Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-11-2013, 4:23 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default How Things Work In **California** - Bills, Laws, Legislators

Probably ought to be 'How things are SUPPOSED to work' …

This sticky consolidates several other stickies, so we can cut down the number in the 2A forum.

HOW A BILL BECOMES LAW - In California, how does a bill become law?
Shortest possible summary: Bills are submitted, reviewed by committees, voted on by whole house, move to the other house, repeat committees and full house, go to the Governor - that's usually in September.
HOW TO READ THE BILLS - Beginner's Guide to Reading California Bills and Bill Pages
Please use the NEW web site - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...chClient.xhtml
INDEX TO FIND THE CALGUNS THREADS ON THE CURRENT CROP OF BILLS
2015 California Bill INDEX THREAD - look here to find the Calguns threads about bills
HOW TO CONTACT LEGISLATORS ABOUT A BILL
Lots of ways in 2013

The Official Contact pages -
--- Senate -- senate.ca.gov/senators
--- Assembly -- assembly.ca.gov/assemblymembers

And, the GOVERNOR http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

The bill pages themselves have a tab in the top right corner.

Firearms Policy Coalition - http://firearmspolicy.org/

Ruger has a page -- http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Smith and Wesson has a page -- http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757992_image

NRA Members Councils of California has a page -- http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml
HOW DO I FIND OUT HOW A CALIFORNIA LEGISLATOR VOTED?
Sacramento BEE used to have a page but they dropped it. Chamber of Commerce and AFL-CIO have special-interest pages, but nothing specializing in gun bills.

WHAT DOES NOT WORK IN 2013 CALIFORNIA
INITIATIVES - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=156804

An 'initiative' gets OUR bill on the ballot, for the voters to pass or reject.

A 'referendum' gets a law passed by the Legislature on the ballot, for the voters to pass or reject.

Summary: much as we would like it to be different, we don't have the votes.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-23-2014 at 4:51 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 4:23 PM
Super Moderator

RESERVED

the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Old 02-11-2013, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the post Lib! Hopefully this will calm some folks down a little. This kind of stuff isn't passed overnight like it did in New York. The legislative process takes time.

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 02-11-2013, 4:50 PM
Super Moderator

Anything else we need to keep track of?

Old 02-11-2013, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Anything else we need to keep track of?
Maybe of all the defeatists and hardcore pessimists (KC's the sole exception ), but other than that it's a big waiting game at this point. The antis went and showed their hand, let's wait a bit before showing ours (and prepare the giant judicial can of whoop-*** while were at it).

Remember that time is on our side folks, as it's always been. We as a species have a notoriously short memory span when it comes to horrific events such as Sandy Hook and the political knee-jerking that follows. I say give it one more month at least and guns will be on the back-burner where they belong (at the federal level at least).

Don't lose hope and don't lose heart.

Give them nothing, but take from them, everything! - Leonidas, 300

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 02-20-2013, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint7 View Post
This needs to be stirred again come voting time in 2014. Everyone that has spoken out against the 2A does not deserve to hold office. We are not peasants or slaves... they are not our masters... they are our employee's. Time to make big changes in CA as well as the house and senate of our nation.
I agree when that time comes we should have a sh#t list to reference and maybe the voting record of each candidate.
Old 02-20-2013, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

You bet your *** I'm gonna remember who's anti 2a next time it's time to go to the polls.

Show your friends your 1911's and your enemies your glocks!
Old 02-22-2013, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good info

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms. Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 03-01-2013, 4:41 PM

great info...

i have faith in our system of government.. its the people i've lost faith in.
Old 04-22-2013, 4:04 PM

I definitely need to school myself more on this subject, thanks for posting this very helpful thread.
7/22/16 Interview
Old 05-29-2013, 7:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Bookmarked......Thanks.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 08-06-2013, 9:14 PM

