Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Default Jacks/ Cottontails/ Botflies ?

Ok , i am from san bernardino down in so-cal . I am very excited to finally get out and employ my firearms to put some food on my table . So i go down to the local sporting (not so) goods store and pick up my license for the coming season and also my upland game so i can hunt fluffy things ..... only to get my dreams dashed by some guy at the counter who tells me that this time of year botflies are rampant in cottontails and jacks . I had heard of botflies but never looked into it . Jumped on youtube , found a video for botfly extraction , now that i am thoroughly disgusted , i need to know . Are botflies really that common ? is it that big of a deal if the rabbit does have a botfly ? are there any ways to remove the botflies and the meat still be edible ?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Lol yup it's pretty gross, I'm guessing after you have the rabbit just squeeze out the botfly?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

If you search this has been discussed alot in here. IIRC the bot flies won't make you sick or kill you but they are gross. Just remove them. Maybe cut a bit around where it was. Just make sure it's cooked well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
Short attention span much? That was a 45 second story and every detail was gold. Go back to twitter if your brain has a 140 character limit.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 AM

Sorry , i should have poked around a little bit first . Disgust blurred my mental scope . Thanks for the info guys .
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
If you search this has been discussed alot in here. IIRC the bot flies won't make you sick or kill you but they are gross. Just remove them. Maybe cut a bit around where it was. Just make sure it's cooked well.
After you kill n clean the first couple its no big deal. I found the best was is just get it over with quickly. The hide comes off pretty easy and I always wash them off before putting in an ice chest........just work upwind ...

NOT sure why, but them dam things stink really bad ??? I ve gutted hundreds of birds n beasts ...for some reason them things stink more than anything else. Have fun! I love to deep fry them like chicken Yum!
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Old 07-18-2013, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sanders View Post
California wild rabbits have a lot of health issues.

Larry,

Please direct me to the reports/records/information that backs-up your statement. I would appreciate it.

Eric

Last edited by Eric Mayer; 07-18-2013 at 5:10 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 5:02 PM
Banned

Bottflies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tPO5fNlGvA

Z
Old 07-18-2013, 6:08 PM

I kill and eat a ton of rabbits a year and I have never got sick. I have already killed a few this year with massive botfly larvae in the neck area and I still ate them. It really doesn't get into the meat. I will say though I am grossed out by them every time. Nothing like seeing a chunk of fur wiggling around on the ground all on its own.

Brandon M.

Last edited by StraightShooter; 07-18-2013 at 6:14 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 7:41 PM

The interesting thing about bit fly larvae is that it is in the insect's best interest to maintain a clean wound for if infection sets in, the larvae is compromised.

Therefore, while disgusting they may appear to be, they should pose little to no risk to you when harvesting and consuming.

I think its one of the more interesting parasitic relationships. Also, I have an adult rodent bot fly preserved and it is a beast in terms of size.
Old 07-18-2013, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuknBucks View Post
...... I love to deep fry them like chicken Yum!
Not too much otherwise they'll pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShooter View Post
I kill and eat a ton of rabbits a year and I have never got sick. I have already killed a few this year with massive botfly larvae in the neck area and I still ate them. It really doesn't get into the meat. I will say though I am grossed out by them every time. Nothing like seeing a chunk of fur wiggling around on the ground all on its own.
Do you deep fry your botfly too or eat them raw?
Old 07-18-2013, 8:50 PM

Quote:
the only time I would eat a rabbit is if I raised it myself.

California wild rabbits have a lot of health issues.
I've heard the same. Got me plenty of rabbits last year..and ummm well didnt end of eating them. Two just didnt look right.

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM

Last year I found 2 that were infested. I tossed them. Also I noticed during the warmer month some of the rabbits I found were covered in ticks. Now I wait till the first frost. Tick free and beautiful coats....
Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 PM

Oh also always wear gloves during cleaning. Open wound on hand will spread the infection...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Thanks guys .... going to lost lake area tomorrow . gonna find out for myself if they taste good fried ....
Old 07-19-2013, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
Thanks guys .... going to lost lake area tomorrow . gonna find out for myself if they taste good fried ....
Good luck on the hunt!
Old 07-19-2013, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I haven't hunted rabbits in awhile but years ago I would feed them to my dogs and cats. My cats didn't really like them but my dog did.
But what are the health issues you mentioned, I will be going rabbit shooting soon.
Old 07-19-2013, 4:42 PM

Those things sure are gross!

I only hunt rabbits in the winter.
I hunt in Lassen and Plumas county. It can get cold up this way!

Take care
Abenaki
Old 07-19-2013, 5:57 PM

Last year I hunted lost lake. Found some bunnies with tumors in their heads. Check your catch... Good luck. That terrain is tough, when you get off the trail it gets super thick. Besides the lake stinks to high heaven.
Old 07-22-2013, 9:30 AM

Well ... i got skunked at lost lake . The bunnies didnt come out at all the whole time we were there ( 3 hrs ) then as soon as we jump in the truck to take off ... bam two run across the parking lot . Then while scouting an area we were interested in hunting during deer season ..... i stumbled into a weed farm hidden in the trees . oh fun .
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM

From what I have heard for and old dfg guy he said one a ribbit is cleaned and skinned you have nothing to worry about. According to him they live in the skin not the meat of the animal. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative13 View Post
From what I have heard for and old dfg guy he said one a ribbit is cleaned and skinned you have nothing to worry about. According to him they live in the skin not the meat of the animal. Just my 2 cents
Yep, every one I've ever seen came off with the skin, and the meat showed no signs of the larva ever being there.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM
CGSSA Associate

I don't recall seeing a jack with bot flies, then again I've never looked for 'em or worried about ticks either. Once they're skinned we inspect to see if there are issues to the meat, maybe once a year we'll find one with boils or tumors, that one becomes food for the buzzards.

Last edited by zio707; 07-22-2013 at 3:51 PM..
Old 07-22-2013, 3:46 PM
Banned

If it has bot flies I let it lye.