Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-21-2013, 9:08 AM

Default Cammo or No Cammo

Fellow Hunters-

I want to get some input on what you all use in the field. I know some people are major advocates of camouflage others use jeans and comfortable clothes. They say it's a waste of money. When it comes to DEER/ELK/Hog or heck even other animals- what has your experience showed you?

Do you wear the appropriate cammo for the environment or are old school and wear jeans a shirt. Lastly, doesn't the whole bright orange cap/vest deter from the whole cammo thing?

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Old 07-21-2013, 9:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It depends on the game, conditions and just what I grab out of the closet. For waterfowl I would never think of hunting without camo unless I was jump shooting along a creek. For deer and other large game, it just depends.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 AM

For the most part I wear camo for all of my hunting. It's what's in the hunting grab n go bags that I keep all together. About the only time I don't wear camo for hunting is one day dove outings. Then it's shorts and t-shirt time.
Also with my camo clothes I don't mind if they get dirty or stained with blood. It browns out and blends in.
I do have different styles of camo for different terrains.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

In our testing camo is a huge factor in detection.

Camo I recommend for hunting

Woods

1 Marpat
2 US woodland
3 Flektarn
4 OD green shirt coyote brown pants.

Dry open field/arid

1 Marpat
2 Desert Brush
3 DPM
4 kaki shirt and pants.

I made this list with saving money and effectiveness in mind. There are very effective hunting patterns out but cost so much!

PUREMMA
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY
Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Comfort is #1 no matter what color or pattern. Camo is really up to you. Camo does nothing to make you a better hunter. Movement will get you busted faster than not wearing camo. (there's a video somewhere with a guy calling yotes in a Santa Suit)
You'll get many different responses. Some just like to get dressed up to go hunting in all the high dollar stuff you see on tv. Some use cheap bdu's and shirts from the Surplus Store. Some guys wear full ghillie suits. I'll say its not critical as long as you are wearing earth tones and not a white t-shirt, you should be good. Blaze orange is for People to see YOU, deer dont see colors like we do, supposed to be more like a grey color to them.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM

When I go deer, bear, hog hunting I wear both jeans and cammo depending on the mood I'm in. I always hunter orange. I'm mostly worried about someone else shooting me by accident.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Follow the laws- if the state / area you hunt in require blaze orange, then follow the requirement to the letter of the law.

I believe that the deer family see in black and white so the color does not matter as much as your light reflection.

Modern soaps are great at leaving a film to reflect light. So items seem brighter thus cleaner.

You can buy hunting soap that minimizes the IR and light reflection.

I have not had any issues wolith wearing blaze orange while hunting out of state.

My friend camo up for turkey when they hunt on private land.
Hopefully private land prevents other hunters from wandering around the same area.

On public land, I prefer to be seen as a hunter looks like a hunter.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Like DirtyDave mentioned a Santa suit.Seems it was Johnny Stewart in the video.The video expresses how much staying still works.
I trust in the different camos I use.They do work if you have to move.During archery season,I walk up on alot of animals with camo and especially a face cover.Scent cover and having the wind right is more important.I have had deer noses at the tip of my arrow literally and blew on their nose to get them to explode away from me.That is exciting by the way and I laughed my head off.
Keep anything that has glare covered as well.When it moves,it will be detected instantly.
Leafy wear is not good when there is no other foliage.It moves in the breeze and here in the desert,stands out bad.A light brown or grey shirt works good.Black of any kind works terrible,where ever I have been.Leave clothes at home that have a UV resistent type finish.It stands out to game as well.
For big game with rifle I use a camo facemask and a Cabelas outfitter vest over my coat.It is the blaze orange with broken twig lines in it.
In the desert a facemask and a old Carhart coat or tan shirt works fine.
Use scent free soaps on you and your clothes.If someone washes your clothes with fabric softener it is useless for hunting in the future.
Good luck hunting
Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Comfort is #1 no matter what color or pattern. Camo is really up to you. Camo does nothing to make you a better hunter. Movement will get you busted faster than not wearing camo. (there's a video somewhere with a guy calling yotes in a Santa Suit)
You'll get many different responses. Some just like to get dressed up to go hunting in all the high dollar stuff you see on tv. Some use cheap bdu's and shirts from the Surplus Store. Some guys wear full ghillie suits. I'll say its not critical as long as you are wearing earth tones and not a white t-shirt, you should be good. Blaze orange is for People to see YOU, deer dont see colors like we do, supposed to be more like a grey color to them.
This is true about the movement. I was hunting early morning yesterday and two hunters came in after me and parked down the road a ways. About 30 mins later I hear all the familiar sounds coming from a fox pro. I look over and I can see movement on the far away hill with my naked eye. Look thought the binos and range them with a laser at 1064 yards. The reason I could see him was because his remote was not working well and he kept putting his hand up in the air to get reception. If I can see someone in camo at 1000 yards there in no way a coyote won't.

