Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Exclamation CITY OF PLEASANT HILL GUN CONTROL UPDATE

The City of Pleasant Hill is again proposing to regulate firearms and ammunition sales, to effectively put these establishments out of business over the long term. At the Monday, August 19, 2013 City Council meeting, two longtime gun control Councilmembers seek support from the other members of Council to proceed with drafting a new city licensing ordinance (see agenda item here: http://www.ci.pleasant-hill.ca.us/Do...ter/View/11229). This effort follows three years of failed proposals made by these same two Councilmembers that have been beaten back by Cal Guns and other area residents who support 2A firearms-rights.

Ironically, the City recently eliminated its city licensing regulations for massage parlors, in part due to the labor-intensive hassle it created for law enforcement and the fact that it was found unnecessary in light of state licensing for such establishments. But, when it comes to guns, "it's different."

Given the results of last year's City Council election, a majority of PH Councilmembers has publicly stated support for strict gun control measures. Thus I expect they will give a green light to the proposal set forth in agenda item 11.1 -- annoyingly, and strategically, placed as the last item on Monday's agenda, for discussion late in the evening (agenda here: http://www.ci.pleasant-hill.ca.us/Archive.aspx?AMID=30).

However, I also believe it's likely that lifetime NRA member and firearms instructor Councilmember Jack Weir will ask appropriate questions of the Police Chief, regarding what, if any, developments have occurred that suggest need for new regulation (hint: there are none). Interested residents may wish to attend, in order to lend Weir support.

Politics-wise, in the lib Bay Area, this is just another day in the 'hood.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:30 PM

They (antis) just don't stop do they?
Old 08-18-2013, 1:02 PM

More the reason to stay up late and put them anti's in their place.
Old 08-18-2013, 1:19 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

More late night back room Dem deals.
Getting fed up with the political loop-holes!
-g
A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 08-18-2013, 1:40 PM

Pleasant Hill is right up the road from me. I have family and friends there.

Mr. Weir ought to remind the snotty elitists on the city council that the first 10 amendments are INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS, and limit the power of government.

I'm sure that will be brushed aside, in the name of safety, and "for the children".

Funny thing, if they care so much for public safety and "the children", why don't they do something about all of the tweakers and other druggies running around P.H.? A lot of them are in the criminal justice system revolving door - get caught, convicted and let out in a couple of months.

THE OFFICIAL THREAD KILLER OF CALGUNS
Old 08-18-2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra57 View Post

Mr. Weir ought to remind the snotty elitists on the city council that the first 10 amendments are INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS, and limit the power of government.

I'm sure that will be brushed aside, in the name of safety, and "for the children".

Funny thing, if they care so much for public safety and "the children", why don't they do something about all of the tweakers and other druggies running around P.H.? A lot of them are in the criminal justice system revolving door - get caught, convicted and let out in a couple of months.
I think he should start by reading that newspaper article from 1923 that states the CCW law change of that time which is pretty much the same law we have today was intended to keep minorities from having guns; then ask the other members why they want to take more rights away from minorities... Motion to adjourn the meeting?

Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration....
Old 08-18-2013, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acpfan View Post
They (antis) just don't stop do they?
Nope, they don't work for a living they vote for a living so they have all the time in the world.

This reminds me of when we lived in an apartment complex that was about half section 8 (found out after we moved in). The section 8 losers would sit around all day and night watching the other residents and their patterns and then rob us blind. They would even steal all our clothes out of the dryers. My truck was broken into several times.
Old 08-18-2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercf View Post
Nope, they don't work for a living they vote for a living so they have all the time in the world.

This reminds me of when we lived in an apartment complex that was about half section 8 (found out after we moved in). The section 8 losers would sit around all day and night watching the other residents and their patterns and then rob us blind. They would even steal all our clothes out of the dryers. My truck was broken into several times.
I routinely deal with folks like this. They just congregate out front all day. Every time I go by I think "they must be waiting for their ride to work!" That gives me a good laugh.

Why would they work when they know the rest of us will...

Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration....
Old 08-18-2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra57 View Post

Folks - he can't do it by himself. If you show up (I live 100 miles away) - dress well, stay calm, don't regurgitate prior speakers points. The "right people" may have better specifics to offer but off the top of my head:

- why the repeated return to this issue? This has been reviewed by the Planing Commission and the "Super Duper Ad Hoc committee" already. The issue remains the same - "what problem are we trying to solve?"

- why the return to a non-issue? Who is flaunting their clout here?

- what analysis has been done on the potential legal liability? Chicago tried to ban gun ranges and we ended up with Ezell v Chicago. The 2A is incorporated as a fundamental enumerated right. Conduct (including commerce) that is core to that right is protected. Granted CA may not be known for protecting gun rights - but given the damages/fees numerous local governments (including those in CA) have had to pay - again - why the fixation on this/ Who stands to gain? Precisely what type of scrutiny analysis have you conducted?

- Are there no other issues the council needs to address? What other issue has been repeatedly raised, dropped. then raised again? Dear Council Member - please provide a clear, concise explanation of why this is happening yet again? Are you prepared to make all of your communications available? These folks seem to have extraordinary access to / influence with you - can you explain why?

