we clear to shoot now?
Old 08-22-2013, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The forest rangers shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 08-23-2013, 1:37 AM

Dont stress about the area. The federal forest service ranger that caused all the fuss is gone. The Deputies that patrol the area are all good people and are way too busy to mess with you over small stuff. Its a nice place to go.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM

The Forest Service is still allowed to enforce Federal Law. The ElDoCo Sheriff stripped the USFS of its authorization to enforce state laws in the county. Make sure you know the regulations for shooting, parking, camping, etc. or do not take a chance. They are enforcing this due to a few bad eggs ruining it for the rest. There are a lot of places to shoot in Eldorado National Forest along Mormon Emigrant Trail/NF5 and the side roads, like Bonetti road. Just please be aware of what you are shooting towards. There have been a few instances where folks are shooting at/above ridge lines or towards a berm leading to a trail. If you do not see what is behind your target then don't shoot. ONLY shoot into an area where there is a hillside in the background, please.
Old 06-14-2014, 8:24 AM

Completely agree. Know and follow the law, and there won't be any issues. Also, take an extra garbage bag and clean up a little more trash than you created.
Old 06-23-2014, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ntShoot View Post
If you do not see what is behind your target then don't shoot. ONLY shoot into an area where there is a hillside in the background, please.
Excellent point. Standing timber is not a back stop. Dont hang your targets on trees or shoot trees because you didnt bring targets. There is a lot of private mixed in with public property, buy a map and know where you are. Just because there is a forest doesnt mean its national forest.

I feel most calgunners are good people so I hate to rant, I only hope anyone that googles this location learns a little.
Old 06-24-2014, 8:29 AM

We should all start bringing a trash bag too... went up to bonnetti last night and it was horrible. it literally looked like someone just dumped a trash bag full of crap into a pile

Ten minutes to fill one bag of crap each would go a long way in keeping it a good spot
Old 07-12-2014, 7:45 PM

Just went out there today. Got out around 10AM and it was already fairly crowded. Had to go out 3 miles to find an open spot and it was covered in used targets, garbage, and empty shells and casings. Definitely bring trash bags when you go and leave with more garbage than you brought so we don't all get banned. For those not familiar, punch these coordinates into google maps and follow the paved road until you find a good spot.

38.727161, -120.527786