Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-22-2013, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default Anyone have a P5N73-AM new in box? NM, it is ALLLLLLL good.

So I will cut to the chase.

I ordered a NEW OTHER P5N73-AM from fleabay and of course since I REALLY needed it it bit be in the arse. They said that it looked like new. I get it and it is warped, used, has a cpu already mounted along with ram on the side and it is an Intel D945PLM. I guess they were not smart enough to take it out of the plastic and look closely at it. SO I WAS hoping to be able to replace a broken P5N73-AM that did not post and instead I get this POS. So how hard would it be to get a new mobo that uses the same cpu and ram ( P4 3.2ghz SL7PW, PC2-6400).

I mean, would I be subjected to the same rules that apply when I get a mobo with a different chipset and when I turn on windows I have a 75% chance of it shooting itself in the head until I reinstall it? Also, this is Vista premium Home or whatever...

Anyone know a good substitute mobo off the top of your head that might be available? I was hoping to have to pay around $60 and maybe have it this week, but instead I have paid $55 and have a dead board. Damn fleabay...

I think this is an LGA775 board. Can I still find boards that are just LGA 775 and get them and all should be well?

***EDIT

Hiren's boot disk 15.2 worked like a champ with his FIX HD CONTROLLER script...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire

Last edited by stilly; 07-31-2013 at 1:51 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 6:36 PM

Technical Answer:

What you really have to worry about with swapping motherboards is the storage controller.

Technically, you can make anything work. You have to change the drive Windows is using for the storage controller to the generic IDE driver and shut the machine down. After that boot up the drive on the new hardware and make sure the drive's in IDE mode. You may also be able to get AHCI to work. This assumes there's no RAID involved, RAIDs are entirely different beast. It's also possible to do this on a dead board like you have, but the complexity escalates.

Otherwise you're stuck trying to find something that has the same Nvidia chipset as your dead board.

However, it'll be a PITA to do any of that if you're not familiar.

Practical Answer:

Buy a new computer. Bite the bullet and spend the time to get the machine back to where you need it to be VS condemning yourself for eternity to maintaining obsolescence.

Generally, if you need license keys, you can extract them from the registry on the old drive. If you need data it's easy enough to copy over.

Last edited by Fizz; 07-22-2013 at 6:39 PM..
Old 07-22-2013, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

To be honest, I think it'll be cheaper and quicker if you simply buy a new copy of Windows and install it on the motherboard you have now (or get a new better one).

Windows 8 system builder version is only $89.74 on Amazon.com.
Old 07-23-2013, 1:34 AM

lol I may be able to help i have an old single core p4 on a 775 board. it was my first pc i built and dam if it wont die. Im not sure what ram i have in there but it all works just fine last time i hit the go button.