Why is the City looking at singling out an industry that is highly regulated, aligned with civil rights and family values and generates fees/revenues for the City? If massage parlors are OK...

Again - logic and civility will help expose the clowns/cowards. And the next time you have an election, maybe exercise better judgment on who you pick. Just sayin...
Old 08-19-2013, 7:25 AM

Exactly^^^.
Old 08-19-2013, 7:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

100% ^^^^^^
Old 08-19-2013, 7:59 AM

I'm out of town til next week, otherwise I'll attend the meeting.

Guys, if you have time, just like Drivedabizness said, we need to show up & oppose this.
Old 08-19-2013, 8:08 AM

Mr. Weir ought to remind the others that they waste the public's time and money by offering useless agenda. He should point this out after asking all the proper probing questions of the CLEO. He should then turn the heat up on programs that would help the community.
Old 08-19-2013, 8:11 AM

I believe the first paragraph of the authors' premise is a lie:

"In the last decade, our nation has seen an increase in gun violence including incidents at schools and other places of public gathering not seen in previous decades."

I do believe the murder and assaualt rates with firearms have actually declined over the period of TWO decades.

How on earth can this piece of city regulation stand when the very foundation of the proposal is faulty (if not a down-right deception)?
Old 08-19-2013, 1:49 PM

Anyone is going to the meeting tonight?
Old 08-19-2013, 3:17 PM

Guys - for those who do show up - may divvie up the salient points?

What, exactly, is the problem you are trying to solve? This issue has been beat to death and yet you keep coming back to it with no groundswell of public support.

Why does this single special interest group get such special treatment?

What legal / Constitutional analysis has been done in light of the possible liability issues for the city?

Is Council willing to make all their communications with these groups available? They will be asked for in discovery if a suit gets filed.

Don't you have more important business to attend to?
Old 08-20-2013, 3:08 AM

Dam I am at wk and wish I knew this was going on I would have went. Is there a group on Calguns from PH that gets together on gun issues? How can I join or how can we start a group. I live by a park with crazy *** drunk homeless guy and always yells F*^^%## at the small kids walking by I have called the police and nothing is ever done about him. He is a time bomb waiting to happen. I see it all night at work in Oakland we need to nip this in the but before it gets worse that's why I moved to PH. Sry a little off topic lol
Old 08-20-2013, 6:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Outcome?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
Outcome?
It was 4-1 vote (among council members) to proceed with Jack Weir was the only one voted against it.

This matter will come back again sometime in September.

Guys, we need another big crowd on September. We've done it before & let's do it again!
Old 08-20-2013, 3:01 PM

Basically our friend Rico got grandfathered (good).

They already had to get a permit from police so I'm not sure what impact that will have.

The rub will be in the zoning. It may very well be that the way the zoning is set up, the practical impact will be that no new gun stores can open. But with the number of stores they have (unlike what was argued in the Alameda County litigation) I don't think we'll be able to argue that the net impact is to "ban" gun stores.

Link to article -(not very objectively written IMHO):

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_2...costatimes.com

The only way to get David and Michael's attention on this will be at the ballot box. Michael was an incumbent but actually received fewer votes than Weir in the last election. If the residents want to improve their Council, they will have to rally behind someone who is well-qualified, organized and committed.
Old 08-20-2013, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGirlsHusband View Post
I believe the first paragraph of the authors' premise is a lie:

"In the last decade, our nation has seen an increase in gun violence REPORTING, including incidents at schools and other places of public gathering not seen in previous decades."

I do believe the murder and assaualt rates with firearms have actually declined over the period of TWO decades.

How on earth can this piece of city regulation stand when the very foundation of the proposal is faulty (if not a down-right deception)?
Now its a little more correct.
Old 08-20-2013, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We actually make progress when we visit Councilmembers in advance of meetings.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 09-08-2013, 4:45 PM

Well, crap. If I'd been paying more attention, I'd have been at the meeting. It's been a rough month, with a family member being very ill, then passing. My husband and I had to make a trip to Idaho to help my sister and attend the funeral, so I've been distracted, to say the least. I saw the proposed ordinance signs on a signboard on the corner of Pleasant Hill Rd and Taylor Blvd today, and checked the Pleasant Hill website.

Now, why the hell does the city of Pleasant Hill need more laws governing the sale of firearms and ammunition? Doesn't the city council have anything better to do? When you have an agenda, there can never be enough laws.

I'll do my best to be at the public meeting.
Old 09-08-2013, 5:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The antis in government have sunk their teeth into our buttstocks and are as tenacious as a pitbull protecting its family. Get used to it. Won't matter how many times we beat them on the head (metaphorically speaking), they are not going to give up until we show them by votes that we will not stand for the shenanigans (), of course we are still outnumbered by those who favor feel good, do nothing laws, put forth by the nanny state. Or, they win and get these BS measures past the gov and the courts. But of course they will then find something else to restrict, ban, and confiscate.

It's all about control.

I survived the great CG of 2015
Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666