Actually here's a vid I took through the sporting scope, lol.

Brandon M.

Last edited by StraightShooter; 07-21-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Old 07-21-2013, 11:50 AM

The biggest thing is movement. Don't move or stand out in the open and you're good. Also, try some scent de-senters. Ya stank scares the smart animals away.

But I sometimes wear camo.
Coyotes- deffinetly
pig- never hunted, but I don't think it matters because you're on the move alot
bobcat- never hunted them, but I would wear camo
Deer- I wear camo
rabbits- no, I just wear comfy pants and a white or blue workout shirt
dove- no, same as rabbits
quail- nope
ducks/geese- I don't hunt waterfowl because geese are my favorate animal, but I would wear camo if you do.
bear- sounds like a good idea, never hunted them

Also, I used to just use the cheapest camo top I bought at Big 5, but then my mom got me pretty nice ones for Christmas. They don't seem to make a differnece tho. The cheap stuff worked perfect.
Old 07-21-2013, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

This argument is retarded and ill tell you why.... Ready?

Both prey and predators use it!
I am done

PUREMMA
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY
Old 07-21-2013, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShooter View Post
This is true about the movement. I was hunting early morning yesterday and two hunters came in after me and parked down the road a ways. About 30 mins later I hear all the familiar sounds coming from a fox pro. I look over and I can see movement on the far away hill with my naked eye. Look thought the binos and range them with a laser at 1064 yards. The reason I could see him was because his remote was not working well and he kept putting his hand up in the air to get reception. If I can see someone in camo at 1000 yards there in no way a coyote won't.

Actually here's a vid I took through the sporting scope, lol.
Ok, that video was hilarious. I may be new to hunting but I know that's wrong.
Old 07-21-2013, 5:08 PM

If your just shooting from the road jeans work, but to actually hike around in during the summer, I would say no.
If you dont want to wear camo just wear earth tones for your pants and shirt. Like most hunters know, wind and movement is usually what get you caught.
Old 07-21-2013, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreyman2013 View Post
DEER/ELK/Hog or heck even other animals
deer - if you google, you will find that there is scientific evidence that other than something reflective of UV light, deer only sees shades of gray. Blue or anything reflective will get a deer's attention more, other than smell. With that said, anything that breaks up solid outlines that seem out of place in the wilderness will spook a deer.

hogs - their noses work a whole lot better than their eyes; cover your scent. They don't care if you're dressed in camou or not, but don't stand out against the surroundings either.

elk - I haven't hunted elk, so I can't tell you there. But if they come seeking another bull when you're bugling, that says a lot about their care for your camou clothing right there.

In high pressure areas, anything that walks upright is going to spook the game. In low pressure areas, the animals will walk right up to you.
Old 07-21-2013, 5:48 PM

If you want camo for everything on the cheap get one set of surplus multicam. My bro has a set and he can use it for just about any terrain. Holding still is important as well. As is hunting into the wind.

You can use orange but the downside is if you are putting a stalk in on an animal you may get a crazy shooting over your head (had this happen) or decide to sit a few yards upwind of you and get the pig you were waiting for (also had this happen). No orange and you do risk someone not seeing you, taking a shot and hitting you obviously. I generally like an orange cap for public land unless I am hunting a stand and don't want to be seen by others.

Private land I go full orange because I am not worried about unethical hunters, its just me and family hunting.
Old 07-21-2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotegunner View Post
Use scent free soaps on you and your clothes.If someone washes your clothes with fabric softener it is useless for hunting in the future.
Good luck hunting

Coyotegunner is absolutely right about this ^, don't forget it! LOL Use scent free shampoo, bar soap, deodorant, and whatever you do don't use Cling Free sheets in the dryer with your hunting clothes, big mistake. I'm talking about deer hunting, other types of hunting it may not matter, even if you do all the above plus change your clothes because you broke a sweat, scented down from head to toe, a deer will still wind you, hopefully you'll be close enough it won't matter.
Old 07-21-2013, 6:25 PM

Check out Kuiu gear...
Old 07-21-2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Follow the laws- if the state / area you hunt in require blaze orange, then follow the requirement to the letter of the law.

