Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-17-2013, 3:53 PM

Default High power match. Spotting scope

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question or if it should be in the optics section. I am looking for advice and suggestions on a good spotting scope for High Power Rifle match? Any help would be great. Thank you.
Old 08-17-2013, 4:41 PM

Kowa. You can buy it from creedmoorsports.com.

Get the one with the angled body and the long eye relief eye piece.

They also sell the scope stand.

It is good for reading the mirage and you can use it to 1000 yards.
Old 08-17-2013, 5:52 PM

How much are you willing to spend?

If $$$ is a non-issue, go for Kowa 82SV with the LER.

If you are starting out, get a Konus 80. Mine is about 2.5 years old, works as good as a Kowa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilee View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place for this question or if it should be in the optics section. I am looking for advice and suggestions on a good spotting scope for High Power Rifle match? Any help would be great. Thank you.
Old 08-17-2013, 5:56 PM

what is your skill level?if new to the sport then a high dollar scope may not be necessary.
if your shooting short course a $200 scope may be all you need,for that matter even across the course you only need a scope good enough to see your shot placement and mirage.
make sure highpower is what you want to do before investing in a high dollar scope,at this point your in it for the long haul.
Old 08-17-2013, 8:16 PM

I am fairly new to the sport shooting a dozen or so matches over the a couple if years. But would like to get more into it. I really enjoy it. I will look at those suggestions. I have looked on creedmoor before and looked at their scopes but didn't really know what to look for other than the 45 angle. I also did really like their stands. Thank you for the response.
Old 08-17-2013, 8:32 PM

Come to Chabot next week and ill show you the difference in scope quality,plus you can see what everybody else has and shoot the match.
Old 08-17-2013, 9:02 PM

Default High power match. Spotting scope

Where is Chabot and what day is the match? Thank you

Last edited by smilee; 08-17-2013 at 10:30 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 6:53 AM

Chabot Gun Club is in Castro Valley.get on west bound 580 ,exit Redwood Rd...turninig rt on Redwood Rd stay on rd to top of mountain.At the top of mountain there is an area that opens into a parking area(Anthony Chabot Regional ) park entrance.Pass through gate,you will come to a fork in the rd,veer right .The 200yd range(match day Aug 24th) will be the first thing you see located on your left WWW.ChabotGunClub.com

Last edited by highpower790; 08-18-2013 at 6:57 AM..
Old 08-18-2013, 9:35 AM

+1 on the Konus 80 scope. Many high power shooters use them, and they are a good value. Creedmore sells them; probably it would pay to shop around.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...ING_SCOPE.html

Living in Oakdale you are reasonably close to the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, operated by the Folsom Shooting Club. They have a full distance range (actually out to 1000 yards, I think) and run many high power events.

http://www.sacvalley.org/

If you go, especially in the early months of spring and summer, you will rub shoulders with some of the best shooters in the country.

Tim
Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Next highpower match in Sac will be Oct 12th ad 13th
Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

My advice is to get the best scope you can afford. If you can't afford to get one of the recommended scopes, save until you can. I bought something I could get by on then ended up buying one of the recommended scopes in the end. Do yourself a favor and buy once, then forget it. Our shooting club had Kowa's. I ended up with a Bushnell Spacemaster that was made by Kowa in Japan. Be aware that the Spacemaster nameplate is put on a lot of spotting scopes, but most are junk.

Randy
NRA Life Member
Old 08-18-2013, 7:34 PM

Thank you for all the responses. I will look at both the konus 80 and the kowa 82 . It looks like the konus is a bit over 200$ and the kowa would be over 1000$ after getting the eye piece. So might konus and then look to possibly upgrade. I appreciate the info on the other matches and links to the clubs. I will look further into those shoots I will be out if town for the August event. And I do not have a 1000 yrd zero for sac. So I will try to figure that out. Once again thank you!