Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-16-2013, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

Default Broken I Phone Screen, repair or replace phone?

A friend has an I phone with a cracked screen (I don't know which one, I don't use apple products). She said that the apple store, or maybe it was sprint, offered to swap her phone out for a rebuilt one. She doesn't want to have to try and save her data and hope she got it all backed up. Is there a person or business that can change her glass for her, or can I do it?

The people she spoke to said there is a chance of damaging the phone when the screen is replaced so they don't repair your phone and give it back. Her budget is very low as well. I'll ask her what she was going to be charged for a phone swap. It might be better for her to just backup and swap. She does use a cloud to back up to right now.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-16-2013, 4:58 PM

You dont give us a lot of data to start with. Get all the facts and we can help you better. Generally speaking, iphone 3s is not worth saving. Get a new on. Iphone 4 or 4s can have the glass replace for less than 100 at a repair shop if the LCD still work. Iphone 5 screen cost close to $200 because you cant separate the glass and LCD. I dont think Sprint would not repair anything. They might replace it with refurbished phone. There might be a charge or not. Apple store would repair or exchange new phone for you for an arm and a leg.

Icloud back up is good for phone book and photo, but limited to 5gb. Plug in a computer and run itune for complete back up.
Old 08-16-2013, 9:13 PM

The Apple Store might offer to replace the phone for a fee (less than a new phone) or you find a place to replace the glass (usually about $60). Also check out ifixit.com for DIY guides and parts.
Old 08-16-2013, 9:35 PM
CalGuns Truth Squad
CGN Contributor

/\ Pretty much what he said, but the Apple Store charges at least a hundred bucks to change the front glass (closer to $120, if I remember correctly.)

The new phones are coming out in about three weeks, if she can wait until then. Supposedly, it will be the 5S if she wants to upgrade, or the 5C which may still be an upgrade for her, but less expensive.

You can Yelp or Google iPhone repair and you'll find plenty of places in your area that will change the front glass for $60ish or so, as mentioned above.
Old 08-16-2013, 9:54 PM

A vid on how to do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q74uQdl7V6M
Old 08-16-2013, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

I use to do the 3s phone for $20. Pretty easy. Never worked on the newer ones.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll find out what version she has. That web site for parts looks cool. I may just DIY it.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 PM

Or have her buy a crappy $10 prepaid phone to use for a month or two until apple releases the 5S (supposedly) September 6th.
Then she can get a better/ newer phone
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 PM

I used to repair many iPhones. It's not too hard. A good tutorial site is ifixit.com it has many pictures and detailed tear down instructions.
Old 08-17-2013, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

She has the I phone 4s. She has insurance through the apple store. It would cost her $50 to turn it in and get a refurbished phone. The front panel from "I fix it" is $100.

It looks like it would be best to either backup data and use the apple store or upgrade to the 5s, unless anyone has different suggestions for broken glass on a 4s.

Here is another place that has the front panel for less money, but I don't know if it is an apple product or if they are legit: http://www.repairsuniverse.com/apple...ent-white.html

Last edited by CGT80; 08-17-2013 at 6:13 PM..
Old 08-17-2013, 6:50 PM

Why would she pay $50 more just so she doesn't have to back up the phone? It's ridiculously easy to plug the phone into the computer and backup the phone in iTunes. Apple will walk her through the erasing procedure so her data doesn't get out and then restoring is automated the next time she syncs the refurb with her iTunes. If she has a laptop I'm sure they would be able to walk her thru everything if she brings it with her.
Old 08-17-2013, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Fusion Electronics has replaced two screens for me and three batteries.

They are south east of downtown in Huntington Park.

The cost all depends on the model. Call ahead of time for price and to verify they have the part in stock. I was there Friday and it took 25 minutes to repair my 4S.
Old 08-17-2013, 7:26 PM

amazon is your friend for purchasing replacement parts. make sure it matches the model and carrier. It must have the touch screen attached to the lcd for that model. They run about 25-30$ from what i just saw. (remeber to use the calguns amazon link shop42a.com) Then use the ifixit guide to replace.
Old 08-17-2013, 8:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

In my experience, it's usually better to use the insurance unless you either don't have insurance or don't have the money to pay the deductible. For me Asurion charges me $100 for a replacement which is certainly higher than replacing the screen. The thing is - once you replace the screen, you cannot turn that phone in for warranty (Like if the phone malfunctions, speakers die, etc) and get a free replacement.. because opening the phone yourself voids any and all warranties. Given that smart phones have issues like this all the time, it just seems stupid to purposely void the warranty in an attempt to save at most $50 - unless you really don't have it or don't pay for the insurance anyway. I don't think I've had a smart phone in the last 3 years that I haven't returned for a free warranty replacement. Oh and if you do try to send it in for a replacement, they will happily accept it. And then charge you the full retail price of the replacement that they sent you ($250~$500).

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 08-17-2013, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

It looks like everything is backed up to her cloud. She had photos transfered from her old lg phone to the I phone but I could not see the photos with Itunes. She had the old phone so I managed to get those photos onto her laptop. I told her to just spend the 50 bucks at the apple store and to find someone who knows their stuff, at the store, to verify that everything is covered in the backup to the I cloud. I told her to have them make sure she gets everything back onto the new phone.

She is only one year into her contract with sprint, so we don't want to void the warranty. If she didn't have insurance, I would order from amazon and do her the favor of working on it. It is just as good to let the apple store deal with the headache though.

Dealing with her I phone just reassures me that I really do hate all apple products. I couldn't access the I phone files, other than photos, from my pc. I can see all the files on her android phone, and same for my Bionic. I just don't see a use for a proprietary system that only works well with one manufacturer. People can keep their apples and glocks (although I can shoot them ok and they are better than apple) and I will take my PC compatible electronics and XD pistol, and the smith, and the rugers, and the winchesters, and the benelli, but just not the Glock.

Thanks for all the help guys. I figured someone here would be an apple fan and know more about them than me.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

iphone = gay

Get a better one.
Old 08-19-2013, 4:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Search "unlocked dualcore -tablet" on eBay (and sort by lowest, it won't be i-anything unless "for parts") if they are using a GSM phone and just SIM-Swap. If using CDMA, (or whatever the current equiv. of LTE is now) just look for a used Android. No iTunes needed, ever, self-contained. I don't think you can use non-VZW/non-Sprint/non-Boost/non-Virgin unlocked phones on those carriers easily.

I personally don't trust my data in the (i)cloud like iPhruity-device users... not enough offline maps apps for i-devices because they want to track more than google. Can you set-up a fictitious name for your apple account?

Physical Keyboards run circles around tiny-screens (with no-back button, or one that moves per-application) if you do anything productive on mobile devices anyway.