I believe that the deer family see in black and white so the color does not matter as much as your light reflection.

Modern soaps are great at leaving a film to reflect light. So items seem brighter thus cleaner.

You can buy hunting soap that minimizes the IR and light reflection.

I have not had any issues wolith wearing blaze orange while hunting out of state.

My friend camo up for turkey when they hunt on private land.
Hopefully private land prevents other hunters from wandering around the same area.

On public land, I prefer to be seen as a hunter looks like a hunter.
SOLID POINTS by all the members. I personally use my old woodland pattern for spring turkey, it seems to blend in the best.

As for HOG, depending on the location I have more woodland, DCUs, and my current ACU ( which I am not a big fan of) but mostly, as y'all say- its comfortable, I have lots sets, so I dont care if I damage them.

Deer- will, I will try woodland or MARPAT, depending where I actually go.

Of note, I always thought that whole scent stuff was a gimic. Glad you guys confirmed it's not. Just made a trip to big 5 today and hooked myself up.

Last christmas my wife bought my some SITKA open country stuff. A pair of pants, and two long sleeve shirts, and cap. Damn that stuff is so expensive- Im afraid of taking it to the field!

You guys have a great a Sunday evening.

Until next time

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-22-2013 at 9:07 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 8:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreyman2013 View Post
SOLID POINTS by all the members. I personally use my old woodland pattern for spring turkey, it seems to blend in the best.

As for HOG, depending on the location I have more woodland, DCUs, and my current ACU ( which I am not a big fan of) but mostly, as y'all say- its comfortable, I have lots sets, so I dont care if I damage them.

Deer- will, I will try woodland or MARPAT, depending where I actually go.

Of note, I always thought that whole scent stuff was a gimic. Glad you guys confirmed it's not. Just bad a trip to big 5 today and hooked myself up.

Last christmas my wife bought my some SITKA open country stuff. A pair of pants, and two long sleeve shirts, and cap. Damn that stuff is so expensive- Im afraid of taking it to the field!

You guys have a great a Sunday evening.

Until next time
The only gimmick out there for deer hunting is camo! In fact all camo for hunting is a sales gimmick except for Turkey and duck. These two birds can spot you via color and you are calling them into you as opposed as pursuing them with a dog. Most importat thing is to get whatever works for you. I like wrangler jeans, boots and the shirt of the day.
Old 07-22-2013, 8:35 AM

I don't bother with camo. I just wear earth tone clothes; muted greens and light browns and khakis and tans.

And use eco friendly hippie soap on my hunting clothes to avoid strong fragrances (If I can smell it.....) and color brighteners.
Old 07-22-2013, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
The only gimmick out there for deer hunting is camo! In fact all camo for hunting is a sales gimmick except for Turkey and duck.
I have to agree though. Most camo is to hide from other hunters, not the game.
Old 07-22-2013, 8:49 AM
CGSSA Associate

Sitka gear for me buy once cry once.......the stuff is the best in fit, function and durability.
Old 07-22-2013, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Sitka gear for me buy once cry once.......the stuff is the best in fit, function and durability.
Great function- super comfy. Super EXPENSIVE!

Old 07-22-2013, 1:19 PM

I'm not an archery hunter, but I can't tell you how many times I've had deer, bear, and bobcat walk within yards of me while I've had blue jeans, and a blaze orange hat and vest on. Movement is everything.

That being said. I wear camo too. I like it. Its a bit like dressing up for the prom. You know you're going out to have a good time when you get your camo on. I too am a fan of Sitka gear. And, Cabela's outfitter camo is excellent in most environments.
Old 07-22-2013, 1:53 PM

I saw about a dozen bucks, even had them walking within 10 yards of me on several occasions a couple months back. Wearing jeans and a grey t-shirt. As soon as I moved, they would be gone. If it were season, I would have had many easy kills. Of course, when season opens up, they'll all be gone.
Old 07-22-2013, 2:02 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

For those getting close to deer and especially bucks without it do realize that when the season comes on deer know the season is on (sans yearlings). Mature bucks know its deer season and their patterns and behavior can change drastically.