Good info, tag
Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 PM

Well I'm new here and probably to optimistic. But I got turned on to the whole issue last year when our good friend Yee introduced SB374. I was concerned and decided to vote with my pocket. You know the saying bullsh** walks and money talks. I'm a lifetime NRA member and never even owned a semi-auto. So I went out and picked up a few an loved them, introduced some friends to shooting and got them buying some too. I started looking into the whole process and realized just how stupid I have been for not paying attention for so long. So ya I feel like an idiot (whats new there). Any how I was looking for ways to get our representatives to protect our rights and realized once they are voted in unless there is a huge amount of letters and calls we wont effect much change. With that I wrote my first letters last year to my officials and while I don't believe I alone made any difference it made me at least feel better after finding this forum knowing I wasn't the only one. Also I realized my officials where not responding, low and behold my State Senator was Calderon (only representing my district after the lines where re-drawn). Guess he was too busy with back door deals to worry about those kind of things. But I notice we are having a special election this year for my area which is now District 32 for the State Senate due for Vote June 3, 2014. I got to thinking maybe we can have more effect on our areas getting to our politicians before they get elected. Calling them and asking them how they stand and expressing our opinion now when they need us and posting their stances on this forum. Maybe build a voter guide we can use to spread the word in our areas. It's a lot of work and I really don't have the time for it but to be honest I think it's worth making the time after everything I've seen.
I've talked to the aid for one of the leading candidates in my area I'm expecting a call from Mendoza (D) in the next few days. I have a feeling I already know his stance on a lot of these policies but who knows. But I'll try to reach out and contact the others running for that office and post their answers too. I'm hoping that by us as constituents reaching out to them instead of the larger groups lobbying maybe we can have more influence on how they vote later. Hell I'll even through in a small contribution. I don't know if this sounds like a good idea to others or if anyone would feel up for this but I would love to hear input about it. Maybe if we can make a small dent this June we can refine it and try more in November. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this though so I'll probably find out the hard way.
Also with the state being so heavily Democrat it seems like we are shooting ourselves in the foot if we just go Republican, if we can get a Democrat to stand up for our 2A rights we have a better chance in some of the heavy blue areas. Just a thought, I'm sure I'll take a beat down on that one.
Thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 9:13 AM

This is a great thread. I am ready and waiting to vote this year.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 9:51 PM

Got this link today from NRA, hope it helps. It's only for state Senate and Congress and you can enter your address to find out who is your district.

http://www.nrapvf.org/grades-endorse...alifornia.aspx

Guns are like chips, you can't stop at just one!
Old 07-23-2014, 8:30 PM

I believe we gun owners need to vote like gun owners. We also need to encourage other gun owners to vote like gun owners. Any gun owner who votes Democrat is voting to lose their rights and take away the rights of their fellow gun owners.
The Democrats in this state vote along party lines, and they're supporting the agenda of the Democrat party at the national level. Whatever Obama, Hillary Clinton, Bloomberg, Feinstein, Schumer, Boxer, etc... want is exactly how your state Democrats will vote.

For example, here is the cast of characters associated with AB 1014:

AB-1014 Gun violence restraining orders.
Introduced by Assembly Members Skinner (D) and Williams (D)
(Principal coauthor: Senator Jackson (D))
(Coauthors: Assembly Members Alejo (D), Bloom (D), Bonilla (D), Bonta (D), Buchanan (D), Dickinson (D), Levine (D), Lowenthal (D), Rendon (D), Stone (D), Ting (D), and Wieckowski (D))
Old 11-05-2015, 9:57 AM
Super Moderator

Default And if you are considering running for office ...

you should already be aware that money is important.

Here's an article on money and politics, for prospective California legislators: http://calmatters.org/articles/money...idates-listen/
Quote:
High on the agenda: money.

“If you simply take the time and the courtesy to have a conversation with us, and figure out where we agree and where we don’t agree, you might avoid a multimillion dollar I.E. (campaign) against you,” Carlos Marquez, political director of the California Charter Schools Association, said to the roomful of candidates.

“I think that goes for a lot of the folks here,” he said, gesturing across the panel leading a session called, “How to ace a PAC interview.”