Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 6:13 PM

Cool Where to shoot outdoors..?? (near Sacramento)

Hey ya'll,
I'm in Sacramento and looking for a place close by that I can shoot outdoors. NOT an outdoor range, but a place (maybe BLM land) where I can hike out a ways and shoot. Maybe setup some targets and shoot against a hill or something. Maybe even pitch a tent and camp out there while I do it for a few days.

Does anyone know of such a place? If so, would you mind giving me directions?

Also, I'm brand new to the forum and excited to meet all of you. I wouldn't be opposed to having anyone join me. I'm really interested in setting something up where I can shoot and maybe even run drills. I've never done anything but shoot at a range, but I LOVE the idea of camping and shooting. Near Sacramento if possible. THANKS in advance!
Old 07-11-2013, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome.

How far do you want to drive?
There is Spenceville out by Beale AFB, Forest Hill past Auburn, and Sly Park up towards Ice House. I am sure there are more spots but I shoot at a rifle club in Lincoln.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 32" or 34" barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9

Last edited by Jet Setter; 07-11-2013 at 10:56 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

Forgot. Check out this sticky. This will be a great help.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=738334
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 32" or 34" barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9

Last edited by Jet Setter; 07-11-2013 at 10:56 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 AM

I wouldn't mind driving up to 3 hours. But I'd prefer a drive less than 2 hours.

That sticky you linked me was excellent. The little 'tree' symbols are places to shoot outdoors, right? But is it an outdoor range? Or is it somewhere I can park, hike away from the road, pitch a tent, camp and shoot?
Im looking for that sort of thing.
Some place I can camp, and be away from others so not having to worry about bothering other people. An outdoor range would be okay but I don't know if I could camp there and I want to set up my own targets and run drills, etc.
Old 07-12-2013, 3:20 AM

http://goo.gl/vZ0ES

Last edited by highcenter; 03-28-2014 at 6:56 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 3:06 PM

I personally like the area by Sly Park off of highway 50. Its along the Mormon Emigrant Trail (which closes during the winter FYI) and is pretty cool. It's not a range but more of a flat area where some people have made a burm for a safe shooting backdrop. I'm not too sure about camping around there but I think you can, it's in the El Dorado National Forest so I don't see why not.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 PM

Default Shooting outdoors

I live near placerville and know alot of the back country ,..one place alot of locals go is cable road in camino ,....hard to give directions a map is easier,.. but it goes onto forest property ,...forest service does patrol the main road (dirt in forest area) but there only there maybe 9 or 10 am to about 5 pm ,....and our shefiff (el dorado co.) believes in the constitution , so as long as your not just being totally stupid , its all good ,..there are some dirt bike riders out there sometimes ,..mostly weekends ,...but plenty of land to find your own spot especially if you walk ,....camping is ok too,..I've slept out there several times ,...there are quite a few wild things out there ,.definatly,...lol,.. also there are a couple of private propertys out there but they are used to people shooting out there ,...just respect thier land and don't shhot thier way and your fine,...from camino I'd say its 3 or so miles til you hit dirt on cable rd ,..then another mile or so before anywhere descent to shoot,.......quite a few different dirt roads to go out and find a good spot,....not the smoothest rd but 2wd is no problem...

have fun and happy camping ,...P.S> (there are bear and mountain lion here)