I wear camo b/c I have a lot of it due to out of state trips where a single shirt/pair of pants will not suffice. Plus most of my stuff is very specifically geared towards certain conditions (heat, cold, breathable, rain, snow, etc.). Not that a pair of carhart pants and a Budweiser t-shirt won't work but I want to put every variable in my favor along with scent control. I am also a bowhunter.
Old 07-22-2013, 3:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Comfort is #1 no matter what color or pattern. Camo is really up to you. Camo does nothing to make you a better hunter. Movement will get you busted faster than not wearing camo.
Comfort #1 that's why I like to wear my old BDU's they are comfortable for all day wear.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-22-2013, 3:47 PM

I prefer wearing camo. Whether or not it does anything, wearing camo just gets me pumped.

-Nick
Old 07-22-2013, 5:27 PM
CGSSA Associate

Ha-ha, good one Nick!!

My grandfather and the rest of the club never used camo, they wore Ben Davis clothing back in the day, I think because it held up well when breaking the brush while pushing deer, etc. The current club, we all wear camo but will never be as successful as those guys were.

Regardless of whether it works or not when hunting deer, I think that confidence plays a big part in hunting or fishing, if you feel better wearing camo go for it, I like and wear it.

Been wearing BDU's since my buddy gave me my first pair from the PX back in '82. I find they're super comfortable and I really like the large side pockets... yes they're usually camo.

Some patterns I like where I hunt are natural gear, woodland, mossy oak shadow grass, max-1 & max-4

Last edited by zio707; 07-22-2013 at 6:31 PM..
Old 07-22-2013, 6:23 PM

I think it depends...but lean towards camo is overrated...

Google "Old Hunting Photos" and this is what you get...

Old 07-22-2013, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I use it. I dont care much about pattern but scent control. Just happens to be that expensive camo comes with scent control too.
There are plenty of scent control too (ex. Silver, carbon, etc) but I like carbon the most because its a natural insect repellent so I dont have to use insect repellent on my hunting clothes.
Old 07-22-2013, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Like others have said....you'll get busted by scent, movement or noise way before your clothing gives you away.

That being said, I wear it because it's part of the process. It puts me in the right frame of mind and makes me feel like I'm hunting and to pay attention.

And it looks cool. On me anyway. Some of you...maybe not so much. lol....
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-22-2013, 7:56 PM

Location: Its a secret for your safety and mine( And FP's) :)

If ur duck huntin i reccomend max4 duck blind

A man becomes one with his weapon- Phil Robertson
Old 07-22-2013, 8:36 PM

+1 on earth tones.
Old 07-22-2013, 9:01 PM

I hunt nude. I see way more big bucks.
Old 07-23-2013, 8:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Noise, movement and scent are likely to bust you long before sight will.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 07-23-2013, 8:48 AM

I believe camo works along with stealth, scent control, scouting. If I'm sitting in a deer blind then obviously camo is less of an issue. Know your quarry - pigs can't see well, but they'll pick up your scent quickly if you park yourself in the wrong place, deer too only they have much better sight. Turkey can't smell much but keen eyesight. Fox, coyote, bobcat have it all going on in the scent and vision dept. Hunting is whatever you want to make of it, my brother is a total natural knowing where and when to be there, always in the perfect spot and a keen shot, either your born with it or not - if not then you employ all of the other elements that will help you succeed.
Old 07-23-2013, 3:04 PM

As long as your not dressed like you're part of a summer solstice parade i think you'll be fine... I think?
Old 07-23-2013, 3:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo soldier ad View Post
As long as your not dressed like you're part of a summer solstice parade i think you'll be fine... I think?

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 07-23-2013, 3:31 PM

I'm with the earth tone crowd. Deer are brown, not multicam. Many mammals are color blind to allow for better night vision. There are some who claim deer see in the UV spectrum so you don't want to wash your camo with "color brightners" in your detergent. Since I hunt pig, camo hasn't been much of an issue. Being still and wind direction are more of a factor. Pigs are smart enough to stay near cattle or other animals with better vision to tip them off.

Birds on the other hand are not color blind. When I hunt dove, I wear Mossy Oak Brush t-shirts and long pants because of the brush I sometimes have to go through. I'd wear jeans but the BDU's are cooler. Had a mourning dove land in a tree four feet above my head because it didn't notice me. Here again, being still was probably more of a factor. Dove will start to turn away and juke if I pick up and swing my shotgun to soon. +1 on comfort.